Johnny Groove's Top 69 Players Ever (Djokovic #21 of all time) - Page 80 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: How accurate was I?

5/5- Almost 100% spot on, Mr. Groove. I may switch a few around here or there, but good work 63 18.10%
4/5- More or less. I disagree with a few, but not bad at all 146 41.95%
3/5- Hmmmm, I dunno. Some look a bit dicey, mate 50 14.37%
2/5- Are you nuts? Why is X player in Y position? You are completely dissing Z player! 19 5.46%
1/5- Are you high and or drunk? WTF?!?!?! 70 20.11%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #1186
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professor Groove's Top 160 Players Ever (Fed- 3, Nadal- 20, Nole- 37, Murray- 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
Those players in the 60' cant be compared to modern players Groove.They are worse in every single way
Impossible to tell. If Federer would have been in the 60s with the same talent, would he have managed to beat them ? If they would have been in modern time with their same talent, would they have managed to beat Fed ? The game was certainly different, but talent was the same. Given different stimuli and different game pace, who knows how good or bad tennis players would have been in different eras ?

It's all as subjective as this thread.
Slasher1985 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #1187
country flag Nole Rules
Banned!

Nole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professor Groove's Top 160 Players Ever (Fed- 3, Nadal- 20, Nole- 36, Murray- 107

Great list JG.
Nole Rules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #1188
country flag thrust
Banned!

thrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professor Groove's Top 159 Players Ever (Fed- 3, Nadal- 20, Nole- 36, Murray- 107

It seems as though the Tournament Of Championships, so called slam, was discontinued after 1959.This was before Rosewall and Laver reached their peak, therefore, it is not fair to them and should not be added to Pancho's slam count. The 3 official slams were mostly continous until 1968 and should only be considered pro slams.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #1189
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professor Groove's Top 160 Players Ever (Fed- 3, Nadal- 20, Nole- 36, Murray- 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by niff View Post
Throw a couple of weeks my way and I'll totes back you up Renshaw won't miss a couple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
OK then, have fun. It just seems like now no-one likes it whereas a lot of people liked the old way
True genius always takes time to be recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
Just read your new list. The fact is, however, that Gonzalez never won a clay slam. Tilden one a single French Pro, though I am not sure if it was on clay. Federer only had one clay slam, a year that he did not have to face Nadal, though I do agree that he is a great clay court player. Just out of curiosity, are you still including Amateur era? If so, Rosewall should have 23 Slams. If not, you have to take away 4 slams from Ken, 5 from Laver and 2 from Gonzalez. Well, at least you got Ken back into the top 5, though I think he should be above Tilden and should be credited with about 300 weeks @ #1. Lets face it, the ranking system in tennis has been rather questionable over the years, especially before the open era.
I am counting every slam ever. Amateur, pro, and open era. The overall question of who truly is the GOAT is ever evolving and extremely difficult to dissect. This list takes into account only slams and #1, the 2 most important stats, imo. Davis Cup, Year End Masters, or anything below slams and #1, I have gotten rid of, for now at least. All I did with this list was try to do the impossible, compose a fair GOAT list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
Jesus this list is a disgrace.....Fed at 3.........yes those two mugs at 1 and 2 are better than him.....they might have even won a game or two against him if they ever played against each other.Those players in the 60' cant be compared to modern players Groove.They are worse in every single way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
Impossible to tell. If Federer would have been in the 60s with the same talent, would he have managed to beat them ? If they would have been in modern time with their same talent, would they have managed to beat Fed ? The game was certainly different, but talent was the same. Given different stimuli and different game pace, who knows how good or bad tennis players would have been in different eras ?

It's all as subjective as this thread.
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole Rules View Post
Great list JG.
Appreciation is always appreciated.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #1190
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professor Groove's Top 159 Players Ever (Fed- 3, Nadal- 20, Nole- 36, Murray- 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
It seems as though the Tournament Of Championships, so called slam, was discontinued after 1959.This was before Rosewall and Laver reached their peak, therefore, it is not fair to them and should not be added to Pancho's slam count. The 3 official slams were mostly continous until 1968 and should only be considered pro slams.
Every slam counts, and counts as a percentage. Gonzales winning TOC only counted as 0.4 of a slam, while in 1960, Rosewall's slams counted as 0.5.

Now I know the list ain't perfect, but its as good as i can get it.

Quote:
Old 10-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #1191
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

Strange list. Fed at #3 and people winning slams between 0 and 1?
Old 10-13-2012, 12:24 AM   #1192
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Every slam counts, and counts as a percentage. Gonzales winning TOC only counted as 0.4 of a slam, while in 1960, Rosewall's slams counted as 0.5.

Now I know the list ain't perfect, but its as good as i can get it.
That's not right. At the moment, you're counting it as 0.7 of a slam, remember. Average of 1 and 0.4. 1958 has a total of seven slams counting, if you add together the fractions.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:39 AM   #1193
Future ATP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honestly View Post
Strange list. Fed at #3 and people winning slams between 0 and 1?
Well for example, the great Sven Davidson.

Davidson won RG in 1957, a year where there was 9 slams. To be fair to modern players, who don't have 9, but 4 slams, I have counted each slam in 1957 as 0.44 of a slam. However, since the tour was split in '57, and Davidson could only play 4 of the 9 slams, it ain't really 100% fair to only count it as 0.44, so, I took 1 slam and 0.44, and averaged it out to 0.72 of a slam for Sven Davidson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
That's not right. At the moment, you're counting it as 0.7 of a slam, remember. Average of 1 and 0.4. 1958 has a total of seven slams counting, if you add together the fractions.
1958 had 10 ( ) slams, mate. Gonzales winning the TOC counted as 0.4 of a slam, averaged with 1 is 0.7, part of Gonzales' 20.66 slams.

Quote:
Old 10-13-2012, 12:42 AM   #1194
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Not going to comment about the list's accuracy as it's YOUR list but you know a lot more about the history of the sport than me. Anyways, props for the effort. I wonder where you find the time to actually play tennis. You should become a tennis historian or sth. Call ESPN and tell them you can replace McEnroe.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On winning DC and its overall importance in the discussion for all-time greats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:47 AM   #1195
Future ATP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Not going to comment about the list's accuracy as it's YOUR list but you know a lot more about the history of the sport than me. Anyways, props for the effort. I wonder where you find the time to actually play tennis. You should become a tennis historian or sth. Call ESPN and tell them you can replace McEnroe.
If I train 3 hours a day and sleep 10 hours a day, I still have 11 hours to do stuff

After my career is when I plan to be a commentator, maybe open up the academy.

It is funny, in real life, whenever I talk to older teaching pros about tennis, like grips and gamestyles, 1 vs. 2 hand backhands, how to string, how to teach, etc., they always dismiss me as if I don't know what I'm talking about

Are they afraid of me taking their business? Are they discriminating against me due to my mixed race appearance? Due to my young age? It is funny, the same things I am saying now and getting dismissed, are the same things I am going to be saying in 5 years, when my ranking will be significantly higher, and the same people who were blowing me off will say: "Oh, what a great idea!"

Funny how life works this way, eh?

Quote:
Old 10-13-2012, 12:50 AM   #1196
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Shit happens in all walks of life, Groove. I am in the same position. I've been saying the same things since I was 12 but now my opinion counts because I've been through university . Just persevere and you'll get there.

PS I thought you had to train more than 3 hours a day .

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On winning DC and its overall importance in the discussion for all-time greats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:59 AM   #1197
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Intriguing list. Just a few things I'd question:

Kriek- like the other list, I feel is again too high. Two pretty average fields with only Vilas and a teenage Wilander standing out as elite players in 81. 82 field looks way worse than Shanghai 2011.

Del Potro over Johansson- I assume this is cause he beat Fedal, but Johansson's career has a slam and a TMS title whereas Del Potro just has the slam. JMDP has the higher peak ranking though.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #1198
country flag thrust
Banned!

thrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Intriguing list. Just a few things I'd question:

Kriek- like the other list, I feel is again too high. Two pretty average fields with only Vilas and a teenage Wilander standing out as elite players in 81. 82 field looks way worse than Shanghai 2011.

Del Potro over Johansson- I assume this is cause he beat Fedal, but Johansson's career has a slam and a TMS title whereas Del Potro just has the slam. JMDP has the higher peak ranking though.
With all due respect, why would anyone care about the ranking of Kriek, Johansson or even Del Porto. Delpo does still have a good opportunity to imporve his ranking, and I hope he does. I think the pro slams shoud be given a .75 ranking, the amateur .4 or .5 Overall, a good list and a job well done professor.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:01 AM   #1199
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

having pancho number one suits me just fine- he is one of my heroes.
federer at number 3 does seem a little low but then again why not

your list looks fine to me- now mr.groove what we would love is for you to write about each player like you did before- makes great reading and helps educate us about tennis history
Old 10-13-2012, 02:09 AM   #1200
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professor Johnny Groove's Top 55 players ever (All slam champs and #1's, post #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post

1. Pancho Gonzales, 364 weeks and 20.66 slams

Again, it is impossible that Gonzales has 364 weeks (7 x 52 weeks), because he actually retired in may 1960, and unretired in december 1960, so he did not have 52 weeks as #1 in 1960.
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote