Peter Polansky - Page 31 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #451
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Peter Polansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post
Why would he play Fergana? That's on hard court, he's playing the french qualies next week. It makes so much more sense to play a clay event even if that's a future especially because he played a hard court event last week. Fergana is also quite far from Paris, don't want him to be jet lagged.
This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by misty1 View Post
really he's in the top 200 and he's playing a futures event of this level? he is not lacking in confidence and his ranking is cvlose to his career high right now. He really should not be there

i get he wants clay prep but ...playing such low level competition really isnt going to be that helpful and there are other clay events avaiable that he could have tried. Or maybe instead of playing on hard last week he could have played a clay event

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Janowicz, Kohlschreiber, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters, but firstly just the game itself.
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #452
country flag mayumashu

mayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond repute

The choice to play the Romania Futures is very solid. He gets two rounds with minnows (but clay courters) to find his feet, but then from the quarters on are guys who play Challenger level or near (Marcan, Gawron or Luckas, and Albot, Gutierrez-Ferrol, or Copil), and all these guys are dirt ballers.
mayumashu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:34 AM   #453
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
really he's in the top 200 and he's playing a futures event of this level? he is not lacking in confidence and his ranking is cvlose to his career high right now. He really should not be there

i get he wants clay prep but ...playing such low level competition really isnt going to be that helpful and there are other clay events avaiable that he could have tried. Or maybe instead of playing on hard last week he could have played a clay event
15k futures events are actually the smartest way to inflate your ranking and it really seems like he has figured this out to get his ranking up to where it is. Now he has to play 3 tough matches (same as he would play just to qualify in Bordeux) and if he wins them, he gets 27 points.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:41 AM   #454
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwy View Post
15k futures events are actually the smartest way to inflate your ranking and it really seems like he has figured this out to get his ranking up to where it is. Now he has to play 3 tough matches (same as he would play just to qualify in Bordeux) and if he wins them, he gets 27 points.
its just another one of those situations where i feel like futurues are more for guys trying to build their ranking up enough to where they can play challengers and then when they get good enough in challengers start playing the tour
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:53 AM   #455
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

And Peter's ranking isn't hgih enough to get intp Bordeaux.

Normally I'd agree with what you're saying, but 1 week before RG qualies, just coming off of a hard court, he can't get into the only clay challenger this week. It makes loads of sense to play on clay, and get 3 or 4 matches on it, and a future was his only way of doing so

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #456
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post
And Peter's ranking isn't hgih enough to get intp Bordeaux.

Normally I'd agree with what you're saying, but 1 week before RG qualies, just coming off of a hard court, he can't get into the only clay challenger this week. It makes loads of sense to play on clay, and get 3 or 4 matches on it, and a future was his only way of doing so
i guess i cant argue with that, it makes sense.

there's just this part of me that always gets annoyed when guys with peter's rank get down to the future level but i guess with no other options you have to do something.
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:00 AM   #457
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i guess i cant argue with that, it makes sense.

there's just this part of me that always gets annoyed when guys with peter's rank get down to the future level but i guess with no other options you have to do something.
He was passed over twice for the special entry there as well with two players with higher rankings getting the spots.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:10 AM   #458
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How are they the smartest way to inflate it, you barely get any PTS from them, so it's not really that smart, the draws are weak yes, but the PTS are few, weak CH's are the best way to go.

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Janowicz, Kohlschreiber, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters, but firstly just the game itself.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:17 AM   #459
Snowwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J99 View Post
How are they the smartest way to inflate it, you barely get any PTS from them, so it's not really that smart, the draws are weak yes, but the PTS are few, weak CH's are the best way to go.
I disagree.

Winning a 15k+ is 35 points (5 wins)
Winning a 15k futures event is 27 points (5 wins)
Semi-final of a 50k Challenger is 29 points (3 wins)
Semi-final of a 100k Challenger is 35 points (3 wins)
Old 05-18-2012, 02:24 AM   #460
country flag J99

Quote:
I disagree.

Winning a 15k+ is 35 points (5 wins)
Winning a 15k futures event is 27 points (5 wins)
Semi-final of a 50k Challenger is 29 points (3 wins)
Semi-final of a 100k Challenger is 35 points (3 wins)
So you have to win more matches in Futures, and get less PTS, like I said.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #461
Snowwy

Quote:
So you have to win more matches in Futures, and get less PTS, like I said.
Yup, more matches against guys ranked in the 300s instead of the top 100 for the same number of points. 2 wins over guys in the 300 range or 1 win over a guy ranked 85 in the world. What do you think is easier? Same points.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:02 AM   #462
country flag J99

Quote:
Yup, more matches against guys ranked in the 300s instead of the top 100 for the same number of points. 2 wins over guys in the 300 range or 1 win over a guy ranked 85 in the world. What do you think is easier? Same points.
Most guys in the top 100 don't play CH's, take Fergana for example, the top seed there is #136, the rest of the field is #162 or lower, Peter has proven he can get enough PTS and more money at these events.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #463
Snowwy

Quote:
Most guys in the top 100 don't play CH's, take Fergana for example, the top seed there is #136, the rest of the field is #162 or lower, Peter has proven he can get enough PTS and more money at these events.
What about last week when the weakest challenger had 4 players in the top 100?

Fergana is in a silly place in the calendar. To travel from Athens to Fergana it costs $2600, it takes two stops and 23 hours. Do you even consider things like this when you decide where players should be playing or do you assume they have a teleportation device? And then, what about the flight to France, how much do you think that costs? And how long is it, just before qualifying. That is why no one is there.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #464
country flag J99

Quote:
What about last week when the weakest challenger had 4 players in the top 100?

Fergana is in a silly place in the calendar. To travel from Athens to Fergana it costs $2600, it takes two stops and 23 hours. Do you even consider things like this when you decide where players should be playing or do you assume they have a teleportation device? And then, what about the flight to France, how much do you think that costs? And how long is it, just before qualifying. That is why no one is there.
That wasn't last week's weakest CH, Athens where Peter played had 1 player in the top 100, the Brasilian one had 0, the Korean one had 2.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #465
Snowwy

Quote:
That wasn't last week's weakest CH, Athens where Peter played had 1 player in the top 100, the Brasilian one had 0, the Korean one had 2.
But how should a player trying to enter an event know that a challgner that is stronger money wise will have a weaker field. The weakest challenger is always the one with the lowest prize money, regardless of field since players do not know who entered when they enter.