HBO game of thrones - anyone watching? - Page 26 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #376
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HBO game of thrones - anyone watching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexybeast View Post
They had no option really, between 10 episodes for Storm of Swords cutting alot of characters and plots to make it super plotdriven and no time for character development or a more slowly paced beginning of season 3 to catch up with characters previously cut (Barristan, Ramsay, Reeds, etc.) and then let the stone start rolling at end of season 3 to season 4, I certanly prefer the later option.

Producers already said they can not possibly do more than 10 episodes per season because of the long distances between locations and complications shooting the series.

So, would you rather have super condensed 10 episodes with crazy things happening and characters barely having time to develop and cutting alot of important players to what they are doing now?

The ideal situation may have been 15 episodes season, I rather like slow paced series where things are properly introduced and I would hate to see them cut small character moments to make explosive events drive the show every episode.

I loved this episode by the way. 3rd best episode after 4-5. Last 2 episodes of the season and season 4 will be amazing covering the sick last half of Storm of Swords and the long set up will make the climax so much more rewarding and we will come to care more what happens to these characters as we got time invested in them.

The Wire would not have the most amazing moments of catharsis in TV history without the slow buildup in the beginning-middle part of the seasons.
But my main problem is not just the slow build-up. The problem is, in addition to being slow, it is NO build-up at all.
I don't necessarily mind that there isn't much action happening. Right now I have the feeling that they are streching it way too much, but normally, I don't necessarily mind "transition" scenes, or more intimate scenes.

The problem is, they are not very good at all at "building up" anything. Because, as I've said before, in addition to delaying the big scenes, they also have terrible editing with tiny bits of each story in each episode. That just kills any kind of "build up" there may be.
I agree that the last one was better in this regard, and therefore it was also better as an episode.

If they want to have some transitional episodes, they should take time to do this properly.
There's plenty of great stuff going on at the moment that is not necessarily "action". For instance, Arya and the Hound. But how much time did they spend on this? A couple of minutes, and then it was over.
Same thing for Sam and Gilly, as I said, why divide this story into two tiny scenes and put them in two different episodes?
I agree with you that it's often worth "investing" time in character development, but IMO they are just not investing this time properly.
The Tyrion/Sansa scenes in this one were an exception, they were good, and long enough to be enjoyable.

In other words, I don't care about the slow pace per se, but if it is slow AND badly edited, then I don't find it engrossing at all.
Maybe they are cutting up the story into tiny bits because they have the impression that changing story constantly is going to create dynamism, but for me, it does the exact opposite. It "takes me out" of the story, if that makes any sense.
It's about as enjoyable as biting one mouthful of food and getting the food taken out of your mouth. I know series like to leave you feeling hungry for more, but it's becoming really a cliché and to do this constantly is just killing the pace, IMO.

No, really, I don't think there was any episode that was really good in season 3. And yet I had loved season 1, and parts of season 2, I'm not a "book nazi", I was even willing to watch when it started turning into fanfiction rather than adaptation. But right now, I do feel there is a big slump in quality, and I know other fans who feel the same (or have stopped watching altogether).
Sophitia36 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #377
country flag sexybeast

sexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the show is quite difficult to properly edit. POV structure of the book means that there are so many characters that we need to follow all the time, if we leave one out too long we also lose investment in them.

But sure loved how they focused on 3 storylines this episode. I loved how they edited episode 5 this season aswell. Editing seems to be one hell of a creative work in this series, in season 1 it was alot easier ofcourse. They basically have 2 options, focus on few storylines or try to find a uniting theme in all different storylines.

Most difficult are the unconnected storylines, like Bran, Theon, Sam and Stannis. It is difficult for people to see why those stories even matter in some ways.

Jon, Daenarys clearly lead somewhere even if they are far off.

Last edited by sexybeast : 05-21-2013 at 08:39 PM.
sexybeast is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:30 AM   #378
country flag Roger the Dodger

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute

Great series but I am surprised that no one in this thread has shown any love for the Lord Varys/Baelish/Pycelle trio.

I like them too. They are such characters!
Down in the street little eddies of wind were whirling dust and torn paper into spirals, and though the sun was shining and the sky a harsh blue, there seemed to be no color in anything, except the posters that were plastered everywhere. The black mustachioed face gazed down from every commanding corner. There was one on the house-front immediately opposite.BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption said, while the dark eyes looked deep into Winston's own. Down at street level another poster, torn at one corner, flapped fitfully in the wind, alternately covering and uncovering the single word INGSOC. (1.1.4)
Roger the Dodger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #379
country flag Nirjhor

Nirjhor has a reputation beyond reputeNirjhor has a reputation beyond reputeNirjhor has a reputation beyond reputeNirjhor has a reputation beyond reputeNirjhor has a reputation beyond reputeNirjhor has a reputation beyond reputeNirjhor has a reputation beyond reputeNirjhor has a reputation beyond reputeNirjhor has a reputation beyond reputeNirjhor has a reputation beyond reputeNirjhor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger the Dodger View Post
Great series but I am surprised that no one in this thread has shown any love for the Lord Varys/Baelish/Pycelle trio.

I like them too. They are such characters!
I love Lord Varys and Baelish, but not Pycelle.

79 Titles Including 17 Grandslam, 21 Masters, 6 YEC and Counting.

♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔♔

The Greatest Player Ever to Play Tennis.
Nirjhor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #380

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirjhor View Post
I love Lord Varys and Baelish, but not Pycelle.
Yes Varys and Baelish are dynamite when they come together. But Pycelle is an old corrupted sex maniac who puts on the garb of a wise old man when he goes to court.

My favorite characters though are Arya, Tyrion, Bronn, Snow, Jorah, Dany, Khal, hell they are all interesting.

There are rumours that Khal Drogo will return in a later season. Hope its true. Really liked his character. Different from the rest.

Also can't see why Tywin is considered a badass character. So far, he's the only Lannister worth being called a warrior (Not counting the Kingslayer). But I've only finished season 2.
Down in the street little eddies of wind were whirling dust and torn paper into spirals, and though the sun was shining and the sky a harsh blue, there seemed to be no color in anything, except the posters that were plastered everywhere. The black mustachioed face gazed down from every commanding corner. There was one on the house-front immediately opposite.BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption said, while the dark eyes looked deep into Winston's own. Down at street level another poster, torn at one corner, flapped fitfully in the wind, alternately covering and uncovering the single word INGSOC. (1.1.4)

Last edited by Roger the Dodger : 05-27-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #381
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Drogo is dead, he's likely not coming back for anything but a flashback.
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #382
country flag PedroMarquess

PedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond reputePedroMarquess has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirata. View Post
Drogo is dead, he's likely not coming back for anything but a flashback.
He was a beast.

Well, the beast still lives, the dragon name is drogo or drogon?
PedroMarquess is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #383

I made a random google search today to find out the popular opinion on the closest real life resemblance to Joffrey's character in GoT.

No surprises for the number of people who guessed the same thing:http://joffreybieber.tumblr.com/
Old 06-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #384
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Thrones-M...ree+soundtrack

Season 3 soundtrack will come out in two days. You can listen to samples from amazon, but there are spoilers in the titles so Unsullied viewers () should be careful. Can't wait for tonight, four hours!!
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #385
country flag Kiedis

Kiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond repute

God is killing me
Kiedis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #386
country flag tennisfan856

tennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond repute

one of those days/episodes where i wish i didn't know how to use the internet or read a book.
tennisfan856 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #387
Art(e)mio

Art(e)mio has a reputation beyond reputeArt(e)mio has a reputation beyond reputeArt(e)mio has a reputation beyond reputeArt(e)mio has a reputation beyond reputeArt(e)mio has a reputation beyond reputeArt(e)mio has a reputation beyond reputeArt(e)mio has a reputation beyond reputeArt(e)mio has a reputation beyond reputeArt(e)mio has a reputation beyond reputeArt(e)mio has a reputation beyond reputeArt(e)mio has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a huge fan.

⊱ GAME OF THRONES ⊰

ON BERDYCH'S SIDE OF TRUTH
RICHARD GASQUET | GILLES SIMON | ANDREAS SEPPI | ROGER FEDERER
Art(e)mio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #388
country flag jmjhb

jmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond repute

Well, they certainly did TRW justice

Singles rank: #110
Doubles rank: #31

Singles: W: Houston 2013, Montpellier 2014 F: Bucharest 2013, Kitzbühel 2012 SF: US Open 2011

Doubles (w/Goldenoldie): W: Le Gosier CH 2013 F AO 2014 SF: (w/Goldenoldie)

Other: W: WTC Dusseldorf 2012
jmjhb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #389
country flag swordsman

swordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond repute

I watched the first season, was blown away by it, so I decided to read the books. I wanted to finish the books first before continuing watching the series, but after 1,5 years I'm still only at page 250 of the first book. Just can't find the time to read
swordsman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #390
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

I was almost afraid of watching this one, with all the comments on the upcoming "shocking wedding"! I kinda guessed what would happen though... I just fear that the war will become slightly less interesting with the North "defeated", I can't see them rallying back from this one... But maybe Stannis will prove to be a worthy foe for the Lannisters?
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote