Vasek Pospisil - Page 41 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #601
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vasek Pospisil

Hope he can make the main draw. Would it be his first MD outside of the Rogers Cup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #602
country flag FormerRafaFan

FormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond repute

What is the point of him trying out for MD's all of a sudden? I understand he wants to follow in Milos' footsteps, but it's WAY too early.. it's premature. I don't get why he's jumping almost directly from futures to MD's? he spent forever in the futures level, and a fairly short amount of time on the challenger level, where he only got so-so results. Before you say anything, yes.. I know this is basically the case of Milos, but Milos was a special case, Vasek is not Milos. Vasek needs more time to develop his game. What makes he think he's good enough to beat players regularly in the MD when he can't even beat guys in challengers? Uhm.. something is is seriously screwed up with his logic here.

I am a fan of Vasek, and I think he can reach the MD, and beat guys there in time, but not now.. it's just too soon

Also supporting known chokers Verdasco, Lopez and Monaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbERR View Post
Verdasco was their cheerleader, number one mascot.
They let him play tennis once after they saw his "consistency is everything" advertisement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
Joke thread? Kohlschreiber clowns this servebot in 3.
Maybe 4 or 5 if he wants to get more of a workout in.
FormerRafaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:19 PM   #603
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
What is the point of him trying out for MD's all of a sudden? I understand he wants to follow in Milos' footsteps, but it's WAY too early.. it's premature. I don't get why he's jumping almost directly from futures to MD's? he spent forever in the futures level, and a fairly short amount of time on the challenger level, where he only got so-so results. Before you say anything, yes.. I know this is basically the case of Milos, but Milos was a special case, Vasek is not Milos. Vasek needs more time to develop his game. What makes he think he's good enough to beat players regularly in the MD when he can't even beat guys in challengers? Uhm.. something is is seriously screwed up with his logic here.

I am a fan of Vasek, and I think he can reach the MD, and beat guys there in time, but not now.. it's just too soon
Milos did the same thing last year and it worked, I see nothing wrong with that.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:36 PM   #604
country flag Blarghman

Blarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I would have made precisely the opposite argument. He's coming off a great run of form in the summer, and he's got a have a lot of confidence, might as well take a shot at making and playing in MDs at the end of the season. If things don't work and he struggles, he's got a couple of months of enforced break coming anyways, so either way he'll need to refocus for a new season. I'm really glad to see him taking the chance.
Blarghman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:53 AM   #605
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

First of all in the past 3 years Vasek has played 37 challenger tournaments including main draw and qualies. Guess how many futures he's played? 37. Exactly the same. So he didn't spend forever in the futures level, and little time in challangers. He's only played 8 more futures events in his entire career compared to challengers.

he's played a nice few tournaments on the challenger tour, virtually this entire year and he's 22-11 this year, so that's pretty good success. He hasn't won a tournament or made the finals no but still consistently making QF. Milos on the other hand won like what 9 matches in his challenger tour career? Vasek has played far more challenger matches than Milos did. And with his consistent results, I see nothing wrong with him taking a couple shots in ATP qualies towards the end of the year when draws are weaker and he's playing on a surface that probably suits his game. Also this is the exactl same thing that Milos did last year. Nobody knew that he was gonna light it up, but that's why you take a shot at it, look what happened, he hasn't looked back to the challanger tour since. Vasek seems to up his game when playing better competition, or that's what his results tend to show, he might light it up and never go back too, or he might not, you won't know unless you take that shot. We're not talking about Pere Riba or Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo, play challengers that suit your game until you're ranked top 50 and then flounder on the main tour.

And if there's something wrong with Vasek trying ATP qualies then there has got to be something wrong with 95% of the people who play ATP qualies, just look at Stockholm or Moscow qualies, Vasek would beat the large majority of them, so why don't they just play challangers unti;l they're ready too?

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:57 AM   #606
country flag 2eazy

2eazy has a reputation beyond repute2eazy has a reputation beyond repute2eazy has a reputation beyond repute2eazy has a reputation beyond repute2eazy has a reputation beyond repute2eazy has a reputation beyond repute2eazy has a reputation beyond repute2eazy has a reputation beyond repute2eazy has a reputation beyond repute2eazy has a reputation beyond repute2eazy has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like a great time for vasek to take a chance when he has no points to defend and i think its time for him to make the progression of starting to play atp qualis. Hes 132 in the world there is nothing premature about this decision. Also the jump to atp is always much easier for players like vasek and milos who have big weapons that get them free points
2eazy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #607

FormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond repute

Guys.. did you not read what I wrote? I said I know Milos basically skipped the challenger level and went right to the 250 and 500 events, that doesn't mean Vasek is able to make a smooth transition like Milos. They're not one person. And again, like I said.. Milos was a special case, you can't expect everyone to make it like Milos did.

I am not a hater. I believe Vasek can do it in the future, but I still think it's premature for him to do well in the smaller ATP events. I just don't think he's ready yet. His game is not good enough yet to beat guys in the smaller ATP events. Sorry, it's just my opinion. I think it would have been smarter for him to compete at the challenger level a little while longer.

We'll see who's right soon enough I guess I do hope I'm wrong, of course.. I hope Vasek can prove me wrong. I want him to do well. But at the same time I'm being realistic, seems to me that some people on here are being WAY too optimistic and hypes him like there's no tomorrow. You have to admit that Vasek is a bit overrated on here, compared to the game he has. You have you head buried in the sand if you can't see the many flaws in his game. And please be honest with yourself: do you think he'll be able to beat guys at the ATP 250 tour? Think about that for a while, try to be objective. Like I said.. I see a lot of potential in the guy, I really do, but I still think this is a bit premature. I think he should try and get better, try and develop his game further, make some more progress on the challenger level before the 250 events. Again, this is just my opinion, you are free to disagree.

We'll see who's right though

Quote:
They let him play tennis once after they saw his "consistency is everything" advertisement.
Quote:
Old 10-21-2011, 04:39 PM   #608
country flag Blarghman

Blarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Guys.. did you not read what I wrote? I said I know Milos basically skipped the challenger level and went right to the 250 and 500 events, that doesn't mean Vasek is able to make a smooth transition like Milos. They're not one person. And again, like I said.. Milos was a special case, you can't expect everyone to make it like Milos did.
I think you are placing WAY too much significance on this. You act as if Vasek is going to exclusively try to qualify for ATP events the rest of his career. In reality, he's trying out for ATP events for two weeks. I'm not saying Vasek will for sure succeed at the ATP level, but I think, given his good form and confidence, and the end of the season coming, it's worth a shot. Also, look at the damn schedule. There's only a clay challenger in Brazil next week, which he wouldn't play anyway, so in reality he's only opting to replace one US challenger with two ATP tries. Don't act like he's giving up months worth of challengers or something.

And when has anyone implied that he's going to have the same success as Milos? You keep saying that as if we all expect him to be winning these tournaments, but you are the only one even implying that.

It's entirely possible he could lose first round qualies in both his tries - that doesn't mean it wasn't worth a shot, because the cost is relatively little. If that happens, and you try to claim that that somehow makes me wrong and you right, then you aren't comprehending what I'm saying at all.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #609
country flag ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You're proving our point though - no one ever expected Milos to be a special case. And the fact he blew up this year and did so well from the Australian on is due in large part I think to the fact he got a taste of the competition at the ATP level earlier. If Vasek is serious about making a push into the top 100 next year - and he's pretty much there at this point - he needs to continue measuring himself against this level of competition.

Additionally, measuring whether or not Vasek has succeeded or made the right decision is not be to done by comparing him directly to Milos. As you yourself point out, they're not one person
ibreak4coffee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarghman View Post
I think you are placing WAY too much significance on this. You act as if Vasek is going to exclusively try to qualify for ATP events the rest of his career. In reality, he's trying out for ATP events for two weeks. I'm not saying Vasek will for sure succeed at the ATP level, but I think, given his good form and confidence, and the end of the season coming, it's worth a shot. Also, look at the damn schedule. There's only a clay challenger in Brazil next week, which he wouldn't play anyway, so in reality he's only opting to replace one US challenger with two ATP tries. Don't act like he's giving up months worth of challengers or something.
I just think it's a bad idea to miss challengers and quite a few points he needs, to try and succeed on the ATP tour, when he probably won't, and will only end up losing a lot of points he could have gotten, and probably would have, on the challenger tour.

I mean.. fine, this week, if there's only a clay tournament, it doesn't hurt trying out for the MD, but he shouldn't make this a regular thing, because he's not good enough yet, and should continue on the challenger level a little while longer until his game is more polished, and he has more of a chance to beat better and higher players.

And to the bold part - just like people on here was soooo sure he'd win against Sweeting, right? I'm just saying.. sometimes you overhype the guy. It's great you have confidence in the kid, but try and be a bit realistic at the same time. He was successful and he has done well (tough nothing overtly good either) on the challenger tour, but the smaller ATP events are a totally different beast. So what if he's good on the challenger tour (not that he has been GREAT there either), does that mean he'll be good on the ATP tour? No, and he probably won't be. My bet is that he'll lose his first match in the MD if he ever gets in. Of course I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so. He won't get past R2 though, that's for sure, if he actually does manage to have a fluke win.

Quote:
And when has anyone implied that he's going to have the same success as Milos? You keep saying that as if we all expect him to be winning these tournaments, but you are the only one even implying that.
r u new here? basically EVERYONE here said Vasek was a better player than Milos, a better vollier, blah blah, had more potential etc. like I said.. everyone here has been hyping him for months, and it will only come back and bite them in the ass. Oh well.. at least they'll get a reality check.

It's entirely possible he could lose first round qualies in both his tries - that doesn't mean it wasn't worth a shot, because the cost is relatively little. If that happens, and you try to claim that that somehow makes me wrong and you right, then you aren't comprehending what I'm saying at all.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibreak4coffee View Post
You're proving our point though - no one ever expected Milos to be a special case. And the fact he blew up this year and did so well from the Australian on is due in large part I think to the fact he got a taste of the competition at the ATP level earlier. If Vasek is serious about making a push into the top 100 next year - and he's pretty much there at this point - he needs to continue measuring himself against this level of competition.

Additionally, measuring whether or not Vasek has succeeded or made the right decision is not be to done by comparing him directly to Milos. As you yourself point out, they're not one person
Milos was a special case. But what is the likelihood of that happening again.. do you really think that will happen twice? I seriously doubt it... lighting doesn't strike twice. Just saying.. try not to have too high expectations, you'll only end up disappointed in the end. It's great that you have confidence in him, but at least try to be somewhat realistic here.

I'm not saying Vasek shoudln't try out for the 250 events, he should, of course.. but not now, it's too early. He needs to play on the challenger level a while longer to polish his game, then when his game is better, he can try out for the 250 events if he feel like, and will probably win more matches then than he will trying out for the 250 events now, I just think it's too soon. I think it's a bad mistake to miss challenger points when he probably won't pick up point on the ATP tour.

I'm not even expecting him to be as good as Milos, so I probably won't hold him to so higb standard, and measure his success on Milos' accomplishments, I won't do that. But what is the point in going for the MD when he'll probably end up losing and then also lose some much needed point to advance in the rankings? that is the point I'm trying to make here. I want him to go for the 250 events, maybe sometime next year, but I want him to stay on the challenger level now, and polish his game, gain some points.. then when he's good enough he can go for the 250's next year.

But whatever.. it's useless to try and discuss this because we'll never see eye to eye on this. We will never agree anyway, so I think we should just leave it. Like I said.. we'll see who's right soon enough anyway.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #611
country flag Blarghman

Quote:
I just think it's a bad idea to miss challengers and quite a few points he needs, to try and succeed on the ATP tour, when he probably won't, and will only end up losing a lot of points he could have gotten, and probably would have, on the challenger tour.

I'm not saying Vasek shoudln't try out for the 250 events, he should, of course.. but not now, it's too early. He needs to play on the challenger level a while longer to polish his game, then when his game is better, he can try out for the 250 events if he feel like, and will probably win more matches then than he will trying out for the 250 events now, I just think it's too soon. I think it's a bad mistake to miss challenger points when he probably won't pick up point on the ATP tour.
What points is he missing? One event in Charlottesville. If he doesn't have success, and yet continues going for 250s at the start of 2012, then you'd have a point, but we don't know that yet. Again, you seem to think that if Vasek fails that makes you right and me wrong, when I didn't say anything about whether he'd succeed. In reality, I just think it's a chance worth taking.

He'll open against Kumantsov tomorrow, then a wild card or Albot, then probably Kudryatsev. Should get through the first two without problem.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #612
country flag shuhrat

shuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond repute

QR1: def. Kumantsov 7-5, 1-0 Ret'd.

Next up Radu Albot (MDA)
shuhrat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #613
country flag shuhrat

shuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond repute

7-5, 4-6, 6-3 Quite tight match, though it doesn't look like that by the number of the total pts won in each set.

In the opening service game of the final set, save 4BPs and then get broken on the 5th, playing 18 pts. Then break back to love immediately. Face a BP at *3-3 and one more at *5-3

QFR: Kudryavtsev
Old 10-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #614
country flag shuhrat

6-2, 6-3
Down a break twice in the 2nd (0-1*, 2-3*) but manage to even the score right after in both cases.

R1 spots for qualifiers : Cilic, Seppi, Tursunov, Chardy.

Last edited by shuhrat : 10-24-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #615
country flag m9m9m9m9m9

m9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond reputem9m9m9m9m9 has a reputation beyond repute

yessssss!
the only thing gets me worried is getting broken twice in a fast surface..
Any of the first round matchup will be super tough
m9m9m9m9m9 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote