Johnny Groove vs. Freak3yman84 3-6 1-6 3-6, video and thesis on post #4,506 - Page 38 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #556
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Johnny Groove 1-6, 4-6 vs. Marc Yurgenson (ITF #2,223)

have you ever tried a more classic 90 square-inch racquet?
the technique is actually good imho, top 100 if not something more.
try to post an entire match and I'll write an analysis of the strokes and changes that need to be adopted.
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 06:45 AM   #557
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforced Terror View Post
Serve is pretty amateur, but you know that.

Your defense off the backhand side seems to be terrible. Maybe you should consider two-hander for defending/rallying, and one-hander when you really want to go for it.

Also, your forehand is awkward and jumpy, but I guess it's working for you

Otherwise not bad You could probably take several games off of me.

You look hot in sleeveless BTW
Well at least I have this going for me.

Funny thing, I hit a 2 handed BH for 7 years, but nowadays I have zero technique with a 2 hander I think it will be 1 handed from here on in for me.

Defensive BH slice definitely needs to improve, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrows View Post
where did you see this?
http://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/...erid=100132045

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
a final couple cents about the serve, hopefully useful - the toss atm is the least of your problems.

First step - rotation of the body - you have none, you serve facing the net during the whole movement, which is wrong.
Second step - back shoulder drops, front rises. Your shoulders stay horizontal during the whole thing, which isn't right as well.
Third step - it will come naturally with the first two - bending the knees, push up and do the whip as high as possible.
Fourth step - the one we tend to discuss about pros, who have fixed all the above points at 12 - high enough toss, slightly ahead, but this last one is just fine tuning, you need 1 and 2 asap if you expect smth from your game.

and i imagine your volleys should be a flaw (normally people would stress on other issues an considering your serve, you probably haven't exercised much on the volleys), so at one point you probably should work on them more, not only coz you won't be able to finish a point off at the net, but because not feeling at least confident with them you get often forced to overplay short-ish balls, which makes you an easy pry to any technical guy moving you back and forth.

But volleys are like the toss - fine tuning, work on rotation and shoulders, otherwise the limitation is too big to even dream of anything more.

I hope this helps. Cheers
Good stuff here, latso, very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
try to post an entire match and I'll write an analysis of the strokes and changes that need to be adopted.
When I first started playing, I had the Agassi Head Radical 107 head size I played with that for like a year or so, then switched down to the Head Radical but in the 98 head size. I had that for a while before I switched to the Nadal racquet, 100 sq. inches, and used that from April 2007 until May 2010, where I developed soooooo many injuries. I had the original, Cortex, and also the GT.

In May 2010, I switched from the Babolar Aeropro Drive to the Wilson Ncode 95. I had that for the rest of 2010, before switching to the Babolate Pure Storm 95 LTD in early 2011. I had that racquet until July 2011 when I switched to the BLX Wilson 6.1 95. I used that from July 2011 until May 2012, when I demoed a bunch of racquets.

I demoed the newer Wilson Pro Staff 90, Head Prestige 93, Babolat APD 100, also Babolat Pure Drive 100, the Babolat Pure Storm, I think another one too, and finally, the original Wilson Pro Staff 85 (or at least the modern Tennis Warehouse rendition). And of all those racquets, I ended up liking the Pro Staff 85 the best I've been using the 85 from May 2012 until now.

So I have gone really from 107 when I began down to 98, back to 100, then to 95, tried the 90, didn't like it, and loved the 85. To me, the smaller head size is not so much an issue. You just need to keep your eye on the ball all the way in and have good technique, 2 things which you ought to be doing anyways. I don't shank the ball any more or less than I did with the 95, if anything, I like the 85 better because there is no racquet out there with the control of the 85. With a 95 or a 90, you hit in the middle, you are not always assured of it going right where you want, there is still some margin of error. With the 85, if I hit it in the middle, with good technique, it is going RIGHT where I want it to, every time, no bullshit. And it is so much more solid, the 80% graphite 20% kevlar, it is a real racquet. My other racquets felt like toys compared to the 85, really.

As for taping a match, I am planning on taping a practice session with a fellow 4.5/5.0 player, a friend of mine around my level tomorrow. Not sure if I will have enough time to edit and upload before work at 5 tomorrow, but I will try for sure.

Also still not sure where or what I will be playing this weekend. Should I semi-vulture the 4.5's or should I play in the Opens?
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #558
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
top 100 technique? what?

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #559
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

yeah beware how much you practice with the wall

will kill your reflexes and mindset for playing with a person, have to be extremely familiar and used to variation in pace and shots. wall does not bring any challenge obviously

you should find some practice partners free at a certain time every week for a few days, find out when, change your availability at Dominoes (AKA Dominoes can't possibly need you in mornings / late mornings???) and get more serious training/sparring

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #560
country flag Chris Kuerten
Banned!

Chris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond repute

Looking forward to seeing you in action on an actual court
Chris Kuerten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #561
country flag scarecrows
Ace Loveforty

scarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
ah, he used to have his other surname Spyropoulos in his Australian tournaments

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows
scarecrows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #562
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Christos can barely post a game on the board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
I knew I was going to regret, reading inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Weren't you just pestering another guy about his grammar, not so long ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
And your problem with my grammar is?
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #563
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I played pretty shit today, but I got it on tape, I'm pretty sure there are some good points in there.

Also I switched back to my old serve and did some serve and volley. Let me edit this and post it to youtube before I leave for work in 2 hours.

WOW, ZERO knee bend from me from the baseline

Here it is, I am in the white shirt, my friend is in the red:

Quote:

Last edited by Johnny Groove : 10-16-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #564
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

did you borrow the camera from the Lumičre brothers?
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #565
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

your friend has top 100 potential

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #566
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Was this filmed on your calculator ?
But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
Quote:
"Janowicz is a little crazy, but off the court very nice and humble." - Jurgen Melzer

http://marekfurjan.blox.pl/2014/11/S...lczy-o-AO.html
^^^ suck it ill informed JJ haters.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #567
country flag Chris Kuerten
Banned!

Chris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond repute

The Fog and I don't bend our knees either and do just fine. Although ideally you should, of course.

Stopped watching after a couple of minutes because the quality is so terrible, but I like the pop on your forehand. Have you started adjusting your second serve as well? I'm the exact same height as you and my first serve is good, but my second serve is pretty weak, although some players find it hard to deal with because it's so much weaker than my first and they get their timing wrong a lot. However, I only serve one or two DF's on a bad day, which is a lot more important.

Keep this up and I can see you squeezing out a 5.5 rating at your peak.
Chris Kuerten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #568
Future ATP Star

Quote:
did you borrow the camera from the Lumičre brothers?
No, but it is a camera from 2007, which is ancient at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_here_grindin View Post
your friend has top 100 potential
His lefty serve and FH, when on, I can do nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowManyTimes View Post
Was this filmed on your calculator ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo Kuerten View Post
The Fog and I don't bend our knees either and do just fine. Although ideally you should, of course.

Stopped watching after a couple of minutes because the quality is so terrible, but I like the pop on your forehand. Have you started adjusting your second serve as well? I'm the exact same height as you and my first serve is good, but my second serve is pretty weak, although some players find it hard to deal with because it's so much weaker than my first and they get their timing wrong a lot. However, I only serve one or two DF's on a bad day, which is a lot more important.

Keep this up and I can see you squeezing out a 5.5 rating at your peak.
Quality picks up considerably in the 2nd half.

I do need to do something with that 2nd serve, the kick simply isn't working, maybe a slice 2nd would be better? But such low net clearance! I've got to do something, even if it is pushing the 2nd serve, just to get it in.

Other things I noticed on the video:

1. Will probably stick with this serve as opposed to the other one
2. Knees must bend more from baseline and serve
3. Gotta drop weight, I am 159 right now, too much
4. Gotta get back into the gym also, still not strong enough, especially squats, which will help me with getting low
5. Keep working the shoulders, as they are still not where they need to be, still not stable, still popping
6. Improve those volleys
7. Everything else also must improve
8. Gotta quit the Dominos job so I can have more time to train and rest, but I need the money, but I need the training, but I need the money, but I need the training, fuck what a dilemma.

Quote:

Last edited by Johnny Groove : 10-16-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #569
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

your BH looks like struggle shot, you have De Schepper like motion, so it can't be good
samanosuke is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #570
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Don't quit your job
But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
Quote:
"Janowicz is a little crazy, but off the court very nice and humble." - Jurgen Melzer

http://marekfurjan.blox.pl/2014/11/S...lczy-o-AO.html
^^^ suck it ill informed JJ haters.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote