Johnny Groove's Top 69 Players Ever (Djokovic #21 of all time) - Page 28 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: How accurate was I?

5/5- Almost 100% spot on, Mr. Groove. I may switch a few around here or there, but good work 63 18.10%
4/5- More or less. I disagree with a few, but not bad at all 146 41.95%
3/5- Hmmmm, I dunno. Some look a bit dicey, mate 50 14.37%
2/5- Are you nuts? Why is X player in Y position? You are completely dissing Z player! 19 5.46%
1/5- Are you high and or drunk? WTF?!?!?! 70 20.11%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2012, 05:56 AM   #406
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professor Johnny Groove's Top 55 tennis players of all time (Djokovic up to #31)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove Dude View Post
As for what can make Federer pass Laver?

If Federer wins Roland Garros, beating Nadal en route, he is the GOAT in my eyes.

If he wins RG w/o beating Nadal, then the argument with Fed and Laver continues, but Fed would be closer. If Fed wins 2 slams this year, let's say RG and Wimbledon, he'll be at 18 slams, 2 career slams, and all of his other records. If he gets back to #1 with his RG and Wimbledon titles and ends the year at #1, I will give the #1 all time title to Federer.
I don't like this reasoning for example.

We know Nadal has taken Federer to the cleaners so many times. He dominated RG like no-one else. If Federer wins against a tired Nadal at RG, what would that tell us?

Now, if Federer improved his game to beat Nadal more consistently, that would be a bit better for his resume. But it's really irrelevant.
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 06:58 AM   #407
country flag swisht4u

swisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professor Johnny Groove's Top 55 tennis players of all time (Djokovic up to #31)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishingmove View Post

We know Nadal has taken Federer to the cleaners so many times. He dominated RG like no-one else. If Federer wins against a tired Nadal at RG, what would that tell us?

Now, if Federer improved his game to beat Nadal more consistently, that would be a bit better for his resume. But it's really irrelevant.
This list is more from an achievement perspective without any other considerations.
It's good to see some of the history and how players did back then.

In the 1880's baseball when young went thru the same thing, unbelievable records compared to todays totals. The same in many sports.
Those records are still around but are not recognized because of the small pool of players and the game changing.

Around 1970 the same has happened with tennis. Some do recognize the records before that time and it's interesting how the game evolved but comparing to records today is a tough job.

The most important record is slam totals, this is the #1 criteria. I think it was Laver himself that said 3 slams today is like a CYGS in his time IIRC.
I have to agree with this and with only two surfaces for slams back then it's another area that downgrades those older records.

It's interesting to try to compare Laver, Gonzalez and other greats in the past to todays players but there is no comparison on the actual court IMO, just look at the clips and listen to past pros.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXÈ

Federer

Del Potro

Gulbis

Janowicz
swisht4u is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #408
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisht4u View Post
It's interesting to try to compare Laver, Gonzalez and other greats in the past to todays players but there is no comparison on the actual court IMO, just look at the clips and listen to past pros.
Exactly. Comparing Laver & Federer in many ways is apples & oranges - the game was so different, the tour so different, the priorities too. Winning a CYGS when 3 slams are on grass is very different to winning it when 2 are HC, 1 is on grass & 1 on clay & then taking into account the depth of the field too. Laver was the best of his era; Federer undoubtedly the best of his. The 70s/80s become easier to compare to an extent but even then slam count is misleading as so many didn't play the Australian Open & slam count wasn't necessarily seen as the be all and end all that it is now (we have Sampras to thank for that!).....

It'll be interesting to see over the next 20 years how perceptions change - Laver is still cited as being one of the greatest - outside tennis buffs I don't the average person would know many other names from the past except him & perhaps Pancho. It seems to me that Borg & McEnroe get more coverage than Lendl even though Lendl achieved more than McEnroe... Similarly Wilander for all his achievements seems pretty anonymous to the average person... I get the impression that going forward Federer will clearly be remembered as one of the greatest but Sampras perhaps not as much - we're only over a decade removed from his era & he's still not talked about as much as Borg & McEnroe (they were more interesting personalities which is part of it I guess...).
Ash86 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #409
country flag Macbrother

Location: Ward 47 of the Tilonus Institute for Mental Disorders
Macbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
While I think Saberq is a complete fool, I don't think you're right about this either. The physical aspect aspect of today's game, in virtually any sport, has made pretty much every single sport so very different. This is especially the case in tennis. To say that the players today are inferior athletes to the champions of the pre-Open Era is just as absurd as Saberq claiming that Laver would get destroyed by Federer. Yes, many of them were very fit, Pancho especially, but today's players are not only fit, but they are strong as well.
I don't think most people will deny the game is more physical today than it was 40 years ago. Pound for pound, the top 100 is faster, stronger, fitter, than it was even as recent as 15 years ago; both Sampras and Agassi themselves remarked this to the media and in their books alike. The point is -- for the purposes of this thread -- why is this even relevant? Laver, Pancho, and the like, didn't have the benefit of 2000's nutrition, technology, and sports psychology, yet they still dominated their era much like Federer. Give them these benefits and all the sudden people think they're gonna do worse?

Personally I think the only major difference is that those top guys wouldn't dominate quite as long as if they were playing today -- since the mileage racks up on the body a lot quicker under today's conditions. The lack of sports globalization has to be taken into account as well, as well as the risk, time, and expense of travel (particularly pre WWII) but this takes nothing away from these guys games; or their mental toughness. These guys were fucking champions, the greatest athletes of the world at their time -- all you can do is dominate the era against the tools and technology you're given.

The greatest backhand pass ever.

fucktard. n. A special variety of retard whose condition arises not from clinically demonstrable neurological impairment, but from buttersnap shitfuckery of the mind.
Macbrother is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #410
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLobb View Post
Saberq, would Babe Ruth or Mickey Mantle have been stars today in baseball? How about Bobby Hull or Maurice Richard in hockey? You won't find a sports writer who would deny this.
how did you know I love baseball man? LOL....of course they would but baseball never changes....the game is always the same...it is not more demanding than it was 100 years ago....the rules and style of play is the same .....that is why this is the best sport out there ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
While I think Saberq is a complete fool, I don't think you're right about this either. The physical aspect aspect of today's game, in virtually any sport, has made pretty much every single sport so very different. This is especially the case in tennis. To say that the players today are inferior athletes to the champions of the pre-Open Era is just as absurd as Saberq claiming that Laver would get destroyed by Federer. Yes, many of them were very fit, Pancho especially, but today's players are not only fit, but they are strong as well.
dude you are reported .....no need to insult
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #411
country flag Arakasi

Arakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbrother View Post
Personally I think the only major difference is that those top guys wouldn't dominate quite as long as if they were playing today -- since the mileage racks up on the body a lot quicker under today's conditions.
In that case don't you think that like for like comparisons favour the old guys? Players like Rosewall are credited for their amazing longevity but how can you make any meaningful comparisons in that regard to guys like Federer when physicality was so much less of an issue? Indeed, how can you compare the slam successes of guys who had, in effect, more opportunities at the top to guys who could no longer compete from 30 onwards because of the nature of the game?
Arakasi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #412
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Loving the discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisOnWood View Post
Hoad must be much higher.. but this is all really hard to compare cause it was all too much different than today

Lew wanted to skip US Open 1956 cause he might find it difficult to pay expenses for both himself and his wife (Djokovic can feed half of Serbia)!! Of course, he changed his mind and in the end he was one match away from Grand Slam (in US Open final Rosewall revenge Wimbledon and Australia losses
Its tough for me to put Hoad up much higher (though I will put him up to #36), due to his inconsistency. Yeah Gonzales and Kramer and Laver and Rosewall and the rest all said that Hoad at his best was better than anyone, but we hear that in recent eras in regards to guys like Rios, Safin, and Nalbandian. Should Safin be higher than 53? This list I try to reward consistency and longevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishingmove View Post

Tired is subjective as we all know. Hamburg 07 finals and Madrid 09 finals, Fed beat Nadal on clay, and people play the fatigue and injury card. The way I see it, a win is a win. You step onto court, you are fully fit. If Fed wins RG beating Nadal, regardless of fatigue or injury, Fed will be the GOAT. The Rafa thing is really Fed's only career blemish.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #413
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Groove with all due respect who the hell are you to say Fed is not the GOAT huh?
Old 01-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #414
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

The GOAT debate is settled. and it's not an opinion, just a fact.
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #415
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
Groove with all due respect who the hell are you to say Fed is not the GOAT huh?
I am Jonathan Daniel Morgan, a tennis name that will become household in the next decade.

And why are you getting so offended here? I thought you were a Djokovic fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassquet View Post
The GOAT debate is settled. and it's not an opinion, just a fact.
Apparently not, seeing as this thread alone has over 400 posts.

Quote:
Old 01-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #416
country flag Saberq

yes I am a Djokovic fan but I hate when people put Laver ahead of Fed....I never watched Laver live but I saw Roger Federer and nobody was better than him and nobody will ever be .....some guy might win 20 GS's one day but he wont be Roger Federer........
Old 01-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #417
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove Dude View Post

Apparently not, seeing as this thread alone has over 400 posts.
it's because it's a Groove thread, we are looking forward another scandal

more seriously the 400 posts are mostly about your top 55 ranking not the GOAT debate (not a debate anymore).
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #418
Future ATP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
yes I am a Djokovic fan but I hate when people put Laver ahead of Fed....I never watched Laver live but I saw Roger Federer and nobody was better than him and nobody will ever be .....some guy might win 20 GS's one day but he wont be Roger Federer........
You are sounding like the Fedtards, mate.

Oh, wait, maybe you are big upping Fed in order to make Djokovic's wins over Fed seem better in order to make Djokovic go higher than 31?

Ahhh, interesting reverse psychology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassquet View Post
it's because it's a Groove thread, we are looking forward another scandal

more seriously the 400 posts are mostly about your top 55 ranking not the GOAT debate (not a debate anymore).
The top 55 ranking involves the GOAT debate, and the 400 posts are just this thread. I think there are a multitude of other GOAT threads around MTF. Besides, if the debate is over, why are you bothering to debate me about whether or not the debate is over?

Quote:
Old 01-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #419
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

55 goats
54 goats
53 goats...

Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #420
country flag Macbrother

Location: Ward 47 of the Tilonus Institute for Mental Disorders
Macbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakasi View Post
In that case don't you think that like for like comparisons favour the old guys? Players like Rosewall are credited for their amazing longevity but how can you make any meaningful comparisons in that regard to guys like Federer when physicality was so much less of an issue? Indeed, how can you compare the slam successes of guys who had, in effect, more opportunities at the top to guys who could no longer compete from 30 onwards because of the nature of the game?
I do -- that's why it has to be taken into account and you can't just compare tit for tat. Is Fed/Nadal/Djokovic making a slam final in today's age at 37 like Rosewall? probably not. Did Rosewall face young, talented upstarts from places like Cyprus, Chile? No. But that doesn't take away from Rosewall having one of the best backhands in the history of the sport, his movement on clay, his mental toughness either, does it? You have to take everything into account to form a picture, and then make a best guess argument on what you see with your eyes and what facts you have at your disposal. This isn't an exact science and Johnny never claimed it to be.

The greatest backhand pass ever.

fucktard. n. A special variety of retard whose condition arises not from clinically demonstrable neurological impairment, but from buttersnap shitfuckery of the mind.
Macbrother is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote