Johnny Groove's Top 69 Players Ever (Djokovic #21 of all time) - Page 24 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: How accurate was I?

5/5- Almost 100% spot on, Mr. Groove. I may switch a few around here or there, but good work 62 18.02%
4/5- More or less. I disagree with a few, but not bad at all 146 42.44%
3/5- Hmmmm, I dunno. Some look a bit dicey, mate 49 14.24%
2/5- Are you nuts? Why is X player in Y position? You are completely dissing Z player! 19 5.52%
1/5- Are you high and or drunk? WTF?!?!?! 68 19.77%
Voters: 344. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #346
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professor Johnny Groove's Top 55 tennis players of all time (Djokovic up to #31)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
It's quite easy in reality, you are making the same mistake as many do. If it was just based on Slams, Gaudio would be better than Nalbandian.

If you are not prepared or willing to look at the times and conditions Lendl played in, just applying modern methods to it. Nadal has cashed in surface homogenisation something Lendl didn't.
you really have to let this go man
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 03:15 AM   #347
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professor Johnny Groove's Top 55 tennis players of all time (Djokovic up to #31)

Would be good if this was open era only.

Though, in the beginnings of the open era, some results would have (*) as well
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #348
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's quite easy in reality, you are making the same mistake as many do. If it was just based on Slams, Gaudio would be better than Nalbandian.

If you are not prepared or willing to look at the times and conditions Lendl played in, just applying modern methods to it. Nadal has cashed in surface homogenisation something Lendl didn't.
I'm going to ignore the surface homogenisation comment - Lendl was in Wimbledon finals & could have gotten the career slam - he didn't. Nadal is the best clay courter of all time - he's dominated that surface like no other. That dominance alone should count for something in my opinion. Stats such as being arguably the most successful teenager ever; winning at least a GS and a Masters a year for 7 consecutive years and counting (longer streak than any player - can tie Sampras & Federer on just the Grand Slam stat this year); longest consecutive run at no. 2 behind arguably the greatest player ever - all of these show a sustained high level & dominance that surpass Lendl in my opinion...

Nadal has far more records in the sport than Lendl does. It's not just Grand Slam numbers alone that I'm looking at. Overall Nadal is better IMO.
Ash86 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:25 AM   #349
country flag Arakasi

Arakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
Nadal has far more records in the sport than Lendl does. It's not just Grand Slam numbers alone that I'm looking at. Overall Nadal is better IMO.
Lendl holds many of most impressive records in the Open Era. Clearly, you have no idea what you're talking about if you make statements like that.
Arakasi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #350
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLobb View Post
Mention of Rosewall leads me to consider Rosewall's own personal ranking of the world's greatest ever tennis players in an interview he gave to an Italian magazine in 2010.
1)Hoad
2)Gonzales
3)Laver
4)Federer
Rosewall played against these players, apart from Federer, hundreds of times.
Gonzales himself, in an interview in 1995, rated Hoad's game as the best ever.
Laver has not committed himself to a ranking, but in early 1963 he was skunked 13-0 in a head to head tour by Hoad.
interesting though
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #351
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakasi View Post
Lendl holds many of most impressive records in the Open Era. Clearly, you have no idea what you're talking about if you make statements like that.
Lendl the father of modern tennis, as for people not knowing what they are talking about. Everyday happening on this board.

Yes, those weeks at number 1, forget about the US Open and TMC events, there are some records not Federer or Sampras were able to break.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #352
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute

Now that Djokovic has won Abu Dhabi he surely should be in the top 20s?

Pay your respects to the vultures. . . .

Did you know : the famous gangster Al Capone's criminal headquarters was based inside of a hotel

'82 - '91: best decade in tennis
hipolymer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #353
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakasi View Post
I'm not saying he doesn't have records - I'm saying Nadal's are more impressive - 81 wins on clay; 4 consecutive RGs; at least a Grand Slam & a Masters a year since 2005; record number of Masters; only man to win 3 slams on 3 different surfaces in a calendar year; only man to win same tournament 7 years in a row & a Masters at that. Factoring in who he was playing in those Masters tournaments and the fact that Federer & Djokovic have been two of his biggest rivals at the semi-finals & finals stage I think a lot of those records will look even better in retrospect.

I can see an argument for Lendl - it's all subjective after all - but just saying that focusing purely on no. of slams; no. of total tournaments etc. fails to take account of the overall impressiveness of a career which records such as this add to. I'd be interested in how many pros & journalists would put Lendl above Nadal? Nadal to me is Tier 1 with Laver; Sampras; Federer & Borg - or certainly very much on the cusp of it. One more slam, equal with Borg, cements Nadal as Tier 1. Lendl can't ever reach that level. For all those reasons to me Nadal leapfrogs Lendl - impressive though both careers are.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #354
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

nadal can kiss my unwashed ass
Old 01-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #355
country flag Shinoj

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not saying he doesn't have records - I'm saying Nadal's are more impressive - 81 wins on clay; 4 consecutive RGs; at least a Grand Slam & a Masters a year since 2005; record number of Masters; only man to win 3 slams on 3 different surfaces in a calendar year; only man to win same tournament 7 years in a row & a Masters at that. Factoring in who he was playing in those Masters tournaments and the fact that Federer & Djokovic have been two of his biggest rivals at the semi-finals & finals stage I think a lot of those records will look even better in retrospect.

I can see an argument for Lendl - it's all subjective after all - but just saying that focusing purely on no. of slams; no. of total tournaments etc. fails to take account of the overall impressiveness of a career which records such as this add to. I'd be interested in how many pros & journalists would put Lendl above Nadal? Nadal to me is Tier 1 with Laver; Sampras; Federer & Borg - or certainly very much on the cusp of it. One more slam, equal with Borg, cements Nadal as Tier 1. Lendl can't ever reach that level. For all those reasons to me Nadal leapfrogs Lendl - impressive though both careers are.
That itself is subjective because Nadal has benefited a lot from Surface homogenization. Almost all his Grand Slams are like played on Roland garos because this era offers almost the same surface on all Grand Slams.

You have to take into account that lendl played in an Era that had more varied surfaces and a better amalgamation of Top players than today.

It should not all be based on Statistics.
Shinoj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #356
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoj View Post
That itself is subjective because Nadal has benefited a lot from Surface homogenization. Almost all his Grand Slams are like played on Roland garos because this era offers almost the same surface on all Grand Slams.

You have to take into account that lendl played in an Era that had more varied surfaces and a better amalgamation of Top players than today.

Don't forget the whole TMS thing as well, bit hard to go on about that stat when they weren't officially around during Lendl's time. Lendl made 8 finals in a row at the TMC with the best 8 players in the world. Nadal isn't making 8 finals, let alone winning a few of them.

Then the usual spiel is the TMC doesn't count cause Nadal does poorly.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #357
country flag Ash86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoj View Post

Well then lets move Federer a lot further down the list too since he won all his slams in the same era.

This surface homogenization thing is nonsense - yes it's more homogenized but there is no way Rafa won those slams playing just like he does at RG. He had to make quite a few adjustments on grass - much better serve; better net skills; be more attacking; stand further up on the baseline... Just because it wasn't serve & volleying doesn't mean it was the same. Same for US Open - he had to get a much better serve & be more aggressive. If they're all the same then the claycourters who do well at RG like Almagro etc. would have similar success elsewhere but they don't. And finally the conditions are the same for ALL players in this era - why have only a few benefited? Perhaps because there are still differences and only a few like Fed & Nadal and now Novak & Murray are the best at adapting their games? Tell Roddick - the multiple Wimbledon finalist that RG plays exactly the same...
Old 01-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #358
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Sampras in his autobiography puts Lendl into the top tier along with himself, Federer, Borg and Laver.

Granted, the book was written a few years ago though.
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #359
country flag Shinoj

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Don't forget the whole TMS thing as well, bit hard to go on about that stat when they weren't officially around during Lendl's time. Lendl made 8 finals in a row at the TMC with the best 8 players in the world. Nadal isn't making 8 finals, let alone winning a few of them.

Then the usual spiel is the TMC doesn't count cause Nadal does poorly.

Spot on.

And he was runners-up 11 times in Grand Slams. A half of conversion would mean he could have been with 13 or 14 Grand Slams. That is an incredible stat as well.

He reached atleast one Grand Slam final for 11 years running. Can Nadal make it to a Grand Slam final in 2015?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #360
country flag Shinoj

Quote:
Well then lets move Federer a lot further down the list too since he won all his slams in the same era.

This surface homogenization thing is nonsense - yes it's more homogenized but there is no way Rafa won those slams playing just like he does at RG. He had to make quite a few adjustments on grass - much better serve; better net skills; be more attacking; stand further up on the baseline... Just because it wasn't serve & volleying doesn't mean it was the same. Same for US Open - he had to get a much better serve & be more aggressive. If they're all the same then the claycourters who do well at RG like Almagro etc. would have similar success elsewhere but they don't. And finally the conditions are the same for ALL players in this era - why have only a few benefited? Perhaps because there are still differences and only a few like Fed & Nadal and now Novak & Murray are the best at adapting their games? Tell Roddick - the multiple Wimbledon finalist that RG plays exactly the same...

Federer's game is different than Nadal. He has an attacking mindset and looks to dominate the opponents. In short he has a riskier game than Nadal.

With these surfaces it has benefited the player who takes lesser risk and in this case its Nadal who has benefitted.

Somewhat similar analogy, in the 1950s and 60s it favored the players who S&V and who had better volleys and touches. And in that case it was Rosewall who benefited the most because his game suited the conditions perfectly.