... - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #61
country flag EddceLLent

EddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eurosport Loses Roland Garros Tv rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbasher101 View Post
Screw SKY the greedy bastards. Their coverage is good by they are profiteering.
I'd rather see them make profits from a successful service than see energy companies make profits out of a bad service . Sky are an example of why free markets work - they make profits because their service is unrivalled, and rightly so in my opinion.
EddceLLent is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #62
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddceLLent View Post
I'd rather see them make profits from a successful service than see energy companies make profits out of a bad service . Sky are an example of why free markets work - they make profits because their service is unrivalled, and rightly so in my opinion.
They are successful largely because they were allowed to run a monopoly on satellite TV in the late 80s and build up a very dominant position, which they still hold onto.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #63
country flag EddceLLent

EddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn View Post
Appaling news. Itv coverage of any sport is absolutely disgusting.
+1, terrible!
Old 11-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #64
country flag merryploughbhoy

merryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thats an ignorant point of view, sky have and are destroying sport with their control greed and power, english football is an example....
merryploughbhoy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #65
country flag EddceLLent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
They are successful largely because they were allowed to run a monopoly on satellite TV in the late 80s and build up a very dominant position, which they still hold onto.
Though not on sports, they'd argue that the BBC have a monopoly, and in many ways they'd be right. You immediately say monopoly and people think badly of them but I really do think their product offering is good value for money (if you like football). Even though they've dominated the market it's not to say they haven't still innovated - with Sky+, then HD, anytime phone & broadband services, more and more channels, smaller and less conspicuous satellite dishes, online tv on demand. Admittedly I used to work for Sky, but I do believe they provide an excellent service.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #66
country flag EddceLLent

Quote:
Originally Posted by merryploughbhoy View Post
Thats an ignorant point of view, sky have and are destroying sport with their control greed and power, english football is an example....
What country has better domestic football coverage than the UK?

My argument isn't that free markets don't cause greed, because they do, my argument is that there's not an alternative that would produce as desirable results.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #67

merryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Though not on sports, they'd argue that the BBC have a monopoly, and in many ways they'd be right. You immediately say monopoly and people think badly of them but I really do think their product offering is good value for money (if you like football). Even though they've dominated the market it's not to say they haven't still innovated - with Sky+, then HD, anytime phone & broadband services, more and more channels, smaller and less conspicuous satellite dishes, online tv on demand. Admittedly I used to work for Sky, but I do believe they provide an excellent service.
The BBC's total coverage of all sport is worth peanuts to SKY's premier league revenue and profit alone. They then distribute that share of the profits very unevenly to the teams resulting in the same predictable league every year with teams unable to compete with others. Look at American sports leagues, hockey, football baseball and even basketball, A team can finish near bottom one year and win it the next, making it much more exciting for the fans because it's more of an even playing field thats not contolled by TV companies dictating clubs budget.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #68
country flag blanky987

blanky987 has a reputation beyond reputeblanky987 has a reputation beyond reputeblanky987 has a reputation beyond reputeblanky987 has a reputation beyond reputeblanky987 has a reputation beyond reputeblanky987 has a reputation beyond reputeblanky987 has a reputation beyond reputeblanky987 has a reputation beyond reputeblanky987 has a reputation beyond reputeblanky987 has a reputation beyond reputeblanky987 has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno...Germany as you get every match from 1st and 2nd division, national cup live and in full length, some 3rd division matches live too? What does the UK or rather England get?

It is done by Sky, but established before the company (then called Premiere) started belonging to Rupert Murdoch I think....

Edit: the big US Sports have a better chance of giving smaller teams at least a chance due to the draft system, not who gets what money from whatever TV Company imo. Then again...I still don't think it's much of an even playing field in any of those sports.
blanky987 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #69
country flag EddceLLent

Quote:
Originally Posted by merryploughbhoy View Post
The BBC's total coverage of all sport is worth peanuts to SKY's premier league revenue and profit alone. They then distribute that share of the profits very unevenly to the teams resulting in the same predictable league every year with teams unable to compete with others. Look at American sports leagues, hockey, football baseball and even basketball, A team can finish near bottom one year and win it the next, making it much more exciting for the fans because it's more of an even playing field thats not contolled by TV companies dictating clubs budget.
I think the Premier League has been brilliant so far this year! I don't really have much knowledge of how TV revenues are divided up but I guess for the American sports it'd be easier to distribute revenues equally if it's just in one country. If big clubs in the English Premier League stopped getting loads of money from tv deals then i'd expect we'd end up with some kind of European Super League. I guess what i'm saying is that it's more a trend for football in general than it is just down to the way TV revenues are distributed.

Haha this has gone way off topic Tennis woooooo, aces GRAND SLAM bagel SMASHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH and it's a WINNER
Old 11-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #70
country flag Ad Wim

Ad Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond repute

Damn, this is bad. Their switching to other courts on important moments was great. Now it's only women's tennis left...

AO still at Eurosport?
Ad Wim is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanky987 View Post
Dunno...Germany as you get every match from 1st and 2nd division, national cup live and in full length, some 3rd division matches live too? What does the UK or rather England get?

It is done by Sky, but established before the company (then called Premiere) started belonging to Rupert Murdoch I think....

Edit: the big US Sports have a better chance of giving smaller teams at least a chance due to the draft system, not who gets what money from whatever TV Company imo. Then again...I still don't think it's much of an even playing field in any of those sports.
You get a better service for the Bundesliga than English and Welsh premier league, In england they show maybe 3 or 4 games a weekend that mostly envolve the top 4 teams and the odd detby game, meaning if you support a smaller team you can't watch it live at 3 o'clock on a saturday unless you go to the game. I wonder why they can't have the same multi match coverage they have for the Champions league for premiership.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #72
country flag Mahqz

Mahqz has a reputation beyond reputeMahqz has a reputation beyond reputeMahqz has a reputation beyond reputeMahqz has a reputation beyond reputeMahqz has a reputation beyond reputeMahqz has a reputation beyond reputeMahqz has a reputation beyond reputeMahqz has a reputation beyond reputeMahqz has a reputation beyond reputeMahqz has a reputation beyond reputeMahqz has a reputation beyond repute

I hope Eurosport Germany will get the rights. There is no other channel which can broadcast as much live tennis as they did. Even not Sky, because they don't want to...
TT Singles ranking: 64 (High: 52)

TT Doubles: W 2013: Winston-Salem, Sarajevo; SF USO (w/ appleGirl)
TT Doubles: W 2012: Antalya, Tiburon; SF USO (w/ appleGirl)
TT Doubles: W 2011: Izmir CH (w/ appleGirl)
TT Doubles ranking: 62 (High: 31)

-- TT Board Member --
Mahqz is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #73
country flag ballbasher101

ballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate SKY but ITV is notoriously bad when it comes to sports coverage.. We are screwed big time. I actually got SKY sports thinking the greedy bastards were going to get the French open . Since I'm also a football fan it is not all bad.
ballbasher101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #74
country flag Ben.

Ben. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond repute

ITV? I'm sorry I ever badmouthed Eurosport. Where the fuck are the BBC and SKY who are getting payed all this money?
Ben. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #75
country flag Mr.Michael

Mr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond repute

I always understood that BBC had RG and so had Eurosport, right? Now the BBC rights have gone to ITV and the Eurosport rights are been negotiated, right? So the ITV thing doesn't really concern Eurosport?

We're propably talking about British Eurosport. But as far as I can remember Eurosport has always shown so much tennis and one could imagine they would do anything in their power to keep RG also in the future. I believe it's a French company and of course tennis is huge there, so it's logical they want to invest in tennis. That's propably the reason why they have the WTA tour. There's really not much to have from the ATP tour.

I think it's quite harsh that the ATP always sells the rights to one company, because after all there are many channels who want to show big tournaments. I guess the ATP rights will be up again late 2013? It will be interesting to see if Eurosport might challenge for them? After all they have huge following in Europe.

I remember reading that AO will be shown on Eurosport for five more years, but 2012 will be the final US Open year. I actually doubt they have the power to extend that US Open contract.
Mr.Michael is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote