Will there be another Roger Federer? - Page 20 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #286
country flag Egreen

Egreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will there be another Roger Federer?

Not anytime soon.
Egreen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #287
country flag SetSampras

SetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduggs View Post
Sampras was not competitive at the end of his career apart from his magical US Open run in 2002. He was outplayed by several new rivals. Federer is still highly competitive with the best of the best. Especially at the slams. He ended Djokovic's winning streak at the French and then went toe to toe with Nadal. He had match points against Djokovic at the US Open and played him even for points at the Australian.

My idols were Edberg until he retired in the mid-90s, then Sampras until he retired in 2002, and then Federer thereafter.
Pete was still highly competitive (despite way more injuries and less passion by that time then Roger, and no guy like Nadal around threatening his record, and a guy like Djokovic around) I think Pete did alright for himself. He still was winning Wimbledon, he was getting far at the USO, he went out to Agassi in 5 sets after suffering injuries etc)

If there was a guy like Nadal or a dominant beast like Nole threatening Fed's career, Im sure Pete would have gone for it harder.. But there wasn't at the time.. By 2000, he had already broken the record, and dismantled his main rival most of the time and had the greater career. There was no one like Nadal breathing down his neck threatening his legacy.. Fed HAS to stick around if he doesn't want Nadal surpassing him.

Fed is pretty much on par with Pete's slamless time from 00-01. No slam since the AO in 2010
SetSampras is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #288
country flag Egreen

Egreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSampras View Post
Fed HAS to stick around if he doesn't want Nadal surpassing him.
No way Nadal is reaching 16 now. That ship sailed in 2009. Had he won 3 slams in 2009, then the chances of him owning the slam record by the end of his career would have been way better. Not anymore.
Egreen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #289
country flag eduggs

eduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Pete was still highly competitive (despite way more injuries and less passion by that time then Roger, and no guy like Nadal around threatening his record, and a guy like Djokovic around) I think Pete did alright for himself. He still was winning Wimbledon, he was getting far at the USO, he went out to Agassi in 5 sets after suffering injuries etc)

If there was a guy like Nadal or a dominant beast like Nole threatening Fed's career, Im sure Pete would have gone for it harder.. But there wasn't at the time.. By 2000, he had already broken the record, and dismantled his main rival most of the time and had the greater career. There was no one like Nadal breathing down his neck threatening his legacy.. Fed HAS to stick around if he doesn't want Nadal surpassing him.

Fed is pretty much on par with Pete's slamless time from 00-01. No slam since the AO in 2010
You make many unsupported assumptions. You inflate Sampras's achievements, make excuses for his shortcomings, and crap all over everything Federer has ever done. That is the DEFINITION of a TARD.

I think Pete had an all-time great career, and hung on valiantly at the end. But I also think Federer was better in both regards. The record speaks for itself. Federer's twilight years (2008-2011) are very similar in quality to Sampras's best.

Agree to disagree. I believe you are blinded by hate or love - or maybe both. Your posts are based on emotion instead of logic. I was a fan of both players. I will defend either from attack. But most of all I try to defend a semblance of objective reality.
eduggs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #290
country flag SetSampras

SetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egreen View Post
No way Nadal is reaching 16 now. That ship sailed in 2009. Had he won 3 slams in 2009, then the chances of him owning the slam record by the end of his career would have been way better. Not anymore.
I dunno about that.. If Nole is not as dominant or 100 percent next year, like he was last year, Nadal can have a big season winning at least 2 slams and be right back in the hunt.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #291
country flag DrJules

DrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Factual details prove your assertion incorrect.

2000 Sampras won Miami MS + Wimbledon. 2010 Federer won AO + YE + Cincinnati MS + Basel + Stockholm.

2001 Sampras no titles + ended year 10. 2011 Federer won YE + Paris MS + Basel + Doha. Ended year 3.

Federer significantly better record in each year, particularly the 2001 / 2011 year.

Federer 17 GS, 6 Year End Masters, 22 Master Series.
Nadal 14 GS, 0 Year End Masters, 27 Master Series, 1 Olympic Gold.
Djokovic 7 GS, 3 Year End Masters, 19 Master Series.

DrJules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #292
country flag Mechlan

Mechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJules View Post

2000 Sampras won Miami MS + Wimbledon. 2010 Federer won AO + YE + Cincinnati MS + Basel + Stockholm.

2001 Sampras no titles + ended year 10. 2011 Federer won YE + Paris MS + Basel + Doha. Ended year 3.

Federer significantly better record in each year, particularly the 2001 / 2011 year.
Totally agree. Pete around this time had a few good results a year. Federer is being beaten by two very very good players only for the most part.
Mechlan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:32 AM   #293
country flag Shinoj

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And Agassi wasn't in his twilight? ROFL. Pure double standard federphile thinking. In fact, he was more older and broken down in the early 00's then Edberg was in the 90s ( who was number 2 in 1993) and Becker. Goran is the equivalent of Roddick.. Not as good on hardcourts, but much better on grass. Kraicjek was injjured most of his career, but when could beat anyone on grass as shown in 96. Id like to see WHO in the 00's reached that level on grass, Richard did in 96.. I'll be waiting.

Agassi sorting himself out.. But at least he could get beyond a hardcourt slam QF unlike Nadal. Courier>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Roddick all day every day

Agassi wasnt at his peak level when Sampras was winning all those slams. Some years few and far between. Thats it.

Thats the point exactly i am making no strong competition was there for Sampras. And Edberg and Becker both were in their late 20s when Sampras peaked. And same for Courier, he burnt out the time Sampras peaked.

Sampras in some way got lucky.
Shinoj is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:37 AM   #294
country flag juan27

juan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond reputejuan27 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoj View Post
Agassi wasnt at his peak level when Sampras was winning all those slams. Some years few and far between. Thats it.

Thats the point exactly i am making no strong competition was there for Sampras. And Edberg and Becker both were in their late 20s when Sampras peaked. And same for Courier, he burnt out the time Sampras peaked.

sampras was very lucky , his best opponent was outside of tennis for 2 years with many personal problems , even the same agassi say that he really interested in tennis too late in his career when he was more old.

sampras in his peak years hadn`t a great rival.

by this things , I think that 90s are very very overated.

I say this in many posts, but setsampras has the capacity of don`t read the post with arguments or that owned him
juan27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:42 AM   #295
country flag Shinoj

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan27 View Post
sampras was very lucky , his best opponent was outside of tennis for 2 years with many personal problems , even the same agassi say that he really interested in tennis too late in his career when he was more old.

sampras in his peak years hadn`t a great rival.

by this things , I think that 90s are very very overated.

I say this in many posts, but setsampras has the capacity of don`t read the post with arguments or that owned him

yes indeed... The Early 90s were too good but the rest of the 90s is vastly over rated. Nobody really was there apart from Sampras.

Courier got burned out, Becker,Edberg were all past their peak...Who was remaining? Muster and Bruguera and Anyways Sampras wasnt good on Clay.

He was very very lucky.
Shinoj is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:21 AM   #296
country flag SetSampras

But Fed wasn't lucky that his main rival for like a whopping 4 years or so outside of clay wasn't trash Roddick? The same guy who Pete pissed on at the USO at his last tournament ever? Or that Agassi dropped 5 times out of 6? Or that the #2 to the world couldn't play tennis outside of clay for 4 years? ROFL

Unreal the thinking of some of you people
Old 12-02-2011, 02:53 AM   #297
country flag rickcastle

rickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But Fed wasn't lucky that his main rival for like a whopping 4 years or so outside of clay wasn't trash Roddick? The same guy who Pete pissed on at the USO at his last tournament ever? Or that Agassi dropped 5 times out of 6? Or that the #2 to the world couldn't play tennis outside of clay for 4 years? ROFL

Unreal the thinking of some of you people
Sampras got lucky. Federer got lucky. They got lucky in some ways but also their talent brought them to what they have achieved. BOTH of them. Not just Sampras like you seem to keep on harping about. Federer has deserved his achievements, luck or not. Winning 11 slams out of 16 in 4 years is no small feat no matter how "weak" your competition is. You don't "luck" yourself into 16 slams. It's a consistency issue, Federer did not lose to lower ranked players during his peak, that is greatness.
rickcastle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:53 AM   #298
country flag SetSampras

and the YEC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoj View Post

So what year do we want to play then? 1999? Pete demolishes Andre at Wimbledon and YEC. 2001? Pete beats Andre at the USO. 2002? Pete beats Andre at the USO. 1995? Pete beats Andre at the USO etc. etc. Whatever year Andre was at his peak, Sampras beat him at the slams. Unlike Rog, who has YET to beat Nadal at a slam since he entered his prime in 08
Old 12-02-2011, 02:57 AM   #299
country flag eduggs

eduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond repute

Sustaining this level of play into the 30s is rare. I'm not sure we'll see a player of this caliber at this age again for a while.

Federer was unlucky this year. He played great at the slams.
He ran into a nearly unbeatable player - Djokovic - having an all-time great year, at 3 of 4 slams. He played him even at the AO and the US Open, but narrowly lost both in the SF. The only time he did manage to beat him, his nemesis Nadal was waiting in the final. The same Nadal that has lost only 1 match in his career at Roland Garros. And Federer was within an inch of having a 2 sets to 1 lead.
eduggs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:00 AM   #300
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJules View Post

2000 Sampras won Miami MS + Wimbledon. 2010 Federer won AO + YEC + Cincinnati MS + Basel + Stockholm.

2001 Sampras no titles + ended year 10. 2011 Federer won YEC + Paris MS + Basel + Doha. Ended year 3.

Thanks doc

Arkulari is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote