richest tennis player families - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-23-2011, 02:17 AM   #16
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: richest tennis player families

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
Aren't most tennis players from well-off families?
yes, of course. tennis is quite expensive, hence it's no surprise to see that most of the great players have come from rich nations or from well off familities in not-so-rich nations.

still, there are exceptions. most of the players coming from the former soviet satellites and former yugoslavia aren't rich by any means. milos raonic practiced at low-demand hours to pay a lower price, ljubicic was a war refugee in italy, lucksaks family didn't have it easy in oz, mirnyi was shit poor when he arrived to america, etc...

from south america, most have come from relatively wealthy families. i think gaudios family was working class. collarini probably wasnt too wealthy given that he decided to sell out to the yanks.

from oz, i think rafter's family was working class and he had a lot of siblings. i'm not sure about hewitt. ive read in some sites the 'cashed up bogan' tag...

Last edited by abraxas21 : 04-23-2011 at 02:43 AM.
abraxas21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 02:33 AM   #17
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Cańas wasn't from a wealthy background. Hewitt's dad played Aussie football and worked in the home loans area.

Matosevic isn't rich. Verdasco's dad owns a few restaurants in Madrid.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:34 AM   #18
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Move this to non-tennis.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:43 AM   #19
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Verdasco's family is pretty upper-middle or upper class, they own at least three restaurants in Madrid and he had two tennis courts in his backyard, not many normal middle class families can afford that.

I saw Gulbis' dad in the hotel in Cincinnati, you'd never know this guy was a billionaire, he goes to the breakfast buffet in the same dirty t-shirt and sweatpants four mornings in a row and looks like a homeless slob
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:45 AM   #20
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

Tomic's dad was a bus/taxi driver and mom is a biomedical scientist but worked as a nurse. I doubt they were very rich.

Before Gulbis it was Martin Verkerk the richest guy on tour, and just like Gulbis, never had to try because of his dad who had some trash sorting company or something similar. Verkerk admitted in the interviews he just traveled the world for pleasure and not to play tennis, he was permanently drunk or high because he never had to care about anything. At one day he told himself he couldn't live like this anymore and... fluked that RG final! And then was celebrating the success for so long until he fell into obscurity again.

I wonder if Gulbis can ever be such a one slam wonder

I actually find it funny you will find these rich chaps playing futures, maybe sometimes even challengers, but they don't break through. Instead you will get stories like Davydenko's, who had to eat potatoes every day to save up after he emigrated to Germany, or El Aynaoui's, who had to clean the gym at Bolletieri's to afford practising there. Or Dustin Brown's who was a model to collect funds fo tennis trips.

Maybe these things make you stronger, when this is your only hope you cling to and you don't have a safe landing guaranteed, if to compare people with the same amount of talent.

i want something else to get me through this life....
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:50 AM   #21
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

I heard from another tennis player that Fognini's father is a real playboy.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:52 AM   #22
country flag tennisfan856

tennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond repute

Any scoop on Soderling or Berdych? I have never seen their parents at any tennis events.
tennisfan856 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:00 AM   #23
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Söderling's dad is a lawyer. Berdman's dad worked for Czech railways as an engineer and mother is a doctor.

The Rochus brothers weren't lacking dad is doctor and mother a dentist.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:36 AM   #24
country flag tests

tests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slumpdasco View Post
Verdasco's family is pretty upper-middle or upper class, they own at least three restaurants in Madrid and he had two tennis courts in his backyard, not many normal middle class families can afford that.

I saw Gulbis' dad in the hotel in Cincinnati, you'd never know this guy was a billionaire, he goes to the breakfast buffet in the same dirty t-shirt and sweatpants four mornings in a row and looks like a homeless slob

haha. Yea i never said he is for sure a billioniare... just from what i have read. But yea.. it seems like that a lot of wealthy guys don't spend a lot of their money (maybe because they realize how difficult it is to earn money) vs someone who maybe inherits it?
tests is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:39 AM   #25
country flag tests

tests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond reputetests has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
Tomic's dad was a bus/taxi driver and mom is a biomedical scientist but worked as a nurse. I doubt they were very rich.

Before Gulbis it was Martin Verkerk the richest guy on tour, and just like Gulbis, never had to try because of his dad who had some trash sorting company or something similar. Verkerk admitted in the interviews he just traveled the world for pleasure and not to play tennis, he was permanently drunk or high because he never had to care about anything. At one day he told himself he couldn't live like this anymore and... fluked that RG final! And then was celebrating the success for so long until he fell into obscurity again.

I wonder if Gulbis can ever be such a one slam wonder

I actually find it funny you will find these rich chaps playing futures, maybe sometimes even challengers, but they don't break through. Instead you will get stories like Davydenko's, who had to eat potatoes every day to save up after he emigrated to Germany, or El Aynaoui's, who had to clean the gym at Bolletieri's to afford practising there. Or Dustin Brown's who was a model to collect funds fo tennis trips.

Maybe these things make you stronger, when this is your only hope you cling to and you don't have a safe landing guaranteed, if to compare people with the same amount of talent.

great post.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:40 AM   #26
country flag tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
I heard from another tennis player that Fognini's father is a real playboy.

Really? Most playboys are rich as fuck. What does his father do?
Old 04-23-2011, 03:44 AM   #27
country flag martine wagoner
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

martine wagoner has a reputation beyond reputemartine wagoner has a reputation beyond reputemartine wagoner has a reputation beyond reputemartine wagoner has a reputation beyond reputemartine wagoner has a reputation beyond reputemartine wagoner has a reputation beyond reputemartine wagoner has a reputation beyond reputemartine wagoner has a reputation beyond reputemartine wagoner has a reputation beyond reputemartine wagoner has a reputation beyond reputemartine wagoner has a reputation beyond repute

Great factoid. Never knew that about Novak. It makes his success as an athlete and finacial "mogul" even more amazing.
martine wagoner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:55 AM   #28
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tests View Post
Really? Most playboys are rich as fuck. What does his father do?
No idea.

But apparently he travels in a private plane, etc.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #29
country flag barbadosan

barbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfan856 View Post
Any scoop on Soderling or Berdych? I have never seen their parents at any tennis events.
Soderling's parents were at his first FO final, as far as I remember. He also acknowledged them in his podium speech afterwards

Respectfully,
masterclass

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Richard Cook
barbadosan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #30
country flag Stelle

Stelle has a reputation beyond reputeStelle has a reputation beyond reputeStelle has a reputation beyond reputeStelle has a reputation beyond reputeStelle has a reputation beyond reputeStelle has a reputation beyond reputeStelle has a reputation beyond reputeStelle has a reputation beyond reputeStelle has a reputation beyond reputeStelle has a reputation beyond reputeStelle has a reputation beyond repute

I heard Gulbis' Dad is the 3rd richest in Latvia but I am not 100%...About his father wearing the same shirt 4 days in a row etc...I would be surprised if it is true - as at every match of Ernests' he is very well dressed in a suit...

Dinara Safina ~ Sorana Cirstea ~ Marin Cilic ~ Sabine Lisiki~ Philipp Kohlshrieber ~ Gilles Simon ~ Ryan Harrison ~ Gisela Dulko ~ Fernando Verdasco ~
Stelle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote