Johnny Groove Tennis Career (Taking some time off to fix everything) - Page 122 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #1816
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Johnny Groove Tennis Career

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
good decision. MDS contributes nothing of value, delights in being mean and rambles. I'm not generally bothered enough by anyone to use of the ignore function, but I might do it too just to save myself the scrolling past those painfully long and boring posts.
go for it because in GM I rarely go off topic, this is 'Non Tennis' for a reason. In fact I don't recall having many discussions with you ever in the past so I don't see how it would make a difference if you do

plus you're full of it, I am not mean or negative all the time in fact I originally for example was somewhat supportive of Groove and a hugeeee fan but he is unhealthy and lies to people on this forum over and over and I hate liars

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2014, 07:44 AM   #1817
country flag Kowchi

Kowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
go for it because in GM I rarely go off topic, this is 'Non Tennis' for a reason. In fact I don't recall having many discussions with you ever in the past so I don't see how it would make a difference if you do

plus you're full of it, I am not mean or negative all the time in fact I originally for example was somewhat supportive of Groove and a hugeeee fan but he is unhealthy and lies to people on this forum over and over and I hate liars
Lol at anyone bashing you moutaindewslave, you are just being a realist.

If Johnny doesn't realize what' going on now, than he won't realize what' going on ever and that's the truth of it.

Why? Because I love tennis plain and simple

* Slams Do Not Exist!

Lenders: One thing people need to understand about this so-called weak era is that it was 'weak' for Federer on HC and grass and for Nadal on clay (Federer on clay too Nadal apart) because they were so much better than anyone else, for any outsider the era couldn't possibly be any harder, during 5+ years you had to either beat the best grass/HC player ever or the best clay player ever in every single Slam just to get 1 Slam title.
Kowchi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #1818
country flag streetballdude

streetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond repute

As negative as MDS's comments are, they are necessary in this case. Groove's current ambitions are simply too high.

Groove's Career Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Age 30-34, make my way into top 10 from top 2000
Age 35-40, peak/prime
Age 41-42, decline, retire in 2032
streetballdude is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #1819
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see MDs still up at 3 in the morning writing his bullshit. I wont bother reading them, probably his usual drivel.

Yesterday's serves practice. Very windy day. I am fiddling with my serve, this is more my old Fed-like motion with the platform stance.

Improvements I see I need to make.

left foot move forward instead of back
more knee bend, more back bend, more body turn
As for toss, the height is fine, i am jumping, my arm is fully extended, but the toss is too far left. Needs to be more to the right.
Left arm/neck. The left arm needs to stay up longer after releasing the toss

We getting there.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #1820
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Good to see MDs still up at 3 in the morning writing his bullshit. I wont bother reading them, probably his usual drivel.

Yesterday's serves practice. Very windy day. I am fiddling with my serve, this is more my old Fed-like motion with the platform stance.

Improvements I see I need to make.

left foot move forward instead of back
more knee bend, more back bend, more body turn
As for toss, the height is fine, i am jumping, my arm is fully extended, but the toss is too far left. Needs to be more to the right.
Left arm/neck. The left arm needs to stay up longer after releasing the toss

We getting there.
thing is that you're getting the maximum from this rather wrong movement. You serve quite strong with that and if you manage to change it in a correct way, having the shoulder power that it seems you do have, you could have a great one.

First major thing to start with and seriously - it is important - the ball toss!

The way you toss the ball makes your whole movement follow up wrongly and perhaps by changing only that you could yield a huge positive change.

You throw the ball on the side, which is the reason you make this step with your left foot and spending the energy created by the twist of the body in vain.

Throw the ball straight up and slightly ahead (it should land one meter inside the court straight in front of you if you throw and don't hit it).
Have your weight on your toes, not the heels and the side of the foot, direct your movement ahead.

Just by tossing the ball right these should come by themselves.

At first the serve won't get inside the box, you'll probably hit many nets, but that's the way it should and then you'll slightly adjust your body movement toward the new toss.

Important points - 1. use the rotation of the body (when tossing be 90 degrees to the net, comletely side ways, then when the racquet starts toward the ball - rotate).
2. Drop the back shoulder low, lower than the tossing shoulder. It makes you gain momentum and height when reaching for the ball.

Start from there and if you practice enough you should feel the improvement quite fast.

But start with the toss, it's absolutely imperative.

GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauletekis View Post
there won't be many WC matches that are going to be played at the same time of Wimby, but if I have to choose, WC will always come first by a long shot. Even if it's Argelia vs. South Korea.
no shit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B1S View Post
Both as long as they don't overlap, but when they do - it's world cup every time for me.
NID
latso is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #1821
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, great stuff. Thanks for all the pointers, uncle latso. I'll work on it and get another video tonight.

Quote:
Old 03-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #1822
Future ATP Star

Really not sure how much longer I can keep chasing this. I've sacrificed so much for so long for this to happen with NOTHING to show for it.

How much longer can I go? Today on the court I had no zeal, no zest, nothing. Mentally I still want it, the passion is still there, but my body resists. My body doesn't want to do it. My heart says keep going, my body asks why. My brain is realistic and draws a compromise. 2 more months, until after graduation, three futures, and some more. If I still feel the same now in two months, its time to find something else to do.

No, I am not retired yet, but the day sombrero loco opens a thread in GM announcing my retirement draws ever closer.

How much more? Do I want to keep sacrificing? Or do I want to get my life going for real? Grad school, real job, own apartment, etc. How much longer can I chase this dream? Passion doesn't pay the bills. Love doesn't pay the rent.

Quote:
Old 03-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #1823
country flag mikeydeluxe

mikeydeluxe has a reputation beyond reputemikeydeluxe has a reputation beyond reputemikeydeluxe has a reputation beyond reputemikeydeluxe has a reputation beyond reputemikeydeluxe has a reputation beyond reputemikeydeluxe has a reputation beyond reputemikeydeluxe has a reputation beyond reputemikeydeluxe has a reputation beyond reputemikeydeluxe has a reputation beyond reputemikeydeluxe has a reputation beyond reputemikeydeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I mean, this is all fine and good in theory. But 99.9% of the kids who do this schedule are burnt out by 17. Trust me. I know them, I've seen them, I am one of them. Besides, this only allows for 7 hours of sleep.

My schedule, back when I was doing Dominos, my schedule was:

10 AM- wake up, shower, eat, stretch, get ready to play
12 PM- 2:30 PM- On court work
2:30-3, stretch, drink fluids, drive to gym
3-4:30 Lift
5:00 PM to 2 AM- Dominos

And this is not even with school. There are simply not enough hours in the day. You get very easily burnt out with such a schedule, and I did. it is impossible to work a job and train full time, let alone do school as well. Either I can do school and tennis, I can do work and school, or I can do tennis and some other job like a coaching job where i can also train, which is where I am trying to go. This is all assuming 24 hours in a day. The only way to do all 3 is to reduce your sleep, which will negatively impact all 3.
in my opinion it's more important how parents, coaches and other relatives cope with these goals, with wins and especially with losses! if they are "the typical tennis family", you will be right. if not it can work!

but tell me: what happened between finishing with this schedule and doing what you're doing now?
mikeydeluxe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:00 PM   #1824
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Really not sure how much longer I can keep chasing this. I've sacrificed so much for so long for this to happen with NOTHING to show for it.

How much longer can I go? Today on the court I had no zeal, no zest, nothing. Mentally I still want it, the passion is still there, but my body resists. My body doesn't want to do it. My heart says keep going, my body asks why. My brain is realistic and draws a compromise. 2 more months, until after graduation, three futures, and some more. If I still feel the same now in two months, its time to find something else to do.

No, I am not retired yet, but the day sombrero loco opens a thread in GM announcing my retirement draws ever closer.

How much more? Do I want to keep sacrificing? Or do I want to get my life going for real? Grad school, real job, own apartment, etc. How much longer can I chase this dream? Passion doesn't pay the bills. Love doesn't pay the rent.
I feel your pain. Hang in there. Even if you move on to something else, at least you'd know that you gave this your all. Not everyone has the courage to go after his/her dream with the same ferocity as you. That counts for something.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:02 PM   #1825
Future ATP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeydeluxe View Post
in my opinion it's more important how parents, coaches and other relatives cope with these goals, with wins and especially with losses! if they are "the typical tennis family", you will be right. if not it can work!

but tell me: what happened between finishing with this schedule and doing what you're doing now?
Yes, the family is very, very important to the success of the player.

What happened when I was doing Dominos was that I would end up working late on Friday night, and have to play early the next morning. Usually 8 am. So I would go on court with like 3-4 hours sleep, and be literally falling asleep on return on the court. I was slapping myself to wake up.

You cannot be in prime condition to perform at 8 am when you are still delivering pizzas mere hours before. I gotta get the coaching job, where i can work and train during the week and do tourneys on the weekend. I gotta get to that point, I gotta score a couple of big wins in some Men's Opens, some big scalps on my resume, and then I can get that job.

Quote:
Old 03-08-2014, 11:08 PM   #1826
Future ATP Star

Quote:
I feel your pain. Hang in there. Even if you move on to something else, at least you'd know that you gave this your all. Not everyone has the courage to go after his/her dream with the same ferocity as you. That counts for something.

Hmm, perhaps. It's just tough you know? When you give your all for something for so many years, giving up everything, I mean damn.

But they say you are closest when you feel this way. They say the night is always darkest before the dawn...

Maybe I am here:

http://www.yummitube.com/files/photo/841.jpg

Quote:
Old 03-09-2014, 12:56 AM   #1827
country flag MichaelKrep

MichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not everyone has the courage to post about his/her dream with the same ferocity as you. That counts for something.
That would be a more accurate way of putting it.

Grigor Dimitrov Newest Member of Top 10
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga | Marcos Baghdatis

Andy Murray | Alexandr Dolgopolov | Milos Raonic
Pistol Pete
MichaelKrep is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:56 AM   #1828
country flag Unforced Terror

Unforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
thing is that you're getting the maximum from this rather wrong movement. You serve quite strong with that and if you manage to change it in a correct way, having the shoulder power that it seems you do have, you could have a great one.

First major thing to start with and seriously - it is important - the ball toss!

The way you toss the ball makes your whole movement follow up wrongly and perhaps by changing only that you could yield a huge positive change.

You throw the ball on the side, which is the reason you make this step with your left foot and spending the energy created by the twist of the body in vain.

Throw the ball straight up and slightly ahead (it should land one meter inside the court straight in front of you if you throw and don't hit it).
Have your weight on your toes, not the heels and the side of the foot, direct your movement ahead.

Just by tossing the ball right these should come by themselves.

At first the serve won't get inside the box, you'll probably hit many nets, but that's the way it should and then you'll slightly adjust your body movement toward the new toss.

Important points - 1. use the rotation of the body (when tossing be 90 degrees to the net, comletely side ways, then when the racquet starts toward the ball - rotate).
2. Drop the back shoulder low, lower than the tossing shoulder. It makes you gain momentum and height when reaching for the ball.

Start from there and if you practice enough you should feel the improvement quite fast.

But start with the toss, it's absolutely imperative.

GL
ONKLE Latso

Over-the-internet teaching doesn't get much better than this. The thing is, latso doesn't really have the physical capability now to do exactly what he told you, so I'm not sure I would trust him.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with my serve technically
Unforced Terror is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:58 AM   #1829
country flag MichaelKrep

MichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforced Terror View Post
ONKLE Latso

Over-the-internet teaching doesn't get much better than this. The thing is, latso doesn't really have the physical capability now to do exactly what he told you, so I'm not sure I would trust him.
Uncles gonna uncle.

Grigor Dimitrov Newest Member of Top 10
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga | Marcos Baghdatis

Andy Murray | Alexandr Dolgopolov | Milos Raonic
Pistol Pete
MichaelKrep is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:18 AM   #1830
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Your ball toss is ridiculously bad and it's affecting your entire service motion. You're supposed to place the ball straight up in the air not half a metre to your left. You're striking the ball before it even reaches the apex of your toss which is absurd. Toss it up higher and let the ball drop to the point where you're outstretched arm is at its highest level. Amazing you've been playing this long and still serving like this.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote