Davis Cup 2011 Final in Seville, Spain - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #91
country flag Sasja

Sasja has a reputation beyond reputeSasja has a reputation beyond reputeSasja has a reputation beyond reputeSasja has a reputation beyond reputeSasja has a reputation beyond reputeSasja has a reputation beyond reputeSasja has a reputation beyond reputeSasja has a reputation beyond reputeSasja has a reputation beyond reputeSasja has a reputation beyond reputeSasja has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Davis Cup 2011 Final in Seville, Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaV View Post
Ladies!
Delpo will be a force to be reckoned with next year (if he can stay uninjured)! Played actually a great match and gave it his all again as usual, Rafa was just able to pull himself together in critical moments after the first set. Big Al Costa also said Delpo played a great match! My respect Dr Sue & others!
This

He was so close to win that 4th set. But shame he couldn't serve it out.
But the match was closer than I expected. He played well. Rafa was the better player at the important points.

Mentally it must be tough for him. Chances against Ferrer and now against Nadal

Even though Argentina lost it was a great final. The crowd was amazing

If Delpo and Nalbandian stay injury free, they really have another chance next season with Monaco and a good doubles team!
Hopefully they finally can get their revenge on Spain then
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #92
country flag Carlita
Bite me.....

Carlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond repute

Svetlana, we have a place for these type of posts...it is called General Messages. Please go rant in there thanks.

And Milagre, muchas gracias!! Im happy Spain won (because of Fernando ) But I wanted a 5th rubber and had a slight preference for Argentina to win this time because I think it is about time they did.

Im proud of both teams for fighting this hard to get to the final and Im also happy it wasnt a complete whitewash! The Argies gave Spain a run for their money, especially in doubles and today. Play Rafa on clay, at home, in DC and a DC final...well.... that cannot be easy! He turns into a claymonster (and Fer looked like a fangirl going )

Im sure Juanie's day will come when he can hold the DC trophy. He's young afterall and has got a bright future ahead of him

And Getta...that post just made me choke on my coffee
Carlita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #93
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasja View Post
This

He was so close to win that 4th set. But shame he couldn't serve it out.
But the match was closer than I expected. He played well.

Mentally it must be tough for him. Chances against Ferrer and now against Nadal

If Delpo and Nalbandian stay injury free, they really have another chance next season!
And the guts too. I can see Sveta's concern about the mental baggage here. I wonder ( and of course will never know) if he was carrying baggage already from the 2008 final. Although I have not watched the match yet; reading some of the posters on GM suggests that he had let downs at points where he is typically so tough. And I have stated this before this year but his stamina or lack thereof is also concerning. No mono here Delpo- stop all kissing
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #94
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

"Carlita"- I don't call Getta the cryptic comedienne for nothing
And Sveta- you sound very disappointed and I think you need a virtual Hang in there and I hope 2012 will be an even better year for him and us fans.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #95
country flag Sasja

Sasja has a reputation beyond reputeSasja has a reputation beyond reputeSasja has a reputation beyond reputeSasja has a reputation beyond reputeSasja has a reputation beyond reputeSasja has a reputation beyond reputeSasja has a reputation beyond reputeSasja has a reputation beyond reputeSasja has a reputation beyond reputeSasja has a reputation beyond reputeSasja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
And the guts too. I can see Sveta's concern about the mental baggage here. I wonder ( and of course will never know) if he was carrying baggage already from the 2008 final. Although I have not watched the match yet; reading some of the posters on GM suggests that he had let downs at points where he is typically so tough. And I have stated this before this year but his stamina or lack thereof is also concerning. No mono here Delpo- stop all kissing
That's indeed concerning.
Yeah, I mean he served for the 4th set at 5-3 but couldn't close it out. Then Rafa came back. But even if he did win the 4th set, I'm not sure if he could have won. After his long match on Friday where he totally ran out of gas I don't think he would have had the energy in that final set. Especially against Rafa.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #96
country flag Carlita
Bite me.....

Carlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
sure it is...but this was a come back year....this way there is only room for improvement. But for some he has to go from 0-100 within 3 seconds
Old 12-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #97
country flag milagre

milagre has a reputation beyond reputemilagre has a reputation beyond reputemilagre has a reputation beyond reputemilagre has a reputation beyond reputemilagre has a reputation beyond reputemilagre has a reputation beyond reputemilagre has a reputation beyond reputemilagre has a reputation beyond reputemilagre has a reputation beyond reputemilagre has a reputation beyond reputemilagre has a reputation beyond repute

Well,Carlita, now that you have said it, I too rooted for Argentina as its really about time they finally win it, but youre right, Spain(Rafa) on claycourt- not much left to hope for. And I agree, the crowd and the whole atmosphere-nothing short of amazing! On a funnier note, people here have also commented on Fers"cheerleading" , saying he deserves something like a "golden ponpon" for his efforts!
As for Delpo, I agree he has in a way taken " a step back" both mentally and physically since that wrist injury and has some serious work to do in both fields to get back to his old (2009) self, but I really dont see why he wouldnt be able to achieve it,if he remains more or less injury-free and focused on the goal, especially now that he knows hes fully capable of reaching it. And to me that doesnt mean becoming GOAT or anything like that, just a couple of more Grand slams, maybe number one spot if theres some luck and lots of great tennis we know he can play. Oh, yes, and a Davis cup, of course!
milagre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #98
country flag Svetlana T.
Banned!

Svetlana T. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana T. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana T. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana T. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana T. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana T. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana T. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana T. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana T. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana T. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana T. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Now this I actually agree with. He was supposed to be the "goat" but there are so many variables along the way that sometimes it doesn't happen. However his career isn't over yet and I guess I am just one of those people who enjoys watching tennis for the battles that occur on the court. But I don't really care if he becomes number one; that's not important to me as a fan. I just enjoy watching him play- great when he wins and ok when he doesn't.
Do I or will I ever know him personally? No but at least on court and the way he handles himself in the press makes me like him. I had a behind the scenes experience a few years back that made me realize what assholes some of these players really are And he doesn't strike me as that type of asshole. At least I hope not

And life gives you as many opportunities that you sometimes make yourself
Well he most definitely will never become number one, let alone a GOAT now. I have resigned myself to that and I accept it. But that's him playing on the ATP tour, this was him playing for his country. It's a completely different dimension, totally new dynamics.

And there, this amount of choking is not acceptable. Or this amount of tiredness either. Particularly, when you are you team's best player (or at least best ranked).

Can you imagine a Bryant choking in all 7 matches of the NBA finals? I am not comparing him to Bryant, I am comparing the situations. Or a Messi missing a decisive penalty in a final penalty shoot-out for his team?

That's called letting the team down. And the thing gets worse, because Argentina have never won the damn cup. Had he won this, he would have been the biggest national hero since Maradona.

Nobody really expected a win either, so he could have played without pressure. But then he comes up against Ferrer, starts slowly, regroups by playing some of his best tennis only to become tired at one point. He didn't play for 4 weeks and comes so unprepared for the biggest match of his life?

Then thanks to Nalbandian and Schwank, he gets another chance to redeem himself. Again, nobody expects him to win, and he starts by playing an absolute blinder only to start choking for no apparent reason whatsoever. He repeats that again in the fourth set. One word comes to mind and it's ridiculous.

It's not like he played a peak Nadal either, but rather a subdued one with a tough season behind him. He could and should have won both his rubbers.
Svetlana T. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #99
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svetlana T. View Post
Well he most definitely will never become number one, let alone a GOAT now. I have resigned myself to that and I accept it. But that's him playing on the ATP tour, this was him playing for his country. It's a completely different dimension, totally new dynamics.

And there, this amount of choking is not acceptable. Or this amount of tiredness either. Particularly, when you are you team's best player (or at least best ranked).

Can you imagine a Bryant choking in all 7 matches of the NBA finals? I am not comparing him to Bryant, I am comparing the situations. Or a Messi missing a decisive penalty in a final penalty shoot-out for his team?

That's called letting the team down. And the thing gets worse, because Argentina have never won the damn cup. Had he won this, he would have been the biggest national hero since Maradona.

Nobody really expected a win either, so he could have played without pressure. But then he comes up against Ferrer, starts slowly, regroups by playing some of his best tennis only to become tired at one point. He didn't play for 4 weeks and comes so unprepared for the biggest match of his life?

Then thanks to Nalbandian and Schwank, he gets another chance to redeem himself. Again, nobody expects him to win, and he starts by playing an absolute blinder only to start choking for no apparent reason whatsoever. He repeats that again in the fourth set. One word comes to mind and it's ridiculous.

It's not like he played a peak Nadal either, but rather a subdued one with a tough season behind him. He could and should have won both his rubbers.
Now this is constructive criticism and I agree with it ( again I need to watch this last match) but yes the Ferrer one I do see what you are saying. But doesn't it make you wonder why this happened? Maybe there are no excuses except he isn't as fit as he should be but he had been not too long ago so I just find it all so strange. Then again can't speak about what one doesn't know.
I am also curious as to what will happen back in Argentina. I am hopeful that he isn't crucified because that would take a toll on anyone.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #100
country flag Svetlana T.
Banned!

Svetlana T. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana T. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana T. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana T. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana T. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana T. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana T. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana T. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana T. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana T. has a reputation beyond reputeSvetlana T. has a reputation beyond repute

He was toying with Rafa until 6-1 1-0 40-0, it was unbelievable to watch, totally reminiscent of 2009. And then he stopped. He had some chances afterwards too, but it's like he resigned himself that it was not meant to be.

He went from breaking Nadal in all games to not being able to win a single point on his serve. OK, Rafa did step up, but only after he started choking. He obviously sensed the blood.

As for Ferrer, he is a better player than the Spaniard, clay or no clay. There are no excuses for that loss, especially as she was 2-1 up with Ferrer looking spent.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:39 PM   #101
country flag Carlita
Bite me.....

he also got both legs taped.....and had he won this match.....he wouldnt have been a national heroe either...because the one who would have won the 5th rubber would get that honour.

The season has been long and hard on all players....not just Nadal. Nadal is like Agassi when it comes to Davis Cup....they turn into something supernatural....and can get quite scary

For me he doesnt have to be the goat (man I hate that word ) I just want him to live and learn and do what HE thinks is best for him. Us fans have no say in it....(unless you're on the payroll). Imo Federer is the best player ever and that I doubt he will ever be replaced. So it would be an almost impossible thing to aim for.

I will keep on cheering in good and bad times. Right now Im proud of him and he can be proud of his comeback year.

btw...what happened to: last post and goodbye to this place?
Old 12-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #102
country flag milagre

milagre has a reputation beyond reputemilagre has a reputation beyond reputemilagre has a reputation beyond reputemilagre has a reputation beyond reputemilagre has a reputation beyond reputemilagre has a reputation beyond reputemilagre has a reputation beyond reputemilagre has a reputation beyond reputemilagre has a reputation beyond reputemilagre has a reputation beyond reputemilagre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlita View Post
he also got both legs taped.....and had he won this match.....he wouldnt have been a national heroe either...because the one who would have won the 5th rubber would get that honour.

The season has been long and hard on all players....not just Nadal. Nadal is like Agassi when it comes to Davis Cup....they turn into something supernatural....and can get quite scary

For me he doesnt have to be the goat (man I hate that word ) I just want him to live and learn and do what HE thinks is best for him. Us fans have no say in it....(unless you're on the payroll). Imo Federer is the best player ever and that I doubt he will ever be replaced. So it would be an almost impossible thing to aim for.

I will keep on cheering in good and bad times. Right now Im proud of him and he can be proud of his comeback year.

btw...what happened to: last post and goodbye to this place?
Especially for that last sentence.As for the possible "crucifiction", how it all reminds me of the situation over here after our semifinals loss against the very same Delpo cause of Noles retirement due to injury,there were lots of terrible comments, accusations-why did he play if he wasnt up to it and guess what-those people would have said the same things had he said he could not play for his countrz cause he feels he is not up to it, so if the same "fate" befalls Delpo back home, all I can say is what I thought in Noles case-those people simply do not deserve him, period!
milagre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #103
country flag Svetlana T.
Banned!

Just to clarify, I didn't mean the GOAT, but one of the all time greats, just a GOAT, or one of the GOATs lol. Anyway, it doesn't matter now.

Nadal didn't look scary to me today, in fact it was Juan that looked scary until he decided to stop playing.

As for my posting, I didn't expect people to respond me, so I had to clarify some things.

I am kinda glad I woke up this place a bit, but I promise I won't continue.

Good look to all of you in cheering for him, you will all need it.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #104
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by milagre View Post
Especially for that last sentence.As for the possible "crucifiction", how it all reminds me of the situation over here after our semifinals loss against the very same Delpo cause of Noles retirement due to injury,there were lots of terrible comments, accusations-why did he play if he wasnt up to it and guess what-those people would have said the same things had he said he could not play for his countrz cause he feels he is not up to it, so if the same "fate" befalls Delpo back home, all I can say is what I thought in Noles case-those people simply do not deserve him, period!
to the media bs;And that hurts the players imo.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #105
country flag Carlita
Bite me.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svetlana T. View Post

Good look to all of you in cheering for him, you will all need it.
naaah, it's really easy, no luck needed.