Johnny Groove #6 seed in Fort Lauderdale this weekend - Page 24 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #346
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Johnny Groove 1-6, 4-6 vs. Marc Yurgenson (ITF #2,223)

Getting an ATP ranking should be your primary goal right now, the rest will come in time and with practice. Just focus on winning a match on a Futures main draw. You can do it, Johnny.
Slasher1985 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #347
country flag Chris Kuerten

Chris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
Getting an ATP ranking should be your primary goal right now, the rest will come in time and with practice. Just focus on winning a match on a Futures main draw. You can do it, Johnny.
He can't, though.

I'm pro-dreams and anti-delusion, I just want to see my sweet Johnny channel his big heart towards a goal that's actually achievable
Ruben Ramirez was in a hotel in Rio Preto Brasil last year when his doubles partner Ferreiro decided to go see the night in the city. He opened his arms widely and said: que pasa man? we have match tomorrow.

Legend.
Quote:
“Some players say to me, ‘Why are you still playing?’ ” Ramirez Hidalgo said. “I still play because tennis is my life. Tennis gives me everything, more than I dreamed when I was young.”
Chris Kuerten is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #348
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Should definitely think about coaching, if you are struggling at 4.5 and you are 23 yrs old, that looks bleak, on the other hand maybe you could really make a career out of coaching. OI 2016 only if you buy a ticket
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #349
country flag Shinoj
Banned!

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly think that those who talk too much are really not good into their Art. Instead of being an MTF Hero, why dont you go and actually talk to Coaches and Players and work on your Game.

I have seen Many Big Mouths and Big talkers lose their way. Watch it Johnny.
Shinoj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #350
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
In case you are American i would recommend re-defining your goals a bit, cause on the s.m.a.r.t. scale of making goals and plans there is the A, which means "achievable", while the 2016 OGs are not. At all.

If by 2016 you are in the top 600 you should consider it a miracle.

Focus on finding sponsors, or you have no chance for anything, playing and training part time.

You got beaten by a guy who got double baggeled in nexxt round, who's victor took 3 games in his respective next round, so winning games and feeling competitive being an obvious improvement for you, it still is far from winning matches against the worst guys and even further than winning against the better ones. At this level.

So the OGs you should rather target 2020 imho.

Most of us would love it if you manage too do smth, but keep calm and do the humbalito
Well, we gonna see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo Kuerten View Post
He can't, though.

I'm pro-dreams and anti-delusion, I just want to see my sweet Johnny channel his big heart towards a goal that's actually achievable
Well, we gonna see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
Should definitely think about coaching, if you are struggling at 4.5 and you are 23 yrs old, that looks bleak, on the other hand maybe you could really make a career out of coaching. OI 2016 only if you buy a ticket
Age means dick, mate. I didn't start playing until almost 15, and I plan to play until almost 40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoj View Post
I honestly think that those who talk too much are really not good into their Art. Instead of being an MTF Hero, why dont you go and actually talk to Coaches and Players and work on your Game.

I have seen Many Big Mouths and Big talkers lose their way. Watch it Johnny.
Well, we gonna see.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #351
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Age means dick, mate. I didn't start playing until almost 15, and I plan to play until almost 40.
Yea, because there are so many guys playing into their 40s right?
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #352
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
Yea, because there are so many guys playing into their 40s right?
Well, we gonna see what's going on.

Only time will tell.

Quote:
Old 10-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #353
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Johnny, whilst I don't think you have any chance of making the Rio Olympics, I admire how you never give up even though you lose a lot of matches.

Thing is playing Tennis is fun and that, but really are you going to make so much money from doing this at such a low level aged 23, when there's guys your age top 20 in the world?

I just think you need to re-evaluate your situation a bit more. Putting your effort into this Tennis might seem all well and good to you now, but what if you hit age 40 and have ended up succeeding nothing, earned fuck all money, and still live with your parents/in a shitty appartment.

I'm not saying step away from Tennis completely, but please try and broaden your skill set so you don't just do one thing that will make your employability chances crap... You're 23 man this is the age people want to settle down and get full time jobs, and just focussing on Tennis all the time at this age when you're not a high level is risky to say the least.

It is clear you are an intelligent guy, why waste you're intelligence pursuing such targets that are going to be almost impossible for you to achieve? How about you use your intelligence in another field within Tennis? Commentating, writing, coaching, umpiring, etc? You know, something that pays well, keeps you occupied 5 days a week, 9-5. And then what do you do after or before work? Play Tennis (unless you coach obviously where you can play more). What do you do on weekends? Play Tennis. You see you don't have to keep pushing yourself to get to levels that are way out of your reach. Why not play tournaments for your level, or just above your level? That way you will win more matches and feel more sense of achievement than you would when playing these guys way above your level.

Just think about things carefully bro and best of luck.

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #354
Future ATP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowManyTimes View Post
Johnny, whilst I don't think you have any chance of making the Rio Olympics, I admire how you never give up even though you lose a lot of matches.

Thing is playing Tennis is fun and that, but really are you going to make so much money from doing this at such a low level aged 23, when there's guys your age top 20 in the world?

I just think you need to re-evaluate your situation a bit more. Putting your effort into this Tennis might seem all well and good to you now, but what if you hit age 40 and have ended up succeeding nothing, earned fuck all money, and still live with your parents/in a shitty appartment.

I'm not saying step away from Tennis completely, but please try and broaden your skill set so you don't just do one thing that will make your employability chances crap... You're 23 man this is the age people want to settle down and get full time jobs, and just focussing on Tennis all the time at this age when you're not a high level is risky to say the least.

It is clear you are an intelligent guy, why waste you're intelligence pursuing such targets that are going to be almost impossible for you to achieve? How about you use your intelligence in another field within Tennis? Commentating, writing, coaching, umpiring, etc? You know, something that pays well, keeps you occupied 5 days a week, 9-5. And then what do you do after or before work? Play Tennis (unless you coach obviously where you can play more). What do you do on weekends? Play Tennis. You see you don't have to keep pushing yourself to get to levels that are way out of your reach. Why not play tournaments for your level, or just above your level? That way you will win more matches and feel more sense of achievement than you would when playing these guys way above your level.

Just think about things carefully bro and best of luck.
I will never be happy just doing that stuff, man. Trust me, I've tried it. First off, you can't get any coaching job unless you have some career in the first place. Second, commentary, writing, umpiring, all that other shit, I will never be happy doing that, I've done it. I've worked in tennis pro shops, I've worked giving lessons and shit, and I am beyond depressed while doing it. I can't just play tennis on the weekends, I will never be happy doing that.

Yes, I know it is risky to do things the way I am doing. Yes I know the odds are 1 billion trillion to 1 or whatever that I will succeed. But there is a chance, I'm sayin' there's a chance. If there is even a sniff of a chance of me making it, which there is, I can't NOT take it. If that means I end up sleeping in my car for a couple of years, if I lose all my friends, if I don't get married and start a family until well into my 30's, then so be it, that is my plan anyway.

I can't just be another average schmuck without at least giving it everything I have to this sport. If I quit now, I will always look back and wonder. I can't do that. Of course I've thought about it. Of course I've considered giving it up, getting a regular job, settling down with a nice girl, etc. etc., of course those things have crossed my mind, how could it not with my results so far?

But there is this thing inside of me, this fire, this voice telling me not to give up, not to give in, to keep going. Despite the financial straits I am in, despite my results being poor so far, despite suffering every injury under the sun almost between age 17-23. I could have quit millions of times, I could have given it up years ago.

But still I rise. Still I work, still I compete, still I have the passion to go out there every day and train, then go deliver pizzas 5 nights a week until 1 AM. It may sound like a shitty life to those on the outside, but it is your mentality. My mentality is that I AM going to make it, and that I have turned a corner recently and things are REALLY going to start happening now. Life is NOT easy when every rational person and thought is telling me to quit but my soul tells me to carry on.

There must be a reason why I have fought so long. There must be a reason I have suffered and fought through every injury I've had so far. There must be a reason why I have bought and read dozens of tennis books and biographies of all the tennis greats of the past, downloaded and watched tennis matches from the 60's to today. There must be a reason why I have researched the game from the fucking 1870's until today and read all the results and scores, with no prodding from anyone else. There must be a reason, and it must be more than just posting on MTF.

I still believe I will make it.

Quote:
Old 10-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #355
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck bro

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #356
country flag Dead Net Cord

Dead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I will never be happy just doing that stuff, man. Trust me, I've tried it. First off, you can't get any coaching job unless you have some career in the first place. Second, commentary, writing, umpiring, all that other shit, I will never be happy doing that, I've done it. I've worked in tennis pro shops, I've worked giving lessons and shit, and I am beyond depressed while doing it. I can't just play tennis on the weekends, I will never be happy doing that.

Yes, I know it is risky to do things the way I am doing. Yes I know the odds are 1 billion trillion to 1 or whatever that I will succeed. But there is a chance, I'm sayin' there's a chance. If there is even a sniff of a chance of me making it, which there is, I can't NOT take it. If that means I end up sleeping in my car for a couple of years, if I lose all my friends, if I don't get married and start a family until well into my 30's, then so be it, that is my plan anyway.

I can't just be another average schmuck without at least giving it everything I have to this sport. If I quit now, I will always look back and wonder. I can't do that. Of course I've thought about it. Of course I've considered giving it up, getting a regular job, settling down with a nice girl, etc. etc., of course those things have crossed my mind, how could it not with my results so far?

But there is this thing inside of me, this fire, this voice telling me not to give up, not to give in, to keep going. Despite the financial straits I am in, despite my results being poor so far, despite suffering every injury under the sun almost between age 17-23. I could have quit millions of times, I could have given it up years ago.

But still I rise. Still I work, still I compete, still I have the passion to go out there every day and train, then go deliver pizzas 5 nights a week until 1 AM. It may sound like a shitty life to those on the outside, but it is your mentality. My mentality is that I AM going to make it, and that I have turned a corner recently and things are REALLY going to start happening now. Life is NOT easy when every rational person and thought is telling me to quit but my soul tells me to carry on.

There must be a reason why I have fought so long. There must be a reason I have suffered and fought through every injury I've had so far. There must be a reason why I have bought and read dozens of tennis books and biographies of all the tennis greats of the past, downloaded and watched tennis matches from the 60's to today. There must be a reason why I have researched the game from the fucking 1870's until today and read all the results and scores, with no prodding from anyone else. There must be a reason, and it must be more than just posting on MTF.

I still believe I will make it.
PASSION

with cheap media love and fawners praising who didn't win slams

it must have been good to be a Swiss?

but chokers are always present in slam draws, wearing orange shoes and gold handbags
---
Quote:
Now these are the nights I am going to remember
Dead Net Cord is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #357
Future ATP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowManyTimes View Post
Best of luck bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Net Cord View Post
PASSION

I mean, I don't want to be 40, sitting on the couch watching TV and my kids ask me: "Daddy, how come you never made it?". And I answer: "Because I gave up at 23." What kind of example for my kids is that?

I want to be 40, giving my retirement press conference at the USO, then jetting back to L.A. (or Miami), making love to my wife all day, counseling the next generation of players, and raising my children to go after their dreams whatever they may be, with my own life as the example.

That's what I want.

Quote:
Old 10-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #358
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

You go, Johnny!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #359
country flag Unforced Terror

Unforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond repute

Marc Yurgeson got double-bagelled in the 2nd round

Quote:
Nothing wrong with my serve technically
Unforced Terror is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #360
country flag Sofonda Cox
Banned!

Sofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond repute

Xristos 2.0
Sofonda Cox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote