Johnny Groove's Top 69 Players Ever (Djokovic #21 of all time) - Page 85 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: How accurate was I?

5/5- Almost 100% spot on, Mr. Groove. I may switch a few around here or there, but good work 63 18.10%
4/5- More or less. I disagree with a few, but not bad at all 146 41.95%
3/5- Hmmmm, I dunno. Some look a bit dicey, mate 50 14.37%
2/5- Are you nuts? Why is X player in Y position? You are completely dissing Z player! 19 5.46%
1/5- Are you high and or drunk? WTF?!?!?! 70 20.11%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #1261
country flag Plazbovo

Plazbovo is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Professor Johnny Groove's Top 55 tennis players of all time (a history lesson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Now, combined, all time forever standard, Master List:

1. Pancho Gonzales, 364 weeks and 20.66 slams
2. Rod Laver, 277 weeks and 19.195 slams
3. Roger Federer, 300 weeks and 17 slams
4. Bill Tilden, 330 weeks and 14.143 slams
5. Ken Rosewall, 242 weeks and 20.2 slams
6. Pete Sampras, 286 weeks and 14 slams
7. Don Budge, 303 weeks and 10.5 slams
8. William Renshaw, 286 weeks and 11.165 slams
9. Laurie Doherty, 252 weeks and 7.665 slams
10. Jack Kramer, 234 weeks and 8.195 slams
11. Ivan Lendl, 234 weeks and 8 slams
12. Ellsworth Vines, 191 weeks and 10.035 slams
13. William Larned- 199 weeks and 8 slams
14. Bjorn Borg, 150 weeks and 11 slams
15. Joshua Pim, 173 weeks 9 slams
16. Jimmy Connors, 182 weeks and 8 slams
17. Bobby Riggs, 156 weeks and 8.98 slams
18. John McEnroe, 170 weeks and 7 slams
19. Henri Cochet, 147 weeks and 8.145 slams
20. Rafael Nadal, 102 weeks and 11 slams
sorry, but I don't think Renshaw merit such a rank (#8). In this time, they were five or six to play tennis lol
Plazbovo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #1262
country flag thrust
Banned!

thrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professor Groove's Top 159 Players Ever (Fed- 3, Nadal- 20, Nole- 36, Murray- 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plazbovo View Post
hello,
I'm a new poster fan on this forum.
Well, this classement is no ridiculous at all. Gonzales n°1 is a probability, even if I class still Rod Laver over everybody. Here is my top 10 on a period 1948-2012 (I won't try to analyse before 1948, whereas amators and pros could compare each other. How hard is to admit Lacoste, Cochet, Vines and Tilden were above all these guys (or not) !

1 Laver 2 Federer 3 Rosewall 4 Lendl 5 Gonzales
6 Connors 7 Sampras 8 McEnroe 9 Borg 10 Nadal

I think my different ranks from the original one come from my sensibility to consider not only slams but other tournaments like master cup or masters 1000, where the top champions were present. Lendl was amazingly regular between 1982 and 1987 in these other tournaments.
I definitely agree that 1948 is a more appropriate time to start ranking players. I basically agree with your list, except I would rank Gonzalez over Lendl and Sampras over Connors. I think Johnny Groove is putting to much emphasis on weeks at #1. It is really difficult to determine, accurately, how many weeks the Pro Tour players were at #1. Rosewall was joint #1 a few years and sole #1 for 3 years. I also think slams are slams, other top tournaments are NOT slams and should not be considerd as slams. Taking away his amateur slams, Rosewall has 19 official slams, 15 on the Pro Tour and 4 in the open era. Pro slams should have the same stature, as the world's best competed in them at that time.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:55 AM   #1263
country flag Benny_Maths

Benny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professor Johnny Groove's Top 55 tennis players of all time (a history lesson)

Quote:
sorry, but I don't think Renshaw merit such a rank (#8). In this time, they were five or six to play tennis lol
Can't believe someone hasn't drawn the ridiculous Don Bradman analogy yet. Anyway, I completely agree with you.
Benny_Maths is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:19 AM   #1264
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professor Groove's Top 159 Players Ever (Fed- 3, Nadal- 20, Nole- 36, Murray- 107

Quote:
TOTALLY IGNORANT STATEMENT. SMITH AND ASHE ARE DEFINITELY SUPERIOR TO RODDICK, NO CONTEST!
Roddick has around the same number of GS QFs and SFs, as Ashe, has around the same number of wins, around the same number of win percentage, and didn't lose 5 slam finals to Federer. Ashe is the closest comparable to Roddick of any tennis player.

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF
Sweet, Sassy, Sophisticated

"Love has nothing to do with what you're expecting to get, only what you're expecting to give - which is everything. What you receive in return varies, but that really has no connection with why you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." - K. Hepburn.
JediFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #1265
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
hello,
I'm a new poster fan on this forum.
Well, this classement is no ridiculous at all. Gonzales n°1 is a probability, even if I class still Rod Laver over everybody. Here is my top 10 on a period 1948-2012 (I won't try to analyse before 1948, whereas amators and pros could compare each other. How hard is to admit Lacoste, Cochet, Vines and Tilden were above all these guys (or not) !

1 Laver 2 Federer 3 Rosewall 4 Lendl 5 Gonzales
6 Connors 7 Sampras 8 McEnroe 9 Borg 10 Nadal

I think my different ranks from the original one come from my sensibility to consider not only slams but other tournaments like master cup or masters 1000, where the top champions were present. Lendl was amazingly regular between 1982 and 1987 in these other tournaments.
I agree with you on several points, but if you highly consider players' regularity outside of slams, I'm surprised that you put Borg so low, as his percentage of losses was very low, even though the tournaments outside slams were even less representative (that is not with all the top-players) in his time than in Lendl's time ... but he played a little bit less of them than Lendl. Also even though Borg had a surprisingly high number of walkovers.

Borg's winning % : 84% in 1976, 91% in 1977, 89% in 1978, 92% in 1979, 90% in 1980, 85% in 1981.
Lendl : 92% in 1982, 82% in 1983, 79% in 1984, 92% in 1985, 93% in 1986, 91% in 1987, 84% in 1988, 92% in 1989, 82% in 1990

Last edited by duong : 12-26-2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: walkovers
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #1266
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
In reality, there is NO ONE GOAT! There is, IMO, a group of super elite players throughout tennis history. The obvious Super Elites are in no particular order: Laver, Rosewall, Federer, Gonzalez, and Sampras. Tier 2: Nadal, Borg, Tilden Perry,Cochet, Lacoste, Connors, McEnroe and Agassi. Tier 3: Edberg, Becker, Djokovic and Hoad. I rank Cochet and Lacoste above Tilden, because they usually beat him and won slams on clay and grass. Tilden never won a clay slam, except perhaps the one French Pro title he won. As great a player as Hoad was, at times, he never dominated on the Pro Tour usually losing to Rosewall when he did reach the finals.
so Djokovic is in Tier 3 but Wilander isn't?

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #1267
country flag thrust
Banned!

thrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
so Djokovic is in Tier 3 but Wilander isn't?
MY MISTAKE! For some reason I, and others, tend to forget about Wilander which is very unfair to him. He definintely belongs in my tier 3.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #1268
country flag TennisOnWood

TennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
MY MISTAKE! For some reason I, and others, tend to forget about Wilander which is very unfair to him. He definintely belongs in my tier 3.
Maybe, when you find time, you can put Lendl on the list too if he deserves it
Old 12-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #1269
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute

Murray too high and wtf is Korda doing on the list?

NADAL - MATOSEVIC - BORG
TURSUNOV - BOLELLI - BROWN - NALBANDIAN - WAWRINKA

HINGIS - KOURNIKOVA - DOKIC
DEMENTIEVA - PIERCE - GOLOVIN - MYSKINA - DAVENPORT - RUBIN
SCHNYDER - HANTUCHOVA - SCHETT - MAURESMO - CLIJSTERS
RADWANSKA - BENCIC - BARTHEL - KVITOVA - JANKOVIC

Dmitry Verdasco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #1270
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
haha yeah he floats out of my mind sometimes too, no biggy, you were writing a list on the fly!

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #1271
country flag Plazbovo

Plazbovo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
I agree with you on several points, but if you highly consider players' regularity outside of slams, I'm surprised that you put Borg so low, as his percentage of losses was very low, even though the tournaments outside slams were even less representative (that is not with all the top-players) in his time than in Lendl's time ... but he played a little bit less of them than Lendl. Also even though Borg had a surprisingly high number of walkovers ...
Borg would have a best rank if his career had not been brutally stopped at 25. Obviously, we can legitimally believe Borg would have won a few more tournaments if he had continued at least until 30 years old. But this great champion had lost his motivation for playing, and this "appetite" belongs to the game. "Stop your career, Bjorn, but your palmares will be less great than for some others champions like McEnroe or ... Connors who will stop one day but nb 40 !"

My list is not the product of my intuitions but the result of a calcul similar to Johnny Groove's. But with some important differences : I only consider titles (no point for a runner-up) for all the tournaments recognized since 1948. Besides, as I said, I take care of minor tournaments in regard of precise criteras. You can find the criteras here (in french, sorry): http://plazbovo.free.fr/c.i.g.___criteres_389.htm

About period before 1948, I have considered there was a too weak competition level comparing with post-ww2 era. EG : Tilden and French Musketeers who were above all the others in the 1920's can't rivalise with more recent deal. Thats's why I won't rank Tilden better than #7 whereas he had dominated his sport like rarely it has happened in the history.
Plazbovo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #1272
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Louis X is taking control here with approximately 2500 weeks at #1 position (until Charles V showed better performances 50 years after him).

But if we add an eventually important criteria, which is - The Best among how many? And we'd have a list quite different than the above, in which neither Pancho, nor Don Quixote will be as high as they are.

Slams played in 1 or 2 matches - not equal real Slams.

Better than 28 players? Not the same as better than 2000.

These would put order in the otherwise interesting ranking and would make it pretty plausible, especially when the undeserved #3 goes up to his obvious place, with a solid margin ahead.

Otherwise i'm creating a new sport in my backyard in which i will be the best forever, as i will reveal the rules on my dying bed.
latso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #1273
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Edward III was the original GOAT - 2300 weeks #1. only fell at death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #1274
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Johnny Groove's Top 101 Players Ever (Fed- 1, Rafa- 10, Nole- 26, Muzz- 83, JMDP-

New revised list in the opening 2 posts. Still much work to do here, but I believe I have the skeleton. Muscles and organs to follow.

Yes, Murray and Del Potro have made the list.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #1275
country flag uxyzapenje

uxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Johnny Groove's Top 101 Players Ever (Fed- 1, Rafa- 10, Nole- 26, Muzz- 83, JMDP-

I used to love this thread. Now it's too complicated and boring. 0.8 Slams? Give it a rest. I get taking into account eras in which Slams are won, but this is going too far and wasting your time Groove. I mean, you can't scientifically count the exact order of best players in history. There will always be someone who disagrees with the list and after all, that's what threads are for - discussion.