Your Earliest Gaston memories and what made you a fan? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-07-2004, 02:56 PM   #1
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Your Earliest Gaston memories and what made you a fan?

I got this idea from the chat thread and I was wondering what were the reasons and when did you first notice that Gaston was someone worth cheering for?

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2004, 05:37 PM   #2
country flag Choupi

Choupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Your Earliest Gaston memories and what made you a fan?

Hi everybody,

I'm Choupi from France. I've registered some time ago but this is my first post.

Well, I discovered GG a few years ago, when he began to play in RG. I mean when French tv commentators decided that he was suddenly existing and shew some of his first round matches. But I must admit that I really became a fan when I saw him this year. First match against Canas was tight. Won in 5 sets but could have lost in 5 too, as he told French journalists. His play improved from day to day. He gave a tennis lesson to Hewitt! That made me say, wow, that man's a big one. Let's see if he manages through to the end.
I saw every match. The final was so incredible. We've never seen that before in RG! The first thing he did right after the match point was incredible too. Clapping in the hands of the public was something no other winner had ever done before. He was so thankful for their support. I cried like a baby when Vilas gave him the trophy. That day, he definitely won my heart.

I'm following his results very closely since that magical day of june 2004.

That's my story. My cheering's very recent but it's very strong.

Bye everybody
Choupi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 06:04 PM   #3
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your Earliest Gaston memories and what made you a fan?

I first saw Gaston play in Monte Carlo in 2000, when he beat Marat Safin 7-6, 6-0. He was awesome in that match, and since that time I vowed to keep an eye on him and his results. The next year I saw his match against Guillermo Canas at Wimbledon - OK Willy won, but it was a tremendous 5-setter, and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing clay court tennis played on the hallowed turf of SW19 if that makes sense.

Since then I have watched Gaston in all my (many) tennis travels, and have laughed (and cried) with him along the way. Gaston is not always the easiest player to support, but he has tremendous "heart", courage and determination, and I respect him enormously.

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 08:23 PM   #4
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute

Me? Last year, after he beat Schuettler in DC. From that point on, I started checking his results. Although, like Rosie said, he's not the easiest player to support, he certainly hangs on in there and gives it his best. I always got the feeling that he was due for a breakthrough soon, and break through he did.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:36 PM   #5
User id 7816

User id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond reputeUser id 7816 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I only started following the pro tennis events since Shanghai 2002 (must be the ''latest'' fan over here), and my earliest memory of Gato is from his encounter with Ferrero (the guy who got me interested in followin tennis on the 1st place), and that was in Monte Carlo '03....didn't really become a fan of him from the 1st match have to say, so I don't have too many clear memories from last year until....I decided to go to the DC semifinal in Spain because I realised that I'd be able to see both Ferrero and Gaston there!
I was supporting Spain but I wanted it to be as close as possible, I wasn't aware at that time how important the DC is for Gaston, so I didn't really feel bad at his losses, just happy to be there and be able to feel the amazing atmosphere! ...I was able to see him after his notorious loss to Moya in the last match, and even got a foto with him and I wished him to win the DC this year....well hopefully he will next!!....Since these few days I realised he's a very nice guy and that was a great thing to discover. It wasn't hard to fall in love with his backhand and his character on court. So I guess I secretly hoped that he'll achieve something great at RG, and the rest is history. One thing that Im very thankful is that he proved to me that nothing is impossible.
User id 7816 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 09:43 PM   #6
country flag Fergie
Miss Fabray

Fergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond repute

I love Gaston since I saw him to play here in the Viña del Mar in 2001, there hurt me much that Gaston was losing this final because played great the whole week. From there I tried to see all the matchs that I can, and thankfully Gaston always comes to Chile to play

Pain is only temporary but victory is forever
Fergie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 11:43 PM   #7
country flag MeluG

MeluG has a reputation beyond reputeMeluG has a reputation beyond reputeMeluG has a reputation beyond reputeMeluG has a reputation beyond reputeMeluG has a reputation beyond reputeMeluG has a reputation beyond reputeMeluG has a reputation beyond reputeMeluG has a reputation beyond reputeMeluG has a reputation beyond reputeMeluG has a reputation beyond reputeMeluG has a reputation beyond repute

I first met Gaston back in 1998 in a challenger in my hometown. He was playing against Marcelo Filippini, he lost but he pulled away a wonderful first set wining 6-1. I think he lost 6-1 5-7 6-7. It was a tight match with a big willy from him and all. I was waiting for an Squillari (he's one of my favourites as well) match to start but I got trapped by GG's game. I've heard of him in the news but never payed attention since he didn't play ATP tournaments. Then on 1999 I met him personally during another challenger and exchanged a few words, he was so shy! Then in a tournament in Buenos Aires We met again in a funny episode with my car. He started to laugh and made fun of me and that was the begining of my website and his fluent communication with me. I became more hunted by his game as he started to appear in TMS and GS (on tv) and here I am now, a total Gaudio fan. And I know he appreciates it and he remembered it after his moment of glory which is priceless for me =O)

Melu =O)

"Algunos piensan que yo fui el impulsor de esa reunión y yo, por mi carácter, no puedo organizar ni mi casa" (Gaudio, 2004).

Gaston Gaudio Mania
MeluG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:42 AM   #8
country flag lsy

lsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying hard to think which was the first match I had watched of Gaudio but really can't recall except that it wasn't good. So I would say the first match that I thought this guy is so good to watch was him vs Rogi in Montreal 03. Since then I always keep an eye on his results, unfortunately it's very seldom I get him on tv. Then his match vs Hewitt in Monte Carlo and I was cheering so loud for him in front of the tv but he choked despite playing so well ...I was disappointed but just love watching his backhand too much and my feeling is this guy is so vulnerable and I just can't help but have to cheer even more for him.

Needless to say I was extremely happy when he played so well till the end to beat Hewitt in FO, I was almost scared that he was going to choke again in that 3rd set but he didn't . So many talked about Coria cramping but what I saw was him reacting to the crowd cheers in the 3rd set and finally started to play what he was capable of, make me feels again this guy just needs lots of support

So I'm one lucky fan compared to many here, I only have to suffer for a few disappointments before he not only won but won the one that matters most. I thank him for making this year 4 slams being won by all players I like
lsy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 01:40 PM   #9
country flag Eiffel

Eiffel has a reputation beyond reputeEiffel has a reputation beyond reputeEiffel has a reputation beyond reputeEiffel has a reputation beyond reputeEiffel has a reputation beyond reputeEiffel has a reputation beyond reputeEiffel has a reputation beyond reputeEiffel has a reputation beyond reputeEiffel has a reputation beyond reputeEiffel has a reputation beyond reputeEiffel has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed him because his always beated JC I cursed that and wanna see who he was

cause when I see his pics, I think he smile like an angel so I fall in love with him

Juan Carlos Ferrero | Feliciano López | Mario Ancic | Roger Federer | Marat Safin
__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Daniela Justine Amelie All the Chinese
Eiffel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 02:36 PM   #10
country flag michelleg

michelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond repute

Probably 2000, when I noticed not Gaston first, but his coach.

<<hey at least I'm being honest!>>

Don't know if I ever posted it here, but I have mountains of pics of Gaston from RG still posted at http://communities.msn.com/tennispics2004 AND I have Franco pics there, too, in case anyone is interested (lol)
michelleg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 02:42 PM   #11
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleg
Probably 2000, when I noticed not Gaston first, but his coach.

<<hey at least I'm being honest!>>

Don't know if I ever posted it here, but I have mountains of pics of Gaston from RG still posted at http://communities.msn.com/tennispics2004 AND I have Franco pics there, too, in case anyone is interested (lol)
Oh - so true Michelle! Actually, as I get older I notice coaches get more and MORE attractive to me - guess it's because I'm nearer in age to them than I am to most of the players these days Hope to catch up with you (and the occasional tennis coach!) very soon in Paris!

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
Old 10-08-2004, 05:03 PM   #12
country flag MeluG

MeluG has a reputation beyond reputeMeluG has a reputation beyond reputeMeluG has a reputation beyond reputeMeluG has a reputation beyond reputeMeluG has a reputation beyond reputeMeluG has a reputation beyond reputeMeluG has a reputation beyond reputeMeluG has a reputation beyond reputeMeluG has a reputation beyond reputeMeluG has a reputation beyond reputeMeluG has a reputation beyond repute

Which coach Michelle? F. Davin? Cause GG has had manyso far. I remember: Gaby Mena,Horacio de La Peña (the worst choice GG could have done in his career), Tony Pena, Martin Jaite, Javier Frana & Franco Davin (God hail the king! ). I'm missing two but I can't remember them right now.

Cheers!
Melu

Melu =O)

"Algunos piensan que yo fui el impulsor de esa reunión y yo, por mi carácter, no puedo organizar ni mi casa" (Gaudio, 2004).

Gaston Gaudio Mania
MeluG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 05:58 PM   #13
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeluG
Which coach Michelle? F. Davin? Cause GG has had manyso far. I remember: Gaby Mena,Horacio de La Peña (the worst choice GG could have done in his career), Tony Pena, Martin Jaite, Javier Frana & Franco Davin (God hail the king! ). I'm missing two but I can't remember them right now.

Cheers!
Melu
Melu - one of your missing two is Eduardo Infantino (David's Coach now) who worked with Gaston in the early days. Not sure who the other one is though!!

Old 10-08-2004, 08:16 PM   #14
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Well like most good things how I discovered Gaston was by accident. FB and I were wandering around the qualifying at the 1999 French Open, then we stumbled on Gaston's first match against Van Scheppingen and we decided to watch it, and which he won 7-5 in the 3rd and thought yes I liked his game, then saw some more of his matches. His last one was against the very pedestrian Furlan, and we were so hoping he got through to the main draw and he managed to do so.

Then when the main tournament started, we kept an eye on his results and then the 2nd round was great, as I witnessed Gaston's first 5 set win, coming back from 2 sets to love down vs Karbacher and it was only 5 years later that he won his 2nd 5 setter. Yes, the backhand is a work of art, he does move very well and he is tactically quite good when he decides to be. He lost to Corretja that year, one of my faves, but I thought, this is a guy I am going to take notice of his results.

The rest of that year, he had a win here and a win there, then Monte Carlo 2000 arrived and I saw him play Safin and then Mantilla and after these wins, then this guy known as Gaudio became a man that I was going to support.

All the chokes aside, I am not sure what was the worst one. He had 2 horrible DC episodes, the Russian one was bad for so many reasons, especially when an umpire who should be condemned as blind Jorge Dias decides to make an overrule, which was wrong to Kafelnikov on Gaston's match point when he was leading 5-1 in the 5th, then he loses. The non-winning of 14 games in a row in Malaga, the numerous chokes he has had against Ferrero, the two against Federer.

Even with all those chokes, and the sometime negative feelings on the court, it didn't stop me supporting him, it actually made it easier to do so. It comes from a tradition of supporting teams that aren't always successful.

The more I learnt about him as a guy, the more I liked about his character.

Even winning the French Open Gaston managed to put me through a varying emotional depths, the deer in headlights at the start, then the thoughts of a shorter final than in 2003. The wave came along and Gaston doing the wave, and then thought to myself, now settle down and fight like never before, this might be his only chance to win, and that 5th set, had so many twists and turns and I could handle it, if he lost to certain players, but not that whiny little cheat Coria who was up to his old tricks again.

Then the backhand across court released so many feelings, not just for Gaston, but for all the crap that he had to take and the fact that it's not easy to support him, made it that much sweeter.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:17 PM   #15
country flag joeb_uk

joeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm my first time i saw gaudio was at monte carlo (playing hewitt) i heard lots of good things about him, and he sounded like the kind of player i would like. in a way, i was almost sure i would like him (before even seeing him play that is how i felt about mantilla also)
I really liked the way he hit the ball and moved around the court, so i watched a couple more of his matches, WTC and hamburg. i started to really like him, and during rg i wanted him to do well. also nice that i got to see 2/3 of my favourite 3 players (at roland garros, nalbandian - gaudio, also kind of special that it was my first tournament/match i had been to) just wished i could have got tickets for the final

gaudio is probably one of my 3 main players:
Mantilla (1st)
gaudio and nalbandian (2nd)
joeb_uk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote