The Big Four in Compulsory Tournaments in 2011 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
country flag Pipsy

Pipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Big Four in Compulsory Tournaments in 2011

I just noticed that in every one of this year's compulsory tournaments, three of the big four made it through to the semi-finals:

Australian Open = Federer, Djokovic, Murray (plus Ferrer)
Indian Wells = Nadal, Federer, Djokovic (plus del Potro)
Miami = Nadal, Djokovic, Federer (plus Fish)
Madrid = Nadal, Djokovic, Federer (plus Bellucci)
Rome = Nadal, Djokovic, Murray (plus Gasquet)

I wonder if this trend will continue here. Obviously Djokovic and Federer are already through so it looks likely that at least three will get through. I wonder, will be the first tournament this year where all four semi-final places are filled by the big four?

Born to be the fourth best player in the world!

Statistics I maintain on MTF(updated to end of 2013)
Bagels Hall of Fame and Hall of Shame
Cumulative Weeks in Top 10
Grand Slam Wooden Spoon Winners

Last edited by Pipsy : 05-31-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Pipsy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
country flag Pipsy

Pipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond reputePipsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Big Four in Compulsory Tournaments in 2011

Of course if you go back to the last one before 2011 started, it was the same four who made the semi-finals of the WTF...

Born to be the fourth best player in the world!

Statistics I maintain on MTF(updated to end of 2013)
Bagels Hall of Fame and Hall of Shame
Cumulative Weeks in Top 10
Grand Slam Wooden Spoon Winners
Pipsy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

^^ Your post is a perfect illustration as to why there is still such a huge gap in achievements & ranking points between the current top-4 and the rest of the bunch - with perhaps the exception of Söderling and Ferrer who did (do?) have had quite a say in the matter as well.

Some folks will denounce this as being proof of it being a 'weak era'. I'd rather call it proof of a very strong top bunch of players who haven't allowed anyone yet to come near in some five years of time... and counting.

As for your question - yep, Djoko and Fed are already there. We've yet to see whether Rafa and Muzza will be able to join them. Both might be questionable as Rafa hasn't been showing his best level as of yet (whereas Söderling seems to be doing fine), and Murray - uhm, how bad is that ankle injury he got and how well has Chela been playing, needing a 5-setter to a qualifier to come through? Big, big questions...

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:59 PM   #4
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

and then people find it weird when i say this is a mug era.

the lack of competition is astonishing. like glenn said it once, the top 4 virtually get a bye to the semis in every freaking tournament.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

It is a sign of weak era. Ferrer and Soderling aren't bad, then HUGE drop-off. I think it'll be 2/4 tbh. Chela won't choke like Troicki if Murray's still injured and Soderling looks better than Nadal

Robredo, Matosevic, Estrella, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez, Thiem
emotion is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
country flag Certinfy

Certinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond repute

Soderling will beat Nadal.
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
if he loses this I will support Murray
Certinfy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
country flag tennisfan856

tennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like the other 96 athletes are playing with a pay check in mind, not a heart.
tennisfan856 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:26 PM   #8
country flag dombrfc

dombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certinfy View Post
Pumped it for this, cmon Robin!

Pablo CARRENO-BUSTA - Juan Martin DEL POTRO - Grigor DIMITROV - Lukas ROSOL

Marcos BAGHDATIS - Julien BENNETEAU - Roberto CARBALLES-BAENA - Alexandr DOLGOPOLOV - Dan EVANS - Ernests GULBIS - Robin HAASE - Lukas LACKO - Leonardo MAYER - Giles MULLER - Dominic THIEM
dombrfc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:27 PM   #9
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certinfy View Post
Maybe he will, maybe he won't.
At least Sod is the #5 in the ranking, which only proves my point even more.

An ultra-strong bunch of top players around right now, who barely leave a scrap for the rest of the players to feed on.

But of course, some will find more evidence for a 'weak era' in these facts. I guess those are the same folks who'd like to see a new #1 every three weeks or so, and probably without even winning ONE slam title. WTA, anyone?
Or do the Weak Era Tards genuinely believe that the WTA is in fact very strong right now, just because of that?

Some strange kind of reasoning going on there...

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:40 PM   #10
country flag romismak

romismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond reputeromismak has a reputation beyond repute

This is nothing new, since 2008 most of big tournaments have at least 2,3 guys from this big 4. But it won´t happen to long, because Delpo will be back in top 5 and there will be no big 4 anymore but top 5 will be the group of guys one level above the rest of the field - next 2 years - then Federer will be too old to compete i think.
romismak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:51 PM   #11
country flag stewietennis

stewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond repute

Three are playing for legacies. It's the job of the rest to improve their game.
stewietennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:11 PM   #12
country flag Vida

Vida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
and then people find it weird when i say this is a mug era.

the lack of competition is astonishing. like glenn said it once, the top 4 virtually get a bye to the semis in every freaking tournament.
this never made sense and still doesnt. top 4 are better players than the rest right?

if the rest were better than they are, there would be even more top players who reach semis so often - and that never happened in any of the strong eras. in fact, never have the top players been so good/consistent, so it is impossible, or at least extremely difficult to have more 'that good' players.

basically, asking for more competition now, when we have as much excellent players, means asking them to let others have some share for the sake of numbers.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:50 PM   #13
country flag Ljubo_rulz

Ljubo_rulz has a reputation beyond reputeLjubo_rulz has a reputation beyond reputeLjubo_rulz has a reputation beyond reputeLjubo_rulz has a reputation beyond reputeLjubo_rulz has a reputation beyond reputeLjubo_rulz has a reputation beyond reputeLjubo_rulz has a reputation beyond reputeLjubo_rulz has a reputation beyond reputeLjubo_rulz has a reputation beyond reputeLjubo_rulz has a reputation beyond reputeLjubo_rulz has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting statistics, can anyone bother to do the same for 2008-2010?

Anyway, it's impossible to tell if this is a sign of mug era, or simply that the top 4 players are much above the rest of the field.
Ljubo_rulz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:20 AM   #14
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida View Post
this never made sense and still doesnt. top 4 are better players than the rest right?

if the rest were better than they are, there would be even more top players who reach semis so often - and that never happened in any of the strong eras. in fact, never have the top players been so good/consistent, so it is impossible, or at least extremely difficult to have more 'that good' players.

basically, asking for more competition now, when we have as much excellent players, means asking them to let others have some share for the sake of numbers.
you start from the premise that the top 4 are great and awesome compared to the top players of previous eras and i highly disagree with that. they aren't. they look good because they havent had to face a quality competition and if they did, trust me, they'd certainly lose more often.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:27 AM   #15
country flag PiggyGotRoasted

PiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond reputePiggyGotRoasted has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is you can look at it two ways if the rankings are top heavy, strong players at the top or everyone else is weak and the top players are nothing special.
PiggyGotRoasted is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote