Johnny Groove #6 seed in Fort Lauderdale this weekend - Page 246 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #3676
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Johnny Groove vs. Antonio T. Bugge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
I doesn't matter if he fails. He tried his best to achieve his dream. He'll have no regrets. His chance was 1 in 1000000000000000000 to begin with.
Others chicken out even if there's just 1/2 chances they'll fail and live to regret all their life being a coward.
Well, if several knowledgeable folks time and again said, for example, his serve is atrocious, after which comes comes Johnny to say "nothing is technically wrong" with his serve, then trying your best is kinda moot. If your dream is to break a wall, banging it with your head might not be the best approach, however much you're dedicated, you might need a better approach.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 11:19 PM   #3677
country flag Tiebreak100

Tiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Johnny Groove Tennis Career (Mid-Week Training)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
As it should have been all along.
Haha.

Accurate.
Tiebreak100 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:48 PM   #3678
country flag DartMarcus

DartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond repute

GSM Bugge 6-3 6-2. Thesis?

Brian Baker - Steve Johnson - Lleyton Hewitt - Robby Ginepri - Carlos Berlocq - Tommy Haas - Ivo Karlovic - Richard Gasquet - Kevin Anderson - David Ferrer - Michael Russell - Fabio Fognini - Michael Llodra - Oliver Rochus - Dustin Brown - Somdev Devvarman
DartMarcus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:55 PM   #3679
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Groove set up a paypal please

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:10 AM   #3680
country flag Cloren

Cloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
Johnny is an inspirational person. Seriously, there should be a movie about him.
No matter how bad the loss, no matter how many setbacks, he still finds the strength to keep going, takes positives from anything.
He makes me think of all the stuff I wanted so badly, but I never tried to get. I never believed in myself, I never thought I deserve anything good. I'm sure if I had his attitude I would have accomplished a lot more and I would have been a lot happier.

Keep going Johhny!
That's not always good actually, because look when something bad happens, you don't take positives from it, you look at the negatives and work hard to work on that negative thing that happened, or work hard/learn from your mistakes to make sure that doesn't happen again. and btw it's good that you have the mindset of believing in yourself, belief is very important but in Johnny Groove's case, does that matter if you don't take the right approach and work on your flaws? In his case he is just being delusional about it. I really completely disagree with you in thinking that Johnny Groove is an inspirational person, he is not, for me there is nothing to look up in him. People should be realistic with their aims, instead of being delusional.

Del Potro-Dimitrov-Ferrer-Wawrinka-Hewitt

Last edited by Cloren : 08-24-2014 at 12:23 AM.
Cloren is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:19 AM   #3681
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

So I get to the site and do my warmup.

I show up for the 1230 math on time, as usual. The guy is in the bathroom, or so the female who cheered him on said. She was GF? Wife? Friend? Family member? Not sure. I did not know it then, but this guy was the absolute gamesmanship king. Even before the match he is already delaying.

I get to the court and serve quite a few serves before he finally ambles his way over. I am on court waiting for him to start the warmup, but he is taking his damn sweet time to do everything. After the bathroom delay, he gets to the court, and takes off his right shoe. He puts on an ankle brace and laces back up. He does the same for the other shoe.

“You should have had that shit taken care of before the match,” I think to myself. But I convinced myself that I was going to be calm today. Buddhist monk, Zen Master like patience today. I will not let anger destroy my game or this clown’s gamesmanship.

After some delay, we finally start the warmup. We go at the net, volleys, overheads, serves. He wins the spin and chooses to serve. I go to get a drink of water, but he sits down. He starts unwrapping his grip and re-wrapping another one right before the match!

I facepalm inside. “No, no, Zen Master, Buddhist monk, Bjorn Borg today” I tell myself.

I end up serving some more while he re-gripped, and in my own bit of gamesmanship, switched sides. It all must have worked because I was able to time some good backhand returns and strike some forehands to get the break, 1-0!

“Good, good, good focus,” I tell myself. This guy is taking 5 minutes between every point I’m telling you. Point is over. He takes off his glasses, walks slowly to the towel, wipes his face, his arms, his glasses, puts the glasses back on, then walks slowly to fetch 2 balls, even slower back to serve, then goes through his whole serve routine and it is no joke 1-2 minutes between each point. “This is ridiculous” I tell myself, but again, Bjorn Borg. I stayed calm and got the break.

We switched sides and I served at 1-0. He is again taking tons of time, even on my serve. I missed a lot of 1st serves in that game with his nonsense. No DF, but he did end up breaking me back for 1-1.

“Can’t let his shit affect you” I tell myself.

Then he held to 30 for 2-1. It is clear in the rallies I am the aggressor. He is pushing, pushing his brains out. High moonballs to my backhand. But sometimes an occasional big serve. He is the big serve pusher.
At 1-2, I serve and I am able to make enough first serves and boss the points with the forehand to hold for 2-2. At 1-2, 30-30, there is the first controversy of the match. After a rally, he hits a drop shot. I race it down, get it just before it bounced twice, and win the cat and mouse volley exchange thereafter.

“Did you make it?” he asked, referring to the double bounce.

“Yes” I said. Defiant, confident. I know for a fact that I made that shot. I won the 40-30 point to hold for 2-2. At 2-2, first point, we have a rally, he hits a drop shot, but this one I am unable to run down. 0-15.
“Did you make it?” He calls out, clearly in reference to the previous game, and the most clear sign I have so far of how much if a prick this guy is.

“Jesus, what a prick this guy is” I think to myself. I don’t respond verbally to his shit, but I win the next 3 points. Then he serves at 15-40. I gotta take this shit. These break points are mine.

First one a big 2nd serve right on the back of the serve line, then a first serve out wide at 30-40 on both lines. My meek returns were put away by him on the 3rd shot. Just too good there, I tell myself. Guy hits 2 serves on the line, both lines to save BP, okay that’s too good. Ready for the next one.

He holds for 3-2. Even during the changeover he is using gamesmanship. 90 seconds it the time limit. This guy is changing shirt, changing wristbands, is snorting something in the wristbands, don’t even want to know, sniffling between points, he is the ultimate gamesmanshipman. I thought I took time between points. I thought I bent the rules. But this guy makes me look like a Boy Scout. I just KNOW there is going to be a line dispute in this match. I guarantee you. Seems like every single match I play has some drama and controversy, dodgy line calls, etc.

“Again, don’t worry about all of his antics” I tell myself. “Bjorn Borg, Buddhist monk, Zen Master.”
At 2-3, I served. We have some deuce, I have some GP, he has some BP, but eventually he breaks. Now he has 4-2. Zen Master, Bjorn Borg, I tell myself.

He holds to 30 for 5-2. He is doing all of his shit, and I am trying to cope with it, be quiet about it, but I am just getting played mentally right now. I did not train enough this week. 2-3 hours a day is not enough. I must change my work schedule to train 4-5 hours a day. There were so many shots today where I was there, had the advantage in the rally, but just felt undercooked. I felt as though I needed more practice. I was rusty. There were so many shots where I was just a split second late or a half step out of position and made the error or the short ball. I can’t help but think that my only 2-3 hours a day are to blame for it. Had I trained 4-5 hours a day no way in hell I wouldn’t make that ball, and then do something with it.

At 2-5, I served, and he broke me for 6-2. This Zen Master Bjorn Borg shit ain’t workin’.

Early in the second, he holds for 1-0, I hold for 1-1, he holds for 2-1. Then he breaks me for 3-1. I can’t believe what is happening out here. On the 1-2 ad out point, I served, we had a rally, and I missed a regulation forehand. The ball was a bad bounce on the clay and I could not adjust to it in time. I wasn’t sharp enough there. Could not get it done.

So now he has 6-2, 3-1, and it seems as though he is going to finish the match in short order. No, no, no, no. Right after losing the game to go 1-3 down, I do a little drop and hit with the ball, mimicking the motion needed to make the ball the point before. To get over it. To prove to myself I can make that shot. And I got ready for the next game to return.

But apparently, the drop and hit that I performed ended up nearly hitting him.

“HEY!” He yells out. I continue walking to return serve.

“HEY I’M TALKIN’ TO YOU, BUDDY!” he yelled out to me. “You almost hit me!” he said, about the ball.

“No, I missed” was my response. I tried to restrain myself, though it was becoming increasingly difficult.

“Is it because you double faulted over there?” He mentions a DF I hit in the 1-2 game, when I had an ad in, that I thought was in but he called it out, I went over to argue it with him, but he insists. I am almost sure that serve was in. I get into position to return serve, and again, I kept quiet.

“Can I just ask you? Was it because of that double fault over there? It was out, I’m tellin’ ya.”

Again I am in the return position, saying nothing, ready for play, simply not allowing this piece of shit to throw me off my game.

“You wouldn’t have such a guilty conscience if that ball was really out” I thought to myself. I am literally this close to fucking exploding. Fuck this Zen Master shit. All it did was get me down 2-6, 1-3. Now it is time to get mad. I fucking played a perfect game there and broke his punk ass to love!

“YES! COME ON! STAY IN THIS SHIT” I bellow. Zen Master is gone, and I’m glad as I changed over. Don’t be something you are not. If you are not Bjorn Borg, stop trying to be. You are a player that thrives on energy, that thrives on the battle. You were entirely too laissez-faire in the first 2-6, 1-3. In that game you played angry for the break, I coach myself in my head. Be who you are.

I switch sides for the return game but this time he is taking SOOOOOO fucking long to get up and get on with it, I just had to say something.

“Yo, come on man, you’re taking 5 fucking minutes for every changeover!” I yelled.

“FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!” He said, giving me an angry middle finger in the process.

“You are such a fucking punk ass bitch” I said to him. “With all your shit.”

“Oh, yeah, and you’re little half volley backhand ha!” was his retort. The fuck is this, middle school? And my backhand is great, fuck him.

The next game, I served at 2-3. First point, long rally won by me after forcing the error when I timed a half volley backhand on the rise. 15-0.

“vaMOS!” I yell to myself.

Next point, another long rally, I win the point.

“vaMOS!” I again yell to myself. I hold to 15 in that game.

Now he serves at 3-3. This game was so crucial, I had I think 2-3 break points, but every single time he came up with a clutch first serve and I was unable to take the advantage. He holds after what feels like 5-6-7 or so deuces.

I serve at 3-4. I really needed to hold in that game. Every single call is close. Well, every one of my shots are called close. I question a call, but after an investigation, I see it is out. Back to deuce. A few more ad ins and outs, and he calls another ball out. I think I hit the line to hold for 4-4, but he calls it wide. I go over to investigate, and I am unsatisfied.

“I don’t see a mark” I say. That means it is on the line.

“That means it’s on the line,” I say.

“No, no, it is back here,” he says, pointing to a mark much deeper in the court.

“No way man, are you serious? It is right here,” I indicate a mark much shorter angle, where I aimed on purpose, right on the line.

“Are you kidding me?” he says. “The mark is right here! I’m telling you! I’m not trying to screw you over!”
The last person who told me they weren’t trying to screw me over was a cop when I was 21 and he he did was screw me over. No way every single one of these calls are out, and there is no way he has such a guilty conscience over these kinds of things. I reluctantly accept it. Deuce again.

I miss the 1st serve. 2nd serve, I hit right on the back of the line, it skids on the clay, into his backhand returns, and he shanks the return. Vamos, Ad in, now time to hold. Great 2nd serve, I tell myself.

“It’s out,” he says.

“Oh my God, this is a joke now!” I say, jogging to the net in disbelief at what this guy is cooking up.
“There it is, right there,” I say, pointing to a mark right where I hit it, where it skidded off the line low and caused his BH return to shank and not make the court.

“No, no, it is this one,” he points to a mark, long, that would have made him play a forehand.

“There is no way in hell that’s the mark, dude. It went into your backhand! You missed the shot, the evidence is right there!” I say, gesturing towards the mark I circle. This is becoming a circus now.

“You wanna get the referee? Go get the referee,” he challenged.

My biggest mistake was right there. I should have just said. “Ad in, my serve” and went to serve into the ad court. And if he refused to play, just serve a ball with him not there, and hit the balls over to him for 4-4. That is what I must do next time. Make HIM go to get the referee. Who by the way is a 70something guy who is always at these tournament and is a hater of me and always tries to screw me over. Whether it comes to scheduling, line disputes, whether or not to play a full third set or a 10 point TB (the last one especially), I have had run-ins with this referee before.

But I didn’t. I walked over the tournament desk.

“Francis, this guy is cheating me on every line call, do you know where the referee is at?” I say as I get to the desk. Francis runs all these events. He gets on the walkie-talkie.

“Hey what court are you on?” He says to the referee.

“Court 6” he radios back.

“What court are you on?” he asks me.

“Court 23,” I say. Jesus. That’s all the way on the other side of the complex, I think. It will take him ages to get there. Francis is thinking the same and calls the kids sweeping the courts in the golf cart to give him a ride to court 23! Remember when I said this whole thing was a circus? Well it may be, but it is one that I intend to win.

So I get back to court 23, finally after some time, the referee comes over. I explain to him the situation.

“I’m serving 3-4, Deuce, 2nd serve, I hit a 2nd serve right on the line, it skids, his backhand return shanked out of play,” I explain to him.

“The ball is right here,” the other guy says to the ref.

“He stepped on it,” he said. When I went over to that side and circled the mark where I had hit the ball, he replied that I had stepped on the real mark, which in reality was a mark from before. There is no depths that this guy won’t stoop to.

“Yeah I stepped on your bullshit mark when I pointed out the real mark,” I reply.

“Wait a minute, you stepped on it? That means its good,” the referee replied.

“That wasn’t even the mark! He hit it with his backhand! That ball would have him hit with his forehand!” I can’t believe this guy is going to get away with ANOTHER line call. Unbelievable.

I go back, reluctant to argue any further. I cannot win vs. those two. I fucking knew that referee would find some little shit to screw me over. He’s always had it out for me. Well fuck them both.

At 3-4, Ad out now, 15 minutes or so since last point played, I save virtual MP with quality 2nd serve and forehand attack. Few more deuce, but unfortunately, eventually, he breaks me. Just a step slow, a split second out of position here and there at that was it.

He served at 5-3, held to 30. GSM Bugge def. Morgan, 6-2, 6-3 in 2h35. We started 1230, ended 305. So 2h35 for a 6-2, 6-3, you can tell how much time wasting he was doing.

I shook his hand, wished him luck through gritted teeth, and went to recover for the consolation match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyEng View Post
Groove set up a paypal please
I have already. What's yours? Hit me up
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:21 AM   #3682
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Ad in, my serve” and went to serve into the ad court. And if he refused to play, just serve a ball with him not there, and hit the balls over to him for 4-4.
This is really not what you should do. No way in hell would he accept it, and it is his call. Even if you got the ref, they'd say to accept that call.

He does sound awful though

Robredo, Matosevic, Estrella, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez, Thiem
emotion is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:06 AM   #3683
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

After eating, hydrating, and stretching out, I am ready for my consolation match, played about an hour after my first match finished.

Whereas the other guy played entirely too slow, this guy played very quickly. Almost to the point where he would be quick serving me, halfway into his motion before I am set on return. In this case, I like to hold the ball until I get into the return position, the hit it over to him. As the ball is traveling in the air, I have time to get set and then he serves and I am ready. If you give him the ball then go back to return, he is going to get you every time.

He serves in the first game. He has a big serve, he is much taller, this guy is better than the guy I played in the first round. He holds to 30. 2nd game, I hold to 30. The rallies are much shorter in this match, very quick fire and miss, he is making lots of winners and errors. I too am trying to be aggressive. He continues to serve into my backhand. I try to back up to return, no success. Only when I stepped in to return, even on first serves, did I get into more rallies. I break him for 2-1.

Yes, I can win this, I say to myself on the changeover. At 2-1, he breaks me back. At 2-2, he serves, saves several break points, then holds for 3-2. At 2-3, I served, several deuce game, but he breaks 4-2, then holds a tough game for 5-2. My left heel is in serious pain, an old injury from March 2010. I hit a serve, landed on the left foot, and it buckled. Every morning I wake up with big pain in the heel. Will be my focus this coming week. As I rock back and forth for the serve, the pain is real. Moving, my baseline movement is compromised. He breaks for 6-2, holds for 7-2, and breaks again for 8-2. I did what I could do. I shook his hand, wished him luck with sincerity this time and left.

The guy I lost to in the first round was playing his 2nd match right beside my court. As I walked back to give the result, I said to his opponent: “Keep your focus, this guy is gonna try every trick in the book.”
The other guy laughs, probably since he had already been dealing with some of it already and says thanks. He wins 6-3, 6-3.

As for me, I walked back to the tourney desk, gave Francis my score, shook his hand and stretched, hydrated and got ready to head out. I checked some other results, and as I was about to walk out, I saw the referee looking at me, with a look of glee on his face, as if he was happy that I had lost twice. Actually, he WAS happy, that’s why he was smiling! I glanced and then glanced away. I looked again and he is still staring at me, smiling like a Cheshire cat.

“Fuck this guy,” I think to myself.

I get up, head held high, chest puffed out, and limp my way out to the parking lot. I see his smile go away and he looks away as I walk by, not expecting me to be so proud following such defeats. Onto the next week.
Now I am switching up my schedule. Last week, I was able only to manage 14 hours on the court. 2 hours Monday, 3 hours Tue, 3 hours Wed, 3 hours Thu, 3 hours Fri. Meanwhile, I worked 30 hours at Dominos. This ratio is simply not a recipe for success. Now I am thinking:

Tomorrow, Sunday- Day off from tennis, Dominos 5-1
Monday, sleep by 3 AM, up at 11, tennis 1-4, dominos 5-11 (2 less hours)
Tuesday, sleep by 1 AM, up at 9, tennis 11-4, dominos 5-11
Wednesday, sleep by 1 am, up at 9, tennis 11-4, dominos 5-11
Thu, sleep by 1 am, up at 9, tennis 11-4, dominos 5-11
Fri, sleep by 1 am, up at 9, tennis 11-3, sleep early: with this schedule, I’ve got an extra 8 hours on the court during the week. I think the extra 8 hours, and actually could be 10 hours if I start only going until 11 on Sunday’s, and probably I can get out at 10 on Monday to that’s an extra 10 hours on court next week as compared to this week, which will certainly help me to get into better shape and be more confident of myself out there.

Gotta get this heel healed also. We gonna see.

Quote:
Old 08-24-2014, 01:18 AM   #3684
country flag Illusive Man

Illusive Man has a reputation beyond reputeIllusive Man has a reputation beyond reputeIllusive Man has a reputation beyond reputeIllusive Man has a reputation beyond reputeIllusive Man has a reputation beyond reputeIllusive Man has a reputation beyond reputeIllusive Man has a reputation beyond reputeIllusive Man has a reputation beyond reputeIllusive Man has a reputation beyond reputeIllusive Man has a reputation beyond reputeIllusive Man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Johnny Groove 2-6, 3-6, vs. Antonio T. Bugge (Big drama as usual)

Quote:
Who by the way is a 70something guy who is always at these tournament and is a hater of me and always tries to screw me over.
On an unrelated note, what exactly is MountainDewSlave's job?

At any rate, sounds like a piece of work.

Tier 1: Fish, Kuznetsov, Donskoy, Kyrgios, Vesely, Thiem, Coric

Tier 2: All other young players (We need a new generation of players!)

Tier 3: Carreno, Pella, Struff, Janowicz, Goffin
Illusive Man is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:29 AM   #3685
country flag Police Of Mind

Police Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond repute

Groove mate, how do you feel knowing you were one match away from playing a US Open qualifier back at Savannah?

There's hope yet.

Get back in that pizza stained saddle.
Police Of Mind is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:44 AM   #3686
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

dullslaves job is a professional moaner.

probs the one that writes into the local paper each week for things such as a bird dropping falling on her 3 wheeler car

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:48 AM   #3687
country flag Mr. Oracle

Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute

You internalize a lot of negative emotions. You see a guy using gamesmanship out there and doping in front of you but you don't say anything. Need to be outgoing like McEnroe out there. I'd bet your insides are a toxic brew of stress hormones like cortisol. That shit gonna do you in brah if you don't vent.

Whether you're playing 10 year old girls, seniors, or drug users, you should be using gamesmanship to get an edge.

That's the last piece of the puzzle that you're looking for.

Now go see...

Because, Djokovic, Murray, and Nadal certainly win Roger?

Even David Ferrer? (Roger 14 - 0 David)

Or, Roger loses even before QF? lol

argument.

Last edited by Mr. Oracle : 08-24-2014 at 02:50 AM.
Mr. Oracle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:54 AM   #3688
country flag QuitYerWhining

QuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond repute

Johnny, I know it's a long shot, but please listen to me for a moment and consider this:

This thread has become a joke and a caricature. You don't need more practice, you don't need to heal, and you certainly don't need a coach. You need a psychologist, probably something along the lines of logotherapy, so you can find some meaning in your life outside of tennis, and outside of this delusional fantasy of making it as a pro.

Please go see a shrink. Put your Domino's money to some good use.

Currently supporting whoever entertains me.
QuitYerWhining is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:55 AM   #3689
Future ATP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotion View Post
This is really not what you should do. No way in hell would he accept it, and it is his call. Even if you got the ref, they'd say to accept that call.

He does sound awful though
My God he was the worst

Quote:

Just a joke, the worst I've ever encountered so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Police Of Mind View Post
Groove mate, how do you feel knowing you were one match away from playing a US Open qualifier back at Savannah?

There's hope yet.

Get back in that pizza stained saddle.
Yes I saw Nishioka qualified, he is good, this Yoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
You internalize a lot of negative emotions. You see a guy using gamesmanship out there and doping in front of you but you don't say anything. Need to be outgoing like McEnroe out there. I'd bet your insides are a toxic brew of stress hormones like cortisol. That shit gonna do you in brah if you don't vent.

Whether you're playing 10 year old girls, seniors, or drug users, you should be using gamesmanship to get an edge.

That's the last piece of the puzzle that you're looking for.

Now go see...
I was reduced to fistpumping vs. a 10 year old girl the other day just to split sets

I was trying to be Borg out there today, you know, just say nothing. And what did it do? It got me down 2-6, 1-3. After I stopped that shit and did my usual stuff, I was able to come back a bit, but not enough.

I should have called him out on his shit much earlier in the match

Quote:

Last edited by Johnny Groove : 08-24-2014 at 03:04 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:32 AM   #3690
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
So I get to the site and do my warmup.

I show up for the 1230 math on time, as usual. The guy is in the bathroom, or so the female who cheered him on said. She was GF? Wife? Friend? Family member? Not sure. I did not know it then, but this guy was the absolute gamesmanship king. Even before the match he is already delaying.

I get to the court and serve quite a few serves before he finally ambles his way over. I am on court waiting for him to start the warmup, but he is taking his damn sweet time to do everything. After the bathroom delay, he gets to the court, and takes off his right shoe. He puts on an ankle brace and laces back up. He does the same for the other shoe.

“You should have had that shit taken care of before the match,” I think to myself. But I convinced myself that I was going to be calm today. Buddhist monk, Zen Master like patience today. I will not let anger destroy my game or this clown’s gamesmanship.

After some delay, we finally start the warmup. We go at the net, volleys, overheads, serves. He wins the spin and chooses to serve. I go to get a drink of water, but he sits down. He starts unwrapping his grip and re-wrapping another one right before the match!

I facepalm inside. “No, no, Zen Master, Buddhist monk, Bjorn Borg today” I tell myself.

I end up serving some more while he re-gripped, and in my own bit of gamesmanship, switched sides. It all must have worked because I was able to time some good backhand returns and strike some forehands to get the break, 1-0!

“Good, good, good focus,” I tell myself. This guy is taking 5 minutes between every point I’m telling you. Point is over. He takes off his glasses, walks slowly to the towel, wipes his face, his arms, his glasses, puts the glasses back on, then walks slowly to fetch 2 balls, even slower back to serve, then goes through his whole serve routine and it is no joke 1-2 minutes between each point. “This is ridiculous” I tell myself, but again, Bjorn Borg. I stayed calm and got the break.

We switched sides and I served at 1-0. He is again taking tons of time, even on my serve. I missed a lot of 1st serves in that game with his nonsense. No DF, but he did end up breaking me back for 1-1.

“Can’t let his shit affect you” I tell myself.

Then he held to 30 for 2-1. It is clear in the rallies I am the aggressor. He is pushing, pushing his brains out. High moonballs to my backhand. But sometimes an occasional big serve. He is the big serve pusher.
At 1-2, I serve and I am able to make enough first serves and boss the points with the forehand to hold for 2-2. At 1-2, 30-30, there is the first controversy of the match. After a rally, he hits a drop shot. I race it down, get it just before it bounced twice, and win the cat and mouse volley exchange thereafter.

“Did you make it?” he asked, referring to the double bounce.

“Yes” I said. Defiant, confident. I know for a fact that I made that shot. I won the 40-30 point to hold for 2-2. At 2-2, first point, we have a rally, he hits a drop shot, but this one I am unable to run down. 0-15.
“Did you make it?” He calls out, clearly in reference to the previous game, and the most clear sign I have so far of how much if a prick this guy is.

“Jesus, what a prick this guy is” I think to myself. I don’t respond verbally to his shit, but I win the next 3 points. Then he serves at 15-40. I gotta take this shit. These break points are mine.

First one a big 2nd serve right on the back of the serve line, then a first serve out wide at 30-40 on both lines. My meek returns were put away by him on the 3rd shot. Just too good there, I tell myself. Guy hits 2 serves on the line, both lines to save BP, okay that’s too good. Ready for the next one.

He holds for 3-2. Even during the changeover he is using gamesmanship. 90 seconds it the time limit. This guy is changing shirt, changing wristbands, is snorting something in the wristbands, don’t even want to know, sniffling between points, he is the ultimate gamesmanshipman. I thought I took time between points. I thought I bent the rules. But this guy makes me look like a Boy Scout. I just KNOW there is going to be a line dispute in this match. I guarantee you. Seems like every single match I play has some drama and controversy, dodgy line calls, etc.

“Again, don’t worry about all of his antics” I tell myself. “Bjorn Borg, Buddhist monk, Zen Master.”
At 2-3, I served. We have some deuce, I have some GP, he has some BP, but eventually he breaks. Now he has 4-2. Zen Master, Bjorn Borg, I tell myself.

He holds to 30 for 5-2. He is doing all of his shit, and I am trying to cope with it, be quiet about it, but I am just getting played mentally right now. I did not train enough this week. 2-3 hours a day is not enough. I must change my work schedule to train 4-5 hours a day. There were so many shots today where I was there, had the advantage in the rally, but just felt undercooked. I felt as though I needed more practice. I was rusty. There were so many shots where I was just a split second late or a half step out of position and made the error or the short ball. I can’t help but think that my only 2-3 hours a day are to blame for it. Had I trained 4-5 hours a day no way in hell I wouldn’t make that ball, and then do something with it.

At 2-5, I served, and he broke me for 6-2. This Zen Master Bjorn Borg shit ain’t workin’.

Early in the second, he holds for 1-0, I hold for 1-1, he holds for 2-1. Then he breaks me for 3-1. I can’t believe what is happening out here. On the 1-2 ad out point, I served, we had a rally, and I missed a regulation forehand. The ball was a bad bounce on the clay and I could not adjust to it in time. I wasn’t sharp enough there. Could not get it done.

So now he has 6-2, 3-1, and it seems as though he is going to finish the match in short order. No, no, no, no. Right after losing the game to go 1-3 down, I do a little drop and hit with the ball, mimicking the motion needed to make the ball the point before. To get over it. To prove to myself I can make that shot. And I got ready for the next game to return.

But apparently, the drop and hit that I performed ended up nearly hitting him.

“HEY!” He yells out. I continue walking to return serve.

“HEY I’M TALKIN’ TO YOU, BUDDY!” he yelled out to me. “You almost hit me!” he said, about the ball.

“No, I missed” was my response. I tried to restrain myself, though it was becoming increasingly difficult.

“Is it because you double faulted over there?” He mentions a DF I hit in the 1-2 game, when I had an ad in, that I thought was in but he called it out, I went over to argue it with him, but he insists. I am almost sure that serve was in. I get into position to return serve, and again, I kept quiet.

“Can I just ask you? Was it because of that double fault over there? It was out, I’m tellin’ ya.”

Again I am in the return position, saying nothing, ready for play, simply not allowing this piece of shit to throw me off my game.

“You wouldn’t have such a guilty conscience if that ball was really out” I thought to myself. I am literally this close to fucking exploding. Fuck this Zen Master shit. All it did was get me down 2-6, 1-3. Now it is time to get mad. I fucking played a perfect game there and broke his punk ass to love!

“YES! COME ON! STAY IN THIS SHIT” I bellow. Zen Master is gone, and I’m glad as I changed over. Don’t be something you are not. If you are not Bjorn Borg, stop trying to be. You are a player that thrives on energy, that thrives on the battle. You were entirely too laissez-faire in the first 2-6, 1-3. In that game you played angry for the break, I coach myself in my head. Be who you are.

I switch sides for the return game but this time he is taking SOOOOOO fucking long to get up and get on with it, I just had to say something.

“Yo, come on man, you’re taking 5 fucking minutes for every changeover!” I yelled.

“FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!” He said, giving me an angry middle finger in the process.

“You are such a fucking punk ass bitch” I said to him. “With all your shit.”

“Oh, yeah, and you’re little half volley backhand ha!” was his retort. The fuck is this, middle school? And my backhand is great, fuck him.

The next game, I served at 2-3. First point, long rally won by me after forcing the error when I timed a half volley backhand on the rise. 15-0.

“vaMOS!” I yell to myself.

Next point, another long rally, I win the point.

“vaMOS!” I again yell to myself. I hold to 15 in that game.

Now he serves at 3-3. This game was so crucial, I had I think 2-3 break points, but every single time he came up with a clutch first serve and I was unable to take the advantage. He holds after what feels like 5-6-7 or so deuces.

I serve at 3-4. I really needed to hold in that game. Every single call is close. Well, every one of my shots are called close. I question a call, but after an investigation, I see it is out. Back to deuce. A few more ad ins and outs, and he calls another ball out. I think I hit the line to hold for 4-4, but he calls it wide. I go over to investigate, and I am unsatisfied.

“I don’t see a mark” I say. That means it is on the line.

“That means it’s on the line,” I say.

“No, no, it is back here,” he says, pointing to a mark much deeper in the court.

“No way man, are you serious? It is right here,” I indicate a mark much shorter angle, where I aimed on purpose, right on the line.

“Are you kidding me?” he says. “The mark is right here! I’m telling you! I’m not trying to screw you over!”
The last person who told me they weren’t trying to screw me over was a cop when I was 21 and he he did was screw me over. No way every single one of these calls are out, and there is no way he has such a guilty conscience over these kinds of things. I reluctantly accept it. Deuce again.

I miss the 1st serve. 2nd serve, I hit right on the back of the line, it skids on the clay, into his backhand returns, and he shanks the return. Vamos, Ad in, now time to hold. Great 2nd serve, I tell myself.

“It’s out,” he says.

“Oh my God, this is a joke now!” I say, jogging to the net in disbelief at what this guy is cooking up.
“There it is, right there,” I say, pointing to a mark right where I hit it, where it skidded off the line low and caused his BH return to shank and not make the court.

“No, no, it is this one,” he points to a mark, long, that would have made him play a forehand.

“There is no way in hell that’s the mark, dude. It went into your backhand! You missed the shot, the evidence is right there!” I say, gesturing towards the mark I circle. This is becoming a circus now.

“You wanna get the referee? Go get the referee,” he challenged.

My biggest mistake was right there. I should have just said. “Ad in, my serve” and went to serve into the ad court. And if he refused to play, just serve a ball with him not there, and hit the balls over to him for 4-4. That is what I must do next time. Make HIM go to get the referee. Who by the way is a 70something guy who is always at these tournament and is a hater of me and always tries to screw me over. Whether it comes to scheduling, line disputes, whether or not to play a full third set or a 10 point TB (the last one especially), I have had run-ins with this referee before.

But I didn’t. I walked over the tournament desk.

“Francis, this guy is cheating me on every line call, do you know where the referee is at?” I say as I get to the desk. Francis runs all these events. He gets on the walkie-talkie.

“Hey what court are you on?” He says to the referee.

“Court 6” he radios back.

“What court are you on?” he asks me.

“Court 23,” I say. Jesus. That’s all the way on the other side of the complex, I think. It will take him ages to get there. Francis is thinking the same and calls the kids sweeping the courts in the golf cart to give him a ride to court 23! Remember when I said this whole thing was a circus? Well it may be, but it is one that I intend to win.

So I get back to court 23, finally after some time, the referee comes over. I explain to him the situation.

“I’m serving 3-4, Deuce, 2nd serve, I hit a 2nd serve right on the line, it skids, his backhand return shanked out of play,” I explain to him.

“The ball is right here,” the other guy says to the ref.

“He stepped on it,” he said. When I went over to that side and circled the mark where I had hit the ball, he replied that I had stepped on the real mark, which in reality was a mark from before. There is no depths that this guy won’t stoop to.

“Yeah I stepped on your bullshit mark when I pointed out the real mark,” I reply.

“Wait a minute, you stepped on it? That means its good,” the referee replied.

“That wasn’t even the mark! He hit it with his backhand! That ball would have him hit with his forehand!” I can’t believe this guy is going to get away with ANOTHER line call. Unbelievable.

I go back, reluctant to argue any further. I cannot win vs. those two. I fucking knew that referee would find some little shit to screw me over. He’s always had it out for me. Well fuck them both.

At 3-4, Ad out now, 15 minutes or so since last point played, I save virtual MP with quality 2nd serve and forehand attack. Few more deuce, but unfortunately, eventually, he breaks me. Just a step slow, a split second out of position here and there at that was it.

He served at 5-3, held to 30. GSM Bugge def. Morgan, 6-2, 6-3 in 2h35. We started 1230, ended 305. So 2h35 for a 6-2, 6-3, you can tell how much time wasting he was doing.

I shook his hand, wished him luck through gritted teeth, and went to recover for the consolation match.

I have already. What's yours? Hit me up
far too bad at tennis, negative, started late, likes eating lots of pizza, delusional, etc. etc. etc. to have a career in this sport, this Johnathon Morgon

but you're a really good writer. I don't know about the acting career (that is probably stretching it in terms of realism once again), but if you move to Hollywood you should try to write. script writing is no joke, you might dig it and you're a very good at telling even the most dull match results in interesting ways. people will pay a lot for someone who can throw some new paint and a fender on an old overdone story

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote