A prison in Norway. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-20-2015, 06:27 AM   #1
country flag Nole Rules

Nole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond repute
Default A prison in Norway.

Quote:
The maximum sentence in Norway, even for murder, is 21 years. Since most inmates will eventually return to society, prisons mimic the outside world as much as possible to prepare them for freedom. At Halden, rooms include en-suite bathrooms with ceramic tiles, mini-fridges and flat-screen TVs. Officials say sleeker televisions afford inmates less space to hide drugs and other contraband.

Quote:
Every 10 to 12 cells share a kitchen and living room, where prisoners prepare their evening meals and relax after a day of work. None of the windows at Halden have bars. Photo taken 2010.

Quote:
Security guards organize activities from 8:00 in the morning until 8:00 in the evening. It's a chance for inmates to pick up a new hobby, but it's also a part of the prison's dynamic security strategy: occupied prisoners are less likely to lash out at guards and one another. Inmates can shoot hoops on this basketball court, which absorbs falls on impact, and make use of a rock-climbing wall, jogging trails and a soccer field. Photo taken 2010.

Quote:
There's also a recording studio with a professional mixing board. In-house music teachers — who refer to the inmates as "pupils," never "prisoners" — work with their charges on piano, guitar, bongos and more. Three members of Halden's security-guard chorus recently competed on Norway's version of American Idol. They hope to produce the prison's first musical — starring inmates — later this year.

Quote:
Halden's architects preserved trees across the 75-acre site to obscure the 20-ft.-high security wall that surrounds the perimeter, in order to minimize the institutional feel and, in the words of one architect, to "let the inmates see all of the seasons." Benches and stone chessboards dot this jogging trail. Photo taken 2010.

Quote:
Norway's prison guards undergo two years of training at an officers' academy and enjoy an elevated status compared with their peers in the U.S. and Britain. Their official job description says they must motivate the inmate "so that his sentence is as meaningful, enlightening and rehabilitating as possible," so they frequently eat meals and play sports with prisoners. At Halden, half of all guards are female, which its governor believes reduces tension and encourages good behavior. Photo taken 2010.

Quote:
Norwegian inmates lose their right to freedom but not to state services like health care. Dentists, doctors, nurses and even librarians work in the local municipality, preventing a subpar prison standard from developing. On-site, Halden boasts a small hospital and this state-of-the-art dentist's office.

Quote:
To help inmates develop routines and to reduce the monotony of confinement, designers spread Halden's living quarters, work areas and activity centers across the prison grounds. In this "kitchen laboratory," inmates learn the basics of nutrition and cooking. On a recent afternoon, homemade orange sorbet and slices of tropical fruit lined the table. Prisoners can take courses that will prepare them for careers as caterers, chefs and waiters.
http://content.time.com/time/photoga...137374,00.html

Prison my ass. Murderers/Rapists don't deserve this.

Djokovic - Zverev - Tipsarevic - Tomic - Gulbis - Del Potro - Cilic - Nishikori - Kyrgios - Lacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenadal View Post
When it comes to backhand slices, Bernard Tomic is your man. This is the kinda guy who can slice bread with a tennis racquet and leave it in an edible state. Bernard's slice backhand isn't just a groundstroke; it's a complete overhaul of the very fundamentals and mechanics that build tennis. You thought Nadal could get high RPM? This thing has so much slice you'd swear you're playing in hurricane. Bernard's slice is the most lethal shot in sport. It'll hit you like a spiked drink in a Brisbane nightclub.
Nole Rules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2015, 06:41 AM   #2
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A prison in Norway.

Looks much better than my apartment.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:47 AM   #3
country flag Mimi

Mimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
Looks much better than my apartment.
me too, just the room is almost as large as my whole apartment

good to be prisoners in Norway. My friend told me that the one who killed more than 70 students in 2012 has a staff to play sports with him coz they fear that he will get bored by himself. Too kind to these criminals look stupid for me

Epic movies, like brokeback mountain, are seldom found in the industry or worthy for the mainstream viewer. As often as I have watched the clips of this movie, I always find something more to it. For one, the gay stuff doesn't enter the picture for me, only the dimension of the highest love I have ever witnessed in life or on film.
Mimi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:47 AM   #4
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

How can I sign up?

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #5
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't advertise for it. It's completely full already and we have a big waiting list hoping to get in soon. The other ones aren't like this, it's brand new. We can't afford to build enough of them (go figure).
vBookie net amount won: 34080 (2015: + 2910, 2014: +24475, 2013: +6795, 2012: -100)
TT singles rank 59 (high 52), Titles: Memphis 2015.... TT doubles rank 42 (high 40). Titles: Quito 2015 (w/scarecrows)
Detailed Tennis Tipping and DTT results

Member of Tennis Tipping board and Suicide Tennis board
Litotes is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:02 AM   #6
country flag Ace Pounder

Ace Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond repute

At least they try different things, they think outside the box.

As far as I know, the traditional prisons have never changed anybody, or way too rarely. Most of those in prisons will repeat their mistakes when they'll be released.
By offering them a chance to live in a semi-confined space where they actually take care of them and try to guide them in a new life-style that is good for everyone, I believe the chances of actually changing their bad side is higher than in 'normal' prisons, where they often become even more paranoid, aggressive, where they make future plans with inmates, where they hate the system and governments even more. In such prisons like the one shown above, you show the prisoners that you believe they can change, you restore a mutual confidence between system and individuals, that was broken or that never existed in the first place.

Now, I get it, some people do not even have a tenth of what's invested in those prisons (those people are rare in Norway anyway). But think again: take the ecenomy as a parameter, the social progress, the education, the integration of immigrants, anything... Would you now rather live in the USA or Norway? For all the reasons of the world, I'd choose Norway over the US. Any day.

#JeSuisBernardes
Ace Pounder is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:09 AM   #7
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

^
Well, it's easy to choose Norway over the US, unless you're worried about the low temperatures. I don't think many would choose us over Switzerland, though.
vBookie net amount won: 34080 (2015: + 2910, 2014: +24475, 2013: +6795, 2012: -100)
TT singles rank 59 (high 52), Titles: Memphis 2015.... TT doubles rank 42 (high 40). Titles: Quito 2015 (w/scarecrows)

Old 05-20-2015, 08:10 AM   #8
country flag Yves.

Yves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
^
Well, it's easy to choose Norway over the US, unless you're worried about the low temperatures. I don't think many would choose us over Switzerland, though.
Why not?
Old 05-20-2015, 08:14 AM   #9
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves. View Post
Why not?
Well, they have a better economy and more central location, placed right in the heart of Europe. More competent politicians also, at least so it seems from a distance.

Of course, if you aim for prison Norway might be a better choice.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:17 AM   #10
country flag Yves.

Yves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond reputeYves. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, they have a better economy and more central location, placed right in the heart of Europe. More competent politicians also, at least so it seems from a distance.

Switzerland's economy is more diverse I think yeah. Norway's seems focused on oil and salmon.

From what I've read Iceland is an even better place for prisoners. Prisoners only sleep in the prison, during the day they go to work in the public.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:18 AM   #11
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

We also are the happiest

http://qz.com/390827/the-happiest-co...-world-ranked/
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:22 AM   #12
country flag Ace Pounder

Ace Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

The Swiss case is all really debatable. Because the image projected by the medias is not completely honest. It always shows banking, banking, banking, financial places, banking again, some cows, Alps and ski, Rolex, banks, Federer, the usual stu - oh, and did I mention banks?

There is also poverty in Switzerland, there is a lot of discrimination against strangers and neighbour countries and individuals working in Switzerland, they create problems that do not even exist to begin with and blame it all on strangers, etc. I could go on forever, but you wouldn't understand, because the ideal country that Switzerland is supposed to be only exists in the medias. Of course, it's going a lot better than 99.9% of the countries in the world, but it isn't heaven on Earth, far from it.

#JeSuisBernardes
Ace Pounder is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:23 AM   #13
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves. View Post
Switzerland's economy is more diverse I think yeah. Norway's seems focused on oil and salmon.

From what I've read Iceland is an even better place for prisoners. Prisoners only sleep in the prison, during the day they go to work in the public.
We're going to get a gigantic headache economically as the oil revenue starts running down. We've already exploited most of the available oil. Sure, they'll find some more, but it won't last forever, and when it ends we'll have little to fall back on. Politicians have known this for long but are unable to do anything constructive about it.

Icelanders are very closely related to Norwegians. It's mainly populated by descendants of Norwegian vikings. I guess in many ways we still think alike.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:38 AM   #14
country flag robbery47

robbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond reputerobbery47 has a reputation beyond repute

And how feel the norwegian victims, if they see how their criminals can enjoy themselves in some sort of community paradise?
Old 05-20-2015, 08:44 AM   #15
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbery47 View Post
And how feel the norwegian victims, if they see how their criminals can enjoy themselves in some sort of community paradise?
Many of them hate it. They also hate our short sentences, living in fear of the perpetrator repeating his actions, especially in cases of violent crimes.