Johnny Groove Tennis Career - Page 23 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #331
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Johnny Groove 1-6, 4-6 vs. Marc Yurgenson (ITF #2,223)

If for nothing other than the historical record...

Just this past weekend, I played a Men's Open in North Miami Beach.

http://tennislink.usta.com/Tournamen....aspx?T=128660

In the opening round, I played Marc Yurgenson.

http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/pla...erid=100207446

After my double bagel loss to Wojcek in Fort Lauderdale 2 weeks ago, I focused almost entirely on back strengthening and serve practice. I went into the match just hoping to serve well, maybe hold serve. Well, I got much more than I thought I would.

First set, I was nervous as hell, literally shaking as I took notes into my phone. But I was getting into rallies, I was winning points. I was serving ok, meaning he could not unleash so easily on serve and groundstrokes, giving me an extra second to get into position, which made all the difference. After being down 0-3, I finally held serve to go to 1-3, and let out a good positive yell. The next game I had love 40, but he pulled it back. Then my serve let my down, got broken again, so now 1-5. Next game, I had 0-30, but again couldn't get it done.

Vs. Marc Yurgenson, 1-6, 4-6, North Miami Beach Men’s Open, 10/5/13

1st set:

He holds to 30, I’m missing by inches, 0-1
He breaks after 2 deuces, double faults, higher toss, take 2nd returns on rise, 0-2
He holds to 15, I am so nervous, my hands were shaking as I took down the notes, 0-3
I hold to 30, 1-3
He holds after one deuce, I had love 40!, 1-4
He breaks to 30, two more DF from me, fuck, 1-5
He holds to 30, again I had love 30 this time, 1-6

1st set stats:

Points won on serve: Me- 10 (45.5%), Him- 17 (68%)
Points won on return: Me- 8 (32%), Him- 12 (54.5%)
Total points: Me- 18 (38.3%), Him- 29 (61.7%)
Games won on serve: Me- 1 (33.3%), Him- 4 (100%)
Games won on return: Me- 0 (0%), Him- 2 (66.7%)
Total games: Me- 1 (14.3%), Him- 6 (85.7%)

2nd set, I began to relax a bit. I knew that I was on par with this guy and I could compete. I held to love to start off the set, very positive. At 1-1, once again I had a lead in a game, serving 30-0, but ended up DF away the break. This already the third game where I had at least 30-0 and lost Luckily, I was able to fight back and get the break back for 2-2. At 2-2, deuce, I was serving. But the courts were literally meters away from a train track. Of course, as I am about to serve at 2 all deuce, the train rolls by, loud as hell, so I stop for about 5 minutes for the entire train to go. What happens next? DF! I end up losing the game, and he holds for 4-2. My next service game was another battle, 3 more deuces, and 3 more DF, including on BP again!

But now is when I started to make a move. I broke him to 30 in the next game to stay alive. "I'm not fucking ready to shake hands yet" was my mindset here. I held serve to make it 5-4, and he was cursing at himself at this point, in whatever language he was speaking, I dunno, maybe Polish? Something Eastern European would be my guess. As he served for the match at 5-4, I had 15-40, a real chance. My antennas were up, my face looked like a rabid dog, as I was trying desperately to get the break. My face was something like this:

http://edhoncho.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/kobemad.jpg

I had a shot at 15-40, I hit a return that I thought hit the line and he shanked it 3 courts over, but he called it out, and after a quick glance to the USTA referee there who confirmed the call, I got on with it. Eventually we went back and forth, I saved a few match points, he was grunting like a wounded animal while I was doing the karate style quick exhale, but it wasn't enough. He eventually held, and won the match 6-1, 6-4.

2nd set:

I hold to love, 1-0
He holds to 30, 1-1
He breaks me after one deuce, I had 30 love, again, 2 doubles, 1-2
I break to 15, 2-2
He breaks to 30, another DF or 2 from me, too many, man, 2-3
He holds to 15, 2-4
He breaks after 3 deuces, way too many DF, 2-5
I break to 30, 3-5
I hold to 30, 4-5
He holds after three deuces from 15-40, 4-6

2nd set stats:

Points won on serve: Me- 18 (50%), Him- 18 (53%)
Points won on return: Me- 16 (47%), Him- 18 (50%)
Total points: Me- 34 (48.6%), Him- 36 (51.4%)
Games won on serve: Me- 2 (40%), Him- 3 (60%)
Games won on return: Me- 2 (40%), Him- 3 (60%)
Total games: Me- 4 (40%), Him- 6 (60%)

Total stats:

Points won on serve: Me- 28 (48.3%), Him- 35 (59.3%)
Points won on return: Me- 24 (40.7%), Him- 30 (51.7%)
Total points: Me- 52 (44.4%), Him- 65 (55.6%)
Games won on serve: Me- 3 (37.5%), Him- 7 (77.8%%)
Games won on return: Me- 2 (22.2%), Him- 5 (62.5%)
Total games: Me- 5 (29.4%), Him- 12 (70.6%)

Analysis: Well, better. I focused almost entirely on back and serve the last two weeks since the Wojcek loss, and it has absolutely paid dividends. Being on hard court also helped my movement. However any strides I made, and I did, I have still got much work to do. Back must get stronger, toss must be consistently higher, serve must be closer to the lines, I must lose lots of weight, I must get into the gym more and get stronger, I must add a little bit of weight to the racquet once I am strong enough. Overall, very very positive result. Today I learned that I deserve to be on the court against such players. Serve, specially 2nd serve, really let me down today, I absolutely could have pulled even and won that 2nd set, and surely the 3rd if I had taken the 2nd. But then I’d absolutely be late for work, maybe would not have job? I don’t know, bro. Order of importance:
1. Back strength
2. Toss
3. Serve must be faster/closer to lines/not making DF
4. Stepping in on those 2nd serve returns
5. Lose fat
6. Gain muscle
7. Add weight to racquet once you get stronger

It is a very strange thing, really. When we finished the match, I looked and it was 1:15 PM. I had work at 6, and really needed to leave North Miami by about 4:30 to really have time to go home, shower, and change. Had I won the match, I would have played at 3, and I'm not sure if I'd have enough time to get back for work. As it was, I was in the consolation, and, knowing my situation, I lobbied to get the consolation match going immediately. Which was dumb. I had no time to eat, stretch, drink, re-hydrate, and I ended up losing badly, 6-0 6-0 in the consolation, but that one was very easy to brush off. In the consolation match I considered to retire at 0-5 in the first as I had nothing left, but I have never retired ever in a match and wouldn't start here. I took my beating, and went to work a few hours later.

Overall, onwards and upwards, it was very positive how well I played, particularly in that 2nd set vs. Yurgenson. I learned today that I don't need to do anything special to play on this level. I was hitting balls with 3/4 speed, not even, and staying in rallies. I have to improve, sure, but that 2nd set was the first time I truly felt I belonged on the court in a Men's Open. I know it is the tiniest blip of a blip on the radar, but maybe historians will look back years from now and say this was where I truly began. Also, I have a feeling that eventually, possibly sooner rather than later, this job and tennis won't be compatible together, it arguably already isn't. But I need the money, and will continue to try to do it all.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose

Last edited by Johnny Groove : 10-07-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #332
country flag Chris Kuerten

Chris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at your results you still can't make a dent at the 4.5 level after all this commitment? Ever thought about switching to a different sport?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisCup2014 View Post
Then get him out of your avatar and sig talking about him like that, disgrace.
Fedtardism = Ingsoc

FEDERER IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS FEDERER

FEDERER IS STRENGTH

Criticism of Federer = Thoughtcrime
Chris Kuerten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #333
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo Kuerten View Post
Looking at your results you still can't make a dent at the 4.5 level after all this commitment? Ever thought about switching to a different sport?
This was an Opens.

And fuck no. If I switch to anything, it would be the cannabis industry, acting/movies, or fitness.

But i'm not quitting, so...

Quote:
Old 10-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #334

Chris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
This was an Opens.

And fuck no. If I switch to anything, it would be the cannabis industry, acting/movies, or fitness.

But i'm not quitting, so...
I know, I was looking at some earlier results on your USTA profile.

I can see endurance being your thing, considering your work ethic and level of discipline. Marathons, triathlons, you name it. Aim for the Ironman or whatever the toughest race is.
Quote:
Fedtardism = Ingsoc

FEDERER IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS FEDERER

FEDERER IS STRENGTH

Old 10-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #335
Future ATP Star

Quote:
I know, I was looking at some earlier results on your USTA profile.

I can see endurance being your thing, considering your work ethic and level of discipline. Marathons, triathlons, you name it. Aim for the Ironman or whatever the toughest race is.
Fuck that shit.

My passion is tennis, and that is where I will succeed.

I am not Sergio Gutierrez Ferrol, tanking in USO FQR, retiring at 23 and taking up triathlon.

Quote:
Old 10-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #336
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

That's the spirit Johnny!

Who knows, if you keep it up, you might be able to beat my arthritis-ridden grandmother at the After-Mass Sunday Open by the time you're 40.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #337
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

You should definitely consider coaching tennis based on your analysis and report skill. You'd probably be an effective college tennis coach, evaluating a small group of players and slotting based on where you think they would fit.

After your playing days of course.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #338
country flag Mateya
Oldteya :o

Mateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond repute

Big for you.

I know how it's like to get bitchslapped by better players.
Took some beatings, then some inspiring victories, made some improvements...and just when I thought I still might have a chance to succed as a pro player somewhere in the future, there comes a seeded player in a futures event and gives me a reality check together with some bakery products.

Mateya's FAQ: Yes, I'm a girl. Profile pic is me. I watch and play tennis since 13 (1997). I don't play ITFs anymore, I have a job now. MTF-> uncovering my naughty side since 2007.
http://www4.slikomat.com/13/1210/88t-Mateja.jpg
Slovenia's finest: Grega Žemlja, Aljaž Bedene, Blaž Kavčič; Anže Kopitar, Goran Dragič, TINA MAZE, Melanija Trump, Mateja *********.
SLOVENIA - small but extremely dangerous.
Umag > Roland Garros
WTA tour
Nothing in life is NID.
Mateya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #339
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

man u got schooled
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #340
country flag scarecrows
Ace Loveforty

scarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond repute

but why you mention his ITF junior ranking? there are dozens of players ranked 2223, those who have passed 1 round in ITF Grade 5 doubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows
scarecrows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Fuck that shit.

My passion is tennis, and that is where I will succeed.

I am not Sergio Gutierrez Ferrol, tanking in USO FQR, retiring at 23 and taking up triathlon.
What would you consider succeeding at this point?
Quote:
Fedtardism = Ingsoc

FEDERER IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS FEDERER

FEDERER IS STRENGTH

Old 10-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #342
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Unless his goals have changed: winning a Slam/Slams, getting to nr. 1

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #343
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Expected one. Ugly pushers like Yurgenson will always beat beautiful serve-volleyers like Groove.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #344
Future ATP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrows View Post
but why you mention his ITF junior ranking? there are dozens of players ranked 2223, those who have passed 1 round in ITF Grade 5 doubles
I want to give perspective. I know this is only the tiniest little step up the tennis ladder to success, but for me, someone who got beat 0 and 0 for years, now winning games, I can only go up from here.

Quote:
Well I have 5-6 tournaments left for the end of the season, I want to be winning some matches in these Men's Opens by the end there. At the end of the season, we gonna see, but I am taking one tournament at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Unless his goals have changed: winning a Slam/Slams, getting to nr. 1

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Eventually, yes.

Though Olympics 2016 main draw is a shorter term goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik View Post
Expected one. Ugly pushers like Yurgenson will always beat beautiful serve-volleyers like Groove.
I know right.

Quote:
Old 10-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #345
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

In case you are American i would recommend re-defining your goals a bit, cause on the s.m.a.r.t. scale of making goals and plans there is the A, which means "achievable", while the 2016 OGs are not. At all.

If by 2016 you are in the top 600 you should consider it a miracle.

Focus on finding sponsors, or you have no chance for anything, playing and training part time.

You got beaten by a guy who got double baggeled in nexxt round, who's victor took 3 games in his respective next round, so winning games and feeling competitive being an obvious improvement for you, it still is far from winning matches against the worst guys and even further than winning against the better ones. At this level.

So the OGs you should rather target 2020 imho.

Most of us would love it if you manage too do smth, but keep calm and do the humbalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauletekis View Post
there won't be many WC matches that are going to be played at the same time of Wimby, but if I have to choose, WC will always come first by a long shot. Even if it's Argelia vs. South Korea.
no shit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B1S View Post
Both as long as they don't overlap, but when they do - it's world cup every time for me.
NID
latso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote