Johnny Groove's Top 69 Players Ever (Nadal up to #7 of all time) - Page 26 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: How accurate was I?

5/5- Almost 100% spot on, Mr. Groove. I may switch a few around here or there, but good work 59 17.72%
4/5- More or less. I disagree with a few, but not bad at all 143 42.94%
3/5- Hmmmm, I dunno. Some look a bit dicey, mate 48 14.41%
2/5- Are you nuts? Why is X player in Y position? You are completely dissing Z player! 19 5.71%
1/5- Are you high and or drunk? WTF?!?!?! 64 19.22%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #376
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professor Johnny Groove's Top 55 tennis players of all time (Djokovic up to #31)

As for what can make Federer pass Laver?

If Federer wins Roland Garros, beating Nadal en route, he is the GOAT in my eyes.

If he wins RG w/o beating Nadal, then the argument with Fed and Laver continues, but Fed would be closer. If Fed wins 2 slams this year, let's say RG and Wimbledon, he'll be at 18 slams, 2 career slams, and all of his other records. If he gets back to #1 with his RG and Wimbledon titles and ends the year at #1, I will give the #1 all time title to Federer.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #377
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professor Johnny Groove's Top 55 tennis players of all time (Djokovic up to #31)

However, if Djokovic wins 2 slams and keeps #1 the entire year, he will move up arguably all the way up to #17.

So a lot on the line for all 3 guys in 2012.

Quote:
Old 01-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #378
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove Dude View Post
As for what can make Federer pass Laver?

If Federer wins Roland Garros, beating Nadal en route, he is the GOAT in my eyes.

If he wins RG w/o beating Nadal, then the argument with Fed and Laver continues, but Fed would be closer. If Fed wins 2 slams this year, let's say RG and Wimbledon, he'll be at 18 slams, 2 career slams, and all of his other records. If he gets back to #1 with his RG and Wimbledon titles and ends the year at #1, I will give the #1 all time title to Federer.
dude please tell me why is Laver above Fed?????I really want to know your logic behind that absurd claim
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #379
Future ATP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
dude please tell me why is Laver above Fed?????I really want to know your logic behind that absurd claim
Are you unable to read?

2 CYGS, 19 slams from 32 finals, 15 straight slam finals, 200 titles across all surfaces, 8 years as #1 or #2 in the world, come on.

Fed is close, and with a great year in 2012, will pass Laver.

Quote:
Old 01-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #380
country flag EddieNero

EddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Saberg, your condition for Fed to become the #1 of all time is out of this planet.
The guy has won 16 slams already and is the 6-time YEC champion, give me a break.
EddieNero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #381
Future ATP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieNero View Post
I agree with Saberg, your condition for Fed to become the #1 of all time is out of this planet.
The guy has won 16 slams already and is the 6-time YEC champion, give me a break.
What condition? My condition is Fed's resume must exceed Laver's.

At the same age as Federer currently is, Laver won all 4 slams I think my criteria is very fair.

Laver's numbers speak for themselves. Fed is the only one in the history of the game that has a resume that can nearly match it.

Quote:
Old 01-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #382
country flag EddieNero

EddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
At the same age as Federer currently is, Laver won all 4 slams I think my criteria is very fair.
Tennis was less physical in 60's and the fact he was able to win a Calendar Slam in his early 30's speaks for itself about the competition back then.
If it wasn't enough, Lavr won 3/4 slams on ultra fast grass, while Federer has to play on ass-slow courts where his offensive skills make less damage and is forced to compete with fantastic grinders.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #383
country flag Macbrother

Location: Ward 47 of the Tilonus Institute for Mental Disorders
Macbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Laver's numbers speak for themselves. Fed is the only one in the history of the game that has a resume that can nearly match it.
It's unfortunate people cannot realize what a profound compliment this is to Federer, this simple statement.

The greatest backhand pass ever.

fucktard. n. A special variety of retard whose condition arises not from clinically demonstrable neurological impairment, but from buttersnap shitfuckery of the mind.
Macbrother is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #384
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Are you unable to read?

2 CYGS, 19 slams from 32 finals, 15 straight slam finals, 200 titles across all surfaces, 8 years as #1 or #2 in the world, come on.

Fed is close, and with a great year in 2012, will pass Laver.
19 Slams? really ....how many did he win pre open era?Laver is lucky if he is top 5 in my book .....
Old 01-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #385
country flag EddieNero

This could be pondered as a compliment provided you can put an equal sign between those eras.
Unfortunately, tennis is a completely different sport these days and player like Laver would struggle to hold one service game.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #386
country flag Macbrother

Location: Ward 47 of the Tilonus Institute for Mental Disorders
Macbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieNero View Post
This could be pondered as a compliment provided you can put an equal sign between those eras.
Unfortunately, tennis is a completely different sport these days and player like Laver would struggle to hold one service game.
Mere speculation predicated upon ignorance -- the athleticism has increased, the dependence upon racket technology has increased, the skill and class has decreased -- take your pick.

The greatest backhand pass ever.

fucktard. n. A special variety of retard whose condition arises not from clinically demonstrable neurological impairment, but from buttersnap shitfuckery of the mind.
Macbrother is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #387
country flag tampie

tampie has a reputation beyond reputetampie has a reputation beyond reputetampie has a reputation beyond reputetampie has a reputation beyond reputetampie has a reputation beyond reputetampie has a reputation beyond reputetampie has a reputation beyond reputetampie has a reputation beyond reputetampie has a reputation beyond reputetampie has a reputation beyond reputetampie has a reputation beyond repute

I loved reading the top 25; It's quite hard to compare of course, and arguments as 'the competition was not as tough back then' are difficult to prove. Moreover, the differences with the amateur and pro tours make it hard to compare.

Where can I read about how these differences came by in a chronological order (f.e. 1950 pro tour started; Wimbledon having double tournaments back then, etc.)? Ty.
tampie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #388
country flag Saberq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbrother View Post
Mere speculation predicated upon ignorance -- the athleticism has increased, the dependence upon racket technology has increased, the skill and class has decreased -- take your pick.
Say Roger and Laver played in 2006 with Laver at his peak....Roger would win 6-1 6-2 6-1
Old 01-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #389
country flag tampie

tampie has a reputation beyond reputetampie has a reputation beyond reputetampie has a reputation beyond reputetampie has a reputation beyond reputetampie has a reputation beyond reputetampie has a reputation beyond reputetampie has a reputation beyond reputetampie has a reputation beyond reputetampie has a reputation beyond reputetampie has a reputation beyond reputetampie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
Say Roger and Laver played in 2006 with Laver at his peak....Roger would win 6-1 6-2 6-1
You imagine Laver to play with his wooden racket, aren't you?
New this year: Cash Money prizes (no entry fee for the game)
tampie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #390
country flag DLobb

DLobb has a reputation beyond reputeDLobb has a reputation beyond reputeDLobb has a reputation beyond reputeDLobb has a reputation beyond reputeDLobb has a reputation beyond reputeDLobb has a reputation beyond reputeDLobb has a reputation beyond reputeDLobb has a reputation beyond reputeDLobb has a reputation beyond reputeDLobb has a reputation beyond reputeDLobb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Lendl and Nadal are very close, clearly. Nadal I think if he gets his 11th slam this year and gets back to #1, It'll be tough for me to keep him behind Lendl, and if he wins 2 slams this year, maybe Rafa leapfrogs Borg as well into the #8 spot.

Not all about slams, mate. Lendl shits on Nadal in tons of other records. However, if Rafa wins the AO, I may have to reconsider.

Hmmm, are you arguing Lew Hoad to be higher than #44 on the list?

Hoad at his best was the greatest, even according to Pancho Gonzales himself. But Hoad was too inconsistent. Back issues, yes, but also some lack of interest in the game, despite huge talent.
Hoad was inconsistent as an amateur before 1958, as he himself admitted, saving his best tennis for the Slam events and Davis Cup. He was often upset in minor tournaments.
After turning pro, he quickly learned the money value of consistency, and won the year-end bonus money for best overall professional record in both 1958 and 1959. He was the first tennis player to earn more then $100,000 a year in tennis play for his first two years on the tour.
He became a part-time player in 1960, and dropped off the 1961 tour with a broken foot. He never again attempted to play a full year.
Should he be higher than #44? He is rated at #1 by Gonzales, Rosewall, Bucholz, Krishnan, Anderson, Emerson, Stolle, Roche, Newcombe, Davidson, Ulrich and many other players who saw or played against him. Enough said.
DLobb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote