Mens Tennis Forums banner

All 3 at stake tomorrow: the streak, No1 position and RG 2011 title

1K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  tennis2tennis 
#1 ·
If Djokovic loses to Federer his streak will be over so as his hopes of RG 2011 title. No1 position would be at stand by at least for a while.
I know the other three contenders also have their hopes and records to break but the pressure is clearly on Djokovic's shoulders. What do you think?

#15 ·
I think all 4 have a lot of pressure, even though they aren't going to admit it. :) Rafa will want to stop "bleeding", Roger has great chance to get 2nd RG with Rafa not at his best, and Andy would probably want to turn around his slump :)

i hate to break this to ya but if rafa makes the final, roger's so-called 'great chance' to get a 2nd rg title suddenly evaporate.. robin flukerling may have beaten an injured rafa in '09, but i doubt roger could even beat a 'merely subpar' rafa as long as rafa's healthy.. rafa's 'mental ownership' over the swiss is just too overwhelming for the old man to overcome at this stage of his career, not to mention rafa's perfect record in r garros finals: 5:0 and his equally perfect record against roger in paris: 0:4.. now if rafa and nole suddenly drop dead today, roger might.. just might have a shot against murray.. :devil:

#7 ·
What is obvious to me is that Murray's got nothing to lose but not so sure about Fed and Rafa

#8 ·
All of them are mentally strong and I see no chokes but looking at it objectively:

I'd say Rafa has the most pressure and the most to lose. He is the current nr1. He is the current champion. The chance for the Borg record. Not to mention he is 0-4 against Djokovic this year. Imagine if he goes down to 0-5 and 0-3 on clay!? Would be devastating.

Djokovics pressure is similar but he should know that he will get nr1 anyway. Rafa defends Wimbledon too remember and US Open. And he might even be delighted when the streak is over. Bet most of his questions nowadays are about that crazy streak. He will lose sometime.

Federer/Murray both got nothing to lose but so much to gain. That is pressure in itself. Murray never been to a big clay final. Never won a slam. Federer hasn't won a slam either in a long time now.

#13 ·
Exactly, and that notion could take the better of him. Having done so much this year and still tuogh goals ahead...I don't know.
Fear when things get tuogh he might just let go :sadface:

#11 ·
Hey Topspindoctor, there's a poster named Claycourter on Tennisforum, the women's forum, that site's sister. Are you by any chance that poster? That poster is also a huge Steffi Graf fan.

#12 ·
Nope, don't have much interest in current WTA to make an account there, the only WTA related posts I make are in the MTF's WTAW thread or livescore commentary.

#14 ·
If pressure is about breaking records (positive) expectations than Novak has the most pressure

If pressure is about fighting against the time/clock national (negative) expectations than Murray is under the most pressure..

It's with this in mind that I actually think Roger has the LEAST to lose...He's not under alot of postive/negative expectations...he's the older guys who's already amassed 16 majors and broke dozens of records, anything he wins after breaking pete's record is a bonus!! ...if Murray loses I'm sure the british press will go down heavy on him

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.