HBO game of thrones - anyone watching? - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #151
country flag Harmless

Harmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HBO game of thrones - anyone watching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
This isn't related to GoT...

Maya, are you actually on MTF?
I guess I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat__boy View Post

It's been great to see Wendell Pierce, Clarke Peters, Aidan Gillen and Michael K. Williams back on HBO already.
What's MKW in? I only caught him on Community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore View Post
Forgot to answer your question.

It's not on tv here and I don't feel like buying the DVD or search for it online when I have the books right here to keep me amused.
At least you don't have to endure the wait between seasons.
Though you're missing out on the casting excitement. I flipped out (in a positive way) when they cast Iwan Rheon as the-one-whose-name-you-must-remember.
Harmless is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #152
country flag Ben.

Ben. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmless View Post

What's MKW in? I only caught him on Community.
Boardwalk Empire.
Ben. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:48 AM   #153
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Books are brilliant, HBO's adaptation is good, too.
Perhaps a bit too much sexploitation to my liking at times, but still a very good show.

Awwww, dear, naive BoroNed (Sean Bean, what a great actor he is ) in the first season...
Didn't stop me from watching the next season though!

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:29 PM   #154
country flag Harmless

Harmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
Books are brilliant, HBO's adaptation is good, too.
Perhaps a bit too much sexploitation to my liking at times, but still a very good show.

Awwww, dear, naive BoroNed (Sean Bean, what a great actor he is ) in the first season...
Didn't stop me from watching the next season though!
Great to see another reader here. Have you read ASOS and who are you looking forward to seeing in S3?
Harmless is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #155
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Great to see another reader here. Have you read ASOS and who are you looking forward to seeing in S3?
Yep I have, and YES even more, I'm looking forward to S3!

Still have to admit that I will never get over BoroNed's beheading in S1... awwww...
(yep, here's a Sean Bean fan speaking... )

Anathema

Old 09-01-2012, 11:57 PM   #156
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute

I bought the 3rd and 4th books today.

YAAAAY!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #157
Anathemaniac

I've got all five of the books that have been released so far, and damn it's pleasant & entertaining - though cruel! - stuff.

Tyrion. Arya. Jon.

Anathema

Old 09-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #158
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute

I have read all the books and seen the 2 seasons. I really love that series.

I thought season 1 was brilliant, they knew how to adapt the book by making a few minor changes, while at the same time being really true to the books.
Now, I was a little disappointed with some of their choices for season 2. It was amazing too, but I thought they were going too far with the omnipresence of sex. Seriously I don't mind some sex and violence, and there is already a lot of it in the book, but I think that precisely, there's quite enough, no need to try and add even more whenever there's an opportunity... They were also making some really unnecessary changes, and I even thought that some of the dialogues were poorly written (Danaerys and her great speeches, or Theon Greyjoy who had some really bad lines)

In the adaptation, what I dislike the most is their tendency to try and make absolutely EVERYTHING clear and explicit (especially if it involves more sex).
*Possible SPOILERS*
What I mean by that is, the book has a lot of small mysteries (often regarding who slept with who etc) and Martin is careful not to say clearly whether one hypothesis is truer than the other.
Examples include: -Renly being gay and his implied relationship with Loras Tyrell (that's what I bothered me the most, mainly because I liked Renly and they completely changed his character to turn him into a blatant gay stereotype)
-Stannis and Melisandre being lovers
-Margaery Tyrell's claim that Renly did not consumate their marriage
-Also Margaery's attitude: in the books, you never really know whether she is truly a very chaste girl or if she's just a libertine who sleeps around with everyone and is just good at hiding it. Now I have a hunch that in the series, they're definitely going for the "slutty" option...

Otherwise, I love everything else. The soundtrack, the settings, the costumes are absolutely perfect. And the cast is really very close to perfection, as well (I agree with other people that Arya in particular is incredible).

What I love the most about A Song of Ice and Fire is the quality of the characterization. None of the characters is 100% lovable, and yet, you just love all of them. I mean, it would be impossible for me to select one favourite character, and when I start thinking about it, I realize that I love ALL the characters.
Ned, Catelyn, Cersei, Jaime, Tyrion, Littlefinger, Danaerys, Arya, Sansa, Jon, Stannis... I don't know, in their own way, they're all perfect. Even the bad ones are perfect, I can't say I "love" Joffrey, but God, do I love to hate him!
Sophitia36 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #159
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute

BTW. I still don't know whether this is absolutely awesome, or awful, or creepy... But it just kills me everytime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEg4SEch27w
Old 09-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #160
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Red and Purple Weddings

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #161
country flag Sophitia36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirata. View Post
Red and Purple Weddings
LOL how sadistic!

I'm looking forward to the Jaime/Brienne trip. And then, to be honest, I don't remember what happens in which book!
Old 09-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #162
country flag jmjhb

jmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond repute

Got to admit that book 5 was an absolute chore, I'm totally bored with what's happening at the Wall and in Meereen.

Singles rank: #110
Doubles rank: #31

Singles: W: Houston 2013, Montpellier 2014 F: Bucharest 2013, Kitzbühel 2012 SF: US Open 2011

Doubles (w/Goldenoldie): W: Le Gosier CH 2013 F AO 2014 SF: (w/Goldenoldie)

Other: W: WTC Dusseldorf 2012
jmjhb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #163
country flag Tommy_Vercetti

Tommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. GRRM really dropped the ball by extending the series so long. It was supposed to be three books. It will be like eight books at least now, whatever he says. And really contrived crap to bring it all to a head. I don't know why he had to have 100 subplots going on.

Last edited by Tommy_Vercetti : 09-07-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Tommy_Vercetti is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:31 AM   #164
country flag Thunder Hoad

Thunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond repute

Storm of Swords is like a midpoint where he could pay off certain storylines. He needed the next book(s) to move the chess pieces into position for the push to the finale. Could they have been less spinning the wheel? Probably but there was no realistic way for the series to maintain the SOS momentum. I expect the next book to ramp things up again a little and for a pretty good final book because he's had the ending in his head for a while.
Thunder Hoad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #165
country flag Sophitia36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Vercetti View Post
Yeah. GRRM really dropped the ball by extended the series so long. It will be like eight books at least now, whatever he says. And really contrived crap to bring it all to a head. I don't know why he had to have 100 subplots going on.
Yeah, I love the books, but I have to agree with that. The strengths of GRRM's series are also its weaknesses.

I love having many, many characters, and most of them are great, but still, there are too many of them. Unless you're a true book fanatic, there are necessarily going to be guys you don't remember anything about, or simply people you don't care about.

And the "point of view" narration is a great device, but it also means that sometimes you have to follow certain characters to places where there's just not much happening.
I was really bored with Arya in her crazy temple and with some parts of Danaerys's story (actually in the last book I thought it was becoming more interesting), although I love both characters.