Johnny Groove Tennis Career (Preparing for North Miami October 4) - Page 121 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #1801
country flag Advantage_Set

Advantage_Set has a reputation beyond reputeAdvantage_Set has a reputation beyond reputeAdvantage_Set has a reputation beyond reputeAdvantage_Set has a reputation beyond reputeAdvantage_Set has a reputation beyond reputeAdvantage_Set has a reputation beyond reputeAdvantage_Set has a reputation beyond reputeAdvantage_Set has a reputation beyond reputeAdvantage_Set has a reputation beyond reputeAdvantage_Set has a reputation beyond reputeAdvantage_Set has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Johnny Groove Tennis Career

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cava View Post
This is nonsense. Better that people are honest with themselves. This isn't fantasy land. There are lots of things in life that we will never be able to do no matter what.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

You beat me to it.
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 04:26 PM   #1802
country flag MichaelKrep

MichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Of the people I train with, I am top 10% sure, which means i need to find better sparring partners, but it is tough when people look at your record, your results, and don't want to train with you. i've been on both sides of that equation.

bottom line im not good enough yet.
Most important thing if you want to improve rapidly (apart from getting formal coaching of course) is constantly playing against people slightly better than you. Like, you should be losing most sets 6-4, 6-3 or something. I find that helps my own game immensely but it works at all levels of tennis I suppose.

Grigor Dimitrov Newest Member of Top 10
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga | Marcos Baghdatis

Andy Murray | Alexandr Dolgopolov | Milos Raonic
Pistol Pete
MichaelKrep is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #1803
country flag Shinoj
Banned!

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advantage_Set View Post
That's not necessarily true. Especially for Johnny's goal, a lot has to be factored in. Say he wants to be in the top hundred of the ATP Tour. For every generation of tennis players, there's at least a thousand guys who want the same. They work just as hard as him and may have the luck to have more talent, natural power, financial support, or just started playing tennis earlier and have an even bigger advantage..

A Friend of mine once said Keep Your Aim at the Sun. So even if You wont reach sun you can drop at Moon which is good enough.

Have followed tennis since a long time. And a lot of average Players have made it Big. Bruguera,Muster and the Biggest Example is Nadal. . SO why cant he or anyone else for that matter.
Shinoj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #1804
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoj View Post
A Friend of mine once said Keep Your Aim at the Sun. So even if You wont reach sun you can drop at Moon which is good enough.

Have followed tennis since a long time. And a lot of average Players have made it Big. Bruguera,Muster and the Biggest Example is Nadal. . SO why cant he or anyone else for that matter.
I don't think comparing Bruguera, Muster and bloody Nadal to Mr Groove here is very wise.

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 17 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $32,454,018 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 465-146...
TITLES: 29 and counting...

Last edited by Sapeod : 03-06-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #1805
country flag Advantage_Set

Advantage_Set has a reputation beyond reputeAdvantage_Set has a reputation beyond reputeAdvantage_Set has a reputation beyond reputeAdvantage_Set has a reputation beyond reputeAdvantage_Set has a reputation beyond reputeAdvantage_Set has a reputation beyond reputeAdvantage_Set has a reputation beyond reputeAdvantage_Set has a reputation beyond reputeAdvantage_Set has a reputation beyond reputeAdvantage_Set has a reputation beyond reputeAdvantage_Set has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sure, but that still means you can't reach the sun no matter how hard you try.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #1806
country flag mikeydeluxe

mikeydeluxe has a reputation beyond reputemikeydeluxe has a reputation beyond reputemikeydeluxe has a reputation beyond reputemikeydeluxe has a reputation beyond reputemikeydeluxe has a reputation beyond reputemikeydeluxe has a reputation beyond reputemikeydeluxe has a reputation beyond reputemikeydeluxe has a reputation beyond reputemikeydeluxe has a reputation beyond reputemikeydeluxe has a reputation beyond reputemikeydeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

groove, you're 24, right?

when those 6 months are over and (to be honest) I assume nothing dramatically will have changed by then, why don't you just try both dominos (and maybe grad. school along with it) and tennis?
when you can earn so much money at dominos to getting past more than one whole year with the savings, it should be easy to make a living without any savings for a bunch of years.

a lot of young guns whose parents actually care and don't dream have a daily timetable such as:
5:00 am getting up
5:30 am breakfast
6:30 am training
8:30 am school
12:00 lunch break
1:00 pm school
4:30 pm training
6:30 pm dinner
8:00 pm gym / massage
10:00 pm sleep

so just try to shift some things, replace some school and sleep time with work and give it a try!?!
you have absolutely nothing to lose as far as i know from this board...
mikeydeluxe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:29 PM   #1807
country flag TBkeeper

TBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my god ... i just read this whole thread ... 4 hours and a half of reading this shit ... Johnny mid-way through this thread i was like ... maaan , this guy is a complete GOD. When all the drama kicked in , my balls shrinked to the size of olives and all the hero image flew away. This is officially the best thread in MTF. JG is our hero ! ... but a total mug in real life.
Whatever! Which is your next tournament ? I missed so much by not reading this thread only knowing it's existance !

SLAMS: 4 SEMIS, 6 QUARTERS
WTF: 1 TITLE, 1 FINAL, 1 SEMI
MASTERS: 3 TITLES, 5 SEMIS, 10 QUARTERS
TITLES: 21
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 482-329
TBkeeper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #1808
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeydeluxe View Post
groove, you're 24, right?

when those 6 months are over and (to be honest) I assume nothing dramatically will have changed by then, why don't you just try both dominos (and maybe grad. school along with it) and tennis?
when you can earn so much money at dominos to getting past more than one whole year with the savings, it should be easy to make a living without any savings for a bunch of years.

a lot of young guns whose parents actually care and don't dream have a daily timetable such as:
5:00 am getting up
5:30 am breakfast
6:30 am training
8:30 am school
12:00 lunch break
1:00 pm school
4:30 pm training
6:30 pm dinner
8:00 pm gym / massage
10:00 pm sleep

so just try to shift some things, replace some school and sleep time with work and give it a try!?!
you have absolutely nothing to lose as far as i know from this board...
I mean, this is all fine and good in theory. But 99.9% of the kids who do this schedule are burnt out by 17. Trust me. I know them, I've seen them, I am one of them. Besides, this only allows for 7 hours of sleep.

My schedule, back when I was doing Dominos, my schedule was:

10 AM- wake up, shower, eat, stretch, get ready to play
12 PM- 2:30 PM- On court work
2:30-3, stretch, drink fluids, drive to gym
3-4:30 Lift
5:00 PM to 2 AM- Dominos

And this is not even with school. There are simply not enough hours in the day. You get very easily burnt out with such a schedule, and I did. it is impossible to work a job and train full time, let alone do school as well. Either I can do school and tennis, I can do work and school, or I can do tennis and some other job like a coaching job where i can also train, which is where I am trying to go. This is all assuming 24 hours in a day. The only way to do all 3 is to reduce your sleep, which will negatively impact all 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBkeeper View Post
Oh my god ... i just read this whole thread ... 4 hours and a half of reading this shit ... Johnny mid-way through this thread i was like ... maaan , this guy is a complete GOD. When all the drama kicked in , my balls shrinked to the size of olives and all the hero image flew away. This is officially the best thread in MTF. JG is our hero ! ... but a total mug in real life.
Whatever! Which is your next tournament ? I missed so much by not reading this thread only knowing it's existance !
You really read the entire thread?

Don't forget the prologue thread: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=145250

I am neither a God nor a mug. I am merely a human man with both godlike and muglike qualities, just like everyone else.

My schedule for the next few months, that I know for sure:

Nothing this weekend
North Miami Men's Opens- March 15
Week off
Week off
Plantation Men's Opens- April 5
Coral Springs Men's Opens- April 12
Week off
Vero Beach Futures Qualies- April 25
Orange Park Futures Qualies- May 2, Actually I am graduating in Orlando on May 1, 7-11 AM, then I have to drive up to Orange Park right after to sign in later that afternoon, crazy
Tampa Futures Qualies- May 9
Palm Beach Gardens Florida State Closed- May 15
Fort Lauderdale National at the Jimmy Evert- May 17

Those are all that I know for sure. Anything after that will be determined by my performances in the above events.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:17 PM   #1809
country flag Unforced Terror

Unforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I mean, this is all fine and good in theory. But 99.9% of the kids who do this schedule are burnt out by 17. Trust me. I know them, I've seen them, I am one of them. Besides, this only allows for 7 hours of sleep.

My schedule, back when I was doing Dominos, my schedule was:

10 AM- wake up, shower, eat, stretch, get ready to play
12 PM- 2:30 PM- On court work
2:30-3, stretch, drink fluids, drive to gym
3-4:30 Lift
5:00 PM to 2 AM- Dominos

And this is not even with school. There are simply not enough hours in the day. You get very easily burnt out with such a schedule, and I did. it is impossible to work a job and train full time, let alone do school as well. Either I can do school and tennis, I can do work and school, or I can do tennis and some other job like a coaching job where i can also train, which is where I am trying to go. This is all assuming 24 hours in a day. The only way to do all 3 is to reduce your sleep, which will negatively impact all 3.

You really read the entire thread?

Don't forget the prologue thread: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=145250

I am neither a God nor a mug. I am merely a human man with both godlike and muglike qualities, just like everyone else.

My schedule for the next few months, that I know for sure:

Nothing this weekend
North Miami Men's Opens- March 15
Week off
Week off
Plantation Men's Opens- April 5
Coral Springs Men's Opens- April 12
Week off
Vero Beach Futures Qualies- April 25
Orange Park Futures Qualies- May 2, Actually I am graduating in Orlando on May 1, 7-11 AM, then I have to drive up to Orange Park right after to sign in later that afternoon, crazy
Tampa Futures Qualies- May 9
Palm Beach Gardens Florida State Closed- May 15
Fort Lauderdale National at the Jimmy Evert- May 17

Those are all that I know for sure. Anything after that will be determined by my performances in the above events.
You were so confident about your game back then... "Ridiculous forehand, solid 2-handed backhand, rock solid mentally ()"

What you gonna do on your two weeks off? Just train all day?

Quote:
Nothing wrong with my serve technically
Unforced Terror is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:29 PM   #1810
country flag nole_no1

nole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforced Terror View Post
You were so confident about your game back then... "Ridiculous forehand, solid 2-handed backhand, rock solid mentally ()"

He's losing badly on a regular basis and he still has confidence in his game and stuff. If that's not rock solid i don't know what it is

HIST9RY
nole_no1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:15 AM   #1811
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforced Terror View Post

My forehand IS ridiculous
I used to have a solid 2 hander, now I have a very flashy drive backhand and a steady slice, but not as consistent topspin with 1 as with 2. Not yet.

And I AM rock solid mentally. Just look at nole_no1's quote below.

Lots of training, yes, and finish off this last class for college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nole_no1 View Post
He's losing badly on a regular basis and he still has confidence in his game and stuff. If that's not rock solid i don't know what it is
Yeah!
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose

Last edited by Johnny Groove : 03-07-2014 at 02:20 AM.
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:29 AM   #1812
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It was too much.

I am one who always likes to have positive energy flowing, even from the computer screen. I've legit never seen MDS post anything positive, so, adios

Even the various one-liner trolls at least give me a laugh.
good decision. MDS contributes nothing of value, delights in being mean and rambles. I'm not generally bothered enough by anyone to use of the ignore function, but I might do it too just to save myself the scrolling past those painfully long and boring posts.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:35 AM   #1813
country flag TBkeeper

TBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Johnny , you motivate me man When is your birthday ? Date/Month/Year
I wish you many many wins in these frikin tournaments. I'm just angry at you blewing away your 2R round. Of course my record is FQR in a futures but ... if i ever have a ranking i'll reveal myself ... unlikely though cause i'm out of money big time and don't have this drive like previous years cause of my left foot injury which is for a 13th straight month and it hasn't recovered shit so... GG

SLAMS: 4 SEMIS, 6 QUARTERS
WTF: 1 TITLE, 1 FINAL, 1 SEMI
MASTERS: 3 TITLES, 5 SEMIS, 10 QUARTERS
TITLES: 21
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 482-329
TBkeeper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #1814
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Last week or so has been very difficult for me, very depressed, but I feel I have gotten past the worst, and will only get better from here.

Putting mountaindewslave on my ignore list has also helped tremendously.
and to think I was one of Groove's biggest fans!

hahahaha whatever, regardless of my existence plenty of other posters say the same things. is not hating so much as in being in reality

and the poster who said a page or two again 'if you believe you can do anything' is full of shit, plenty of people have all the heart but this isn't magic land, you don't fly just because you believe it. sometimes you work hard and make things happen in life and sometimes you work just as hard and don't move at all.

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:31 AM   #1815
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

that's silly to say, Bruguera, Muster, and Nadal were all better than Groove is now when they were like 9 years old

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote