Davis Cup - Page 27 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #391
country flag justafanYYC

justafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Davis Cup

I think Tennis Canada has a dilemna.

Do they want to bring it to a smaller place and get the advantage? Maybe some french players won't go.

Or do they want to put in Toronto/Montreal so they can get big crowds and make money. Putting on a World Class 3-day event doesn't come cheap and I would think they would want to recoup that loss by making the event accessible to all in the tennis world (especially the execs in the VIP boxes).
2013 CH Yeongwol (outdoor hard)
2011 CH Samarkand (outdoor clay)

Doubles: 45
Championships:
2013 Masters 1000 Montreal (w/joe87) (outdoor hard)
2014 ATP 250 Casablanca (w/joe87) (outdoor clay)
2012 Special Olympic Tournament London (w/traddles) (outdoor grass)
justafanYYC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #392
country flag ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafanYYC View Post
I think Tennis Canada has a dilemna.

Do they want to bring it to a smaller place and get the advantage? Maybe some french players won't go.

Or do they want to put in Toronto/Montreal so they can get big crowds and make money. Putting on a World Class 3-day event doesn't come cheap and I would think they would want to recoup that loss by making the event accessible to all in the tennis world (especially the execs in the VIP boxes).
I have a strong feeling the tie will be out West - Calgary or Vancouver.
ibreak4coffee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #393
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver is too nice in Feb. Put the Frenchies in the Stampede Corral, Calgary
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #394
country flag theaub

theaub is on a distinguished road

Agreed...the tie needs to be in Vancouver or Calgary.

Looking at the schedule, there's 250's in France from 1/30-2/5 and 2/20-2/26, not to mention the Rotterdam 500 from 2/13-2/19. Don't know how many top French guys are going to want to fly halfway around the world right in the middle of that. Also helps that the tournament directly after DC is in San Jose so having the tie out west is easier for our guys.
theaub is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #395
country flag AnotherGameFor

AnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwy View Post
The more I think about it, the more I think 5% is too high actually.

Milos/Tsonga 1 in 8
Milos/Monfils 1 in 6
Doubles 1 in 2
Pospsil/Tsonga 1 in 15
Pospisil/Monfils 1 in 12
It all depends on Milos and how he recovers. But I still think this is far superior to say Spain where they can trot out a player who will almost always beat Milos. But before the injury, Milos was on track to easily make the top 20 if not start to crack the top 10, which to me gives him a way better than 1/8 chance vs top 10 but not big 4 players. So while I'm not going to call us a favourite or anything, I think we have a better chance against France than some of the other countries we could have drawn, and playing at home is a good boost as well.
AnotherGameFor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #396
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

your getting ahead of yourself, he was not cracking top 10
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #397
country flag justafanYYC

justafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Agreed...the tie needs to be in Vancouver or Calgary.

Looking at the schedule, there's 250's in France from 1/30-2/5 and 2/20-2/26, not to mention the Rotterdam 500 from 2/13-2/19. Don't know how many top French guys are going to want to fly halfway around the world right in the middle of that. Also helps that the tournament directly after DC is in San Jose so having the tie out west is easier for our guys.

That's Tennis Canada's Dilemna. Maybe they want the top french guys there. Sells more tickets. You and I are looking at it from a tennis fans point of view (put the french somewhere where they will be uncomfortable). But the other side is.. let's get the French players AND their fans here and make a tonne of money. How often will this opportunity come?
2013 CH Yeongwol (outdoor hard)
2011 CH Samarkand (outdoor clay)

Doubles: 45
Championships:
2013 Masters 1000 Montreal (w/joe87) (outdoor hard)
2014 ATP 250 Casablanca (w/joe87) (outdoor clay)
2012 Special Olympic Tournament London (w/traddles) (outdoor grass)
justafanYYC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:19 PM   #398
country flag Gonzil

Gonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond repute

On the other hand, Tsonga is wildly popular - at the Rogers Cup this summer there seemed to be a bigger crowd for his training sessions than any other player.

Montreal fans can also get pretty rabid in support of their man - ask Verdasco about the match he lost against Dancevic in 2007.

Anyway, it sounds sadly we Montrealers won't get a chance to show our mettle as fans: http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/201...le-for-wg-tie/

If Vancouver is indeed getting it, I think that they should organize fan training sessions there to make sure that they get up at least to the same pitch of intensity as the fans in Israel did.

Last edited by Snowwy : 09-23-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Gonzil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:09 AM   #399
country flag tommyg6

tommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver will get it, i think.
tommyg6 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #400
country flag m9m9m9m9m9

m9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends on which French players show up.
But anyway it's going to be very tough for us. They are all competent indoor players
m9m9m9m9m9 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:19 AM   #401
country flag FormerRafaFan

FormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond repute

Great to see my posts be deleted, considering my opinion is shared with lots of Canadians. I read the news, I know what's going on. But go ahead, keep censoring me. It won't push the problem away.

Also supporting known chokers Verdasco, Lopez and Monaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbERR View Post
Verdasco was their cheerleader, number one mascot.
They let him play tennis once after they saw his "consistency is everything" advertisement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
Joke thread? Kohlschreiber clowns this servebot in 3.
Maybe 4 or 5 if he wants to get more of a workout in.
FormerRafaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:29 AM   #402
country flag ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
Great to see my posts be deleted, considering my opinion is shared with lots of Canadians. I read the news, I know what's going on. But go ahead, keep censoring me. It won't push the problem away.
You're far overstating the "problem" to say the least.

It was heavy handed to delete so many posts. Snowwy, was that you? Most of the posts that were deleted were not hateful or anything else.
ibreak4coffee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #403
country flag Brad1973

Brad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond repute

It's great to have a World Group tie at home. These are exciting times for Canadian tennis. Raonic can do anything on a fast surface. Pospisil seems to be improving quickly. What he did against Israel should give him a lot of confidence and allow him to play even better. He's my choice for Nestor's doubles partner. He can play three matches on indoor even more easily than he did on outdoor. I give the Canadians 25-30% chance to win each singles match and 50% chance to win the doubles. That's 19% overall.
Brad1973 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:42 AM   #404
country flag Keech

Keech has a reputation beyond reputeKeech has a reputation beyond reputeKeech has a reputation beyond reputeKeech has a reputation beyond reputeKeech has a reputation beyond reputeKeech has a reputation beyond reputeKeech has a reputation beyond reputeKeech has a reputation beyond reputeKeech has a reputation beyond reputeKeech has a reputation beyond reputeKeech has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1973 View Post
It's great to have a World Group tie at home. These are exciting times for Canadian tennis. Raonic can do anything on a fast surface. Pospisil seems to be improving quickly. What he did against Israel should give him a lot of confidence and allow him to play even better. He's my choice for Nestor's doubles partner. He can play three matches on indoor even more easily than he did on outdoor. I give the Canadians 25-30% chance to win each singles match and 50% chance to win the doubles. That's 19% overall.
you may be right Brad, but I'm hoping for an upset
Keech is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:30 AM   #405
country flag DirtyDirty

DirtyDirty has a reputation beyond reputeDirtyDirty has a reputation beyond reputeDirtyDirty has a reputation beyond reputeDirtyDirty has a reputation beyond reputeDirtyDirty has a reputation beyond reputeDirtyDirty has a reputation beyond reputeDirtyDirty has a reputation beyond reputeDirtyDirty has a reputation beyond reputeDirtyDirty has a reputation beyond reputeDirtyDirty has a reputation beyond reputeDirtyDirty has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver confirmed:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/V...588/story.html

Good call by Tennis Canada I feel, Melbourne is from January 16-29, Montpellier starts January 30, then Davis Cup, then Rotterdam, then Marseille.

The French players will have to make tough calls with their schedules. Will they really want to come back to the west coast after returning to Europe from Melbourne? Will they skip French tournaments and/or the only European 500 in the winter?

Plus with Tsonga, Monfils and Gasquet having spotty injury records, there's a good chance they will not show up with their A-squad.

Meanwhile having the tie in Vancouver will make it easier for Milos to head down to San Jose to defend his title afterwards, and then Memphis where he is defending a final.

Still a formidable task though. Obviously have to make the court as fast as possible.
DirtyDirty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote