News & Articles about Grigor - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #76
country flag BlueLighthouse

BlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News & Articles about Grigor

Steve Tignor on Grigor

One Hand Tied Behind His Back

Quote:
My personal highlight of the opening weekend: Grigor Dimitrov’s overjoyed reaction to his win over Tomas Berdych. A Top 10 scalp (kind of a harsh term, isn't it?) has been a long time coming for this stylish and occasionally troubled former junior champ from Bulgaria. If there’s anything missing from the ATP right now, it’s young blood, someone to look out for. And Dimitrov, who is no cookie-cutter grinding baseliner, would be a great someone to look out for.

My personal lowlight: Seeing Dimitrov hit 18 winners in the first set of his next match, against Janko Tipsarevic, yet lose it in a tiebreaker after he threw in his first two double faults of the match. Dimitrov went on to lose the second 6-2.

There seem to be two possible Dimitrov stories to tell. One tells us that the ATP is a tougher nut than ever to crack. Teen prodigies have disappeared, the Top 4 win everything worth winning, and the rank-and-file are more competent than ever. Thus, progress is measured by one small step at a time, even for someone as talented as Dimitrov.

The second possible Dimitrov narrative is simpler, and, unfortunately, more disheartening: His backhand isn’t good enough. He committed 22 unforced errors in the first set against Tipsy; 20 of them came from the backhand side. Dimitrov has a one-hander, which gives him much of his flair, but it also makes it a less reliable shot than, say, Tipsarevic’s solid two-fister.

Of the Top 11 men in the world at the moment, only one, the 30-year-old Federer, uses a one-hander. I’ve been hoping that Dimitrov would be the guy who proved that you can still use one hand and win. Now I’m hoping he’s not the guy who proves the opposite.

Gulbis . Tursunov . Simon . Paire . Dimitrov . Thiem
BlueLighthouse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #77

BlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond repute

From ESPNStar.com

Dimitrov Laughs off Serana Questions

Quote:

Grigor Dimitrov always expected to hit the headlines one day, but what he never expected was that the majority of interest would surround his private life.

The Bulgarian 20-year-old has become a high-profile name at recent tournaments due the growing obsession over the nature of his relationship with Serena Williams, who has been spotted courtside at his matches.

Dimitrov has laughed off questions in that direction, but the attention he always craved has clearly not been entirely unwelcome, after one of the best performances of his career at the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami this week.

There Dimitrov, currently the world number 101, claimed his first career win over a top 10-ranked opponent in Tomas Berdych, before finally bowing out in the fourth round to Janko Tipsarevic.
Dimitrov is a former world number one junior who won both the Wimbledon and US Open titles in a stellar 2008 before making the immediate decision to concentrate on the senior circuit.

Big things were expected of the then teenage Bulgarian - but then, exactly the same had been said for his two immediate predecessors as Wimbledon junior champions, Donald Young and Thiemo de Bakker.
"I remember playing juniors and then coming up to these guys and I thought it was going to be a walk in the park," Dimitrov admitted this week. "But obviously it's not. Actually I'm pretty happy that I've got so far."

Dimitrov's progress has been slow and steady. Three years after committing to the seniors, he is yet to reach a tour final, and has not gone beyond the second round in his six main draw appearances at Grand Slams.
"It's very tough," admitted Dimitrov. "Nowadays I think the tennis is getting really competitive and it's a very physical sport so you've got to be on top every time.

"Of course you have your bad days, and you have to escape a little bit from them.

"The preparation (this season) was one of the best I did since I came on the tour. It has paid off a lot. I was expecting to play a little better at the beginning of the year, but obviously it wasn't the right time for me."
If there is any truth in the rumours of his relationship with Williams, Dimitrov can expect to stay in the headlines for some time to come. But the way it is finally going, his tennis could soon be doing just as much of the talking.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:12 AM   #78

Full presser after match vs Berdych

Old 04-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #79
country flag Hypnotize

Hypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond repute

Dimitrov hopes Serena rumours will not hit rise
Quote:
Grigor Dimitrov always expected to hit the headlines one day, but what he never expected was that the majority of interest would surround not his career, but his private life.

The Bulgarian 20-year-old has become a high-profile name at recent tournaments due the growing obsession over the nature of his relationship with Serena Williams, who has been spotted courtside at his matches.

Dimitrov has laughed off questions in that direction, but the attention he always craved has clearly not been entirely unwelcome, after one of the best performances of his career at the Miami Masters this week.

There Dimitrov, currently the world No 101, claimed his first career win over a top 10-ranked opponent in Tomas Berdych, before finally bowing out in the fourth round to Janko Tipsarevic, who was due to play Andy Murray in the quarter-finals last night.

Dimitrov is a former world No1 junior who won both the Wimbledon and US Open titles in a stellar 2008 before making the immediate decision to concentrate on the senior circuit.

Big things were expected of the then teenage Bulgarian – but then, exactly the same had been said for his two immediate predecessors as Wimbledon junior champions, Donald Young and Thiemo de Bakker.

"I remember playing juniors and then coming up to these guys and I thought it was going to be a walk in the park," Dimitrov admitted this week. "But obviously it's not. Actually I'm pretty happy that I've got so far."

Dimitrov's progress has been slow and steady. Three years after committing to the seniors, he is yet to reach a tour final, and has not gone beyond the second round in his six main draw appearances at Grand Slams.

"It's very tough," admitted Dimitrov. "Nowadays I think the tennis is getting really competitive and it's a very physical sport so you've got to be on top every time.

"Of course you have your bad days, and you have to escape a little bit from them.

"The preparation [this season] was one of the best I did since I came on the tour. It has paid off a lot.

"I was expecting to play a little better at the beginning of the year, but obviously it wasn't the right time for me."

If there is any truth in the rumours of his relationship with Williams,the young man from Haskovo, close to the borders with Greece and Turkey, can expect to stay in the headlines for some time to come. But the way it is finally going, his tennis could soon be doing just as much of the talking.
Hypnotize is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #80
country flag chantelle

chantelle has a reputation beyond reputechantelle has a reputation beyond reputechantelle has a reputation beyond reputechantelle has a reputation beyond reputechantelle has a reputation beyond reputechantelle has a reputation beyond reputechantelle has a reputation beyond reputechantelle has a reputation beyond reputechantelle has a reputation beyond reputechantelle has a reputation beyond reputechantelle has a reputation beyond repute

GRIGOR DIMITROV Q&A: A BULGARIAN IN PARIS
Grigor's interview today by ATP after his victory against Young
Lovely one, he's really humorous, especially the paragraph about the special of RG
chantelle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #81
country flag Hypnotize

Hypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chantelle View Post
GRIGOR DIMITROV Q&A: A BULGARIAN IN PARIS
Grigor's interview today by ATP after his victory against Young
Lovely one, he's really humorous, especially the paragraph about the special of RG
Nice interview. I especially like this quote which is the right attitude to have.

"You’ve come close to the Top 50 before, what do you think you need to do to take that next step?
It’s always nice to be consistent of course. Every player is travelling for that. I think if you are consistent and injury free and improve your game all the time, working on special things, you automatically become better. Everything is starting to become more fluid for you and automatically you win more matches, get more points and the ranking goes up. Personally, I think I can improve a bunch of things. I just have to take a little time. I’m not worried about it."
Old 06-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #82
country flag ClaudiaBUK

ClaudiaBUK has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiaBUK has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiaBUK has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiaBUK has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiaBUK has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiaBUK has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiaBUK has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiaBUK has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiaBUK has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiaBUK has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiaBUK has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.thetennisspace.com/off-co...o-be-superman/

60 seconds with Grigor Dimitrov:

Actor I would like to play me in a film about my life: Johnny Depp.

If I wasn’t a tennis player, I would be: A volleyball player.

I never travel to a tournament without: My iPad.

Favourite city on the tour: London.

The last place I visited on holiday: Thailand, two years ago.

Favourite restaurant on the tour: It’s in Paris. L’Avenue.

Favourite shop on the tour: Definitely Harrods.

The last book I read: Open, by Andre Agassi.

The last film I watched: Last of the Mohicans.

The last album I listened to: Lana Del Rey.

The last meal I cooked: Gnocchi with pesto.

The last joke I laughed at: One about 10 minutes ago, but I don’t think it can be repeated.

The last time I was recognised by a member of the public: A week ago, in Paris.

The last time I broke a racket: Oh, a long time ago, long time ago, I don’t remember.

Grass, hard or clay? Grass.

Hot or cold? Hot.

Sand or snow? Sand.

Be invisible or fly? I would be Superman.

If I won the lottery, I would: Do something with it, spend it on a charity.

-

Grigor Dimitrov is playing at this week’s Aegon Championships at Queen’s Club.

MURRAY - FEDERER - WARD - EVANS - WAWRINKA - DEL POTRO
ClaudiaBUK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #83

Oh well

Quote:
The last place I visited on holiday: Thailand, two years ago.
I remember that one. He just won 2 challengers in a row and I chatted with his coach (Peter Mc). He said he would go to Hua Hin with his wife and Grigor was going to Pattaya. These are two famous beaches with different characters. Hua Hin is calm and relaxing and Pattaya is fun and ummm adventurous for a young man -- Russian favourite party place.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #84

Quote:
The last time I broke a racket: Oh, a long time ago, long time ago, I don’t remember.
He tried in Nice a few weeks ago, the racket just refused to break.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #85
country flag Hypnotize

http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/n...t.html&BID=553
Quote:
DIMITROV KNOCKS OUT MAHUT ATP Queen's.

Young Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov showed exactly why he is being tipped for success as he knocked out Andy Murray's conqueror Nicolas Mahut in the third round of the AEGON Championships on Thursday afternoon.

Twenty-one year-old Dimitrov has been branded 'Baby Fed' due to comparisons between he and Roger Federer, and the six-time Wimbledon champion would have been impressed with some of the Bulgarian's powerful groundstrokes he displayed at Queen's.

Mahut was being tipped for a tilt at the title here after beating defending champions Murray, but the world number 65 had no answer to the power of the Bulgarian, who recorded a 7-6 (7/3) 6-4 win.

Mahut flew out of the blocks, breaking Dimitrov early on, but he started to get complacent with his groundstrokes.

The Frenchman handed Dimitrov two break points almost immediately but the Bulgarian wasted both opportunities and Mahut retained his advantage.

A topsy turvy 10th game saw Mahut waste one set point, and Dimitrov spurn six break points, before he finally broke the Frenchman with a powerful backhand.

Mahut played flawlessly against Murray in his third-set tie break yesterday but he allowed Dimitrov to break in today's showdown with a clever lob and he wrapped up the set with a drop volley after just over an hour's play on centre court.

Mahut seemed to have lost his edge and could not provide any response to the Federer-esque forehands Dimitrov was powering down from the baseline.

Mahut clipped the net cord and the ball went long to allow Dimitrov to break and move 3-1 in the second and the Bulgarian would have further extended his lead in his following service game.

Dimitrov already had the break he needed, however, and he held his next two games to love to ease in to the quarter-finals where he will meet ninth seed Kevin Anderson.

Anderson overcame fifth seed Feliciano Lopez 7-6 (12/10) 7-6 (9/7) on court one.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:42 AM   #86

Interview

Quote:
Grigor Dimitrov: Life on Tour
21-year old Grigor Dimitrov had some wise words about life on tour, which he shared exclusively with tennishead.

The likeable Bulgarian advanced to his first ATP World Tour Semi Final at the 2012 AEGON Championships at London's Queen's Club.

(Tennishead) You broke into the Top 100 at the end of 2011, how much tougher is it at this level?

(Grigor Dimitrov). I think it’s tough. When I tried to come up as a junior to the big guys, I thought I’m ready, you know I think I can do it. I thought it was just going to come natural and every match was going to be a win. I was really free-minded in a way, of course, that’s what you call inexperience. For my standards you’d say it’s an unbelievable year, but for my standards for what I really wanted to have at the end of the year it was OK I think, I could have done better.

TH. Who is helping you with your development?

GD. Well right now I’m practicing in Paris with the Mouratoglou Tennis Academy. I’ve been with them since 3 and a half years. I recently stop with my coach Peter McNamara, we’ve been together for a long time. I’m back with my Dad, he’s always been my coach and always been very supportive.

TH. How important is your relationship with your Dad?

GD. I need to count on someone and the only person that I knew, and actually I could really put all my trust in is him.

TH. What do you enjoy about being on tour?

GD. I don’t think it’s easy to be on tour at all. Just to give you one small example, sometimes if you have a week off from a tournament, you start not panicking but you question a lot of things and that’s the worst time I’d say for a player. I appreciate this time being alone. You don’t get this chance very often. Where I live is pretty…in Paris.

TH. Did you find it difficult to leave Bulgaria?

GD. I think it was quite easy for me because I left Bulgaria pretty early. I’m never homesick or anything, which is a bit sad, but you know, just the way everything turns out to be for me. I had quite a few obstacles on the way to now, where I am so I feel that I can really be myself. I mean that’s the most important thing, to be yourself.

TH. And do you like Paris?

GD. Love it, great city.

TH. I guess you don’t spend that much time there?

GD. Yeah, last year I was home just four weeks out of the whole year so it’s funny, but is just the way it is.

TH. Do you still feel an affinity for Bulgaria, even though you don’t live there?
GD. Yeah, Bulgaria is always going to be Bulgaria to me. I grew up there, I’m never going to forget my roots or where I came from. I had a very tough life as a child but, you know, growing up in a very small town and not in the best environment was, it kind of sticks on your mind and every time you try to go the other way and try to have this lavish type of, I stop myself right away. I’m really happy for this. Sometimes you meet up good guys, you meet celebrities and stuff and they are like, oh lets go there and this and then, all of a sudden you’re like, oh what am I doing. Its not my type of thing, its not my environment. So that’s why sometimes people think like oh, ‘he is a big deal’ and this and that, but in the end we’re, all the players I’m saying, everyone is human, everyone is.

TH. Who gave you your first racquet?
GD. My Dad.

TH. Do you come from a sporty family?
GD. Yeah, my Mum is a former volleyball player.

TH. And a P.E. teacher?
GD. Yeah, she is too teaching kids and stuff to play volleyball. And my Dad has been coaching, so he taught he taught me how to play.

TH. What surface suits you best?
GD. I would say the hard court.

TH. Is that what you grew up with?
GD. I grew up on clay. I don’t mind clay, but I am very comfortable on the other surfaces. It’s not like I hate clay or anything but. Plus most of the tournaments of the year are on the hard court, we have like 4 weeks or 5 weeks on clay.

TH. And then a weird amount of time on grass
GD. Exactly. I love the grass though. I really appreciate that time there. Yeah you got to be all-court player, that’s the way it is.

TH. What would it mean to you to play in the Olympics?
GD. Well I think first is a prestige, you know, and of course is going to be written in your résumé or whatever. What I care about is to experience the thing. I put this as a goal this year so I want to follow it. If I’m in I’m going to be probably one of the happiest guys ever. And especially London is one of my favourite cities, and I won Wimbledon there as well, had very good thing on the grass, so I’m really positive about it.

TH. What other goals have you set, apart from the Olympics?
GD. Yeah, I wanna achieve…this is my main thing to be honest with you. I don’t want to speak about the rankings and stuff because I think this thing is not permanent. This thing can change one day to the other, this is just, I think, nothing is permanent when it comes to that. You never know what’s going to happen tomorrow, you might get injury, you might stop. But I definitely have thoughts, let me just put it that way. I have thoughts. I have things to develop in my game that I really want to and if all that works, you know, everything follows by, everything falls into the right spot and everything is going to come more natural in the end. Because if you try to hustle your own luck, or to provoke anything it might not turn the way you want it.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #87
country flag nadejda

nadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
TH. Do you still feel an affinity for Bulgaria, even though you don’t live there?
GD. Yeah, Bulgaria is always going to be Bulgaria to me. I grew up there, I’m never going to forget my roots or where I came from. I had a very tough life as a child but, you know, growing up in a very small town and not in the best environment was, it kind of sticks on your mind and every time you try to go the other way and try to have this lavish type of, I stop myself right away.
He is so right! Grigor was born in 1991 and the 90's was one of the hardest years in our recent history. The country was on a verge of civil war 96-97 and it was especially difficult to survive in a small town like his home town.

Still he only trust his father and plays his best tennis with him. Maybe he shall coach him permanently?

Grigor Dimitrov

Soderling Cilic Murray Gasquet Tsonga Wawrinka Kohlshreiber Fognini Berdych Haas Melzer F.Lopes Nieminen Pospisil Davydenko Baghdatis Mahut Bellucci Berankis Harrison Troicki

Sampras & Safin

most beautiful sports: volleyball and tennis
nadejda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:23 PM   #88
country flag Hypnotize

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadejda View Post
He is so right! Grigor was born in 1991 and the 90's was one of the hardest years in our recent history. The country was on a verge of civil war 96-97 and it was especially difficult to survive in a small town like his home town.

Still he only trust his father and plays his best tennis with him. Maybe he shall coach him permanently?
I was wondering what he meant by that answer so thanks for explaining nadejda.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:27 AM   #89
country flag kr1s71an

kr1s71an has a reputation beyond reputekr1s71an has a reputation beyond reputekr1s71an has a reputation beyond reputekr1s71an has a reputation beyond reputekr1s71an has a reputation beyond reputekr1s71an has a reputation beyond reputekr1s71an has a reputation beyond reputekr1s71an has a reputation beyond reputekr1s71an has a reputation beyond reputekr1s71an has a reputation beyond reputekr1s71an has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
TH. Who is helping you with your development?

GD. Well right now I’m practicing in Paris with the Mouratoglou Tennis Academy. I’ve been with them since 3 and a half years. I recently stop with my coach Peter McNamara, we’ve been together for a long time. I’m back with my Dad, he’s always been my coach and always been very supportive.
Is that interview a new one? Why is he talking about splitting with McNamara and working with his father again when he should be still working with Mouratoglou?

Singles: [Rank: #24, Highest: #20]
2014: W: Indian Wells Masters
2012: W: Rio De Janeiro CH

Doubles: [Rank: #90, Highest: #45], Partnering with YEBRA
2014: W: Bucharest
2013: W: Chennai, Delray Beach, Tunis CH
2012: W: Dallas CH, St. Remy CH, Rio De Janeiro CH, Geneva CH
2011: W: Atlanta
kr1s71an is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:46 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr1s71an View Post
Is that interview a new one? Why is he talking about splitting with McNamara and working with his father again when he should be still working with Mouratoglou?
It's the latest interview from Queens. He's still 'in collaboration' with Patrick's academy, meaning training there, using facilities, etc but his father is the one travelling with him on the tour (for now).

Here's my interpretation of the entire coaching situation:-

He's been training at Patrick's academy for 3 years now and it looks as if that will continue. During those time, Peter Mc was his travelling coach. When they parted, he was looking for a coach but unsuccessfully so Patrick was kinda fill in and probably that didn't work out either probably because of his results in the first half of 2012 or probably because of Patrick's own commitment (he's a busy man with the academy to run and various media jobs.)

So now his father fills in the role of travelling coach. They also travel with a trainer (probably from Patrick's academy). I hope his father can leave everything at home (jobs, etc.) and travel with him permanently.

Travelling with father will do him good, gamewise and life in general. I feel like Grigor is still a baby and has so much to learn socially. From his interview, he still talks like teenagers with "you know", "stuff" etc. (If you listen to Milos interview, that's a thoughtful one).

----
Ok, I'll stop hard talk and continue fangirling like 13 years old