Will there be another Roger Federer? - Page 16 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #226
country flag barbadosan

barbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will there be another Roger Federer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoj View Post
Records are meant to be broken.. Its an Old Adage you see, you would know better than that.
haha, the other equally old adage is that there's an exception to every rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1yer View Post
Olympics SIngles GOLD is the most important criteria for this.
If one doesnt have it - He aint elite - pure and simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
So, Miloslav Mecir and Marc Rosset are elite, John McEnroe and Ival Lendl are not. Got you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
So Massu > Djokovic, Federer, Lendl, McEnroe, and Sampras
barbadosan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #227
country flag Shinoj

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbadosan View Post
haha, the other equally old adage is that there's an exception to every rule

As long as the World wont get destroyed, most records will be broken
Shinoj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #228
country flag yonexforever

yonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond repute

The wasy I would answer this question is from the perspective of what kind of influence a long running Number 1 has on subsequent generations. IF you take Borg for instance.. we saw not just other Swedes playing tennis but Borg clones(WIlander) everywhere to a certain degree... Top spin became the norm, so will we see one handed backhands coming back? Im not so sure.. the 2 hander seems to be the direction coaches are going with even with Federer at the top of the game for the better part of almost a decade.
yonexforever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:49 PM   #229
country flag SetSampras

SetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkulari View Post
I actually saw Muster playing live at his peak and no, I don't think he would have beaten Rafa often, Guga had great clay game but his one hander would have been pounded mercilessly by Rafa (the match-up issue that Roger has with him), Rosewall? mmm hard to say, Wilander? don't make me laugh, even Courier was better than him on clay and neither one could hold a candle to Rafa.

Vilas might sneak some wins like he did against Borg but I don't think he would have been able to withstand the power of Rafa

There's a reason why Borg and Nadal stay alone at the top of the clay game, no one comes close to them and actually forcing them to tough matches with a match-up disadvantage is a sign of greatness.
They stand along because of their french open and clay achievements.. But to say there aren't guys in history who could trouble them and maybe take a few french open titles from them.. then I dunno. Whooping on Fed for 20 years at the French Open isn't the same as whooping on the clay court elite in history.
SetSampras is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #230
country flag eduggs

eduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSampras View Post
They stand along because of their french open and clay achievements.. But to say there aren't guys in history who could trouble them and maybe take a few french open titles from them.. then I dunno. Whooping on Fed for 20 years at the French Open isn't the same as whooping on the clay court elite in history.
Not a lot of guys more elite than Federer on clay. I cannot think of too many better guys going back to the edge of my memories in the early 70s. And back then the game was very different.

Federer does everything you want in a claycourt player at an elite level. He's an accurate server, hits great spin and angle, has an excellent short slice and dropshot. He moves very well on clay and has extremely good endurance. He is certainly a better clay court player than Gaudio, Ferrero, A. Costa, Agassi, Moya, Kafelnikov, Muster, Bruguera, Courier, Gomez, Chang, Wilander, Lendl, Noah, Vilas, Panatta. And all those guys won the French Open, some of them multiple times. The three guys who might have been better are Kuerten, Nadal, and Borg. Well Nadal is clearly better.
eduggs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:18 PM   #231
country flag SetSampras

SetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduggs View Post
Not a lot of guys more elite than Federer on clay. I cannot think of too many better guys going back to the edge of my memories in the early 70s. And back then the game was very different.

Federer does everything you want in a claycourt player at an elite level. He's an accurate server, hits great spin and angle, has an excellent short slice and dropshot. He moves very well on clay and has extremely good endurance. He is certainly a better clay court player than Gaudio, Ferrero, A. Costa, Agassi, Moya, Kafelnikov, Muster, Bruguera, Courier, Gomez, Chang, Wilander, Lendl, Noah, Vilas, Panatta. And all those guys won the French Open, some of them multiple times. The three guys who might have been better are Kuerten, Nadal, and Borg. Well Nadal is clearly better.
Fed better on clay now then Lendl, Vilas, Wilander, Bruguera, Courier?

Im sorry... But no. Just...... no
Old 11-30-2011, 06:51 PM   #232
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Bruguera & Courier, probably, yes. The others, no.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:53 PM   #233
country flag Mateya
Mateja Atptourova

Mateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to say, but I know one thing:

Federer won't be considered as the GOAT until he brings his ass to Umag, where claycourt tennis of the highest quality is played and takes the title. He clearly is scared of the field here.

Until then he's just an ordinary tennis player.

Mateya's FAQ: Yes, I'm a girl. Profile pic is me. I watch and play tennis since 13 (1997). I don't play ITFs anymore, I have a job now. MTF-> uncovering my naughty side since 2007.
http://www4.slikomat.com/13/1210/88t-Mateja.jpg
Slovenia's finest: Grega Žemlja, Aljaž Bedene, Blaž Kavčič; Anže Kopitar, TINA MAZE, Melanija Trump, Mateja *********.
SLOVENIA - small but extremely dangerous.
Umag > Roland Garros
WTA tour
Nothing in life is NID.
Mateya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #234
country flag eduggs

eduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond reputeeduggs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Lendl won 3 FO in 5 finals. It was a transitional era when racquet technology and game play were being revolutionized and there were no dominant clay court players. McEnroe's game should not have been good enough to get to the FO final, as great a player as he was.

Vilas won one FO in 4 finals over Brian Gottfried. A very good but not great player.

Wilander won 3 FO in 5 finals, including a loss to Yanick Noah. Same story as Lendl.

Bruguera won 2 FO in 3 finals and won 4 major clay titles total in his whole career. Dude, WTF is wrong with you?

Courier also won 2 FO in 3 finals and 4 major clay titles total in his whole career.

Federer has won 1 FO in 5 finals, losing to the best clay courter of all time 5 times! Since before he won his first GS, Federer has only lost to 3 times FO champion Kuerten, 6 times FO champion Nadal, and the only player to beat Nadal at RG, Soderling. If it weren't for Nadal, Federer could have been tied with Borg for most FO titles with 6. Federer is clearly a superior tennis player to all of the champions mentioned previously. His career record and all-court prowess is definitive proof. That he does not have more triumphs at Roland Garros does not diminish his status as a legendary clay court player, rather it elevates Nadal as an even greater champion on the surface.
eduggs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:18 PM   #235
country flag Mateya
Mateja Atptourova

Mateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduggs View Post
Federer has won 1 FO in 5 finals, losing to the best clay courter of all time 5 times! Since before he won his first GS, Federer has only lost to 3 times FO champion Kuerten, 6 times FO champion Nadal, and the only player to beat Nadal at RG, Soderling. If it weren't for Nadal, Federer could have been tied with Borg for most FO titles with 6. Federer is clearly a superior tennis player to all of the champions mentioned previously. His career record and all-court prowess is definitive proof. That he does not have more triumphs at Roland Garros does not diminish his status as a legendary clay court player, rather it elevates Nadal as an even greater champion on the surface.
AMEN!

This should shut some loud mouths over here.

Mateya's FAQ: Yes, I'm a girl. Profile pic is me. I watch and play tennis since 13 (1997). I don't play ITFs anymore, I have a job now. MTF-> uncovering my naughty side since 2007.
http://www4.slikomat.com/13/1210/88t-Mateja.jpg
Slovenia's finest: Grega Žemlja, Aljaž Bedene, Blaž Kavčič; Anže Kopitar, TINA MAZE, Melanija Trump, Mateja *********.
SLOVENIA - small but extremely dangerous.
Umag > Roland Garros
WTA tour
Nothing in life is NID.

Last edited by Mateya : 11-30-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Mateya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #236
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateya View Post
Hard to say, but I know one thing:

Federer won't be considered as the GOAT until he brings his ass to Umag, where claycourt tennis of the highest quality is played and takes the title. He clearly is scared of the field here.

Until then he's just an ordinary tennis player.
Now this is the kind of post that I can truly appreciate a lot.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:06 PM   #237
country flag r2473

r2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond repute

The surname Federer isn't that uncommon, nor is the first name Roger.

I say almost certainly. Probably quite a few in fact.
r2473 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:54 PM   #238
country flag syc23

syc23 has a reputation beyond reputesyc23 has a reputation beyond reputesyc23 has a reputation beyond reputesyc23 has a reputation beyond reputesyc23 has a reputation beyond reputesyc23 has a reputation beyond reputesyc23 has a reputation beyond reputesyc23 has a reputation beyond reputesyc23 has a reputation beyond reputesyc23 has a reputation beyond reputesyc23 has a reputation beyond repute

Just as there is no new Michael Jordan, there will never be another Roger Federer.
syc23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:59 PM   #239
country flag SetSampras

Quote:
Originally Posted by syc23 View Post
Just as there is no new Michael Jordan, there will never be another Roger Federer.
Fed is No MJ please.. MJ had no equal and destroyed EVERYONE who came in his path ( especially his top rivals) on every big stage. . Fed hasn't done that
Old 11-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #240
country flag MatchFederer
-Cheese, Bacon, SOWsages-

MatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Fed is No MJ please.. MJ had no equal and destroyed EVERYONE who came in his path ( especially his top rivals) on every big stage. . Fed hasn't done that
MJ was clearly the greatest player of his era like Federer is, and he had a lot of problems in overcoming Bird's Celtics and Magic's Lakers to claim an NBA title. In fact, he toiled away for 7 or 8 years until he got one, by which point he was in his late 20's.