Frederico Gil - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #76
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frederico Gil

OK, I saw the revised entry list. Ferrero, Youzhny, Machado and Montanes all withdrew. So yes, he actually needs three withdrawals, and there is a pretty decent chance at getting that before next week. Hopefully those withdrawals come and he makes the MD. Miami is a slow court and should suit Fred's game so I can see an R4 appearance or so there.
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #77
country flag Gil&becker

Gil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw the 3rd set against Andreev. Dreadful from Gil, didn´t seem to be on the match. Seems that he played well in the first set, from the comments I saw. But Gil has enough years on the tour to maintain his level, even if he was playing now without audience, coming from thousands watching his match live against Isner in IW (must make a huge difference, but he has to manage it). Now, everything more and more difficult, coming to Miami and then Monte Carlo... Still needs 125 points (just to secure Top-100 and RG direct acceptance) from this two tournaments. Probably left too much to do!
Gil&becker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:13 AM   #78
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

Wawrinka withdrew from Miami, so it's almost sure Fred will make the MD there. He's gonna need to try to make the R4 or so there. I think he can do with with the correct draw, plus not having to play qualifying will help.

Today he played very well for 1.5 sets, but as soon as Andreev started playing a bit better, Fred's game fell way, way off, he lost intensity and he got shaken, a lot like what happened to him several times last season. As I said before, unless he takes a WC into Casablanca, top 100 won't happen for him before the French and he'll have to qualify. Maybe he'll do great again in Monte Carlo, though. If he can make R4 in Miami he won't have to do as much in Monte Carlo to get 125 points. It will be difficult and I don't see it happening, but I'll be hopeful.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #79
country flag Gil&becker

Gil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond repute

Gil is now confirmed in Barcelona. So, he decided to play Monte Carlo Qualies, Barcelona and Estoril, after DC. All bets on Estoril Open. He refused the easy points in Casablanca and Bucharest, to be closer to Portugal, and playing just a few torunamnts, to rest for Estoril. He prefered Barcelona, which is one and a half hour away from Lisbon, but just few points to catch (90 at the very best), over Bucharest, better chances of 90+ points, but a longer flight, with one stop at least. He is going for the big achievment again at home, were he plays his best tennis. If no other big name is added in the meanwhile, he has a chance of reaching the finals, if he isn´t placed in the same half as Del Potro. And then all the second part of the season is there to secure the needed points to get back to Top75. But he will have to work his intensity in the smaller torunaments, which he'll play more frequently after Estoril.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #80
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

He loves Estoril and consistently plays well there, so hopefully he turns it on again at home, gets a comfortable draw and does damage. Doing well there will give him a good seed if he has to play French Open qualifying and, of course, situate himself well to move back up the rankings during the summer.

Fred got into the Miami MD today with Tursunov and Volandri withdrawing. Hopefully he gets an easy draw and can make a big run here. An R4 performance I think is very possible with the right draw and these courts are slow, and should favor Fred. A big run here will mean he won't have as much pressure to defend his points in Monte Carlo. Hopefully he shakes off this last loss to Andreev and has a great week in Florida coming up!
Old 03-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #81
country flag Gil&becker

Things got worse for Gil now, with the new ranks, that reflect his poor performance in Dallas. I think he needs about 170 points to secure a place at RG. So, needs R4 at Miami and R3 at Monte Carlo. Almost impossible, so I see him more and more at RG qualy. But let's hope for the best.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:30 AM   #82
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Fred will play Bellucci in the first round of Miami. He has no realistic chance at the fourth round as Tsonga will be standing in his way to get there. If he beats Bellucci his R2 opponent would be Kohlschreiber. Third round is a possibility if his form is high, as both Bellucci and Kohlschreiber are highly inconsistent players. A third round performance would give Fred 45 points, meaning he would have a total of 650 points overall. Since he isn't currently playing Casablanca, he basically has to repeat or come close to repeating his performance last season in Monte Carlo to remain in the top 100. Not playing Casablanca essentially ruins his chance of keeping his top 100 spot unless he takes a WC there or into a challenger in the meantime, which is possible.

The positive thing is Fred will almost definitely be within the top 125-140 if he loses all of his Monte Carlo points. He's done enough to salvage a decent enough ranking where he'll probably be seeded for RG qualifying. And he's in a good position to make quick forward progress in the rankings after Monte Carlo. We simply have to hope he continues his good form of this season overall and keeps making progress.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #83
country flag Gil&becker

Great win for Gil, against Belluci in Miami. Solid result. Hope he makes R3 here and in Monte Carlo, which should be enough to secure RG direct acceptance. It's possible, with decent draw, since he's playing really well. Go Gil!
Old 03-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #84
country flag sfar

sfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond repute

He's had a good beginning of season, I didn't expect it. Hope he does not choke after Estoril, he made a horrible end of 2011 season, he just survived around 100th ranking because of Montecarlo's points...

Tennis Tipping
Best rankings:
Singles: 132 (18/06/2012)
Doubles: 88 (06/08/2012)
sfar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #85
country flag Gil&becker

Miracle needed now. Gil lost in 2nd round of Miami, so now he would need another QF at Monte Carlo, even more difficut than last year, due to entry-list. His problem was in February, several oportunities that he didn´t take in South America clay-swing. So, he will be out of Top-100 and playing RG qualies. He's playing well, so he definitely has a chance at getting back rapidly to Top-100, but he will have to adapt to play some CH and some qualies... Go Gil!!
Old 03-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #86
country flag Gil&becker

After Monte Carlo, if he maintains the decision not to play Casablanca,he will be somewhere from 105 to 130 place in the ranks. A lot to climb back, but "just" about 100-130 points from Top100, even if he starts from 130th place. Go Gil!
Old 03-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #87
country flag sfar

sfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond reputesfar has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if he manages to stay in the top 115, it is very likely that he makes it to RG main draw.

Tennis Tipping
Best rankings:
Old 03-25-2012, 02:35 AM   #88
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Top 115 isn't gonna cut it. Top 105-110 could do so, however. Ljubicic and Soderling won't be playing RG, so the real MD cutoff ranking before protected ranking players will be #106. Fred needs to take a WC into Casablanca. I still believe it, and I think not doing so is a mistake. But since it doesn't appear it will happen, he needs to qualify and win a couple matches in the MD of Monte Carlo. He needs to defend at least half his points, and if he can do that, he'll have a shot at the French Open cutoff. He's at 630 points overall, defending half would put him in the 510-515 range (with his 20 pts from Casablanca off). That would put him around #109 right now, which is right at the borderline between making it/missing it. So it's very very close, we can only be hopeful.

Davis Cup is up next, though, GL to the team vs Israel!
Old 03-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #89
country flag sfar

You're right, cut-off is 96th, not 112th as I thought.

Tennis Tipping
Best rankings:
Old 04-04-2012, 01:01 AM   #90
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Fred isn't going to make the French, since the schedule has been compacted this season due to the Olympics. Monte Carlo is a week later on the schedule this season, and since Fred isn't playing Casablanca, he won't defend the points. Meaning, he will have to qualify at the French. The positive is that he will be seeded in qualifying, and as we have stated before, will have every chance to regain a top 100 spot soon, if he can maintain his decent form this year. So we'll just have to hope for the best and try not to pass out due to stress during RG qualifying

It would be an awesome accomplishment if Fred can lead Portugal to a victory over Israel on the road. Fred is probably having the best overall season in terms of consistency out of all of the singles players on both teams, so it will be up to him to rise to the occasion as he usually does for DC competition. I believe in him and know he can get the job done. GL to him and the Portuguese team!