Johnny Groove Tennis Career - Page 26 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #376
country flag Shinoj
Banned!

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Johnny Groove 1-6, 4-6 vs. Marc Yurgenson (ITF #2,223)

Can You tell me what is your Training Schedule etc? What time you get up and how many hours you put in training and in Gym etc. Top players spend minimum 4 Hours in Physical Training i.e. apart from the Time spent on Court. I am guessing they spend around 14- 16 Hours dedicated to their Sport.
Shinoj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #377
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

My 2 cents here - play more tournaments where you are competitive, with guys your level or slightly above. It will give you much more than getting baggeled week in week out.

Trust me, you should move the levels one by one, there are lessons from this you can't ignore and you couldn't move ahead without.

You have enough time and obviously enough dedication, so don't force things through, one step at a time.

GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauletekis View Post
there won't be many WC matches that are going to be played at the same time of Wimby, but if I have to choose, WC will always come first by a long shot. Even if it's Argelia vs. South Korea.
no shit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B1S View Post
Both as long as they don't overlap, but when they do - it's world cup every time for me.
NID
latso is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #378
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
I will never be happy just doing that stuff, man. Trust me, I've tried it. First off, you can't get any coaching job unless you have some career in the first place. Second, commentary, writing, umpiring, all that other shit, I will never be happy doing that, I've done it. I've worked in tennis pro shops, I've worked giving lessons and shit, and I am beyond depressed while doing it. I can't just play tennis on the weekends, I will never be happy doing that.

Yes, I know it is risky to do things the way I am doing. Yes I know the odds are 1 billion trillion to 1 or whatever that I will succeed. But there is a chance, I'm sayin' there's a chance. If there is even a sniff of a chance of me making it, which there is, I can't NOT take it. If that means I end up sleeping in my car for a couple of years, if I lose all my friends, if I don't get married and start a family until well into my 30's, then so be it, that is my plan anyway.

I can't just be another average schmuck without at least giving it everything I have to this sport. If I quit now, I will always look back and wonder. I can't do that. Of course I've thought about it. Of course I've considered giving it up, getting a regular job, settling down with a nice girl, etc. etc., of course those things have crossed my mind, how could it not with my results so far?

But there is this thing inside of me, this fire, this voice telling me not to give up, not to give in, to keep going. Despite the financial straits I am in, despite my results being poor so far, despite suffering every injury under the sun almost between age 17-23. I could have quit millions of times, I could have given it up years ago.

But still I rise. Still I work, still I compete, still I have the passion to go out there every day and train, then go deliver pizzas 5 nights a week until 1 AM. It may sound like a shitty life to those on the outside, but it is your mentality. My mentality is that I AM going to make it, and that I have turned a corner recently and things are REALLY going to start happening now. Life is NOT easy when every rational person and thought is telling me to quit but my soul tells me to carry on.

There must be a reason why I have fought so long. There must be a reason I have suffered and fought through every injury I've had so far. There must be a reason why I have bought and read dozens of tennis books and biographies of all the tennis greats of the past, downloaded and watched tennis matches from the 60's to today. There must be a reason why I have researched the game from the fucking 1870's until today and read all the results and scores, with no prodding from anyone else. There must be a reason, and it must be more than just posting on MTF.

I still believe I will make it.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #379
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #380
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a regular diet or you or you indulge yourself in pizzas, calzones, icecreams etc?
do you do drugs/smoke?
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #381
country flag GhostUnholy

GhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond reputeGhostUnholy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've always felt you were one of the better posters on here and this post confirmed it. Your bolded part is especially true, and the biggest thing I want to avoid. I would not be able to live with myself, I would be tortured mentally with such a thought in the back of my mind.

If you don't mind, what was the reason you stopped recording and touring? Did you lose the passion for it at all?
It was multifactorial really, but definitely not a loss of passion. I had a deadline to make the decision to finish my degree or to leave and pursue music for the rest of my life and I chose the former. For one, touring is hard on the body, it's incredibly hard to stay healthy. It's hard to exercise, there's rarely a chance to cook anything, and there's a huge culture of drugs/alcohol. Secondly, I know I want to propose to my girlfriend soon and for that I knew I needed to be financially secure and settled (not travelling all the time). Music is also different from tennis in the sense you can keep playing at a high level even when you're old, so even if I won't be able to make a career out of it, it's not like I'll ever have to stop playing/writing/recording.

I kind of agree with what the others said about checkpoints. Its important to always have definitive endpoints for your short term goals and to always be reevaluating your progress.
GhostUnholy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #382
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
Do you have some checkpoints? For example, if two or three years later you're still not pro will you reconsider it then? Surely no need to wait you are actually 40 to know whether you can make it or no?
Well, at this point I am taking one day at a time, one tournament at a time. I am graduating college in May, so we will see where I am then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowManyTimes View Post
Johnny, it's great that you're not getting disheartened by the losses etc.

Perhaps a coach would help, although I know that's not easy given how much it would cost to get one. Is there not like Tennis training camps around your area where you could get coached for say a 6 week period ?
If only A one hour lesson with a coach costs as much as I make in an 8 hour shift

Again, I don't need coaching, I need to get 100% healthy and improve my serve, especially 2nd serve. I know what I need to do, I'm not paying somebody 50-100 USD per hour to tell me to bend my knees and toss the ball higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
This makes sense to me. By all means give yourself a period of time where you 100% commit to trying to make it happen, but if it's not happening for you after that time has elapsed, accept that and move on to other things.

Sometimes life is about achieving dreams and sometimes it's about letting dreams go and making your peace with that. Giving all you have to achieve a dream is admirable but these things are often out of your hands. Good luck, anyway.
Thanks scoobs, we gonna see what's going on the next few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoj View Post
Can You tell me what is your Training Schedule etc? What time you get up and how many hours you put in training and in Gym etc. Top players spend minimum 4 Hours in Physical Training i.e. apart from the Time spent on Court. I am guessing they spend around 14- 16 Hours dedicated to their Sport.
Well, I've got 2 jobs other than playing tennis at the moment. I'd love to be out there 4 hours a day, but it is not always possible. If I am working until 1 AM every night, asleep by 2, up by 10 (really need 10 hours, but whatever), on court from 12-3, then work until 1 AM. Gym wise, I don't really need to lift at the moment, I am strong enough, at the moment. I need more court time is what I need, just hitting millions of serves and back rehab. Those are my focuses now.

That is basically my schedule, and it is not enough. I need more sleep and more training and less work, but I need the money, so it is a big Rubik's Cube at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
My 2 cents here - play more tournaments where you are competitive, with guys your level or slightly above. It will give you much more than getting baggeled week in week out.

Trust me, you should move the levels one by one, there are lessons from this you can't ignore and you couldn't move ahead without.

You have enough time and obviously enough dedication, so don't force things through, one step at a time.

GL
Thanks latso.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
NID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Do you have a regular diet or you or you indulge yourself in pizzas, calzones, icecreams etc?
do you do drugs/smoke?
Is this even a question? Come on, man. My diet is strict as fuck. I count carbs, calories, proteins, what to eat, when to eat, etc.

My body is a science experiment at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostUnholy View Post
It was multifactorial really, but definitely not a loss of passion. I had a deadline to make the decision to finish my degree or to leave and pursue music for the rest of my life and I chose the former. For one, touring is hard on the body, it's incredibly hard to stay healthy. It's hard to exercise, there's rarely a chance to cook anything, and there's a huge culture of drugs/alcohol. Secondly, I know I want to propose to my girlfriend soon and for that I knew I needed to be financially secure and settled (not travelling all the time). Music is also different from tennis in the sense you can keep playing at a high level even when you're old, so even if I won't be able to make a career out of it, it's not like I'll ever have to stop playing/writing/recording.

I kind of agree with what the others said about checkpoints. Its important to always have definitive endpoints for your short term goals and to always be reevaluating your progress.
Thanks for the response, man. The biggest thing is probably you wanting to propose to your woman soon. Which is understandable, I have that desire also in the future. If I was in your shoes probably I would have done the same. But I'm single at the moment and don't plan on settling down for another decade or so.

Checkpoints, well we gonna see what's going on. There is no tournament this weekend, but then 3 in 3 straight weeks. I am working hard every single day, tennis and 2 jobs now, I'm gonna do everything I can, and we gonna see
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #383
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute

you should retire for your fans.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #384
country flag VamosHoracio

VamosHoracio has a reputation beyond reputeVamosHoracio has a reputation beyond reputeVamosHoracio has a reputation beyond reputeVamosHoracio has a reputation beyond reputeVamosHoracio has a reputation beyond reputeVamosHoracio has a reputation beyond reputeVamosHoracio has a reputation beyond reputeVamosHoracio has a reputation beyond reputeVamosHoracio has a reputation beyond reputeVamosHoracio has a reputation beyond reputeVamosHoracio has a reputation beyond repute

When is your next tournament? I found this thread yesterday and thinking about starting one for me if I play more tournaments, but I am younger.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #385
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
Getting an ATP ranking should be your primary goal right now, the rest will come in time and with practice. Just focus on winning a match on a Futures main draw. You can do it, Johnny.
And that is attainable. That's the ceiling for Johnny, a few futures wins here and there and a ranking in the 1-thousands. And Johnny, you should not be disheartened by that accomplishment. There are very good players even in future qualie draws and getting an ATP rank is no small accomplishment. If you can build yourself up to that level than that is a huge accomplishment, unfortunately that isn't nearly good enough to support yourself financially but it is good enough to get some clout to be a coach later on in life if you do decide to go the coaching route. And I agree coaching lessons kinda sucks, but college tennis or coaching competitive juniors is a different animal because there is the raw competitiveness there that can satisfy a competitive person.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #386
country flag Everko

Everko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond repute

any random pro in the top 2000 would beat you 6-0 6-0 without breaking a sweat. Luis Patino of Mexico ranked 1130? 6-0 6-0 with a heavy camping backpack on.

how are you going to compete with them?

about the Federer Will Fall thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raferminator
Best damn thread I've ever read on MTF. You should be awarded for being a visionary. Some of us out here noticed it and appreciated it.
Federer will fall
Murray will never win a slam
Federer will never beat Nadal again in a slam
Golubev will rise
Go Ouahab

Last edited by Everko : 10-09-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Everko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #387
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Any guy who one rep benches 50kg, or whatever it is, whilst being on a strict diet, is certainly not destined to become any kind of athlete.

You've always been kind of a nutter, much less now that you got outed about telling fibs on your Mcdonalds shoot-out stories and fathering babies etc but still, this is pretty funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
I knew I was going to regret, reading inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Weren't you just pestering another guy about his grammar, not so long ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
And your problem with my grammar is?
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #388
country flag Unforced Terror

Unforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I have no interest in being the next Thomas Drouet.

If I am good enough to be a hitting partner, I'm good enough to play on the tour.
I was referring to being a WTA hitting partner, but I see that you don't want to be out of the spotlight to the actual pro

Now- if you really want to get an ATP point, you're going to have to make some HUGE changes to your game. It's pretty fucking obvious you don't have the talent to do it, even considering you have great fitness and the passion of 5 Nadals. (Not your fault, you started playing at 15).

The only way for you to get anywhere is to play out of your comfort zone. The typical aggressive grinder is so common and there are thousands of people better at it than you. You need to be focusing on troubling your opponents game and picking out their weakness, instead of focusing on playing your own game. Develop a killer forehand slice, ballbash into the center of the court, moonball to an opponent’s forehand and charge the net. 3 underrated tactics.

Either that, or get a sex change. It’s expensive, but you might get into the top 200 that way

The only way something can have no consequences is if it has no effect. The only way something can have no effect is if it doesn't exist. It's completely paradoxical, therefore, to claim that something can exist and simultaneously have no effect.

People are not "free" to express an opinion. Instead, if they choose to express anything, they choose to pay the price. The price is the effect on others and the effect on the person. There is no free lunch in this world.
Unforced Terror is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #389
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforced Terror View Post

Either that, or get a sex change. It’s expensive, but you might get into the top 200 that way
now there's an idea!

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #390
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_here_grindin View Post
And that is attainable. That's the ceiling for Johnny, a few futures wins here and there and a ranking in the 1-thousands. And Johnny, you should not be disheartened by that accomplishment. There are very good players even in future qualie draws and getting an ATP rank is no small accomplishment. If you can build yourself up to that level than that is a huge accomplishment, unfortunately that isn't nearly good enough to support yourself financially but it is good enough to get some clout to be a coach later on in life if you do decide to go the coaching route. And I agree coaching lessons kinda sucks, but college tennis or coaching competitive juniors is a different animal because there is the raw competitiveness there that can satisfy a competitive person.
Realistically though even that's not even close to an attainable goal unless he is playing all futures in Burundi, Rwanda, etc. and draws some local wild card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cava View Post
OP is U.S. 4.0-4.5 level which is closer to beginner than it is to ATP #1000.

This is not even a delusional individual with big dreams. It's just a 2+ year troll attempt.

<runs back to the tennis only forums>
Yes. And it's quite an effective troll attempt.