Will there be another Roger Federer? - Page 21 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-02-2011, 03:04 AM   #301
country flag eduggs

eduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will there be another Roger Federer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSampras View Post
and the YEC

Unlike Rog, who has YET to beat Nadal at a slam since he entered his prime in 08
BS. Nadal was #2 in the world since 2005. Nadal was in his prime long before 2008. Nadal didn't begin his prime then, Federer exited his.

Federer didn't lose his playing talent, what he lost was a fraction of his quickness. In tennis that is everything. Your favorite youtube videos will demonstrate this. Peak Federer wasn't better because he could hit a better serve or forehand. He was better because he was faster. This degradation of speed and quickness happens in every sport, usually most notably in the mid or late 20s. The primary advantage Djokovic has now and Nadal recently had is their court quickness.
eduggs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2011, 03:05 AM   #302
country flag SetSampras

SetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduggs View Post
Sustaining this level of play into the 30s is rare. I'm not sure we'll see a player of this caliber at this age again for a while.

Federer was unlucky this year. He played great at the slams.
He ran into a nearly unbeatable player - Djokovic - having an all-time great year, at 3 of 4 slams. He played him even at the AO and the US Open, but narrowly lost both in the SF. The only time he did manage to beat him, his nemesis Nadal was waiting in the final. The same Nadal that has lost only 1 match in his career at Roland Garros. And Federer was within an inch of having a 2 sets to 1 lead.
Unlucky about what? He's supposedly the "best to ever play the game" right? Supposedly... Yet he blows a 2 set lead 5-4, 40-15 lead in the 5th set.. Whats unlucky about choking on the big stage and letting your opponent come back when you have a 2 set demanding lead? Where was he unlucky at the Australian Open? Nole blasted him off the court, no ifs ands or buts, he can't beat Nadal at the French... He blows ANOTHER 2 set lead at wimbledon..

Maybe he should learn to close out matches when he has 2 sets leads? I dunno.. But hes not used to adversity.. Hes used to just blowing mugs off the court who don't put up a fight.. Any little bit of adversity and he has issues since he has pretty poor mental toughness for a supposed "GOAT" of the game. Thats not unlucky.. That poor execution
SetSampras is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:07 AM   #303
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
BS. Nadal was #2 in the world since 2005. Nadal was in his prime long before 2008. Nadal didn't begin his prime then, Federer exited his.

Federer didn't lose his playing talent, what he lost was a fraction of his quickness. In tennis that is everything. Your favorite youtube videos will demonstrate this. Peak Federer wasn't better because he could hit a better serve or forehand. He was better because he was faster. This degradation of speed and quickness happens in every sport, usually most notably in the mid or late 20s. The primary advantage Djokovic has now and Nadal recently had is their court quickness.

same as the idiots who call Djokovic "Baby Nole" in 07/08, hell he was Baby Nole in 2005 I think.

Arkulari is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:08 AM   #304
country flag SetSampras

SetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

ROFL!!! yea the same Nadal who couldn't reach a hardcourt slam semis during that whole time at the hc slams and consistently going out to mugs UNTIL his real prime in 08.. The same Nadal who was just figuring out how to play on grass in 05-06 with almost ZERO grasscourt tournaments under his belt. The same Nadal who couldn't almost flat out play on ANYTHING with no real success outside of clay has been in his "prime" since 2005. The same Nadal who was just finishing Puberty during that time. Sure.
SetSampras is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:08 AM   #305
country flag rickcastle

rickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkulari View Post

same as the idiots who call Djokovic "Baby Nole" in 07/08, hell he was Baby Nole in 2005 I think.
SetSampras logic: As long as Federer is beating players, they are the "baby" versions of themselves. Ferrer is still Baby Ferrer.
rickcastle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:18 AM   #306
country flag eduggs

eduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Unlucky about what? He's supposedly the "best to ever play the game" right? Supposedly... Yet he blows a 2 set lead 5-4, 40-15 lead in the 5th set.. Whats unlucky about choking on the big stage and letting your opponent come back when you have a 2 set demanding lead? Where was he unlucky at the Australian Open? Nole blasted him off the court, no ifs ands or buts, he can't beat Nadal at the French... He blows ANOTHER 2 set lead at wimbledon..

Maybe he should learn to close out matches when he has 2 sets leads? I dunno.. But hes not used to adversity.. Hes used to just blowing mugs off the court who don't put up a fight.. Any little bit of adversity and he has issues since he has pretty poor mental toughness for a supposed "GOAT" of the game. Thats not unlucky.. That poor execution
119 to 111 points at the Australian Open. 1st set tiebreak. 2nd set Fed had a 5-2* 15-0 lead. Djokovic played brilliantly to come back in that set and close out the match, but it was extremely tight.

Yes Federer could have closed the deal at the US Open, but you have to give credit to Djokovic. He was a beast. And he's been waiting for his whole life for these moments. Federer had to play great just to get to that position. Nobody else had challenged Djokovic like that this year.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:22 AM   #307
country flag eduggs

Quote:
ROFL!!! yea the same Nadal who couldn't reach a hardcourt slam semis during that whole time at the hc slams and consistently going out to mugs UNTIL his real prime in 08.. The same Nadal who was just figuring out how to play on grass in 05-06 with almost ZERO grasscourt tournaments under his belt. The same Nadal who couldn't almost flat out play on ANYTHING with no real success outside of clay has been in his "prime" since 2005. The same Nadal who was just finishing Puberty during that time. Sure.
1-dimensional players cannot reach #2 in the world and hold it for 4 years. Nadal was good on all surfaces even if he wasn't winning slams. It was a strong era. Lots of good hard court players.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:48 AM   #308
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcastle View Post
SetSampras logic: As long as Federer is beating players, they are the "baby" versions of themselves. Ferrer is still Baby Ferrer.
YES! how haven't I noticed that! of course!

Arkulari is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #309
country flag Commander Data

Commander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wawa for example once grew up but then regressed into a baby again. With some luck we see Nole become a soft skinned baby once more while PapaFed rocks him to sleep

- Magnus Carlsen

Last edited by Commander Data : 12-02-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Commander Data is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #310
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Gasquet is a miracle of nature. Born an adult, regressed to babyhood, then suddenly grew up again! But ended the year a baby once more.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #311
country flag dodo

dodo has a reputation beyond reputedodo has a reputation beyond reputedodo has a reputation beyond reputedodo has a reputation beyond reputedodo has a reputation beyond reputedodo has a reputation beyond reputedodo has a reputation beyond reputedodo has a reputation beyond reputedodo has a reputation beyond reputedodo has a reputation beyond reputedodo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Anyone that loses to Federer, ever, is, by definition, a baby, choker, mug or some combination thereof.
Best signature ive ever read on MTF. 800% truth. You should be awarded for being a visionary. Some of us out here noticed it and appreciated it.
Every past, current and future top player will fall
Ouahab will never beat Federer
Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo will never win a slam
dodo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #312
country flag juan27

juan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But Fed wasn't lucky that his main rival for like a whopping 4 years or so outside of clay wasn't trash Roddick? The same guy who Pete pissed on at the USO at his last tournament ever? Or that Agassi dropped 5 times out of 6? Or that the #2 to the world couldn't play tennis outside of clay for 4 years? ROFL

Unreal the thinking of some of you people
unreal is your thinking to say bullshits agains a player much better than your idol.

the reality is that the main rival of you idol wasn`t 100% focus in tennis , with many personal problemas incluiding drugs , out of tennis for 2 years and more worried by his hair and look that in tennis.

nadal couln`t play tennis outside clay????

he won titles in hard outdoor and even in indoor , wimbledon final ,etc...

can`t compare agassi with nadal , this is the true.

sampras defeat mugs like martin or pioline and was defeated by patetics mugs in all surfaces
juan27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #313
country flag fed4ever

fed4ever has a reputation beyond reputefed4ever has a reputation beyond reputefed4ever has a reputation beyond reputefed4ever has a reputation beyond reputefed4ever has a reputation beyond reputefed4ever has a reputation beyond reputefed4ever has a reputation beyond reputefed4ever has a reputation beyond reputefed4ever has a reputation beyond reputefed4ever has a reputation beyond reputefed4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'll be waiting to hear who thinks for the first 4 years ( where Fed amassed his most slams 03-07) where this "stiffer" competition came from outside of Nadal on clay. Fedmug4ever's post is very biased, and not taken into very good context.
I'm not sure how you can accuse anyone of being biased and not taking things into context since you're the king of hypocrisy and using selected data. I posted all of Sampras' and Federer's wins and losses from the 6 year period of their prime against top 10 opponents in each of the 4 Slams and provided thei rankings at the time. I didn't cherry pick stats like you always do or throw in names of players he never faced or faced when they were out of the top 10 just to try to artificially impress.

In the 24 grand slams played between 1993-1998, Pete Sampras beat a top 10 ranked player only 16 times. Between 2003-2008, Federer beat a top-10 ranked player 31 times. Who had the easier draws?

You're going to try to make some argument that it's the quality that counts not the quantity, but Sampras only faced Agassi twice in that span going 1-1. Who was Sampras beating to win his Slams? It wasn't Edberg, Stich, Krajicek, Rafter, Rios, Kuerten, Moya, Kafelnikov, Philippoussis, Bruguera. He was 0-5 against these players between '93-'98 when they were in the top 10.

Explain to me how beating Agassi once, Chang twice, Ivanisevic, Kucera, at the US open is more impressive than beating Djokovic twice, Hewitt twice, Roddick twice, Agassi twice, Davydenko twice; Murray; Blake and Henman?

Explain to me how beating Courier, Chang and Muster at the Australian is more impressive than wins over Agassi, Roddick, Ferrero, Nalbandian, Davydenko, Gonzalez and Robredo?

Explain to me how 1 win over Courier (on a ridiculously fast sun-baked RG surface where Pete served 28 aces and Courier served 27!) with losses to Schaller, Norman, and Delgado at the French and 1 SF as your best result is more impressive than beating Nalbandian, Robredo, and Davydenko, and making 3 finals only losing to arguably the best clay-courter ever in Nadal.

Explain to me why beating Ivanisevic twice, Becker twice, Courier; Chang and Martin at Wimbledon is much more impressive than beating Roddick 3 times, Nadal twice, Hewitt twice; Ancic?

Explain to me why we should ignore the fact that starting from Wimbledon '93, Federer only lost to Nalbandian (13) at the US, Guga (30) and Nadal (5, 2, 2, 2) at Roland Garros, Safin (4) and Djokovic (3) at the Australian and Nadal (2) at Wimbledon. However, starting from Wimbledon '93, Sampras lost to Yzaga (23) , Korda (16) and Rafter (3) at the US, Philippoussis (40), Kucera (20), Agassi (2) at the Australian; Courier (7), Schaller (24), Kafelnikov (7); Norman (65) and Delgado (97) at the French and Krajicek (13) at Wimbledon.

When looking at the real hard data and not just the imaginary stats in your head, there is nothing that you could possibly say to any rational person that can convince them that Sampras was beating up on tougher competition. As much as you make fun of baby Nadal or baby Djokovic or dismiss the qualities of Hewitt, or Roddick, Murray etc., the fact is they were all in the top 10 at that point and all playing well enough to win had Federer not been around.

Sampras only had 16 wins in 24 tournaments against top 10 players! What is so impressive about that? Keep in mind that as much as you bad mouth Federer's peers, Agassi and Ivanisevic were known as being mental midgets in the 90s, Chang was weaponless, Becker was aging and Courier was burnt out.
fed4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #314
country flag asmazif

asmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond repute

Depends if they develop/hone the technology enough before Fed dies and whether he indeed wants it to happen. Probably not, to be honest. ODDS ARE.
Henman / Edberg / Stich / Safin / Gambill / Grosjean / Malisse / Gonzo / Llodra / Santoro / Rafter / Agassi / Schalken / Nováček / Rosewall / Ashe / H-T Lee / Kuerten / Boetsch / Pavel / Sundström / Björkman / Scud / El Aynaoui / Arazi / Calleri / Sampras / Nalbandian / Mosquito / Srichaphan / Pioline
asmazif is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #315
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

fed4ever: Couldn't give you rep, but wanted to say 1) great post!; and 2) don't bother wasting your time on our resident Samprastard. Talking to him about Sampras vs. Federer is like talking to a brick wall.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote