HBO game of thrones - anyone watching? - Page 15 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #211
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HBO game of thrones - anyone watching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viruzzz View Post
Oh yes, season 3 will be pure solid shiny gold.
I mean... I'll watch season 2 this month, but my fav book was the 3rd one, and this could be really amazing.

I didn't watched Rome yet, everyone say it's one of the best TV series ever, should I start watching it?
Rome is one of the best series I have ever seen. In my opinion, and although I LOVE Game of Thrones, it is even better. Of course you've got to be prepared for the fact that there are only two seasons, and that they couldn't finish the story properly because of financial problems. That's definitely frustrating.
But otherwise, I think this series is pretty close to perfection. I love the entire cast. I hadn't seen any of them before, apart from maybe James Purefoy. But seriously, I find every single actor in this series to be breathtaking. The two main roles are just really endearing in their own ways, Ciaran Hinds as Caesar is amazing, there are some really strong female roles too with great actresses (Polly Walker...)
I also love the way their intertwine fiction with historical events. Not very believable sometimes, of course, since Pullo and Vorenus keep being there when shit happens, but who cares?

Just like Game of Thrones, it has quite a lot of sex and violence, but unlike Game of Thrones, I thought it felt less contrived. Honestly, I don't mind violence and sex at all, the problem is, I don't like it when I feel it's being overdone, as a cheap way to attract more viewers. Game of Thrones sometimes gave me that impression, especially in the second season.
There's already plenty of sex and violence in the books, but somehow, they seem to think that they need to seize every damn occasion to put even MORE sex and violence in it. I think that's a bad choice and it makes an otherwise awesome adaptation look a little cheap. Game of Thrones doesn't need to be turned into a titty show in order to be attractive. It is already pretty damn awesome as it is.
It also means they feel compelled to make everything that is left a little mysterious or unsaid in the books absolutely explicit (Renly/Loras, Renly/Margaery, Stannis/Melisandre...) and I don't like that. I think it dumbs down the show. Martin is not afraid to make explicit sexual intercourse scenes very explicit, so when he decides to leave something unsaid, I think it would be a good choice to respect that aspect.
Sophitia36 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #212
country flag sexybeast

sexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond repute

Extended trailer with some more goodies:

A bear there was, A BEAR, A BEAR!
Old 03-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #213
country flag sexybeast

sexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophitia36 View Post
There's already plenty of sex and violence in the books, but somehow, they seem to think that they need to seize every damn occasion to put even MORE sex and violence in it. I think that's a bad choice and it makes an otherwise awesome adaptation look a little cheap. Game of Thrones doesn't need to be turned into a titty show in order to be attractive. It is already pretty damn awesome as it is.
It also means they feel compelled to make everything that is left a little mysterious or unsaid in the books absolutely explicit (Renly/Loras, Renly/Margaery, Stannis/Melisandre...) and I don't like that. I think it dumbs down the show. Martin is not afraid to make explicit sexual intercourse scenes very explicit, so when he decides to leave something unsaid, I think it would be a good choice to respect that aspect.
It is a good point, I like subtlety in my series and Game of Thrones is very bad at beeing discrete about things, too bad they did not stay true to George RR Martin in that regard. I forgive the show just because all else is so damn good, like scene/costume design and visual effects (cant belive they did those dragons so belivable with THAT BUDGET!) the cast is truly wonderful and enchanses some parts of the book, some characters just come to life and are damn brilliant. Such a huge cast too.

The child actors are just incredible, boy will it pay off as the story progresses.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #214
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexybeast View Post
Extended trailer with some more goodies:

A bear there was, A BEAR, A BEAR!
The Bear and the Maiden Fair! The Lord's Kiss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #215
country flag shadows

shadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond repute

This season should be fantastic, trailer looks like they're going to get a lot of stuff right =)
shadows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #216
country flag Moonball Pusher

Moonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond reputeMoonball Pusher has a reputation beyond repute

What I don't understand is, if someone loves the TV series so much, how can you stand to wait for the next season when you could easily read the book and find out what happens?
Moonball Pusher is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #217
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexybeast View Post
It is a good point, I like subtlety in my series and Game of Thrones is very bad at beeing discrete about things, too bad they did not stay true to George RR Martin in that regard. I forgive the show just because all else is so damn good, like scene/costume design and visual effects (cant belive they did those dragons so belivable with THAT BUDGET!) the cast is truly wonderful and enchanses some parts of the book, some characters just come to life and are damn brilliant. Such a huge cast too.

The child actors are just incredible, boy will it pay off as the story progresses.
I agree, the cast is amazing, especially the children. Arya is my personal favourite among the actors, but Bran and Sansa (though she's not really a child) are awesome as well.
Considering that I had read the book before seeing the series, I would say most of the choices they made were perfect. I think my only disappointment was Renly, I don't like the actor, and they changed his character a lot. I'm not too crazy about Natalie Dormer either, because she just reminds me too much of Anne Boleyn. Otherwise, I thought they were all perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbmike View Post
What I don't understand is, if someone loves the TV series so much, how can you stand to wait for the next season when you could easily read the book and find out what happens?
Well, I think waiting is the right choice. You will not be disappointed by the book after you've seen the series, while having read the book recently will spoil your appreciation of the series. At least in my case, that's how it works
Or else, I hope to have forgotten a little about the books when I see the series (this is probably what's going to happen now, I've read them all but I don't remember the details).

The trailer is exciting!
Sophitia36 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #218
country flag tennisfan856

tennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirata. View Post
Absolutely, and if they fail at that, it will ruin the momentum with the rest of the season. The best part about it in the book is that you never really see it coming, especially with the second character death and what happens to them later
Thinking about it again, the show is pretty doomed once book 3 ends. His writing in the last two books won't translate well to tv and I'm not sure audiences will warm up to the new characters.
tennisfan856 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #219
country flag sexybeast

Really looks like they upped the scale of their budget:

Looks so cinematic...
Old 03-17-2013, 12:37 AM   #220
country flag sexybeast

It just gets better and better with these trailers:

Oh my, look at sexy Ygritte at 0:41! Be strong Jon, remember your vows....

Last edited by sexybeast : 03-17-2013 at 10:06 AM.
sexybeast is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:20 AM   #221
country flag sexybeast

Ok, the best trailer was yet to come. Any fans out there in this site? This looks mindblowing:

Have you guys ever seen anything like this on TV? I mean the scope of it all..

Last edited by sexybeast : 03-18-2013 at 12:11 PM.
sexybeast is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #222
country flag sexybeast

Bloody dragons fishing, this is quite stunning:

They are starting to look a bit scary...
Old 03-22-2013, 03:27 AM   #223
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute

Can't wait, book 3 was my favorite and the trailers look amazing. I wonder where they will cut it off for the end of the season.

As for reading the books vs. the show, I started reading the books right after the first episode of the show and am glad I did. It enhances the show because you don't get confused and notice little details you otherwise wouldn't know about. It doesn't ruin the show at all for me.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:03 AM   #224
country flag tennisfan856

tennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond repute

I respectfully disagree. I read the books after the first season aired and completely regret it. Watching season 2 was like having the scripts in hand with some major cuts thrown in. The suspense of what was going to happen to Winterfall/Theon or the Stannis/King's Landing battle would've been much more exciting for me had I not known. For me sadly, the books really display the flaws in some episode scripts even though I enjoy the series as a whole.
tennisfan856 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:16 AM   #225
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of a snoozefest tonight. Book 3 is covered by three seasons, they've already covered at least half of Dany's storyline from the third book

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote