Johnny Groove Tennis Career - Page 37 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #541
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Johnny Groove 1-6, 4-6 vs. Marc Yurgenson (ITF #2,223)

The serve needs a lot of work. Especially the ball toss, your arm doesn´t go all the way and as a result your toss is low and you end up hitting the ball quite low. I would fix the toss before even thinking about how to bend the knees.

I don´t mean to sound discouraging, but fixing these kind of basics is difficult at your age. In order to make it to the top, these kind of things need to be taught at a very young age, fixing them when your over 20 is very, very difficult. You can still be a good club player, but setting goals higher than that might lead to dissapointments.
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #542
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Dude, you need to throw the ball much higher in the toss. All your serves will end up in the net if you keep serving like that.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #543
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo Kuerten View Post
Master troll strikes again. There is no one beyond the age of 10 who would hit against a wall in a serious context.

Having said that, your service clearly needs work, it's lacking in every department. Grunts are on point.
Grunt GOAT, perhaps.

My serve is horrible, trust me I know I am not saying I am Sampras here at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwy View Post
Groundstrokes look good
I think so. From the baseline I am pretty solid, I have hit with players up to #800 in the world, like

http://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/...erid=100003879

I hit with him for about 20 minutes back in March or so, and I hung with him from the baseline 80% of the time He destroyed my serve though and my return was iffy at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
Messy...srsly

loads and loads of work are to be done with you my friend and it's no guarantee still.

The serve is actually horrendous, amateur style movement, really below par.

BH looks relatively OK tbh, but FH and footwork are not. You can't do this movement with your right leg with every FH strike, you can't hit all FHs almost in the air (you need to be grounded in stable position) and feet are not working the right way, no small adjustment steps, no cross steps, just jumping around.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but only your BH looks to have potential, the rest needs to be re-done from scratch.

I admire your extravert personality, not ashamed of showing yourself in an internet forum, knowing there will be loads of criticizing (which would occur even if you played flawlessly as you know), but i can't twist my tongue, you have a lot of work to do - with a coach!

GL
This is interesting that you say this. My BH I just switched to a 1 hander barely 2 years ago I don't think it is as good as my FH, it isn't actually. I control points with the forehand, the BH is good though, I can attack with it and rally with it. Also maybe not in this video can you see everything, and my footwork is hardly "just jumping around". Yes I jump into shots, because it adds more force into the ball. The pros are jumping into almost every FH, especially the short players, look at Ferrer, he is my height, he is hopping around like a Mexican jumping bean trying to get every bit of weight into his shot.

Of course I have a lot of work to do, even if I was #1 in the world I'd still think I'd have more work to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoj View Post
Everything was Ok till i saw You serve.... WTF was that? Have you learnt serving a week back or something ? You really look like a non sports person trying to serve Tennis...
I dont want to discourage you but you have some decent groundstrokes but that serve is pathetic. Do you get those balls over the Net ?
Did you watch the video? Almost all the serves were in, or if I missed, I usually miss long. I agree my serve is shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
The serve needs a lot of work. Especially the ball toss, your arm doesn´t go all the way and as a result your toss is low and you end up hitting the ball quite low. I would fix the toss before even thinking about how to bend the knees.

I don´t mean to sound discouraging, but fixing these kind of basics is difficult at your age. In order to make it to the top, these kind of things need to be taught at a very young age, fixing them when your over 20 is very, very difficult. You can still be a good club player, but setting goals higher than that might lead to dissapointments.
Good observation here, you are right, my tossing arm doesn't go all the way up, which affects the entire motion from there on in. Even so I still get relatively decent pop when it goes in, but the % is not the best. Shoulders and upper back I need to strengthen, because I feel limitations. Maybe this is why I release the toss too early. My shoulders are constantly popping in and out, left and right. No pain, just annoying. Yeah it is difficult to change and improve, at this age, sure, I agree, but not impossible. I just switched from 2 hands to a 1 handed BH barely 2 years ago and I think my BH is pretty strong now. So what is to say my serve cannot be fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAlmeida View Post
Dude, you need to throw the ball much higher in the toss. All your serves will end up in the net if you keep serving like that.
Yes indeed. My serve is the biggest thing, and indeed the toss, releasing the ball higher on the toss.

Overall, good, positive that I saw myself on the video. I know exactly what to work on now.

Camera don't lie.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #544
country flag Blue Heart24

Blue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
First time I've seen myself on video since the summer. Gotta say, on my serve, the toss is not actually as bad as I thought, but the bending up the upper back and whip through of the upper back on serve is my undoing.

Groundstrokes look good.
You need to extend your right arm.You toss the ball and go straight up.You need to take more time.Where will you get the power from? From the non existing knee bend? Take a look where Federer's racket is in the moment he releases the ball http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InYd8IrFnkU
At least you do jump after serve,but imagine how much you could get from a proper knee bend and a proper motion.The ball toss,you already said.

You mentioned gym for 1 hour which is definitely not enough.I don't know how fit you are,but you need endurance and speed more than you probably think,considering what type of a player you are.

As for tennis sessions,I hope the wall is not the way you train most of the time.While it can improve endurance and strengthen your shots if you go full smacking mode,it can't replace proper on court training not even close.You really,really need quality players to hit with.A coach too,but if you can't afford it right now...Don't know how good is the best player you played against,but you're going to find yourself in a situation where you will lack time to react on their shots and unable to control your own racket on it.

The DF's are entirely psychological,you need to find a way to get these serves in.Can't afford more than 4-5 DF's max per match.Let them destroy you on your 2nd serve now.You'll deal with it later.Now just make sure you are able to get it in anytime.A good safe slice,but don't let the racket speed drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
JG, here are some questions:

1) What's the largest crowd that watched you play?
2) Do you drink booze or eat pizza? When? How much?
3) What time do you get up everyday? On the weekend?
4) What's your work-out regimen? On court, weights, other...
5) Mental toughness? Do you ever get butterflies or weak legs?
6) Describe your worst tantrums.
7) Any rituals? (ie: tugging undergarments or touching things?)
8) Break down your shots and compare them to the pros (moonballer like nadal? flatballer like djoker? serve like milos?)
9) Self belief (are you a mexiCAN or a mexiCAN'T?)
10)Are you making fun of us in this thread?
Nice try,might work in the Djokovic forum.

Last edited by Blue Heart24 : 10-15-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Blue Heart24 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #545
country flag Mateya
Mateja Atptourova

Mateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond repute

Johnny, your serve is a mess

But it can be fixed. I had a joke serve to begin with, but have corrected it at the age of 20 to be somewhat competitive.

I had a few rolemodels from ATP and WTA and tried to copy them with help of videos and my coach. I still have a very quick service action and low ball toss, something like Montanes. Looks a bit goofy, but it's quite effective as you can see. Also had trouble delivering topspin to the ball, it took me a long time to bend the knees properly and get the whole rythm of the service motion right.

Mateya's FAQ: Yes, I'm a girl. Profile pic is me. I watch and play tennis since 13 (1997). I don't play ITFs anymore, I have a job now. MTF-> uncovering my naughty side since 2007.
http://www4.slikomat.com/13/1210/88t-Mateja.jpg
Slovenia's finest: Grega Žemlja, Aljaž Bedene, Blaž Kavčič; Anže Kopitar, TINA MAZE, Melanija Trump, Mateja *********.
SLOVENIA - small but extremely dangerous.
Umag > Roland Garros
WTA tour
Nothing in life is NID.
Mateya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #546
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

define "hang with" in reference to hitting with the guy from the 800s. Because lots of guys can keep a rally going but in the end they lose the point and then the match like 6-2 6-0. We're you winning points?

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #547
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heart24 View Post
You need to extend your right arm.You toss the ball and go straight up.You need to take more time.Where will you get the power from? From the non existing knee bend? Take a look where Federer's racket is in the moment he releases the ball http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InYd8IrFnkU
At least you do jump after serve,but imagine how much you could get from a proper knee bend and a proper motion.The ball toss,you already said.
Great video, will study each frame.

You are right, I can get much more mph on my serve with a higher toss, which will naturally cause a deeper knee bend. I served with a speed gun last week, and my serves were only in the 80-90 mph range. The hardest one I hit was like 97 mph. Much much more is needed.

Quote:
You mentioned gym for 1 hour which is definitely not enough.I don't know how fit you are,but you need endurance and speed more than you probably think,considering what type of a player you are.

As for tennis sessions,I hope the wall is not the way you train most of the time.While it can improve endurance and strengthen your shots if you go full smacking mode,it can't replace proper on court training not even close.You really,really need quality players to hit with.A coach too,but if you can't afford it right now...Don't know how good is the best player you played against,but you're going to find yourself in a situation where you will lack time to react on their shots and unable to control your own racket on it.

The DF's are entirely psychological,you need to find a way to get these serves in.Can't afford more than 4-5 DF's max per match.Let them destroy you on your 2nd serve now.You'll deal with it later.Now just make sure you are able to get it in anytime.A good safe slice,but don't let the racket speed drop.
1 hour in the gym I feel is good for me, at this point at least. It is not the time you spend in the gym so much as the quality of the workout, and I get a very good workout for 1 hour. As for the wall, it was only today. I have a tough time finding sparring partners with my Dominos work schedule, but sometimes I can find some good juniors to play against, not consistently enough though, I admit.

DF are horrible for me, I always hit double digit DF per match, it is my biggest weakness. I must go for more or else they will destroy my 2nd serve, it is a tough middle ground to cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateya View Post
Johnny, your serve is a mess

But it can be fixed. I had a joke serve to begin with, but have corrected it at the age of 20 to be somewhat competitive.

I had a few rolemodels from ATP and WTA and tried to copy them with help of videos and my coach. I still have a very quick service action and low ball toss, something like Montanes. Looks a bit goofy, but it's quite effective as you can see. Also had trouble delivering topspin to the ball, it took me a long time to bend the knees properly and get the whole rythm of the service motion right.

Interesting take, love. Thanks for the words, and yes, it will be fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_here_grindin View Post
define "hang with" in reference to hitting with the guy from the 800s. Because lots of guys can keep a rally going but in the end they lose the point and then the match like 6-2 6-0. We're you winning points?
I was winning points, sure, from the baseline. Forcing him into error, a couple winners from the FH side, but something like 6-2 6-0 would probably be an accurate scoreline against me, if I even get those 2 games, because my serve is so terrible, I can't even get into the rallies in the first place.

Overall, I need to improve the serve, serve, serve.

Quote:
Old 10-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #548
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

What score did the wall win ?

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #549
country flag Blue Heart24

Blue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Heart24 has a reputation beyond repute

Btw Xristos isn't retired I think, he won a match in Greece futures QD in May and supposedly playing more soon.
Make sure you record playing a set Johnny.
Blue Heart24 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #550
Future ATP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowManyTimes View Post
What score did the wall win ?
6-0 6-0 double golden set

Quote:
Btw Xristos isn't retired I think, he won a match in Greece futures QD in May and supposedly playing more soon.
Make sure you record playing a set Johnny.
Good to hear Xristos doing well.

I'll get on that video of a set when I can, definitely.

Quote:
Old 10-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #551
country flag Unforced Terror

Unforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond repute

Serve is pretty amateur, but you know that.

Your defense off the backhand side seems to be terrible. Maybe you should consider two-hander for defending/rallying, and one-hander when you really want to go for it.

Also, your forehand is awkward and jumpy, but I guess it's working for you

Otherwise not bad You could probably take several games off of me.

You look hot in sleeveless BTW

Last edited by Unforced Terror : 10-15-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Unforced Terror is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #552
country flag scarecrows
Ace Loveforty

scarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
where did you see this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows
scarecrows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #553
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforced Terror View Post
Serve is pretty amateur, but you know that.

Your defense off the backhand side seems to be terrible. Maybe you should consider two-hander for defending/rallying, and one-hander when you really want to go for it.

Also, your forehand is awkward and jumpy, but I guess it's working for you

Otherwise not bad You could probably take several games off of me.

You look hot in sleeveless BTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
I knew I was going to regret, reading inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Weren't you just pestering another guy about his grammar, not so long ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
And your problem with my grammar is?
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #554
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

a final couple cents about the serve, hopefully useful - the toss atm is the least of your problems.

First step - rotation of the body - you have none, you serve facing the net during the whole movement, which is wrong.
Second step - back shoulder drops, front rises. Your shoulders stay horizontal during the whole thing, which isn't right as well.
Third step - it will come naturally with the first two - bending the knees, push up and do the whip as high as possible.
Fourth step - the one we tend to discuss about pros, who have fixed all the above points at 12 - high enough toss, slightly ahead, but this last one is just fine tuning, you need 1 and 2 asap if you expect smth from your game.

and i imagine your volleys should be a flaw (normally people would stress on other issues an considering your serve, you probably haven't exercised much on the volleys), so at one point you probably should work on them more, not only coz you won't be able to finish a point off at the net, but because not feeling at least confident with them you get often forced to overplay short-ish balls, which makes you an easy pry to any technical guy moving you back and forth.

But volleys are like the toss - fine tuning, work on rotation and shoulders, otherwise the limitation is too big to even dream of anything more.

I hope this helps. Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauletekis View Post
there won't be many WC matches that are going to be played at the same time of Wimby, but if I have to choose, WC will always come first by a long shot. Even if it's Argelia vs. South Korea.
no shit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B1S View Post
Both as long as they don't overlap, but when they do - it's world cup every time for me.
NID
latso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #555
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

The net isn't a mirror, you don't need to face it while serving.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote