Nadal's serve - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #31
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal's Serve

Quote:
Now we're all well aware that Rafa doesn't get as many free points or serve as many aces as the other top players, but is it really because he can't or that he chooses not to?
Believe me, if he could fire down aces like Ivanisevic, he would, and he'd be damned near unstoppable. Truth is, he has one of the worst serving techniques on tour, and the power he does get is almost all from his arm. You really need to learn the correct technique from a young age but Nadal's forte is in his groundstrokes, so those extra hours he spent rallying rather than practicing the serve have made him the player he is today.

It seems, you can't have the PERFECT player with world class groundies and a world class serve. Maybe the chosen one will come along one day though, Federer wasn't far off at his peak.

Nadal has worked on adopting a strategy on serve though instead. For the most part, it works well, especially on clay.
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #32
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laba View Post
Now we're all well aware that Rafa doesn't get as many free points or serve as many aces as the other top players, but is it really because he can't or that he chooses not to? He doesn't have a very powerful first serve, but if he can hit overheads in play at around 200 KM/H or more... why wouldn't he swing so freely when it comes to serving?

His service motion is probably hindering him from hitting faster and flatter, perhaps muscling the ball a little much and forcing it rather than developing a rhythm for "easy power"... but do you think he'll change that? It's something I've always wanted him to do, but would it be too hard and too much effort to re-work his serve at this stage of his career and keep the percentages up? He saved many break points in the SF against Murray, almost of which he had to fight out or finish at the net if his serve didn't draw an error.

I just think he could make it easier on himself if he had a tougher serve to return by not only mounting more pressure on his opponents with easier holds, but conserving energy too. He has improved his serve over the last few years for sure, but I think there is definitely more room to grow.

Thoughts, opinions, whatever... discuss.
You're saying that he might be saying to himself "No, I don't want to smack aces everywhere"

Of course he would if he could, he just isnt a talented server, all their is in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
I knew I was going to regret, reading inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Weren't you just pestering another guy about his grammar, not so long ago?
Quote:
And your problem with my grammar is?
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #33
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

And you get this crap every year that "his serve is now becoming a weapon" is it hell, it never will be. Nowhere near.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-09-2008, 10:32 AM   #34
country flag Burrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthesis View Post
What dusk said. It may be way Nadal will never win a hardcourt slam. After all, can you remember the last pusher-type to win the US Open? Hewitt in 2001.
Hewitt has a pretty good serve, definitely one of the most accurate out their, plus he can hit it pretty hard as well.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-09-2008, 10:34 AM   #35
country flag Burrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidusZidane View Post
Believe me, if he could fire down aces like Ivanisevic, he would, and he'd be damned near unstoppable. Truth is, he has one of the worst serving techniques on tour, and the power he does get is almost all from his arm. You really need to learn the correct technique from a young age but Nadal's forte is in his groundstrokes, so those extra hours he spent rallying rather than practicing the serve have made him the player he is today.

It seems, you can't have the PERFECT player with world class groundies and a world class serve. Maybe the chosen one will come along one day though, Federer wasn't far off at his peak.

Nadal has worked on adopting a strategy on serve though instead. For the most part, it works well, especially on clay.
Uh...pretty much any player in the top 500 has world class groundstrokes and serve...
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #36

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Uh...pretty much any player in the top 500 has world class groundstrokes and serve...
Nit picking much? I see you have a lot of time on your hands. Ok, insert a more appropriate superlative if it will help you understand my post better.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #37
country flag Laba

Laba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You're saying that he might be saying to himself "No, I don't want to smack aces everywhere"

Of course he would if he could, he just isnt a talented server, all their is in it.
I worded it wrong, I didn't mean it that literally. Of course everyone would love to smash aces. It all comes down to his service motion which is very limiting, so I guess my question is will he ever change it or tweak it more to benefit a stronger serve or is too late for that?
Old 09-09-2008, 11:01 AM   #38
country flag Chiseller

Chiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond repute

Who's that ugly ginger? Doesn't look too bad
Chiseller is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #39
country flag MacTheKnife
10S NE1

MacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond repute

Murray demonstrated clearly that Nadal has no options right now on his serve. By standing 10 meters behind the baseline, he frustrated Nadal and he obviously had no answer so he simply started spinning his first serve in an attempt to keep Murray off his 2nd serve. You can bet others will now exploit this so Nadal better start practicing serving to spots wide on both sides. Agree with everyone else, he doesn't have power and probably won't, but you can certainly learn to hit spots on a consistent basis, under pressure.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:59 AM   #40
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

He can reach over 130mph on his serve if he really goes for it.

The problems are:
a) His first serve % would suffer, and his 2nd serve (although hard to attack) isn't that strong.
b) He seems to be of the mentality that an accurate serve will set up the point, it doesn't have to necessarily be an ace or an unreturnable.

His serve is perfect for clay. On grass it can be fairly effective. On hard courts, it will always hold him back.
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #41
country flag MatchFederer
-Cheese, Bacon, SOWsages-

MatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond repute

Nice avatar adee-gee.

Nice comments Mac the knife, and I agree. Nadal could struggle in a couple of years when he will probably have slightly less large advantages over other top players in terms of groundstrokes and will therefore need his serve to start functioning more effectively than it currently is.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:36 PM   #42
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

What he said. Ultra mug.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #43
country flag ToniTennis

ToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It seems, you can't have the PERFECT player with world class groundies and a world class serve. Maybe the chosen one will come along one day though
Lol, I like that one . A player who will bring peace to MTF .

Don't mind if I consider adding it to my sig.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniTennis View Post
Lol, I like that one . A player who will bring peace to MTF .

Don't mind if I consider adding it to my sig.
Haha, I'm not sure that's possible but Jan Silva will try his best

And yes, feel free to add anything to your sig
Old 09-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #45
country flag kobulingam

kobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond reputekobulingam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolka View Post
It's all about the technique and the serving motion, doesn't really matter that he can smash an overhead with a lot of speed. He can serve above 200 km/h, we all saw it. Just not consistently. He still can't hit an above average second serve to save his life, but he's improving. His inside out (?) serve is much better then what it was, it's a real weapon now. I can recall at one point during the Wimbledon final they showed the statistic about unreturned serves, Roger had maybe 56-58, something like that, and Rafa had 51 or 53, and i think it was in the fourth, maybe fifth. Okay, Roger returning game was absolutely off, but still, Rafa is improving in this department. I think he and Tony will put in a lot of effort to keep improving it. I think we all lucky though that he don't have a special serve, imagine him with a "Samprasque" serve, that would be ugly. I'm talking about "Golden Slam 2008 ugly" kind of thing.

At Wimbledon every year Rafa serves about 10kph harder than he for the rest of the year. He always seems to amp his serve at Wimbledon, then the speed increases slowly vanish by the time US Open arrives. Then he amps it against right before the next Wimbledon.
kobulingam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote