How Do We Know that Nalbandian is So Talented?? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #31
country flag Gabe32

Gabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Do We Know that Nalbandian is So Talented??

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiBeR View Post
yet again, as i said before you are judging nalbandian by your aims and your standarts.

If the guy doesnt want to become n1 (he claimed he had no interest a lot of years ago, look up articles, interviews, etc..) why do you insist on comparing him with someone with a different ambition???

he loves rally, girls, golf, futbol and food. Am I missing something? i think i am..

what you are saying is that Nalbandian should be judged under Federer's standarts and ambitions or your standarts and ambitions..
Now that is an interesting argument!

You really think he simply doesn't care that much?? Not wanting to be number 1 doesn't necessarily mean that. 9/10 players would say they would want a slam over a top ranking.

What you said can definitely be true, in that Nalbandian is super talented and simply doesn't try.

But this argument inherently lends itself as an excuse. Saying "Oh yeah, I really didn't give it my all..." every time they lose is cheap.
Gabe32 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #32
country flag Gabe32

Gabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond reputeGabe32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
Your OP and every subsequent post is written with 'looking-for-a-fight' tone, yet you lecture on not being confrontational. Take the responses you get on the chin. It's what people think about what you had to say and the way in which you say it. BTW, no one has to convince you of anything. No one gives a shit whether you believe it or not.
I don't know how I am looking for a fight buddy. People are making good points and are interesting to hear from.

Do you have anything to say about the subject? or...
Old 05-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #33
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe32 View Post
How? She has never won a slam.

Serena has 0 movement, and little or no technique ... do you think she is more talented?
No but she wins every other tournament.

And for Serena, that would depend on whether or not you consider pure power as talent.

Pay your respects to the vultures. . . .

Did you know : the famous gangster Al Capone's criminal headquarters was based inside of a hotel

'82 - '91: best decade in tennis
hipolymer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #34
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Talent isn't the kind of thing you can "measure", so if you're insisting on statistical proof, you are ensuring you will never be "convinced" from the get-go. A player's overall career record is an indication of his talent, but it is absurd to treat the two as coterminous - otherwise Federer would have magically lost talent if he'd been hit by a bus in 2005. The sign most people recognize, even if not explicitly, is the standard of play somebody plays at his best. Assessing this is a matter of judgment rather than bean-counting, but it helps when the player in question is capable of beating top-ranked players when playing his best. Nalbandian clearly fits the bill.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #35
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Look no further than TMC 2005 and 2007 Madrid/Paris.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #36
country flag r2473

r2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
Nadull, on the other hand, has very little talent.
Wow. I've met some tough critics before, but you have pretty high standards indeed.

I'm guessing lot's of people would like to have "very little talent".
r2473 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #37
country flag FiBeR

FiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Now that is an interesting argument!

You really think he simply doesn't care that much?? Not wanting to be number 1 doesn't necessarily mean that. 9/10 players would say they would want a slam over a top ranking.

What you said can definitely be true, in that Nalbandian is super talented and simply doesn't try.

But this argument inherently lends itself as an excuse. Saying "Oh yeah, I really didn't give it my all..." every time they lose is cheap.
Ok. End of arguments with you.

Not only you seem to have never watched a match from the guy, you don't seem to care to find the truth. Lack of respect from you. You are asking questions, you get information about it yet you come up with "excuse" conspiracy arguments. I thought you wanted a real non-bullshit answer. I see now you want a MTF troll thread. Good luck with it. Im outta here.

Sorewa ore no Nindou da

6-4 3-6 6-7 7-6 70-68

FiBeR is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #38
country flag Gabe32

Quote:
Ok. End of arguments with you.

Not only you seem to have never watched a match from the guy, you don't seem to care to find the truth. Lack of respect from you. You are asking questions, you get information about it yet you come up with "excuse" conspiracy arguments. I thought you wanted a real non-bullshit answer. I see now you want a MTF troll thread. Good luck with it. Im outta here.
Am I missing something??

I said your argument makes sense! And it can be true, but simply lends itself to being a cop-out.

What you said very well can be the case.

Maybe I need to learn how to post on message boards or something. I wasn't being sarcastic or anything.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #39
country flag GugaF1

GugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, dude, your thread is just too extreme. Is quite simple are Nalbandian/Gasquet very talented players? yes. Are they more talented than Federer? of coruse not and I have not seen any people saying this besides you and whoever claims that is a tard.

The reasonable idea is that Nalbandian has achieved a bit below his potential, but to say his more talented than Federer? just ludicrous. This tainted your overall point.
GugaF1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #40
country flag Gabe32

Well I am done posting on this thread because I apparently I can't convey myself well enough and am offensive by nature.

I believe Nalbandian, Safin, Gulbis and Gasquet are extremely talented players and I am big fans of at least Nalbandian and Safin. But I just never understand the overreaching comparisons to the greats. I know all 4 of those guys have had their lapses in concentration from time to time, but I see that kind of mental weakness as being a lack of talent.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #41
country flag FiBeR

FiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Am I missing something??

I said your argument makes sense! And it can be true, but simply lends itself to being a cop-out.

What you said very well can be the case.

Maybe I need to learn how to post on message boards or something. I wasn't being sarcastic or anything.
well.. maybe you are coming off wrong. I want to believe you are since you had the same reaction with oranges.
But it is a bit annoying when you know a guy, have heard from him, heard his interviews watched his statements, his matches and somebody coming up saying "what if everything you know isnt real?"

e.g.: "USA is in europe, otherwise people living there should be aborigins".. you live there, you know it isnt in europe. You show someone a map and he answers "the map could be a fake too"

to your statement for me it's like you want to answer "mate, im showing you the map, ive been to the USA life and you want to believe everything i know is false without a real proof that USA is in Europe?"

That's what i read from you and oranges read from you, that kind of attitude. It's like you need to know your shit before posting, and if you dont, at least try to show a humble attitude. It's different if you ask "Is the USA in europe?" "Can this map be a fake?" than claiming it as if they were facts.

Sorewa ore no Nindou da

6-4 3-6 6-7 7-6 70-68

Old 05-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #42
country flag LawrenceOfTennis
Banned!

LawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I play tennis 2 or 3 times a week, and I have a strong amateur game. Okay,it's a joke to compare it to even challenger level, but I "feel" it more than those who never played it. Nalbandian is one of the most inconsistent players in the last decade, but injuries also didn't allow him to reach the very top. If you look at his best matches, that's clear even for non-experts like me, that he is a pure natural talent. In the years 2002-2005 (07) he had some very good periods, and he always caused a huge trouble for Federer. Plus, I know it's not the best way to convince anybody, but Wilander said at one occasion that Nalbandian is the most talented player along with Federer. I think Wilander is not the best at predictions...but as a former number one, I guess he can recognise talent.
LawrenceOfTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #43
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Also look at his DC record.. he wants to win it and he hardly losses no matter who's in front. It's up to motivation and he doesn't care for being the best in history...
Didn't he keep losing to Hewitt in DC matches?
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #44
country flag FiBeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by atennisfan View Post
Didn't he keep losing to Hewitt in DC matches?
2005 AUS v. ARG WG Qtrs
Sydney, Australia Grass RR Nalbandian, David
6-2, 6-4, 6-4
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/...=N301&oId=H432

All of Nalbandian's wins over hewitt came in Australia

Sorewa ore no Nindou da

6-4 3-6 6-7 7-6 70-68

Old 05-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #45
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well I am done posting on this thread because I apparently I can't convey myself well enough and am offensive by nature.

I believe Nalbandian, Safin, Gulbis and Gasquet are extremely talented players and I am big fans of at least Nalbandian and Safin. But I just never understand the overreaching comparisons to the greats. I know all 4 of those guys have had their lapses in concentration from time to time, but I see that kind of mental weakness as being a lack of talent.
Then you're just stretching the definition of "talent" to mean "everything that conduces to success". And if you're going to do that, of course you wouldn't differentiate talent & achievement.