Frederico Gil - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #61
country flag Gil&becker

Gil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frederico Gil

After the Aussie Open (only one more win possible), Gil will have almost certainly three Direct Acceptances in ATP250 South America Clay Swing. Then, who knows? But he really needs to secure at least 100 points through out these tournaments. Go Gil!
Gil&becker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 04:54 AM   #62
country flag Gil&becker

Gil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond repute

Such an important win today against Granollers in Aussie Open round 2. First in Portuguese mens tennis history. Now, back inTop-100, and a huge boost of confidence in his new game, his new coach, his new racket. Gil is once again a Top-100, I'm sure that also in his mind now!
Old 02-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #63
country flag Gil&becker

After a great start to the season at the Aussie Open, and now a decent ATP250 Vina del Mar in singles (QF), and a victory in doubles (which gives a lot of confidence), skies cleared a bit. Gil needs to secure about 200 points until mid-April (Monte Carlo week) to secure Top-100 for most of the season, and GS direct acceptance, beggining in Roland Garros. If he manages this 200 points, it will be possible to attack something near top-50 till the end of the season, assuming his good form endures. But, for now, really, the main challenge is to get 200 points in about two months. Otherwise, he will go through qualies at Roland Garros and Wimbledon, and that is always a downturn in a players career, with unpredictable outcome. But all reasons to believe that he will make it, since he just won an ATP event, even if it was the doubles draw. Go Gil!
Old 03-08-2012, 03:55 AM   #64
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

Fred lost in R1 of Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires and as of right now, his provisional is #84. He's in the MD of Indian Wells, as he lost in the final round of qualifying but received a LL position. He plays another qualifier, Rhyne Williams, in the first round, so a win is absolutely necessary. After Indian Wells, Fred is playing the Dallas challenger in Texas, then Miami qualifying. He'll need to continue to win as many matches as possible as a buffer for the Monte Carlo points that will drop.

Qualifying at both Roland Garros and Wimbledon is a real possibility at this point, however Fred has done enough to put himself in position to regain a top 100 spot during the summer, where he doesn't defend much, and make the USO MD and AO MD in 2013. It's all up to Fred to continue to have the decent season he's had and cut out all bad losses.
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:58 AM   #65
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

Given withdrawals, retirements and players who will also falling back in the rankings, Fred will probably need to be around #105 to make the French Open. To do that, he'll need somewhere between 100-150 points the next 1.5 months. It's doable, especially if he can qualify and win a match in Monte Carlo, qualify in Miami, and go deep in Casablanca. Pressure is on and we'll see how Fred handles it.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #66
country flag Gil&becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
Given withdrawals, retirements and players who will also falling back in the rankings, Fred will probably need to be around #105 to make the French Open. To do that, he'll need somewhere between 100-150 points the next 1.5 months. It's doable, especially if he can qualify and win a match in Monte Carlo, qualify in Miami, and go deep in Casablanca. Pressure is on and we'll see how Fred handles it.
Fred won't play Casablanca. My guess is that he prefers to play Monte Carlo, Bucharest and Estoril in a row, and decided to rest the week before this series, and also reajust to clay, since he will come from more than one month playing hard-court, also in DC).
But, for now, is IW MD, a doable first round, and impossible second round, so maximum just over 30 points here. Then, strong DallasCH and Miami (a slight chance of direct entrance to main draw). Then, Davis Cup (no points) and the three clay tournaments I refered to. From IW to Monte Carlo (ony four tournaments), he would need about 180 points, so unless a miracle happens (like Monte Carlo last year), he's into qualifying at RG. And the Olympics are just an impossible dream now... He just left too much to do, due to the results in February.
But, I also believe that he can do well for the rest of the season (has been playing well at hard-courts, which is new and very much appreciated). The problem seems to be still on his mind (nothing else could justify his results in South America after another loss agains Chardy in Bueno Aires, since he was playing so well previously to that match). Needs to put that second part of last season definitively over his back.
Go Gil!
Old 03-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #67
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

I saw your PM Gil&Becker. If Fred is smart he'll take a WC into Casablanca, especially if he loses early in Miami and if Fred only has to play one match for Portugal in Davis Cup, but I can understand if/why he wouldn't. It's an event he has a lot of fans and it's a weak draw. Plus he's defending R2 points there. Without the Casablanca points there is zero chance of he making the French. I hope he reconsiders but if he doesn't, it makes winning today and winning some matches in Dallas and Miami even more critical. Unfortunately, Olympics will not happen but that could be a blessing in disguise, because he'll be forced to play more challengers, and hopefully do better than he did last year in them.

He has been playing significantly better on HC this season than he did the past few seasons. When he first came on tour he did it by winning on hard court. Winning matches on hard will make things a lot easier for him on clay, because he won't need to do as much as consistently on that one surface.

I agree that it's all about self-belief with Fred. Hopefully he believes in himself and his game and is able to achieve the results we know are possible for him.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #68
country flag Gil&becker

About Gil, for those who care (if any, at least Filo V.). I've seen him playing quite a few times now, sometimes live at Estoril Open (every year, for some years now). He has a decent game in him, not sure if he can reach Top-50 anytime, surely not stay there long.
Week serve, problems with backhand, although I've seeen some decent shots at random matches (at least he has a backhand, not like Chardy, for instance).
He really doesn´t have a huge shot, but is going more for the forehand winners, and is much faster around the court this year. Surely, not just a pusher. At perfect conditions, can do great (like against Monfils at Monte Carlo last year).
But his impact in portuguese tennis is huge. It's been more that ten years since we had so many news about tennis. Than, Rui Machado followed his steps in Top-100, which solidified the presence of our sport in the news. Conditions for professionals have improved dramatically recently, so the should take advantage of it soon.
We have a potential Top-50 or even better on the rise, Frederico Ferreira da Silva (Junior Top-10), but Gil set the path these last years(Estoril Final, Monte Carlo QF, for instance).
He will always be remembered by portugueses tennis fans, when his career finishes, which is something.
Go Gil!
Old 03-09-2012, 05:15 AM   #69
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Personally, I don't see Fred as a consistent top 50 player, but top 75, yes. He doesn't have a huge strength but he also doesn't have a huge weakness when playing well. Everything he does, outside of his backhand, with is pretty mediocre most of the time (he's got an OK slice BH and when he's confident it's a decent shot) is between adequate and good. His serve at times is good but is usually average/adequate. His forehand, his movement, his court craft, they are all OK but not overwhelming. To me, that limits his potential but he's also solid, in that when he's going right he plays right at that "decent" level and makes players rise above that to beat him. That makes Fred tough for guys ranked 50 and below and sometimes higher-ranked players; they don't have the ability to play at that high a level for an extended period.

He just have to continue believing in his abilities and the wins will come. What he's done for Portuguese tennis is something I know Portuguese tennis fans will always respect. He's broken territory that hasn't been seen with the sport in terms of tennis. I know how proud he is to be a Portuguese player and one of the best ones ever. And he always plays his best when he has the Portuguese fans cheering him on. He seems like a really down to earth guy and that's one of the reasons I've always liked him.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:17 AM   #70
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Fred won 6-3 6-7(6) 6-4 over qualifier Rhyne Williams in Indian Wells R1. Very important win and much needed points added. In R2 he plays Isner so he'll likely lose there, most important is he got the victory required and hopefully he's feeling OK physically after two tough matches in two days. This is all good preparation for Dallas next week where he should have an opportunity to make a deep run there.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #71
country flag Gil&becker

Gil up against Andreev today, at the very difficult Dallas CH. Actually, I think this is his most difficult match in the bottom-half of the draw. He is playing very well, gave Isner a fight at 2nd round in IW. Let's see if he starts to put a real mark on his rank, to avoid significant fall after Monte Carlo. SF or F here in Dallas is a must. Go Gil!
Old 03-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #72
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

This is a sad match for me.............I really love both players and both players need the points. I'm going to have to emotionally take myself out of rooting for either and just see what happens. But it is a great opportunity for both as well, that's true. The draw is pretty open after this match.

Fred played a great match vs Isner. He's really picked up the intensity of his game this season. A very good sign going forward.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #73
country flag Gil&becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
This is a sad match for me.............I really love both players and both players need the points. I'm going to have to emotionally take myself out of rooting for either and just see what happens. But it is a great opportunity for both as well, that's true. The draw is pretty open after this match.

Fred played a great match vs Isner. He's really picked up the intensity of his game this season. A very good sign going forward.
A great opportunity for Gil, this Dallas CH. Bottom-half really open, although Lacko is there. But I hope Gil can make a deep run. I was taking a good look at his game against Isner, and Gil really played well, really agressive and intense. And by now he is only three withdrawals away from Miami MD, and at least five players that quit IW didn't quit yet from Miami. So, Gil probably directly into Miami MD, which is good news.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #74
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Lacko is there, he's the best overall player in the section, but he's not nearly at his best on outdoor HC as he is indoors. Plus, he hasn't played in about 3 weeks. Of course, it would be nice if he lost before Fred had to play him. Becker is also a tough player.

I'd be surprised if Fred made the Miami MD. I don't see it happening because most of the players who withdrew from IW did so because of sickness, not injury. But we'll see what happens. In any case, a SF here would give him 45 points and a final would be 75. Winning the event would give him 125 points. Even getting a SF here would be huge for Fred. With his Indian Wells points, he still needs about 100-120 points to make the French. Winning the title would secure it, and making the final would put him in a great position to secure it with a couple extra wins in other tournaments.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #75
country flag Gil&becker

Petszchner and Blake withdrew from injury. Volandri and Tursunov I don´t know why. The rest of the ones that didn´t withdrew from Miam yet, inclunding Monfils, was from illness, but at least Monfils was coming from injury also. So, we'll see what happens. Gil really needs at least 45 points here in Dallas CH, to have a chance to get those 125 points he needs in three tournaments. So, at least a SF here is a must.