Johnny Groove's Top 69 Players Ever (Djokovic #21 of all time) - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: How accurate was I?

5/5- Almost 100% spot on, Mr. Groove. I may switch a few around here or there, but good work 63 18.26%
4/5- More or less. I disagree with a few, but not bad at all 146 42.32%
3/5- Hmmmm, I dunno. Some look a bit dicey, mate 49 14.20%
2/5- Are you nuts? Why is X player in Y position? You are completely dissing Z player! 19 5.51%
1/5- Are you high and or drunk? WTF?!?!?! 68 19.71%
Voters: 345. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #76
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professor Johnny Groove's Top 55 tennis players of all time (a history lesson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Kaspar View Post
Professor:

once you come off the fence and have the 10-times-slam-champion golden-slam-winner the-man-who-knocked-off-Federer-even-at-Wimbledon ahead of Lendl, our top 10 of the open era would be identical (!) (Laver, Federer, Rosewall, Sampras, Borg, Nadal, Lendl, Connors, Agassi, McEnroe).
That's crazy! If only Nadal had beaten Djokovic 5 days ago!

Quote:
Next different ordering is at 11/12: you have Edberg ahead of Wilander, me the other way round. 13-15 we are in sync again (Becker, Newcombe, Vilas).
Any reason you have Wilander head of Edberg? 7 slams for Mats vs. 6 for Edberg, sure, but Edberg has 42 titles to Wilander's 33, 2 years at #1 compared to Wilander's just 1, 1 year end title to Wilander's just 1 final, Edberg with a 75% career winning percentage to Wilander's 72%, 72 weeks at #1 compared to Wilander's 20, though Wilander did lead their head to head 11-9

Quote:
16-20 I have: Courier, Djokovic, Ashe, Nastase, Hewitt. You have: Nastase, Courier, Hewitt, Ashe, Djokovic.

Bottom line: I feel confirmed by your excellent judgment. ....
Those 5 can be argued anywhere, and yes, we are almost totally in agreement in terms of the open era top 20, good work, man

Though Djokovic could very well get himself into the 11-15 Edberg/Wilander/Becker/Newcombe/Vilas group in another year or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2473 View Post
Agreed. Nice job Dr. Groove. Both on the list and on directing the debate.
Thank you sir
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #77
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professor Johnny Groove's Top 55 tennis players of all time (a history lesson)

That is a very nice list, excellent work. I tried to come up with something I´d disagree with, but its all subjective. Maybe I´d place Edberg slightly higher, but then again he is one of my all-time favorites. There will never be a list that would satisfy all, but that is a very nice piece of work!
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #78
country flag Henry Kaspar

Henry Kaspar has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Kaspar has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Kaspar has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Kaspar has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Kaspar has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Kaspar has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Kaspar has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Kaspar has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Kaspar has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Kaspar has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Kaspar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post

Any reason you have Wilander head of Edberg? 7 slams for Mats vs. 6 for Edberg, sure, but Edberg has 42 titles to Wilander's 33, 2 years at #1 compared to Wilander's just 1, 1 year end title to Wilander's just 1 final, Edberg with a 75% career winning percentage to Wilander's 72%, 72 weeks at #1 compared to Wilander's 20, though Wilander did lead their head to head 11-9
Well I guess Wilander's 7 vs. Edberg's 6 is part of it. Another is that Wilander, to get to #1, had to battle prime or near-prime Lendl, while Edberg's breakthrough to top dog came relatively late in his career at a time when Lendl, Wilander, Becker where on the decline. Wilander lost motivation after making it to #1 which cut his career short, thus the fewer titles.

But of course Wilander and Edberg can be ranked either way. Add in Becker. Becker was 25-10 head-to-head against Edberg, 7-3 against Wilander.

Current sanyaku ranked players:
Yokozuna: Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer (Dai-Y), Rafael Nadal (Dai-Y)
Ozeki: Andy Murray, Stanislas Wawrinka, Marin Cilic
Sekiwake: David Ferrer (ex-Ozeki), Kei Nishikori
Komusubi: Milos Raonic (ex-Sekiwake), Tomas Berdych (ex-Ozeki), Gael Monfils

Active ex-sanyaku ranked players: Ozeki: Del Potro, Hewitt. Sekiwake: Baghdatis, Haas. Komusubi: Robredo, Ginepri, Gasquet, Verdasco, Melzer, Youzhny, Dimitrov, Gulbis
Henry Kaspar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #79
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well I guess Wilander's 7 vs. Edberg's 6 is part of it. Another is that Wilander, to get to #1, had to battle prime or near-prime Lendl, while Edberg's breakthrough to top dog came relatively late in his career at a time when Lendl, Wilander, Becker where on the decline. Wilander lost motivation after making it to #1 which cut his career short, thus the fewer titles.

But of course Wilander and Edberg can be ranked either way. Add in Becker. Becker was 25-10 head-to-head against Edberg, 7-3 against Wilander.
Lost in today's constant hullabaloo about current head-to-head stats is Becker's extraordinary record against Edberg, especially since almost all of their meetings took place on surfaces favored by both players i.e., indoor carpet although Becker is recognized as and is clearly one of the greatest indoor and indoor carpet players ever.

Edberg won two out of three meetings at Wimbledon and their sole meeting at Roland Garros so that weighs in his favor although many if not all of those Grand Slam matches matches could have gone either way, even the '89 Wimbledon F that Becker won in straight sets because Edberg was serving for the second set and had he won that set, things might have changed drastically.. Chang would most likely not have won RG had Becker won that '89 RG SF against Edberg because Chang simply could not handle Becker's power.

Becker handed out bagels to Edberg on both carpet and grass and beat Edberg in straight sets 15 times including 7 straight sets win in best of 5 matches on clay, grass, carpet, and hard. Edberg never beat Becker in straight sets in a best of 5 match and was 4-11 against Becker in best of 5 matches.

None of this, however, seems to differentiate the two when you see all-time ranking lists.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #80
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan View Post
Lost in today's constant hullabaloo about current head-to-head stats is Becker's extraordinary record against Edberg, especially since almost all of their meetings took place on surfaces favored by both players i.e., indoor carpet although Becker is recognized as and is clearly one of the greatest indoor and indoor carpet players ever.

Edberg won two out of three meetings at Wimbledon and their sole meeting at Roland Garros so that weighs in his favor although many if not all of those Grand Slam matches matches could have gone either way, even the '89 Wimbledon F that Becker won in straight sets because Edberg was serving for the second set and had he won that set, things might have changed drastically.. Chang would most likely not have won RG had Becker won that '89 RG SF against Edberg because Chang simply could not handle Becker's power.

Becker handed out bagels to Edberg on both carpet and grass and beat Edberg in straight sets 15 times including 7 straight sets win in best of 5 matches on clay, grass, carpet, and hard. Edberg never beat Becker in straight sets in a best of 5 match and was 4-11 against Becker in best of 5 matches.

None of this, however, seems to differentiate the two when you see all-time ranking lists.
Wilander had a better H2H vs Becker in Slams, yet Edberg and Becker some funny dynamics there.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #81
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

good effort Jonathan
Old 07-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #82
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan View Post
Just goes to show how unimportant H2Hs are in the grand scheme of things (apart from the pro tours of the 1950s & '60s), which I assume was your point.

Becker's an interesting case, having good records against most of his rivals (Agassi & Sampras excepted, if I remember correctly), but being more vulnerable to ludicrous early losses to hacks than pretty much any other great player. At Oxbridge, he'd be an "alpha-gamma man". Edberg, being more consistent, achieved just as much if not more, in spite of his problems with Becker.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #83
country flag ballbasher101

ballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond repute

Roger at 2 . Bullshit. I like the list but Roger should be at 1. Yes Nadal owns him but his records are amazing.
ballbasher101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #84
country flag dombrfc

dombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond repute

Rafatards need to read this over and over.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #85
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Agassi, well, he was always in the shadow of Sampras, so it is difficult to rank him. I am curious, mountaindewslave, what would your top 20 be? [/quote]

TOP 20 would be difficult to think of at this moment given I have limited time BUT I think your list could have been much worse I just do not agree that (for example) Pancho deserves the #5 (the same goes with EVEN Tilden) and it's not to say they were not immensely talented, it is to say that there is no real way to gauge them given the fact that the sport was just not competitive like it is today! Esspecially in Pancho's era, the incentive for players was SO MUCH LESS.

Nadal should not be behind Llendl that's for sure! Agassi may have been overshadowed but that return is hard not to notice and Agassi would have accomplished a lot more had he not had so many internal issues.

My top 20 I'm not sure at this moment, I would have to think about but top 10 would come off as rather cliche' with something like, #1 Federer (Never in doubt, look at that technique!) #2 Laver (At least had some action in the OPEN era), #3 Borg (One of the most raw talent and raw athletic players ever seen,do not agree that it is so much that he burned out as much as that he lost interest, imagine the possibilities if Borg had not retired so young!) #4 Conners (simply because of the miraculous nature of his career, incredibly feat winning so much and for so long at such old ages! not to mention I believe? he has the record number of overall TITLES) #5 Sampras (Amazing on grass and that serve! BUT I think the conditions of the 90's really helped him and the clay issue prevents Sampras from being a few ranks higher), #6, Rafael Nadal (best player on clay of all time and possibly the greatest adapter the game has ever seen... arguably a better 'fighter' than Borg, #7 Agassi (best returner of all time and could of done so much more if not for internal struggles/ brilliant handling of the second half of his career), #8 Mcenroe (Beautiful on the grass, one of the best tennis touches ever), #9, Llendl (8 US OPEN finals in a row! Very worthy given his resume of titles and GS finals, but quite depressing when one looks at his record of losses at the GS level and what could have been), #10 Budge (just for being so consistant and for being the first to accomplish such sick runs at Grand Slams simultaneously, 6 in a row starting in '37)

would be very hard to manage a top 20 let alone 55

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #86
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

Why is Federer number two? Laver got the calendar slam twice because more slams were on grass back in those days. Federer also has five slams than him, so why is he ahead of Roger? Sampras should also be way ahead of him. Roger and Pete are the two best players of all time and they aren't the top two? That's wrong. 1/5 just for that massive error.

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 17 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $32,454,018 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 460-146...
TITLES: 28 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #87
country flag Henry Kaspar

Henry Kaspar has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Kaspar has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Kaspar has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Kaspar has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Kaspar has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Kaspar has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Kaspar has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Kaspar has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Kaspar has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Kaspar has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Kaspar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbasher101 View Post
Roger at 2 . Bullshit. I like the list but Roger should be at 1. Yes Nadal owns him but his records are amazing.

There are several players with amazing records. Laver is the most dominant player the game has ever produced, in the amateurs, pros and open era.

Current sanyaku ranked players:
Yokozuna: Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer (Dai-Y), Rafael Nadal (Dai-Y)
Ozeki: Andy Murray, Stanislas Wawrinka, Marin Cilic
Sekiwake: David Ferrer (ex-Ozeki), Kei Nishikori
Komusubi: Milos Raonic (ex-Sekiwake), Tomas Berdych (ex-Ozeki), Gael Monfils

Active ex-sanyaku ranked players: Ozeki: Del Potro, Hewitt. Sekiwake: Baghdatis, Haas. Komusubi: Robredo, Ginepri, Gasquet, Verdasco, Melzer, Youzhny, Dimitrov, Gulbis

Last edited by Henry Kaspar : 07-07-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Henry Kaspar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #88
country flag neme6

neme6 has a reputation beyond reputeneme6 has a reputation beyond reputeneme6 has a reputation beyond reputeneme6 has a reputation beyond reputeneme6 has a reputation beyond reputeneme6 has a reputation beyond reputeneme6 has a reputation beyond reputeneme6 has a reputation beyond reputeneme6 has a reputation beyond reputeneme6 has a reputation beyond reputeneme6 has a reputation beyond repute

hard to say whether Federer should be ranked above Laver or not! In Laver's era, most of the top players didn't play Grand slams because those tournaments weren't or the pro tour, Laver himself admitted that he wouldn't have completed the Grand Slam if all the top players would have played, but still, there isn't much footage of this period so it's hard to tell if Laver was better than Federer on a technical point of view, I would doubt it tbh but who knows...
neme6 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #89
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

There are several players with amazing records. Laver is the most dominant player the game has ever produced, in the amateurs, pros and open era.
And? That was in the 1960s. Federer has five slams more than him and got a career slam in a much harder era. Also, Federer is by far the better player. Federer should obviously be number one. If you think otherwise, you are wrong.

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 17 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $32,454,018 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 460-146...
TITLES: 28 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #90
country flag KarlyM

KarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond reputeKarlyM has a reputation beyond repute

It's difficult to compare the different eras, but I would say it's pretty much correct (maybe switching a couple slightly).
KarlyM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote