Johnny Groove Tennis Career - Page 130 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-23-2014, 11:28 PM   #1936
country flag Le_Bousier

Le_Bousier has a reputation beyond reputeLe_Bousier has a reputation beyond reputeLe_Bousier has a reputation beyond reputeLe_Bousier has a reputation beyond reputeLe_Bousier has a reputation beyond reputeLe_Bousier has a reputation beyond reputeLe_Bousier has a reputation beyond reputeLe_Bousier has a reputation beyond reputeLe_Bousier has a reputation beyond reputeLe_Bousier has a reputation beyond reputeLe_Bousier has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Johnny Groove un-retires from tennis

I had to log in and express my admiration for you Johnny Groove. Honestly, at first I thought you were throwing years of your life away with what appeared to me to be an unreachable goal, pursuing a dream that would never get realised. But then it struck me that you are probably already living your dream. Why do we have to fit in standards, study, graduate and get a good job, make money, marry and so on? You've chosen to pursue your dream even if it looks improbable from the regular standpoint. If that makes you happy, I say you've made the right choice. Bravo!
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 11:28 PM   #1937
country flag SheepleBuster

SheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Johnny Groove retires from tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
You know, since I made the announcement, I had taken several days off already, and did not pick another racquet up again until today. I thought a lot. I thought about what I'm gonna do with myself. What mountain to climb? What stars to aim for?

And I came to the conclusion that I simply cannot give up yet. I am un-retiring. I never filed my retirement papers with the ITF, I never sold my racquets, never got that job back at Dominos (though I was very close), and never withdrew from those 3 futures in Florida coming up.

I am too young to give it up, to give it in. My plan now is to keep training, keep playing tournaments, and maybe get a high school history teacher job for a year, and go for the tour starting next June.

So we gonna see what's going on. This week has really opened my eyes to just how much I love the game, how much I miss the game, how much I need the game, and how much the game needs me. Watching Querrey, Young, and Harrison all lose yesterday also inspired me to pick the racquets back up again.

Today when I played, I found my joy in the game again, I fell in love with the game again. I started off terribly, beyond terrible, as I was out of sorts, out of form, hitting the ball off the frame all the time, and was down 5-1 in the first set (best of 5). At *1-5, I served a very very long game, so many deuce, I saved so many BP, and eventually held for 5-2. Big yell, and this got me back in the game. Yeah he held for 6-2, but I fought and fought, played better and better, and won the match by 2-6, 6-4, 6-3, 6-3.

My hip was bothering me towards the end and I did some isolation work in the gym after the match. From now on, I won't be lifting heavy any more. Before, I was lifting too much, and too hard. If you lift for real, your muscles should be very sore for days afterwards. And in a sport like tennis, where agility is of paramount importance, I couldn't have that. So now I have gotten myself to a base level of strength where I can work from. And until I lose a match where I felt I was overpowered, I won't lift heavy again.

I've never felt overpowered. Out maneuvered, yes. Outlasted yes. Technically not as good, sure. But never overpowered. My focus now is on cutting, losing the 15-20 pounds I've packed on, even if it means losing *some* muscle to get myself cut and quick again. The only gym work I will be doing these days is isolation work on problem areas, such as the hip today. Otherwise I felt good as the match went on. Arm was fine, serve was very good especially in the 4th set, and now I am refreshed and ready to tackle the next challenges.

Vamos.
McDonald's lost a great talent
SheepleBuster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:30 PM   #1938
country flag MichaelKrep

MichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepleBuster View Post
McDonald's lost a great talent
They'll just have to wait a few months longer. No harm done.

Grigor Dimitrov Newest Member of Top 10
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga | Marcos Baghdatis

Andy Murray | Alexandr Dolgopolov | Milos Raonic
Pistol Pete
MichaelKrep is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:32 PM   #1939
country flag streetballdude

streetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond repute

You need help.

Groove's Career Plan
Quote:
Age 30-34, make my way into top 10 from top 2000
Age 35-40, peak/prime
Age 41-42, decline, retire in 2032
streetballdude is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:38 PM   #1940
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

how did your granpa took the news?
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:39 PM   #1941
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le_Bousier View Post
I had to log in and express my admiration for you Johnny Groove. Honestly, at first I thought you were throwing years of your life away with what appeared to me to be an unreachable goal, pursuing a dream that would never get realised. But then it struck me that you are probably already living your dream. Why do we have to fit in standards, study, graduate and get a good job, make money, marry and so on? You've chosen to pursue your dream even if it looks improbable from the regular standpoint. If that makes you happy, I say you've made the right choice. Bravo!
Thanks man
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:39 PM   #1942
country flag SheepleBuster

SheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKrep View Post
They'll just have to wait a few months longer. No harm done.
That few months is going to devastate the fast food industry
SheepleBuster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:39 PM   #1943
country flag Police Of Mind

Police Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This didn't happen.
Affirmative.
Police Of Mind is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:39 PM   #1944
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
how did your granpa took the news?
Haven't told him yet, but my Dad was excited I'm not retiring. Grandpa probably will be the same.

Also my old coach who had the heart attack and then the stroke during the surgery is out of the hospital and back at home working to get better. He has already started cursing again so his speech is coming back.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:40 PM   #1945
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Conclusive proof that JG in fact did consult his uncle at a later date.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:48 PM   #1946
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le_Bousier View Post
I kinda agree with this, though I don't share the admiration, going for unrealistic goals is a cop-out I think, because then when you fail, you don't "really" fail since you could never achieve the goal in the first place. Going for realistic goals and having the courage to fail in them is what takes more guts I think. But at the same time, it's a free country.

My post from the GM thread:

Ridiculous... You're just in it for the attention aren't you? I mean surely you must have realized by now that you have a slim chance of even getting a ranking point and no chance to make it big. But if you have the means to do it, then by all means carry on, anyone can definitely choose to do whatever with their own life . If this gives you enjoyment then you can do it, just hope that it won't be something that you'll regret later on.
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:52 PM   #1947
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

Didnt wait long enough. This is a mis-step in the attention seeking adventure.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:57 PM   #1948
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:09 AM   #1949
country flag miura88

miura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond repute

Old 03-24-2014, 12:11 AM   #1950
country flag Brit Tennis Fan

Brit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond repute

I can only assume that Groove's application to resume his pizza delivery job was rejected by a sensible company who didn't want to rehire an epic mug who exists in a fantasy world.
Brit Tennis Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote