Mens Tennis Forums banner

Rijeka Challenger Possible Fixing Scandal?

19K views 76 replies 38 participants last post by  Joey Tribbiani 
#1 ·
Taken from a romanian newspaper:

Romanian bookmakers SuperBet found a tentative of fraude, after several betting tickets with the same matches were laid simoultaneosly at SuperBet agencies in Bucharest and Drobeta Turnu Severin (Romania).

The official SuperBet press release:
"Today, Advanced Betting System Inc. was the victim of a massive fraude tentative, by the fixing of some first round tennis matches from Rijeka Challenger. Here are the details:

9 first round matches were included on several tickets laid at the same time on SuperBet agencies in Bucharest and Drobeta Turnu Severin. The following matches were involved.

All the bets had a total amount of 1000 EURO, with a total winning sum of 147.000 EURO. All the tickets involved were canceled.

SuperBet has already informed the national tennis federations and ITF about this fraude."

As expected, the ticket would have been a winning one!
Guez - Brzezicki 6-1 6-1
Volandri - Dutra da Silva 6-4 6-2 (match from Prostejov Ch.)
Brose Bamberg - Artland 83-55 (German League Basketball)
A.Balazs - Julio Silva 6-1 6-2
Millot - Vagnozzi 2-6 4-6
Patience - Pedro Sousa 3-6 4-6
Prodon - Mesaros 4-6 6-2 5-6 ret. (Prodon retired when Mesaros was 2 pts away from winning!!!)
Devilder - Junqueira 1-6 2-6
Trujillo Soler - Gensse 6-3 6-3
Di Mauro - Zemlja 4-6 0-3 ret.
Another match involved, but not found on the ticket above is Zopp - Kellner 2 @ 1.98 (2-0 ret.)

Some interesting facts:
-- all the players selected won easily in 2 sets (not even a tiebreak!!!)
-- in the matches which were going bad, the player selected to win retired (Di Mauro, Prodon and Kellner)
-- in 6 / 10 matches there was a Frenchmen involved

See less See more
#5 ·
Re: Rijeka Challenger Fixing Scandal

SuperBet has already informed the national tennis federations and ITF about this fraude."

As expected, the ticket would have been a winning one!
Guez - Brzezicki 6-1 6-1
Volandri - Dutra da Silva 6-4 6-2 (match from Prostejov Ch.)
Brose Bamberg - Artland 83-55 (German League Basketball)
A.Balazs - Julio Silva 6-1 6-2
Millot - Vagnozzi 2-6 4-6
Patience - Pedro Sousa 3-6 4-6
Prodon - Mesaros 4-6 6-2 5-6 ret. (Prodon retired when Mesaros was 2 pts away from winning!!!)
Devilder - Junqueira 1-6 2-6
Trujillo Soler - Gensse 6-3 6-3
Di Mauro - Zemlja 4-6 0-3 ret.
Another match involved, but not found on the ticket above is Zopp - Kellner 2 @ 1.98 (2-0 ret.)

Some interesting facts:
-- all the players selected won easily in 2 sets (not even a tiebreak!!!)
-- in the matches which were going bad, the player selected to win retired (Di Mauro, Prodon and Kellner)
-- in 6 / 10 matches there was a Frenchmen involved

:lol: You got to wonder if the people behind the fixing are retarded. So dead obvious fixing in this case. Especially with the retirement when it's going badly and only a few minutes left anyway.

Also makes you wonder how much fixing that really goes on. Only the most retarded idiots (like in this case) get discovered. Makes you think if the entire Challenger tour is full of fixers and maybe even some winners on the challenger tour are doing progress in many tournaments because of fixing. That means lower quality even higher up in the rankings.

They should probably consider A) removing betting on challengers or B) increase the control and/or C) maybe even "bait" players with fake fixing and if they agree and do lose/retire without being injured then ban for life

#7 ·

[/B]

:lol: You got to wonder if the people behind the fixing are retarded. So dead obvious fixing in this case. Especially with the retirement when it's going badly and only a few minutes left anyway.

Also makes you wonder how much fixing that really goes on. Only the most retarded idiots (like in this case) get discovered. Makes you think if the entire Challenger tour is full of fixers and maybe even some winners on the challenger tour are doing progress in many tournaments because of fixing. That means lower quality even higher up in the rankings.

They should probably consider A) removing betting on challengers or B) increase the control and/or C) maybe even "bait" players with fake fixing and if they agree and do lose/retire without being injured then ban for life
There you go. Gotta make some sacrifices in the end.

#14 ·

This doesn't look good, the thing is there is no proof that all of them are involved, or really any of them, but extremely suspsious.
The problem is that it´s not a single match, or two. So many suspicious matches means that the money the players received must be a lot, much more than they would have made even if they reached the final roudns of the tournament. If that kind of money is going around the challenger circuit, its only logical that the temptation will be too much for a lot of players. The situation is getting worse and worse, the ATP need to react, and do it quickly, or the challenger-circuit will have no credibility left soon. Banning Däni is not enough.

#15 · (Edited)

Which other bookmakers accept bets winning EUR 150,000 on challengers? That seems like asking for trouble. I don't think even the biggest British bookies would accept such a bet even on ATP on Grand Slam matches. Edit: There were multiple tickets, but still a bit strange they didn't notice. It does strongly imply match fixing though.

#18 ·

Which other bookmakers accept bets winning EUR 150,000 on challengers? That seems like asking for trouble. I don't think even the biggest British bookies would accept such a bet even on ATP on Grand Slam matches. Edit: There were multiple tickets, but still a bit strange they didn't notice. It does strongly imply match fixing though.
only street and local bookies.

Online bookies have very low limits for CHs, usually around 500-1000 euro as top. If you parlay you can get a bit more.

#16 ·

A French poster wrote in the challenger forum Millot was being investigated in France for alleged fixing his match progress against Maxime Teixeira at RG.

I doubt being involved in Rijeka stuff would help.

#17 ·

A French poster wrote in the challenger forum Millot was being investigated in France for alleged fixing his match progress against Maxime Teixeira at RG.

I doubt being involved in Rijeka stuff would help.
I dont think the guy would be so retarded to fix one of the biggest matches of his life. That would be just insane

#20 ·

Story of Eastern European Challengers and Futures, seen this happening a lot in Romania/Hungary/Russia/Ukraine/etc :eek:

#21 ·

Man, I am not a gambler but it makes sense to maximize the profits. Its no only individual players that would do it, but they do as a group, so the ticket for the whole gets paid much more, is that correct? So the gambler would basically win on a ticket with 4-5 fixed matches. But it also makes it easier to suspect like in this case.

#22 ·

According to a post in the Challengers forum similar bets were made at other bookies in the region. So the Superbet bets are just part of it.

#27 ·
#28 ·

Nothing will come of it.

#31 ·

OK, so what is that basketball doing over there? Is it a kind of fig leaf? 1X at 1.08 doesn't look like a big risk with a home side being an overwhelming favoruite, but I sure as hell wouldn't put an event I don't have control over into a coupon if I had every other event in control.

#34 ·

OK, so what is that basketball doing over there? Is it a kind of fig leaf? 1X at 1.08 doesn't look like a big risk with a home side being an overwhelming favoruite, but I sure as hell wouldn't put an event I don't have control over into a coupon if I had every other event in control.
My guess is they had to put some unfixed results into the parlay in order to be less obvious. I know if I was aware of results of 9 tennis matches before they start, I would include 7 of them into multi( not all 9 on one ticket !) , add Miami to cover hc on one ticket with one bookie and Dallas to cover hc on other ticket with other bookie and so on.If I have @140 sure odds in my hand , I can afford to lose half of my @267 stakes. Noone would suspect if NBA final game with 50/50 chances to cover handicap is involved.It would be very stupid to do all bets with same bookie. Guys who did it were morons.

#32 ·

The thread name sounds really harsh!
Every day we are witnessing "strange" results.
Challenger games will not be removed from betting offers, simply because bookies are
making rather huge profits, that of course is never mentioned here.
Same event yesterday; Puc defetead Dabul!Is it possible to found out how many parlays were lost because of this? Of course not, but once somebody posts something like the poster who openened this thread, spirits get highly concerned! WTF!?
If we are talking about serious stuff, we wouldn't be talking about betting slips consisting of so many games in the first place.
I don't need to go more detailed, just a question: how many of you here have players in your avatars of signatures involving "clean" players?
Ha, ha...does it really matter?:rolleyes:
Show must go on!;)

#47 ·
They might think your the ringleader of it all :lol:

#54 ·
So true. I actually have never seen anything like this on the challengers level, but sure a mass fix would be the only way to win big. If other people made parlays on the same players, this case would seen more probable, but are they actually suspecting fixing because of one 1000 Euro bet? This whole story is very confusing to me, because Prodon was on the ticket to win and he retired - only explanation was that he was told to win and if he was close to loosing then he had to retire.

I probably don't understand the whole story because one 148,000 euro winnings doesn't so enticing to make this many players fix.

#48 ·
That not first time,when bookies after finish matches says: that was fixed.
second time in last 10 month different bookies says that,but noone say before matches started or etc.
Seurity departament in books or etc have a free salary.If any event in this bet loss we not heard about this theme. That wrong way. Right:say before the match that in your book expected high winnings if challenger matches will end with right result.If books are hide this info he must to pay.

#53 ·
thing is that fighting the players and creating a huge risk for players that want to fix is what can stop fixing. Just like doping. A certain percentage of the players will always consider doping but if the risk from all the tests and harsh punishments is big enough you keep them from crossing the line. You can't remove doping and medicines or the access to it. It will always be there. Just like the "access" to fixing if the betting is allowed

#59 ·
I'm sure gambling companies are doing some fixing themselves and no1 is talking about that...imo they should pay the winners their money and then start investigation and sue whoever is responsible for their loss. Probably many other ppl bet on those matches and lost and no1 will give them their money back just because the matches were fixed...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.