Borg vs Nadal - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Borg vs. Nadal

Borg 93 31.10%
Nadal 163 54.52%
Hard to say 43 14.38%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2008, 06:08 AM   #1
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute
Default Borg vs Nadal

here is a dream Roland Garros final if we could just invent one. Borg vs Nadal. this would be the stuff the dreams are made of.

it is clear enough to me that the Angelic Assasin ( Borg )stands as the greatest clay court player ever lived. his 6 French Opens attest to his all time greatness on that surface. he was essentially unbeatable on clay. players knew long before they even got to the tournament site that they had no chance against Borg.

how would Borg have done against Nadal had he been here today in his 20`s and armed with the same advances in technology as it relates to racquets, strings, training, and sports medicine. would he have taken Nadal to cleaners in a best of 5 sets final at Roland Garros? or would it have been close and gone 5 sets? you know that Borg won better than 81% of his matches that went the distance. he was almost always the last man standing in those situations.

compare and contrast the 2 monsters on clay. how are they different? what are the similarities? what are their distinctive core competencies/competitive advantages?

finally, can Nadal top Borg`s record of 6 French Opens? what will it take?

Last edited by Clay Death : 04-09-2008 at 06:43 AM.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2008, 06:56 AM   #2
country flag FedFan_2007

FedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Borg vs Nadal : Compare and Contrast

Nadal would win easily due to his monster topspin. In fact Federer would easily beat Borg in any French Open matchup. Diffrent generations Clay Death, you should know that.
FedFan_2007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:03 AM   #3
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedFan_2007 View Post
Nadal would win easily due to his monster topspin. In fact Federer would easily beat Borg in any French Open matchup. Diffrent generations Clay Death, you should know that.

let me see if i understand this correctly. you say that Nadal would win easily because of his topspin but so would Federer who is without the benefit of much topspin.

secondly, Nadal owns Fed. would Borg not own Fed too?

***in case you didnt notice, i made the needed assumption to eliminate the "different eras/generations" premise. i said that lets assume that Borg is here today and he is in his 20`s. further, i added that lets give Borg the same tools everybody else has today.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:11 AM   #4
country flag FedFan_2007

FedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond repute

CD - Federer's topspin is only 2nd to Nadal's if you pay attention to the matches. Also Fed can moonball with the best of them. Of course then there's Fed's other talents which ALL put together would beat Borg on any surface.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:21 AM   #5
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Too much time has passed.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
country flag elessar
Fly away little pigeon

elessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
compare and contrast the 2 monsters on clay. how are they different? what are the similarities? what are their distinctive core competencies/competitive advantages?

finally, can Nadal top Borg`s record of 6 French Opens? what will it take?
Nadal would win 9 out 10 for sure
Nadal has the better serve, the better volleys, Borg could put massive top-spin on the ball but that was with wooden rackets, clearly he'd have a hard time doing the same with modern technology. Add to that Borg's poor physical condition and choking tendencies and there can only be one winner
elessar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:37 AM   #7
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking about this question seriously.

Nadal is already better than Borg, Lendl, Wilander, Muster, Kuerten, Vilas and Burguera at their peaks combined to the power of 99999999999999999999999.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-09-2008, 07:46 AM   #8
country flag FedFan_2007

PMK, no that's the power of ^9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 999. Your hyperbole is seriously deficient when it comes to Nadal. After all past performance is a 100% indicator of future success, no? I mean it's absolutely 100% guaranteed that Nadal will sweep the clay season again....
Old 04-09-2008, 08:11 AM   #9
country flag Rogiman

Rogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond repute

They both did well on clay.

Wow, so many similarities :retard:
It's a sport after all and while it is very important for the players, the only reason they make money (and I mean tennis as a whole) it's because it's entertainment for us, the fans. So if we're watching, I rather watch something that pleases the eye, who gives a shit if a BOSS hotass model takes 5 more seconds in geting the ball to the player in Madrid? I'd rather wait those extra 5 seconds seeing those boobies bounce than watching some fatass kid burn away his bigmac meal.

I don't know, call me old fashioned but I like women
Rogiman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:39 AM   #10
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogiman View Post
They both did well on clay.

Wow, so many similarities :retard:
Your mathematics degree has served you well.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-09-2008, 09:06 AM   #11
country flag All_Slam_Andre

All_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond repute

Borg was better than Nadal in the following departments:
Backhand
Serve
Volleys
Fitness
Mobility

The only department where I would say that Nadal is better than Borg, would be his crosscourt forehand (his forehand down the line is not a shot he can hit consistently well).
This is not a 'Nadal sucks' argument, but a 'Nadal is absolutely amazing, Borg was even more amazing than that' one.
All_Slam_Andre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:14 AM   #12
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedFan_2007 View Post
PMK, no that's the power of ^9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 999. Your hyperbole is seriously deficient when it comes to Nadal. After all past performance is a 100% indicator of future success, no? I mean it's absolutely 100% guaranteed that Nadal will sweep the clay season again....
So have you learnt the scoring system in tennis yet. Answer the next question which bandwagon are you jumping to next.

Clay Death is at least funny and puts some attempt into formulating arguments. You could not formulate a fart after a 100 cans of baked beans.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #13
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

Does it matter who would win?
Old 04-09-2008, 09:49 AM   #14
country flag cardio

cardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond reputecardio has a reputation beyond repute

Little bit off topic, but here is video how Borg and Mac played senior tournament in Denmark last year. I wonder how will Nadal look like when he is 51.y.o and how he will play (if he will able to play at all, he has bad knees already at his young age)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sci90ZFa0G4
P.S.Sorry that TV company screwed up aspect ratio

Last edited by cardio : 04-09-2008 at 10:43 AM.
cardio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:16 AM   #15
country flag juvvi

juvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond reputejuvvi has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking at more like comparing Nadal and Gasquet on clay. Clearly Gasquet is the more talented and hence the less successful.

~♠ Gasqueteers ♠~

all for one, one for all
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
juvvi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote