The dilemma of being too good for challengers and not good enough at the ATP level. - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-05-2012, 02:06 AM   #121
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The dilemma of being too good for challengers and not good enough at the ATP leve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
Classic example of the above Filo statement is when Lorenzi beat Paire in Vienna.
That's the match I had in mind when making that comment
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 02:14 AM   #122
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The dilemma of being too good for challengers and not good enough at the ATP leve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
No, it isn't. Lorenzi gets exposed in ATP tournaments but he beats anyone who isn't consistent. Guys with his play style can make a career because he fights and won't beat himself. He makes his opponents beat him. Guys out of the top 50 generally aren't good enough to consistently be offensive without making errors unless they're at the top of their game.
Quote:
There needs to be more money in challengers and more points in ATP Q matches, and ATP R1 slams. And maybe select 10-12 big challengers per season that reward 120 points, and the rest keep at 60. Because the same problems that were happening when I made this thread are still happening. Some of those Asian challengers reward 125 points yet have cutoffs in the 300s.
It's hard to make a living off of an 8-17 record at the ATP level though! I appreciate the way he plays, but he doesn't have the weapons to be consistent at that level.

That sounds fairly good I see a few Challengers with fields way better than the majority of 250's which really shouldn't happen imho...

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kuerten View Post
Freakyman is a mythical figure who went bat shit insane during the 2012 ACC and got himself permbanned and the whole ACC with him.

He then forced an unban by sleeping with the entire moderation crew and these days you can see him post in a mellowed down version, while being under the influence of strong medication.
Freak3yman84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:30 AM   #123
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
It's hard to make a living off of an 8-17 record at the ATP level though! I appreciate the way he plays, but he doesn't have the weapons to be consistent at that level.

That sounds fairly good I see a few Challengers with fields way better than the majority of 250's which really shouldn't happen imho...
I don't think so, name one.

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:37 AM   #124

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by J99 View Post
I don't think so, name one.
This one wasn't half bad: http://www.atpworldtour.com/Share/Ev...?e=2273&y=2012

But now looking at ATP draws, I take that back

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul)

Quote:
Freakyman is a mythical figure who went bat shit insane during the 2012 ACC and got himself permbanned and the whole ACC with him.

He then forced an unban by sleeping with the entire moderation crew and these days you can see him post in a mellowed down version, while being under the influence of strong medication.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:12 AM   #125
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
This one wasn't half bad: http://www.atpworldtour.com/Share/Ev...?e=2273&y=2012

But now looking at ATP draws, I take that back
I know that sometimes the CH draws in the 2nd week of majors and a couple others can be quite good, but I'm sure they still aren't better than the worst 250, cause players in the top 50 at the time can't enter them unless they get a WC, this is probably the best one Dallas 2: http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2012/6486/mds.pdf

Last edited by J99 : 11-05-2012 at 03:21 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:16 AM   #126

Quote:
I know that sometimes the CH draws in the 2nd week of majors can be quite good, but I'm pretty sure they still aren't better than the worst 250.
Well they might actually challenge a tournament like this:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Share/Ev...Id=568&Draw=ms

Quote:

Old 11-05-2012, 03:19 AM   #127
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Bratislava is still better than some of the lower level ATP events.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:35 AM   #128
country flag J99

Quote:
Bratislava is still better than some of the lower level ATP events.
It's not even one of the very best CH's.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:41 AM   #129
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's not even one of the very best CH's.
That shows the level of some of the IS events doesn't it? Not all the 125k events this season were good. Marbella 30K is better than Chennai.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 11-05-2012, 03:47 AM   #130
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
There needs to be more money in challengers and more points in ATP Q matches, and ATP R1 slams. And maybe select 10-12 big challengers per season that reward 120 points, and the rest keep at 60. Because the same problems that were happening when I made this thread are still happening. Some of those Asian challengers reward 125 points yet have cutoffs in the 300s.
Thing with the above while it's all true. The ATP have shown they don't care too much when it comes to this level and won't do anything about it.

The 70-120 spots, there is very little difference between these guys, but they have to live and play a mix between Challengers and ATP events. Klizan, Dog Balls did it to get their ranking up but were able to stay there. The guys like Junqueira, Prodon just aren't good enough.

Bedene will be a good test next season, then you have Kavcic who wins matches on the main tour though normally loses at QF level there, which is about his realistic level when he does well at the moment.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 11-05-2012, 03:47 AM   #131
country flag J99

Quote:
That shows the level of some of the IS events doesn't it? Not all the 125k events this season were good. Marbella 30K is better than Chennai.

What I'm saying is that Bratis isn't really close to trying to compete with the worst 250's, St. Petersburg for example is still better than it.

That's a joke right, cause it's clearly not even close.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:40 AM   #132
country flag Chase Visa

Chase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond repute

With Newport actually looking alright and Joberg dumped I can't think of an ATP event that was worse than a Challenger, except Dallas-2.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:46 AM   #133
country flag J99

Anyhow, I think that Kamke is a player who is probably too good for CH's, yet won't ever make it full time on tour.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:39 AM   #134
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Visa View Post
With Newport actually looking alright and Joberg dumped I can't think of an ATP event that was worse than a Challenger, except Dallas-2.
Newport will go back to its usual level next year. St.Petersburg was pretty poor even if guys I like did well.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 11-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #135
country flag Chase Visa

Chase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Newport will go back to its usual level next year. St.Petersburg was pretty poor even if guys I like did well.
Yeah true that.

Would still take St Petersburg over most Challengers even if it was pretty ordinary.