Fedovic Thread - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-07-2011, 05:07 AM   #1
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Fedovic Thread

Well, we have Fedal, Rafole and Nolandy, why not a Fedovic thread? I'm not even a fan of Nole but what the heck, let's do this

Roger is too perfect

Arkulari is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 05:27 AM   #2
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fedovic Thread

Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:28 AM   #3

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

This is not really relevant, only enjoyable.
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Old 07-07-2011, 05:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijana Djokovic, Immortal Mountain Hag
The King is dead. Long live The King.
Quote:
January 29, 2008

Does Serb's victory herald a new force in tennis? Mum Dijana thinks so, writes Jessica Halloran.

THE king is dead. So says Dijana Djokovic after her son, Novak, dethroned reigning champion Roger Federer on Sunday night.

Soon after the world No.3's Australian Open triumph, Dijana told the Herald the Djokovic camp had concluded the world No.1's reign was at an end.

Dijana said that, coming into this tournament, her son no longer saw the Swiss master as "the king". So it proved when the 20-year-old blew him off the court in the semi-final last Friday. "As we said, 'The king is dead, long live the king'," Dijana said.

Dijana also predicted the Australian Open would be the first of many grand slams and that her son would take over the No.1 ranking in due course.

Djokovic disposed of 12-time grand slam winner Federer in straight sets and dropped just one set in the tournament, to unseeded Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the final.

Last year's loss to Federer in the US Open final proved to be the turning point for Djokovic's career, Dijana revealed.

Father Srdjan had told his son after that disappointment that Federer's fourth successive US Open title could be his last, and that Novak had the maturity to succeed the Swiss.

"No [he didn't see him as the king coming into the tournament]," Dijana said. "Because the last time the US Open they played, my husband said, 'This is the last time he win against Novak'. Because Novak was making the points with Federer's weapon. He told him that he is so mature that he can win, like him [Federer]."

Inexperience cost the Serbian at Flushing Meadows last year, when he lost the final in straight sets. But this time around, Djokovic was prepared.

"[This time] mentally, he very strong," Dijana said. "US Open, it was his first grand slam final. You can just imagine, he is 20, you imagine you go in front of 23,000 people playing against the king. He was a little bit shaky. I know that he has so many points he can win, but he didn't use it - so now he is very, very mentally strong."

Another motivating factor for Djokovic was having all of his family - Dijana, father Srdjan and brothers Marko, 16, and Djordje, 12 - living with him at a rented apartment in the Melbourne suburb of South Yarra for the duration of the tournament.

"I think it's very important that we gave him support that he needed," Dijana said. "We are away from home for one month, this is a big support for him. When he's a long way from home, he feels nostalgic. Very nostalgic. Now we are all here, the brothers are here … it's what we want."

The family came to Australia confident that Djokovic would win, but it was that defeat of Federer in the finals that confirmed to Dijana her son could take out the title.

"Of course we believed he was going to win," she said. "After he win over Federer three-love, I was pretty sure he was going to win this tournament and because he was hitting very well."

As Dijana fielded a flood of phone calls from Serbia and scrolled her way through numerous text messages, her elation was clear. "Can you just imagine how I feel? We feel so proud, so happy," she said. "We have been waiting for this moment for so many years. We know that he was going to win. This is just the first one of many, for sure. Just remember that. This is a big moment for us."

Although the Djokovic camp was all smiles as Novak held aloft the Norman Brookes Challenge Cup, they had been upset during the match by a loud group of French fans seated just a few rows behind their box.

Djokovic's coach, Marian Vajda, said the family asked for them to be moved and at one stage Srdjan encouraged some Serbian fans into their box to counter the noise.

"I don't expect that," Vajda said. "There was a misunderstanding. The tournament here, they probably mixed up with the boxes, they put the tickets [on the other side]. They give the tickets on the French side to our side. They have to solve this problem, for sure. We complained, to have the guys taken away. This was not a comfortable situation … it was completely strange, I tell you."
http://www.smh.com.au/news/tennis/dj...e#contentSwap1
Quote:
Old 07-07-2011, 05:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger 'not so fast' Federer
Remember when I lost a couple of months ago? It was mono. Yeah.
Quote:
Roger Federer’s intriguing season continues Monday with a singles match in New York that will not count in the rankings but has still managed to sell out 19,000 seats in Madison Square Garden.

Federer’s latest exhibition duel with Pete Sampras is just that: an exhibition. But it comes at a particularly sensitive stage of Federer’s brilliant career. He has played only two tournaments in 2008 and lost twice to 20-year-olds, with Novak Djokovic manhandling him in the semifinals of the Australian Open and Andy Murray upsetting him in the first round in Dubai after Federer took a five-week break from competition.

Crisis? Perhaps, but, as it turns out, Federer, who is 26, has not been practicing full disclosure.

Last month, after falling ill for the third time in six weeks, he had extensive tests in his native Switzerland and in Dubai, where he lives part time. According to Federer, the conclusion was that he had contracted mononucleosis.

Federer had already said he experienced food poisoning before the Australian Open, which he said disrupted his preparation for that tournament, eventually won by Djokovic. But Federer, who complained of feeling sluggish during the Open, said it appeared that the mononucleosis was the more serious issue.

“The doctors said I must have had it for at least six weeks, which went all the way back to December,” Federer said in a telephone interview from Dubai, explaining that he had now been medically cleared to compete.

Mononucleosis is an infection usually caused by the Epstein-Barr virus. It can produce flulike symptoms and extreme, lingering fatigue. Physicians often discourage those with mononucleosis from taking part in intense physical activity because of the risk of rupturing the spleen, which can become enlarged because of the infection.

“When I heard it was mono, I was actually even more happy to have made the semifinals of the Australian Open, because probably a doctor would have said, You’re not allowed or can’t play,” Federer said.

Federer was also aware that mononucleosis forced Mario Ancic, a former top-10 player from Croatia, to miss six months of the 2007 season, including Wimbledon.

“There was a soccer player in my home club in Switzerland who was out for two years,” Federer said. “You hear two years, and you hear six months. So I was like, oh my God.”

Federer said he was unable to practice for about 10 days in February and received medical clearance to begin training five days before the tournament in Dubai began March 3.

“They weren’t sure I was over it, but now I’m creating antibodies, and this really shows you are over it,” he said. “But I lost a lot of fitness. I was feeling so great in December up until the moment I got sick, so this has been my problem the last couple weeks: really getting back on track. I haven’t practiced and couldn’t really work out the way I wanted to, because you have to be very careful with mono.”

Federer said he had a fever in December before traveling to Australia but sought no medical treatment. After his health problems in Australia, he took a long-planned two-week break from tennis, which included attending the Super Bowl. But he said he soon fell ill with flulike symptoms again and returned to Switzerland for tests.

“I had felt great the day before and then awful the next day,” he said. “And this is really when I said: O.K., something is wrong. I have to totally check things out here.”

Even in perfect health, Federer was entering what appeared to be the most challenging season of his career. His struggles have come amid the emergence of Djokovic and with an overstuffed calendar that includes the Olympic tournament in Beijing. He is still on a quest to win his first French Open, the only Grand Slam singles title he lacks, and he will be attempting to break his tie in the record books with Bjorn Borg by winning a sixth straight Wimbledon title.

Now, 2008 looks even more challenging, and it should be fine theater to see how a champion accustomed to winning big titles without much adversity will react.

“I finally have the green light and finally I can give 100 percent in practice again, because it wasn’t fun sort of being there sort of halfway,” he said. “I didn’t enjoy that too much. But again, it was interesting, and you’ve got to go through those moments, as well. I know that. Through a career, a long career maybe as No. 1, you have to go through injuries and sicknesses.”

Federer had largely been spared major health concerns and has played in 33 consecutive Grand Slam tournaments, winning 12 of them, two short of Sampras’s career record. He won three of the four major titles in 2006 and did the same in 2007. But despite his stuttering start in 2008, he said it was too early to claim that his era of dominance was ending.

“For me, it was only a matter of time before the younger guys were going to come up,” he said. “Now that they’re here, they’re good and everything, but I’m still No. 1 in the world.”

He said those players were doing well, but added: “I think it would be very premature, almost a little bit rude toward me because of everything I’ve already done over the last few years. I think it’s not fair if you just say, ‘The guy has lost two matches, played two tournaments and didn’t win both, and it’s over for him.’ ”

But Patrick McEnroe, the United States Davis Cup captain, said: “I believe his era of total domination is over. Three young guys go out there really believing they can beat him, and that belief is getting stronger with each loss Fed suffers. Roger can certainly stay No. 1, but the gap has closed significantly.”

Questioned on the value of playing an exhibition, even for a huge payday, at this now-delicate stage of the season, Federer said he had no regrets and hoped it would give him some match practice heading into the Masters Series event next week in Indian Wells, Calif.

Federer agreed to the Madison Square Garden match after he and Sampras became friends while playing three exhibitions in Asia late last year. Sampras, who is 36 and retired, generated some unexpected buzz by winning the third contest on a very quick indoor court.

Federer said he did not mention the mononucleosis until now because he did not want to detract from victories by Djokovic or Murray. But Federer was still criticized in the British news media for being uncharitable in defeat after he commented in Dubai that Murray had not changed his game in the last two years and that he was surprised at how defensively Murray was playing.

Federer, who said he had now learned the English term “sour grapes,” said he was trying only to provide “constructive criticism” and did not mean to imply that he did not respect Murray’s game.

“He beat me after all,” Federer said. “It’s unfortunate, because that’s not what I meant at all.”

He added: “I’ve always thought he was one of the most talented ones of the whole group, even more talented than Djokovic, to be honest. I thought he would do the most first before Djokovic, but Djokovic played really well the last year and started this year unbelievably.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/08/sp.../08tennis.html
Quote:
Old 07-07-2011, 05:37 AM   #7
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

I like both Roger and Nole! But Roger comes first! I was already a Fed fan when Nole came to my attention in 2007.

Here's my contribution to the thread:

Quote:
Roger Federer praises Wimbledon champ Novak Djokovic, says new No. 1 deserves top ranking

BERN, Switzerland — Roger Federer says it’s good for tennis that Novak Djokovic won Wimbledon and became the top-ranked player.

The only player who has beaten him this year said Tuesday that Djokovic has earned his success after compiling a 48-1 record in 2011.

“He deserves to become No. 1 after an immense start to the year,” said Federer, who defeated the 24-year-old Serb in the French Open semifinals. “When you lose so rarely, your confidence carries you a long way.”

The third-ranked Federer said it wasn’t a big surprise that Djokovic dethroned Rafael Nadal after having beaten the former top-ranked Spaniard in four previous finals in 2011.

“And he’s proved before at Wimbledon that he can play on grass,” said Federer, a few days before the start to Switzerland’s Davis Cup match against Portugal. “It’s good for tennis that it happened.”

Despite Sunday’s final promising to write a significant chapter in tennis history, the six-time Wimbledon champion did not watch it at home in Switzerland.

“Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to watch the final, but for sure it was being played at a very high level,” he said.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...DzH_story.html
Old 07-07-2011, 05:42 AM   #8

After the Davis Cup Tie between Switzerland and Serbia in 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Federer
"You know I don't trust his injuries, no it's not funny,I mean I'm serious, and I think that he's a joke when he comes down to these injuries. The rules are there to be used but not abused and that's what he's been doing many times. That's why I wasn't happy to see him doing that and then running around like a rabbit again. Yeah it was a good handshake for me. I was happy to beat him."
Quote:
Old 07-07-2011, 06:27 AM   #9
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute

Well Nole was the prince of retirements and was about to get his Retirement Slam before he got his shit together

Not as bad as Tipsy though, that guy is just classless

I think that Roger respects Nole more now because he's turned into a great player and is more centered, less clownish, Nole's parents aren't respected by anyone because they are absolute tools and feed off Nole's fame

Old 07-07-2011, 06:28 AM   #10
country flag Chiseller

Chiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond reputeChiseller has a reputation beyond repute

Too good this finishingmove. Instant kill
Chiseller is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:32 AM   #11
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

for the record, this isn't a troll thread or a bashing one, it's just that we have to have a thread for all the top 4 pairs, I might want to open a Rafandy one (or whatever that is )

Old 07-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #12
country flag acionescu

acionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond repute

that's a good one
acionescu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #13
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

Feel the love between these two...

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #14
country flag Okonsky
@Ryan's Hat

Okonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond repute

Good god:

Old 07-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #15
country flag Vida

Vida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond repute

apparently mama dijana is watching this every morning...