HBO game of thrones - anyone watching? - Page 16 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-02-2013, 02:12 AM   #226
country flag sexybeast

sexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HBO game of thrones - anyone watching?

I loved the episode, that scene between Tywin and Tyrion is hearthbreaking, I could sit and watch 2 great actors like that just talking with each other for an hour. I love how they are really taking it slow and doing character development. I am incredibly interested to see where they will go with the Jeofrey and Margeary arc that we couldnt see in the book so much because of the POV storytelling. Jeoffrey looked like a little schoolboy, very insecure with Margeary like if he did not know how to impress her.
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 06:28 AM   #227
country flag tennisfan856

tennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was fantastic as well, the flow already a whole lot better than beginning of season 2. The tywin/tyrion scene was just amazing, they both nailed that scene. Newcomer ciarin hinds was great, the character is in good hands. The unsullied were just as I had envisioned, excellent job by the creators. Keep this up and we're in for 2 years of golden television.

One thing though is they need to slow down with dany or they will need to make up material if they want her to be a regular.
tennisfan856 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #228
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexybeast View Post
Jeoffrey looked like a little schoolboy, very insecure with Margeary like if he did not know how to impress her.
I think he was so used to Sansa's submissiveness (because she had to be, in order to survive) that being confronted by someone as headstrong and independent as Margaery, he doesn't know what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #229
country flag jmjhb

jmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond repute

I really dislike the casting of Margaery. I know they've aged the characters, but she is far too old.

They seem to have aged Meli too?

I thought it was a good scenesetter, though I didn't like how they changed the Jon/Mance bits from the book and the Selmy reveal was surprising, if logical, from a TV point of view.

As mentioned, that Tywin/Tyrion scene was great. They captured the giants and the Wildlings perfectly, I thought.

Singles rank: #110
Doubles rank: #31

Singles: W: Houston 2013, Montpellier 2014 F: Bucharest 2013, Kitzbühel 2012 SF: US Open 2011

Doubles (w/Goldenoldie): W: Le Gosier CH 2013 F AO 2014 SF: (w/Goldenoldie)

Other: W: WTC Dusseldorf 2012
jmjhb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #230
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute

It was a bit slow, like a first episode, but it was good.

Great Bronn scenes almost made up for no Jaime
Sophitia36 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #231
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

I am happy I've read the books because I am pretty sure I would have found this first episode even more disappointing.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On "vulturing" Shanghai
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrows View Post
lucky win with Mayer, easy draw, Simon choked, Dull with appendicitis, Nole to become father, closed roof from organizers, Del Potro injured, Hrbaty retired
plenty to pick from
On patriotism and the DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustaceok View Post
Barbados is in the same division as Spain. Unbelievable.
Looner is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #232
country flag superslam77

superslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond repute

first episode of season 3 was good...bit of a recap though...

numbers are not everything.
superslam77 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #233
country flag Allez

Allez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond repute

Episode 1 a bit of a bore which is understandable if they plan to drag book three out into a 2 more seasons.

Though the Tywin and Tyrion scene was fantastic it's hard for me to feel any sympathy for the imp knowing he's the author's favourite character by a mile. How can anyone take it seriously when the imp acts as if he's scared of his sister who is portrayed as incredibly stupid. Even without reading the books one must sense certain favouritism by the author. Yeah yeah the imp will outsmart everyone! fuck off. I'd be happy to see his head roll! Tywin is amazing though. Fantastic actor for a superb character. There are vile people like that in real life.

Danny! One of my favourite characters in the books...the author could have done so much more with her character. Enormous wasted potential. I suppose he didn't want to upstage his favourite characters *sigh*. The dragons are starting to look a little less cute and a touch more frightening. Lovely.

I too don't like the casting of Margaery.She is too old/ mature/smart for Joffery...it's not a fair contest. Also I will always think of the actress as Anne Boleyn

Stannis scenes are always cool. Loved the dialog between Sir Davos and Melisandre. The horror in Davos' face when reminded of his part in the blackwater disaster. He was so self righteous before the war wanting nothing to do with Melisandre's witchcraft and now he has to live with the consequences

Scenes with the Wildlings are always a treat. Jon Snow is not my favourite character at all...probably because he is one of the authors' favourites so I'm always looking for bias. Perfect casting for Ygritte if ever there was one though. She is cool. So is Sam. The scene of him running in the snow is classic.

Roll on episode 2.
Allez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #234
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
Episode 1 a bit of a bore which is understandable if they plan to drag book three out into a 2 more seasons.

Though the Tywin and Tyrion scene was fantastic it's hard for me to feel any sympathy for the imp knowing he's the author's favourite character by a mile. How can anyone take it seriously when the imp acts as if he's scared of his sister who is portrayed as incredibly stupid.
Well... Cersei is not THAT stupid and she certainly isn't harmless! She makes mistakes but she's also cunning, powerful and totally ruthless. I would be scared of her, even if I had Tyrion's brains.

I understand what you mean about the Tyrion "favouritism". It is also getting on my nerves a bit. But Tyrion is still an awesome character.

Quote:
I too don't like the casting of Margaery.She is too old/ mature/smart for Joffery...it's not a fair contest. Also I will always think of the actress as Anne Boleyn
I have the same problem regarding Anne Boleyn, but it's starting to bother me a little less. They are fleshing out her character a bit more and I am beginning to see Margaery instead of Anne.

Quote:
Stannis scenes are always cool. Loved the dialog between Sir Davos and Melisandre. The horror in Davos' face when reminded of his part in the blackwater disaster. He was so self righteous before the war wanting nothing to do with Melisandre's witchcraft and now he has to live with the consequences
I don't know why, but I have a lot of affection for Davos as a character, although he is the type of character that I usually don't like (the guy whose only real quality is his loyalty).
There is something about his devotion to Stannis that I find really moving.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #235
country flag Allez

Allez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophitia36 View Post
Well... Cersei is not THAT stupid and she certainly isn't harmless! She makes mistakes but she's also cunning, powerful and totally ruthless. I would be scared of her, even if I had Tyrion's brains.
We hear other characters talk of Cersei's cunning and power but we don't see it. We don't see how she arrives at the conclusions she does. All we see is her being outsmarted by the imp time and time again. She never gets one up on everyone's favourite dwarf. So at some point you have to wonder what it is that these characters see in her that we as the audience don't? She was superb in book 1 dealing with the Starks...her "when you play the game of thrones..." line was iconic. Her neck was on the line and dealt with the situation amazingly well and even then she was not nearly as vile as her son. There were some redeeming qualities to her character. Since then she's been reduced to a paranoid fool. Even Margaery seems a lot better at playing the game...

I find it boring that just because the imp is physically challenged he has to be smarter than everyone else. It's so blatant what the author is doing. He is the cleverest and least mean of all the Lannisters (in spite of what he does in the book) There are dumb and mean dwarves as well

Danny's brother was the exact opposite. Pretty, incredibly mean and unimaginably dumb . You only need to look at the author's appearance to know why his characters are that way I suppose. Acting out some deeply rooted shit on his poor characters
Old 04-03-2013, 05:22 AM   #236
country flag tennisfan856

tennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't remember but wasn't the guard that tried to kill tyrion part of the kingsguard? He knew cersei was controlling joffrey so he might have thought it was her plan for that to happen. I don't blame him for the paranoia since nobody really visited him or showed any care.
tennisfan856 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #237
country flag niff

niff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I just saw that as her bluffing, imo Davos is totally right to distrust her. Ultimately the strength of the Tyrell-Lannister alliance was what finished the battle, which was caused by Melisandre influencing Stannis to murder his brother.
niff is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #238
country flag Sophitia36

Quote:
Originally Posted by niff View Post
I just saw that as her bluffing, imo Davos is totally right to distrust her. Ultimately the strength of the Tyrell-Lannister alliance was what finished the battle, which was caused by Melisandre influencing Stannis to murder his brother.
True. That's one way of looking at things. Ultimately, the question of whether or not Melisandre is reliable is a big, big question, and it's not going to be solved anytime soon.
I won't spoil people who haven't read all the books yet, though, but I have read them all and I still don't know what to think.

Quote:
We hear other characters talk of Cersei's cunning and power but we don't see it. We don't see how she arrives at the conclusions she does. All we see is her being outsmarted by the imp time and time again. She never gets one up on everyone's favourite dwarf. So at some point you have to wonder what it is that these characters see in her that we as the audience don't? She was superb in book 1 dealing with the Starks...her "when you play the game of thrones..." line was iconic. Her neck was on the line and dealt with the situation amazingly well and even then she was not nearly as vile as her son. There were some redeeming qualities to her character. Since then she's been reduced to a paranoid fool. Even Margaery seems a lot better at playing the game...
Well, to be honest, Margaery is one of the most clever and cunning of all the characters, so she is better than most people at playing the game. She's more or less another Cersei, but even more beautiful, more clever, and younger (which is arguably why Cersei hates her so much).

I think Cersei has been pretty good, the way she survived Ned Stark's discovery was already pretty impressive. Of course, her son went way overboard and she had not intended that (I think her blind love for that moron Joffrey is probably her greatest weakness). Otherwise, she does quite well, really, when you see what a viper's nest King's Landing can be.
The Imp may be more clever but right now he's not really in a better position than Cersei, is he?

And I don't think she's really paranoid, she knows that in her position, she IS constantly under threat and she has to be very careful.

Quote:
I find it boring that just because the imp is physically challenged he has to be smarter than everyone else. It's so blatant what the author is doing. He is the cleverest and least mean of all the Lannisters (in spite of what he does in the book) There are dumb and mean dwarves as well

Danny's brother was the exact opposite. Pretty, incredibly mean and unimaginably dumb . You only need to look at the author's appearance to know why his characters are that way I suppose. Acting out some deeply rooted shit on his poor characters
Yeah, well, I agree with you that's it's a little bit cliché to have the ugliest character be the most clever. But you can't really claim it's a pattern...
Margaery for instance is beautiful, and clever, and rather positive (she has her dark side, too, but so does Tyrion after all).
Sansa may not be very clever (though I think people are too hard on her, she's a naive child who got trapped by people who were far more experienced at deceit than she was), but she is beautiful and kind.
Dany is definitely beautiful, clever, and a positive character.

*SPOILERS* Jaime's character also evolves towards something rather positive. By the end of book 1 you hate him with a passion, but now, he has become one of my favourite characters. He is very handsome, he is clever, and once you stop seeing him as "the evil Kingslayer" and you start seeing things from his own point of view, he is not really a bad person. He is quite ruthless when fighting his enemies and defending his own, that's true, but none of the characters in the books are 100% good.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #239
country flag Sombrerero loco

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

i really want to see more of Cersei soon on the series the actress is amazing too, and the character is my fave by far

Jerzy Janowicz/Bernard the aTomic /Thanasi Kokkinakis/Kei Nishikori

John Millman / Javier Martí/Taro Daniel-Jules Marie-Josh Milton

Henkka Kontinen
-Nick Kyrgios-Henri Laaksonen- Attila Balazs- Pierre Hugues Herbert-Alex Bolt-Marcus Willis-Kristijan Mesaros-Brydan Klein-Chris Rungkat-Piotr Gadomski-Hugo Nys-Pol Toledo
www.tennisalternative.com
Sombrerero loco is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #240
country flag Allez

Quote:
Originally Posted by niff View Post
She spoke the truth. Once Stannis got her involved by removing Renly, he should have stuck with her. That's how "evil" works. You can't have your cake and eat it too Had she been allowed to weave her magic the war would have been won with very few casualties. But, yeah...god only knows who the red woman ultimately serves so ultimately that would have been a hollow victory. She is sucking poor Stannis dry To see him so conflicted about her is great stuff