Nalbandians Davis Cup Obsession - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
country flag desigundah

desigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond reputedesigundah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nalbandians Davis Cup Obsession

Being someone who is extremely loyal to his country and someone who believes that athletes should do their best to represent their country, I can't help but wonder if Nalbandians obsession with winning a DC is a little strange.

First of all, unlike soccer and even rugby, the DC doesn't really have a storied history and in fact has been taken relatively lightly by prior legends of the game. In fact, you don't have to look too far past the likes of Federer and Nadal, who have regularly missed DC ties ( including Nadal earlier this year and Fed last year)

Secondly, tennis is not a team sport, it's actually an insvidual sport. This has to take away from the accomplishment of winning a "title" as a team.

If Nalbandian really wants to represent his country he should have focused more on winning an Olympic medal.

It's great to see a man so dedicated to representing his country but perhaps his country may appreciate more of a dedication to Nalbandian losing weight and focusing on some kind of a run at the 2012 olympics.

Best of luck to David and the Argentines in Spain next month but hopefully if things don't go their way all the pressure that Nalbandian has put on himself and his teammates doesn't haunt him and his compatriots in the long run.
desigundah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nalbandians Davis Cup Obsession

DC doesn't have a storied history don't say that to John McEnroe, Boris Becker, Rod Laver. The Swedes who dominated in the 80s making the final every year from 83-89 on all surfaces. Spain, France, Argentina and Australia there is Davis Cup tradition. Argentina unlike the others never won it.

Federer and Nadal aren't representative of Davis Cup.

As for Nalbandian, he is his own man if he wants to win a Davis Cup more than a Slam then he can think that. DC has a lot of history saying otherwise just shows a lack of basic research skills. Whether people like the event or not is another subject.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1

Last edited by Action Jackson : 11-04-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
country flag bleu_cheese

bleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond reputebleu_cheese has a reputation beyond repute

Before the Open Era, Davis Cup was considered one of the most prestigious titles in tennis.

Gasquet-Gulbis-Cilic-Dolgopolov-Stebe-Glasspool
Haase-Del Potro-Wawrinka-Kavcic-Giraldo-Berankis

My blog, not about tennis, though...
bleu_cheese is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by desigundah View Post
Being someone who is extremely loyal to his country and someone who believes that athletes should do their best to represent their country, I can't help but wonder if Nalbandians obsession with winning a DC is a little strange.

First of all, unlike soccer and even rugby, the DC doesn't really have a storied history and in fact has been taken relatively lightly by prior legends of the game. In fact, you don't have to look too far past the likes of Federer and Nadal, who have regularly missed DC ties ( including Nadal earlier this year and Fed last year)

Secondly, tennis is not a team sport, it's actually an insvidual sport. This has to take away from the accomplishment of winning a "title" as a team.

If Nalbandian really wants to represent his country he should have focused more on winning an Olympic medal.

It's great to see a man so dedicated to representing his country but perhaps his country may appreciate more of a dedication to Nalbandian losing weight and focusing on some kind of a run at the 2012 olympics.

Best of luck to David and the Argentines in Spain next month but hopefully if things don't go their way all the pressure that Nalbandian has put on himself and his teammates doesn't haunt him and his compatriots in the long run.
The bolded part is just plain false. That shows to me your knowledge on the history of the game is not at all up to scratch.

Secondly, the people who think that the DC is not important or prestigious are usually die hard Federer or Nadal fans who frequently witness their heroes skipping ties. This makes the thought process change to DC is irrelevant.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
country flag oranges

oranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond repute

Only a Fedtard can come up with this thread
Hope it is clear now, tool!
oranges is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
country flag LawrenceOfTennis
Banned!

LawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Argies will lose the final anyway.
LawrenceOfTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
country flag daddy
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

daddy has a reputation beyond reputedaddy has a reputation beyond reputedaddy has a reputation beyond reputedaddy has a reputation beyond reputedaddy has a reputation beyond reputedaddy has a reputation beyond reputedaddy has a reputation beyond reputedaddy has a reputation beyond reputedaddy has a reputation beyond reputedaddy has a reputation beyond reputedaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
DC doesn't have a storied history don't say that to John McEnroe, Boris Becker, Rod Laver. The Swedes who dominated in the 80s making the final every year from 83-89 on all surfaces. Spain, France, Argentina and Australia there is Davis Cup tradition. Argentina unlike the others never won it.

Federer and Nadal aren't representative of Davis Cup.

As for Nalbandian, he is his own man if he wants to win a Davis Cup more than a Slam then he can think that. DC has a lot of history saying otherwise just shows a lack of basic research skills. Whether people like the event or not is another subject.

daddy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
country flag TennisOnWood

TennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond repute

You don't know too much about game history, do you

Returning from Australia in 1951, Tony Trabert told friends, "I don't care how many major tournaments you play in — the Davis Cup is in a class by itself. You, as an individual, are representing an entire nation. It's a wonderful—but terrifying sensation."

In 50s it was a real war between USA and Australia and that matches were something special (1954 final in front of more then 25000 people)
Old 11-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

what a troll OP
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
country flag EddieNero

EddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond repute

Ergo: Davis Cup is more prestigous than Majors because one anonymous guy said that 60 years ago.
In that case, NoleGOAT has got the edge over Olderer .
EddieNero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #11
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieNero View Post
Ergo: Davis Cup is more prestigous than Majors because one anonymous guy said that 60 years ago.
In that case, NoleGOAT has got the edge over Olderer .
Fedfans putting down the DC. Some things never change
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #12
country flag EddieNero

EddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Fedfans putting down the DC. Some things never change
Nobody complains when Nadalfans disvalue World Tour Finals, which is undoubtedly tougher to win than Davis Cup.
EddieNero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #13
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nobody complains when Nadalfans disvalue World Tour Finals, which is undoubtedly tougher to win than Davis Cup.
Nobody? Maybe you don't read this forum very often
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #14
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes we do

Davis Cup is a great accomplishment, although I wouldn't rate it when accounting a singles player's individual accomplishments. Like Fed winning a doubles gold, it's with a teammate/teammates not individual effort and you can still win a trophy just being on the team without playing a single match. Still, Davis Cup stands alone as a team competition, far more prestigious than World Team Tennis or whatever the German team one is called
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #15
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirata. View Post
Yes we do

Davis Cup is a great accomplishment, although I wouldn't rate it when accounting a singles player's individual accomplishments. Like Fed winning a doubles gold, it's with a teammate/teammates not individual effort and you can still win a trophy just being on the team without playing a single match. Still, Davis Cup stands alone as a team competition, far more prestigious than World Team Tennis or whatever the German team one is called
Of course it is, personally I'd rather win the DC in a team environment than the WTF.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote