Davis Cup - Page 26 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #376
country flag Blarghman

Blarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Davis Cup

Tough one, of course, but should be fun to see anyways. Looking forwards to it, hopefully we can at least give the French something to think about
Blarghman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #377
country flag nellis_lv

nellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond repute

At least Raonic already beat Gilles once.

I think, though, considering how he suffers against guys like Weintraub with solid backhands . . . a gasquet would murder him.
nellis_lv is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #378
country flag AnotherGameFor

AnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty1 View Post
definately one of the toughest draws they could have gotten

no real chance for them to advance
Way too pessimistic. Milos can win 2 singles matches even against the French, and we always have a very good chance with doubles, which can give us 3 pts and the rubber. This obviously isn't guaranteed or anything. The worst draws would be to face a top 4 player who can beat Milos which puts us in trouble. PLaying at home will let us set up a super fast court to really let Milos do his thing.
AnotherGameFor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #379
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherGameFor View Post
Way too pessimistic. Milos can win 2 singles matches even against the French, and we always have a very good chance with doubles, which can give us 3 pts and the rubber. This obviously isn't guaranteed or anything. The worst draws would be to face a top 4 player who can beat Milos which puts us in trouble. PLaying at home will let us set up a super fast court to really let Milos do his thing.
I think we have a less than 5% chance of winning so I agree with misty, and usually I'm one of the more optimistic posters on here.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:12 PM   #380
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

It's tough when you consider they don't really have a weak singles player, Tsonga and Monfils and both top 10 I believe unlike Argentina who have Nalbandian, and Serbia who have Troicki/Tipsarevic. Spain is really the only other country with this characteristic. Thye also have a very capable doubles team with Llodra/Whoever. My goal going into probably any of these matches was gonna be win the doubles and maybe beat their #2 player twice, but that would be really really tough.

On the bright side last year France's singles players for the first tie was Chardy, and Simon. I could see us beating a team of Chardy and Simon twice in singles for sure.

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #381
country flag ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond repute

France

This will so tough. A February tie clearly is going to be played indoors, and they have the guys like Tsonga and Monfils to cause damage (plus a great doubles player in Llodra). I dont see us winning.

That said, I am definitely going to try and attend. It will be a fantastic atmosphere. My guess though is that the tie goes to Vancouver - a reward for Vasek's play, and about as far away from Quebec as possible. I would be intrigued in Montreal how much of the crowd would either be ambivalent or pro-French.
ibreak4coffee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #382
country flag FormerRafaFan

FormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibreak4coffee View Post
France

This will so tough. A February tie clearly is going to be played indoors, and they have the guys like Tsonga and Monfils to cause damage (plus a great doubles player in Llodra). I dont see us winning.

That said, I am definitely going to try and attend. It will be a fantastic atmosphere. My guess though is that the tie goes to Vancouver - a reward for Vasek's play, and about as far away from Quebec as possible. I would be intrigued in Montreal how much of the crowd would either be ambivalent or pro-French.

This is part of the reason why I want Vancouver to get the tie, but also because Vancouver is the tennis capital of Canada (most active players), and it's also where Vasek is from, so, like someone else said, it would be nice because Vasek almost single handedly won the Israel tie for his team.

Also supporting known chokers Verdasco, Lopez and Monaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbERR View Post
Verdasco was their cheerleader, number one mascot.
They let him play tennis once after they saw his "consistency is everything" advertisement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
Joke thread? Kohlschreiber clowns this servebot in 3.
Maybe 4 or 5 if he wants to get more of a workout in.

Last edited by Snowwy : 09-21-2011 at 06:11 PM.
FormerRafaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #383
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

I think we play them in Calgary. High altitude, skating rink courts.

Last edited by Snowwy : 09-21-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Snowwy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #384
country flag tommyg6

tommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond repute

I say we play France at the Corral in Calgary. We had lots of success there. Milos would thrive on a surfrace there.
tommyg6 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #385
country flag tommyg6

tommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwy View Post
I think we have a less than 5% chance of winning so I agree with misty, and usually I'm one of the more optimistic posters on here.
5%, thats a little too little. Raonic has already beaten Simon, Llodra before, so if he teams up with Nestor for doubles, he can take out Llodra/whoever and he has a fighting chance against any of Frances top players.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #386
Snowwy

The more I think about it, the more I think 5% is too high actually.

Milos/Tsonga 1 in 8
Milos/Monfils 1 in 6
Doubles 1 in 2
Pospsil/Tsonga 1 in 15
Pospisil/Monfils 1 in 12
Old 09-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #387
country flag justafanYYC

justafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond repute

We'll see. France has a suspect road record in Davis Cup.

2007 lost to Russia
2008 lost to USA
2009 lost to Czech Rep.
2011 beat Austria (barely), beat Germany, lost to Spain

So can't just go on paper. I also hope it's in the Corral. Monfils isn't good on fast courts and that place can get very loud!
2013 CH Yeongwol (outdoor hard)
2011 CH Samarkand (outdoor clay)

Doubles: 45
Championships:
2013 Masters 1000 Montreal (w/joe87) (outdoor hard)
2014 ATP 250 Casablanca (w/joe87) (outdoor clay)
2012 Special Olympic Tournament London (w/traddles) (outdoor grass)
justafanYYC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #388
country flag ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Yellowknife or Nunavut - lets see how badly the French guys want to win!
ibreak4coffee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #389
country flag shuhrat

shuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond repute

- : Fast court wouldn't hurt France. Tsonga, Llodra love it, Monfils, Simon aren't too shabby, either. There's a reason why they choose the lightening fast surface for Paris indoor masters. I wouldn't count Canada as the favorite even in doubles.
+ : You never know with France, as their players are kinda injury-prone. And some might not be keen to come to Canada in the middle of European indoor season.
shuhrat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #390
country flag tommyg6

Let's host it in Iqaluit, at their high school gym. That will mess with Monfils, Tsonga, Simons and all the Frenchs minds lol!