How Do We Know that Nalbandian is So Talented?? - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-26-2011, 01:49 AM   #61
country flag delboy

delboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Do We Know that Nalbandian is So Talented??

shame fat dave has done fuck all with his talent and won't be remembered by anyone..I liked watching him play, back when he was good anyway.

probs his most memorable match?
delboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 02:21 AM   #62
country flag Collective

Collective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe32 View Post
Well I am done posting on this thread because I apparently I can't convey myself well enough and am offensive by nature.

I believe Nalbandian, Safin, Gulbis and Gasquet are extremely talented players and I am big fans of at least Nalbandian and Safin. But I just never understand the overreaching comparisons to the greats. I know all 4 of those guys have had their lapses in concentration from time to time, but I see that kind of mental weakness as being a lack of talent.
May I beg you to not throw Safin in the same bag as Nalbandian? And even less so in the same bag as Gulbis and Gasquet? The guy did win two Grand Slams, beating big names in route (Sampras, Federer in USO 2005 semis).

-Scott Adams-
Collective is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:28 AM   #63
country flag tests

tests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
May I beg you to not throw Safin in the same bag as Nalbandian? And even less so in the same bag as Gulbis and Gasquet? The guy did win two Grand Slams, beating big names in route (Sampras, Federer in USO 2005 semis).
in that case, kafelnikov>>>>>>nalby
tests is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:29 AM   #64
country flag Collective

Collective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond reputeCollective has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tests View Post
in that case, kafelnikov>>>>>>nalby
Indeed. Anyone pretending that Safin's importance to the game is similar to that of Gulbis needs to reevaluate his/her life.

-Scott Adams-
Collective is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:37 AM   #65
country flag SerialKillerToBe

SerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond repute

Safin is not in the same bag as Nalbandian, but he still never reached his potential concerning slam titles.
SerialKillerToBe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:19 AM   #66
country flag tennishero

tennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond repute

these threads are getting really old now....

anyway i'll add my part,

the level of tennis nalbandian showed in the 07 masters was phenomenal, he dominated the top players with ease.
in my opinion the only player capable of doing such a feat was federer who was #1 whilst david was in the #20's at the time.

Nathalliia made some nice points. he can compensate his lack of fitness and movement with his technique and effortless shotmaking ability. besides his movement in his early years was great.

i cant think of another player outside the top 5 that can show up from nowhere and dominate the playing field like david has done.
tennishero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:58 AM   #67
country flag FlavorNuts

FlavorNuts has a reputation beyond reputeFlavorNuts has a reputation beyond reputeFlavorNuts has a reputation beyond reputeFlavorNuts has a reputation beyond reputeFlavorNuts has a reputation beyond reputeFlavorNuts has a reputation beyond reputeFlavorNuts has a reputation beyond reputeFlavorNuts has a reputation beyond reputeFlavorNuts has a reputation beyond reputeFlavorNuts has a reputation beyond reputeFlavorNuts has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinooooo View Post
Great talent. Many similar topics to this, but I remember someone writing a great post about Nalby went something like this -

Look at the guy. He has no really special physical attributes. He's not the greatest mover or the quickest, or best defender. He can't just fall back on defending all day, getting balls back. He isn't the strongest or most powerful. He isn't tall. He has a weak serve.

And yet despite that, the guy has the ability to beat and cause trouble to most anyone including some of the best in the game. For me, that's a great sign of talent. He has to primarily rely on his point construction, and shotmaking ability to get by. He can't fall back on the crazy defending/flexibility/physicality of guys like Nadal, Djoko and Murray. He doesn't have the tremendous serve of a Fed. He doesn't have the easy power of a Del Potro.

It's tough to play consistently when you don't have much else to rely on.
Is this the post you're talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorNuts View Post
Nalbandian is respected because he's an elite tennis player without a serve or any athletic ability. All he has to go on is hand eye coordination and court sense.

I remember watching him hold match points against Nadal at Indian Wells last year, a guy about 20 lbs overweight against the fittest player on tour, predicting every one of Nadal's shots and always staying in control with precise deep balls, all while being hampered with a hip injury and hitting 80mph serves.

They love him not because he's the best, but because he makes normal people want to play tennis.

There are players with bigger serves and better movement, but no one hits a better ball than Nalbandian.
The fact is, there are players more talented than Nalbandian, the definition of talent being the capacity to be successful at what you do. It's just that humans are more appreciative of hand eye coordination and court sense(Nalbandian) than a good throwing arm and self discipline(Roddick), even though the latter will win you more titles. People watch tennis to be entertained, so it's only natural that they would throw praise at Nalbandian and disregard Roddick.
FlavorNuts is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:07 AM   #68
country flag SerialKillerToBe

SerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with FlavorNuts.

It doesn't help that "talent" is such a vague term and could apply to practically anything.
SerialKillerToBe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:09 AM   #69
country flag Ibracadabra

Ibracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
shame fat dave has done fuck all with his talent and won't be remembered by anyone..I liked watching him play, back when he was good anyway.

probs his most memorable match?
Aslong as i love tennis fit dave will always be remembered.

But he lost 23 times against you.
's right. We have to also throw into the mix. But I do not think it is currently the decisive factor. But he has achieved in my opinion too much. Maybe this is crucial if I move him even closer after major victories. But 14 or 17 Grand Slam titles is a significant difference. At the present time there is no question that he must be the greater player than me.

David Nalbandian
Ibracadabra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:11 AM   #70
country flag tests

tests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennishero View Post
these threads are getting really old now....

anyway i'll add my part,

the level of tennis nalbandian showed in the 07 masters was phenomenal, he dominated the top players with ease.
in my opinion the only player capable of doing such a feat was federer who was #1 whilst david was in the #20's at the time.

Nathalliia made some nice points. he can compensate his lack of fitness and movement with his technique and effortless shotmaking ability. besides his movement in his early years was great.

i cant think of another player outside the top 5 that can show up from nowhere and dominate the playing field like david has done.
other than that match with federer, i think nalbys and safins davis cup 2002 match was FUCKING AWESOME. nalby was fit as hell too
Old 05-26-2011, 04:12 AM   #71
country flag tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
Safin is not in the same bag as Nalbandian, but he still never reached his potential concerning slam titles.
what was his potential, when it comes to slams won
Old 05-26-2011, 04:13 AM   #72
country flag tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorNuts View Post
Is this the post you're talking about?The fact is, there are players more talented than Nalbandian, the definition of talent being the capacity to be successful at what you do. It's just that humans are more appreciative of hand eye coordination and court sense(Nalbandian) than a good throwing arm and self discipline(Roddick), even though the latter will win you more titles. People watch tennis to be entertained, so it's only natural that they would throw praise at Nalbandian and disregard Roddick.
true.. but i think the difference might be that what nalby does is much more difficult or "natural/innate" than what roddick does.

Did that make any sense? lmfao
Old 05-26-2011, 04:21 AM   #73
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute

Nalbandian has one of the best BH I've ever seen and his court positioning was really good as well, but I believe he's way too overrated because his serve and FH weren't THAT great (not calling either one muggish or anything, they were good but not up to the level his BH had); thing is, when he's on, he's a clean ballstriker and that's something rare these days, where everyone grunts and grinds their way to victory.

Arkulari is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:30 AM   #74
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Fit Dave at his best:

Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:42 AM   #75
country flag tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Fit Dave at his best:

nalbandian handles nadals top spin incredibly well.. i would love to see prime safin vs prime nadal as well!