Will there be another Roger Federer? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-07-2011, 12:56 AM   #31
country flag Sniperdoggy

Sniperdoggy has a reputation beyond reputeSniperdoggy has a reputation beyond reputeSniperdoggy has a reputation beyond reputeSniperdoggy has a reputation beyond reputeSniperdoggy has a reputation beyond reputeSniperdoggy has a reputation beyond reputeSniperdoggy has a reputation beyond reputeSniperdoggy has a reputation beyond reputeSniperdoggy has a reputation beyond reputeSniperdoggy has a reputation beyond reputeSniperdoggy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will there be another Roger Federer?

nadal has the best chance of beating federer's record if he stays healthy nadal might get 19 grand slam's before all said and done
Sniperdoggy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 02:41 AM   #32
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
Why do all Canadians rip on Dancevic on every opportunity? He plays a beautiful game, and his progress has been hampered by injuries and the slow courts/balls more than anything. Just disappointment that he never reached his potential, or has he said or done something?

Just seeing things as they are.
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:16 AM   #33
country flag Mr. Oracle

Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute

All that needs to happen is for a "very good" player like Fed (he is that)to play in an era of mugs. Statistically this is very likely. Odds inevitably turn against you. What Roger is experiencing now is that he needs to compete against two better players. Forget all this olderer stuff. His decline has nothing to do with getting older. His GS total would be 75% less had nadal been on the scene since day one. The title of the thread is misinformed and makes the wrong assumptions and inferences.
is there nothing?  Because, Djokovic, Murray, and Nadal
certainly win Roger? Even David Ferrer? (Roger 14 - 0 David)
Or, Roger loses even before QF? lol

argument.

Click for Jacko & Bubble-Rod => http://postimg.org/image/tvdauba7z/
Mr. Oracle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:55 AM   #34
country flag tnosugar

tnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadull_tard View Post
Do Germans know something the rest of the world doesn't?
Germans always know something the rest of the world doesn't. That's why you should be good friends with them

20-something girl: So, I guess we are now officially corporate hos.
30-something man: Yeah, so now you have to learn to play tennis.
Girl passerby: What does that have to do with anything?
20-something girl: Then we can be corporate hos and tennis pros -- duh.
30-something man: We should do commercials... Why don't we work for an ad agency?!

--59th & Lex
tnosugar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:03 AM   #35
country flag tnosugar

tnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie the Cat View Post
It's a legitimate question. Noone - or at least noone I noticed so far - is already 'burying' Federer with it.

As for the question itself - when looking at achievements, remember the days of one Pete Sampras?
Not that very long ago... and when he racked up his GS title #14, lots of people, fans, journalists and pundits alike, thought that that record would be one for the ages. Well, only ten years later... you know the rest of the story. Things change fast in tennis.

As for whether there will ever again be a player playing Federer's style of tennis - that's pretty hard to say, as it will be difficult to judge whether there will indeed be a player around even trying to master all of the shots like he did, as there is no need for that anymore with the modern technology and court speeds/bounces. I do hope so.
this.

maybe another change in court architecture is needed (the net, court size, i dont know).
they tried to counter the uniformity of the Serve / Serve and Volley era by slowing things down, and it worked. Actually this may be the factor that Fed adapted to first, while the rest of the field back then was too conservative, thus allowing him to dominate (aside his fantastic talents and all).

then came new talents that would slowly evolve completely new styles (the slow-court all-rounder), because they never had to play on high-speed courts most of the time and challenge him.

20-something girl: So, I guess we are now officially corporate hos.
30-something man: Yeah, so now you have to learn to play tennis.
Girl passerby: What does that have to do with anything?
20-something girl: Then we can be corporate hos and tennis pros -- duh.
30-something man: We should do commercials... Why don't we work for an ad agency?!

--59th & Lex
tnosugar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:14 AM   #36
country flag Ibracadabra

Ibracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond repute

Wawrinka

David Nalbandian
Ibracadabra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:44 AM   #37
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

Jan Silva.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:48 AM   #38
country flag tektonac

tektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond repute

Amer Delic.
tektonac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:53 AM   #39
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle View Post
All that needs to happen is for a "very good" player like Fed (he is that)to play in an era of mugs. Statistically this is very likely. Odds inevitably turn against you. What Roger is experiencing now is that he needs to compete against two better players. Forget all this olderer stuff. His decline has nothing to do with getting older. His GS total would be 75% less had nadal been on the scene since day one. The title of the thread is misinformed and makes the wrong assumptions and inferences.
Misinformed, wrong assumptions and inferences indeed...
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:59 AM   #40
country flag dabeast

dabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond reputedabeast has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, I doubt it. You can copy the technique and gamestyle (ala Dimitrov), but the innate fluidity, anticipation, court awareness and pure tennis instinct, those are the things that make Federer unique. You can't teach any of that stuff, part of it is inborn, the rest develops through understanding and love for the game.

His records are another thing entirely. Some will be broken one day, just don't know if it will be in my lifetime.
dabeast is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #41
country flag Macbrother

Location: Ward 47 of the Tilonus Institute for Mental Disorders
Macbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle View Post
Is this a troll attempt or is this guy actually serious? Oracle is obviously a very biased poster but I haven't seen anything quite as much off the deep end as this.

Yes it's much more likely that an entire field sucks as opposed to one person being exceptional. Get real.

The greatest backhand pass ever.

fucktard. n. A special variety of retard whose condition arises not from clinically demonstrable neurological impairment, but from buttersnap shitfuckery of the mind.
Macbrother is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:35 AM   #42
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

ezekiel is back and running wild.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #43
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeandlonely View Post
I mean style of play, game-wise, let's not even talk about achievements. Or arguably the best to see of all time vanish after his retirement.
Unless anybody has a crystal ball that actually works, who knows?

For his fans and people who are now able to watch and admire him, he is unique.

People who have watched players like Borg, JMac, etc. still talk about them with fondness.

However, tennis moves on and we will see new and exciting tennis players coming up. Once you've been a huge fan of one player in particular, there's the temptation to keep on comparing every newcomer to your own favorite, thereby risk missing the excitement others bring to the sport because in your eyes, he's just not that one player you admire.

So, we won't have another Federer (he's not gone yet, he may even have a number of big titles in him yet) but we will have other great and exciting players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbrother View Post
I haven't seen anything quite as much off the deep end as this.
You don't visit GM often, I take it.
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #44
country flag Arakasi

Arakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond repute

Why are 90% of the people in this thread talking about records and achievements The OP explicitly said he wasn't talking about that.

I doubt we'll ever see any other players with quite the same style of play as Federer but I really hope we do. The beauty and elegance of his game is what made me love tennis.
Arakasi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #45
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakasi View Post
Why are 90% of the people in this thread talking about records and achievements
I don't think you can fully separate them, though.

I mean, Malisse (just to talk about my own favorite head-case), has a fluid game and when on, it's a marvel to watch, very beautiful. The fact that his game is rarely on for an entire set, let alone a full match makes it harder to watch. You don't focus on that beautiful game as much when he's losing his head all the damn time.

If you look at lower ranked players, players who are rarely in the picture, you'll see enough players with a stunning looking backhand, a beautiful forehand, etc. They often lack the mental strength, the willpower and who knows what else to make it a full package and make it work.

The fact that Federer has his beautiful game + he's been very consistent is what attracts people, not the beautiful game alone. If he'd only have that beautiful game but only very average results to show for it, we wouldn't be talking about it disappearing once he retires.
This is why 90% take the records and achievements into consideration IMO.
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote