HBO game of thrones - anyone watching? - Page 29 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #421
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HBO game of thrones - anyone watching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirata. View Post
I really wanted Lady Stoneheart
Oh, yes, that too, but I wasn't even thinking about that!

BTW, I was thinking that the show writers had succeeded in an impossible task, ie, making Ramsay Bolton even more disgusting than in the books... I thought they had completely made up this story about Ramsay cutting off Theon's cock... Well, turns out I may not have read the book carefully enough!
http://boiledleather.com/post/327507...ys-penis-off-a

Also I would have liked a little Bronn. Just because I love him. But OK, he is not very central at the moment

I am realizing at the moment that I have practically forgotten all of A Dance With Dragons, and possibly also most of A Feast For Crows. I would probably need to read them again, but they are huge, and although I love reading, I am a very slow reader, so... I might be happy enough with a Wikipedia recap.

Last edited by Sophitia36 : 06-11-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Sophitia36 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #422
country flag Trollicki

Trollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond repute

Introducing LS after everything that happened in episode 9 would have been too soon. It will be far more dramatic if it happens somewhere early in the next season, after a year has passed between seasons.
Trollicki is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #423
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

I am very disappointed from the last episode, perhaps because episode 9 was the peak of the season and from that u can only go down or episode was really weak
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #424
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
I am very disappointed from the last episode, perhaps because episode 9 was the peak of the season and from that u can only go down or episode was really weak
Punky, the problem was that the season ended in the middle of the book. They didn't have enough time to get in the whole book so, the sort of had to pick an ending point arbitrarily.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #425
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophitia36 View Post
Well, I keep telling you, people, but you won't listen

Martin plays with us by getting us attached to the Stark family at the beginning of the story. Then he tries to show us that we were wrong to believe the Stark were the true heroes, first by showing us that Tyrion is not evil, then that a character like Jaime for instance is not necessarily "evil" either, and that the Starks have not necessarily been that clever or perfect all the time... and then by killing most of the Starks just in case there are a few slow learners who still don't get it

Anyway, I don't really believe in the idea that "no character is safe" in GoT. Of course, having read the books, I know in advance what's going to happen for a few more seasons. But I've been sure for a long time that a certain number of characters were just NOT going to die.

But I think what's really clever about GRR Martin is not so much that he is not afraid of killing characters we love, and even those who seem to be the "heroes", but rather than he tricks you into believing that he has great plans for certain characters, only to kill them.

I know that was how I felt about Khal Drogo and Daenerys's baby. He makes you believe that Drogo is going to help her conquer her country, like a kind of unstoppable Attila... And her baby is supposed to be the "stallion" of whatever, blablabla... And then, poof, they're both gone in the blink of an eye and she's left with nothing.
Same thing about Ned Stark. Same thing about Robb. I did not get caught with Bran and Rickon, though (when Theon was supposed to have killed them), I was pretty sure he was not going to kill Bran just yet
Quote:
Also - sorry about multiple posts... But I was just thinking of something regarding the direwolves and how they mirror or even predict the Stark children's fates. I assume this is no groundbreaking theory but anyway

The first of the Stark children to lose her wolf is Sansa... And from that moment on, Sansa almost seems to have no Stark left in her. She is basically only a victim. I think it is very significant that her father kills the wolf himself. Ned does not realize it, but I think his killing Sansa's wolf prefigures the fact that he's leading her into a trap: marrying her off to the monster that is Joffrey, and leaving her completely helpless in the middle of the Lannisters.

Arya also loses her wolf very early, and yet she remains a Stark (maybe because the wolf lives on)... But like her wolf, she is a little lost and a little too wild. She may still be a Stark, but she seems to be a lost Stark.

Robb's wolf is very closely associated to him, and, especially in the book, you feel that he's doomed when he begins to stop trusting Grey Wind's instincts. I thought it was a shame that they did not show this in the series... Maybe they were afraid of spoiling the surprise. But in the book, I think his wife is afraid of Grey Wind. From the moment he marries this girl, he is doomed, and that is shown partly in the way she leads him away from trusting his direwolf. Grey Wind feels the danger as they arrive at the Frey's, but Robb does not listen to him and accepts to be parted from him. This leads them both to their deaths and the gruesome "reuniting" of their bodies by their enemies...

Bran is very different: he is pretty much always in tune with his wolf. He develops his "warg" abilities before the others, and he never ceases to be one with Summer. And I also have the feeling that Bran never ceases to be a Stark. He may be searching for his path, but he's not lost. He knows he has to go and look for an answer, and he follows his instincts.

I don't really know about Jon and Ghost... Certainly there is a long while when Ghost is away, and that coincides with Jon being a bit lost, too, as he has to deal with conflicted feelings while pretending to be a wildling but falling in love with Ygritte for real. But I did not pay enough attention to Jon's case.

As for Rickon, we hardly see him and his wolf... Maybe later.
:wors hip:
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

Old 06-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #426
country flag Punky

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
Punky, the problem was that the season ended in the middle of the book. They didn't have enough time to get in the whole book so, the sort of had to pick an ending point arbitrarily.
Amber not punky

i didnt read any of the books

so they just left us there???

why not Shoot more ep of season 3?? if they cant or dont have the money they should have ended the season with ep 9

Old 06-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #427
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Amber not punky

i didnt read any of the books

so they just left us there???

why not Shoot more ep of season 3?? if they cant or dont have the money they should have ended the season with ep 9
Yeah, I kind of think the same... It's so annoying that they have to conform to this format, even when it does not work at all.

Personally, I did like the last episode. I am tired of the conventional "cliffhangers" at the end of each season... I thought this last, longer episode was almost the only one that succeeded at finding a good pace, with a number of really intense scenes. Then, it's true that they had to give us a sense of "closure" for every character, in spite of being at a point where there isn't really any, since they're in the middle of the book.
I thought they did well enough at showing us that each character had come to the end of a journey, and was moving on towards something new.

What I did not like is that this decision to cut the book into two parts is quite lame. Their fear was that they had to cover too much material for a 10-episode season. But the result is that they do not have enough to last for 10 episodes with only one half of that material.
So my impression was that we got 8 rather badly crafter transition episodes trying to drag the story on and on (mostly by adding scenes which were rather out of character, like the now infamous "If I had loved Jon Snow" scene...), and then 2 real episodes, with no real ending. I don't think that was a better option.

I assume a 15-episode season would have been impossible for various reasons I don't know about. I assume they were also happy to spread it over two years, because of the "catching up with the book series" danger. But it's a shame how outside factors always end up fucking up things most of the time.

Or maybe I'm just really mad at the moment because Showtime has announced that we would never get a proper ending to the Borgias (not even the poor substitute of a 2-hour film as had been suggested... nothing at all).
At least I hope HBO won't do the same with Game of Thrones and turn it into another Rome.
Sophitia36 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #428
country flag tennisfan856

tennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond repute

They ruined book Stannis and made him out to be a real prick on the show. I was cringing between he and Davos at the end there.
tennisfan856 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #429
country flag Punky

Quote:
Yeah, I kind of think the same... It's so annoying that they have to conform to this format, even when it does not work at all.

Personally, I did like the last episode. I am tired of the conventional "cliffhangers" at the end of each season... I thought this last, longer episode was almost the only one that succeeded at finding a good pace, with a number of really intense scenes. Then, it's true that they had to give us a sense of "closure" for every character, in spite of being at a point where there isn't really any, since they're in the middle of the book.
I thought they did well enough at showing us that each character had come to the end of a journey, and was moving on towards something new.

What I did not like is that this decision to cut the book into two parts is quite lame. Their fear was that they had to cover too much material for a 10-episode season. But the result is that they do not have enough to last for 10 episodes with only one half of that material.
So my impression was that we got 8 rather badly crafter transition episodes trying to drag the story on and on (mostly by adding scenes which were rather out of character, like the now infamous "If I had loved Jon Snow" scene...), and then 2 real episodes, with no real ending. I don't think that was a better option.

I assume a 15-episode season would have been impossible for various reasons I don't know about. I assume they were also happy to spread it over two years, because of the "catching up with the book series" danger. But it's a shame how outside factors always end up fucking up things most of the time.

Or maybe I'm just really mad at the moment because Showtime has announced that we would never get a proper ending to the Borgias (not even the poor substitute of a 2-hour film as had been suggested... nothing at all).
At least I hope HBO won't do the same with Game of Thrones and turn it into another Rome.
I understand but I'm still bitter about it all, I wish we had a little more ;(

When tyrion and Cersei had a talk and Cersei said how much she love her kids it seems like she thinks that Joffrey will die or will be killed at some point? I didn't understand

They keep him just bc they want their own blood as king until the war will be over?

Old 06-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #430
country flag Punky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfan856 View Post
They ruined book Stannis and made him out to be a real prick on the show. I was cringing between he and Davos at the end there.
He look so weak and changed his mind constantly

Old 06-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #431
country flag tennisfan856

tennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I understand but I'm still bitter about it all, I wish we had a little more ;(

When tyrion and Cersei had a talk and Cersei said how much she love her kids it seems like she thinks that Joffrey will die or will be killed at some point? I didn't understand

They keep him just bc they want their own blood as king until the war will be over?
I think the conversation between Cersei and Tyrion was about how even Cersei now realizes that Joffrey is a monster. She was oblivious to to it prior to Ned's beheading. I don't think she fears for his life at the moment, but she is severely disappointed with how he turned out.

Keeping Joffrey as king is ideal now because Tywin is hand. The boy is merely a puppet while his Uncle pulls all the strings. Even if Joffrey were to die somehow, Cersei's kids are also quite young and can be controlled by Tywin. It works out perfectly this way.
tennisfan856 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #432
country flag Punky

Quote:
I think the conversation between Cersei and Tyrion was about how even Cersei now realizes that Joffrey is a monster. She was oblivious to to it prior to Ned's beheading. I don't think she fears for his life at the moment, but she is severely disappointed with how he turned out.

Keeping Joffrey as king is ideal now because Tywin is hand. The boy is merely a puppet while his Uncle pulls all the strings. Even if Joffrey were to die somehow, Cersei's kids are also quite young and can be controlled by Tywin. It works out perfectly this way.
he is a monster, i couldnt stand him from the first ep he is such a sick little men.
George martin did an amazing job and the actor

if Joffrey will die who will be king?

Old 06-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #433
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah. They took all the nuance out of his character.

Quote:
he is a monster, i couldnt stand him from the first ep he is such a sick little men.
George martin did an amazing job and the actor

if Joffrey will die who will be king?
Depends on how he dies. If he is overthrown, it will be up to the forces who took power from him. If it just goes through Robert's line, it would be Joffery's child or if he dies childless, Joffery's brother who I don't remember seeing since his mother was going to give him poison last season. Or if that brother doesn't survive, it would be Marcella who went to Dorne long ago.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #434
country flag Punky

So what happened if Jeffrey's brothers died, he doesn't have kids and Stannis is killed?

Old 06-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #435
country flag Trollicki

Trollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond repute

Then we will still have Stannis´ daughter, Daenarys with her dragons and there might be some new claimants coming to the fore.
Trollicki is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote