Jury Duty is total bs... - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-04-2011, 04:05 AM   #1
country flag Tommy_Vercetti

Tommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jury Duty is total bs...

Got another summons. So sick of this crap. I might ignore it and just take my chances and maybe get fined or even arrested over it. Then at least I'll never have to do it again.
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 04:29 AM   #2
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jury Duty is total bs...

What would happen if everyone shared your attitude?
Old 04-04-2011, 04:35 AM   #3
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

You just have to go in there and be a pain to the prosecution. Show knowledge of the situation, ask questions.

The point of jury duty is to have a bunch of random people be easily influenced. If you show you are not that easy to influence, they will get rid of you.

Or just be a total racist prick like you are here. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Either way, it is better to do this than get arrested or fined, you gotta pay $, it is just a big hassle.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:37 AM   #4

Tommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
They would get rid of the ridiculous jury system in the first place. I never get picked to serve, but I have to go through the summons and interview bs like every six months it seems. I have to explain to them every time that the jury by peers system is deeply flawed and that I don't believe in it. So I never get picked, but I still have to go down here to sit all day and reschedule stuff all the time.

It's the glaring example of everything wrong with the system. Harassing and threatening people who aren't criminals with big fines and jail time to force them to do jury duty.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:18 AM   #5
country flag Macbrother

Location: Ward 47 of the Tilonus Institute for Mental Disorders
Macbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Vercetti View Post
They would get rid of the ridiculous jury system in the first place. I never get picked to serve, but I have to go through the summons and interview bs like every six months it seems. I have to explain to them every time that the jury by peers system is deeply flawed and that I don't believe in it. So I never get picked, but I still have to go down here to sit all day and reschedule stuff all the time.

It's the glaring example of everything wrong with the system. Harassing and threatening people who aren't criminals with big fines and jail time to force them to do jury duty.
So what do we do, have 3 old white men decide everything?

And that's funny, I've never been called for duty.

The greatest backhand pass ever.

fucktard. n. A special variety of retard whose condition arises not from clinically demonstrable neurological impairment, but from buttersnap shitfuckery of the mind.
Macbrother is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #6

In many cases, yes.

I favor every case being put in front of judges who actually understand the laws, know how to properly examine evidence and are not going to be tricked and manipulated by some big money sleazy scumbag defense lawyer or lock someone up for having an incompetent public defender. Instead of the system now, which is forcing random people to show up with no understanding of the law and then choose the most ignorant to decide if a person is guilty or not.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #7
country flag Seingeist

Seingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Don't even bother, buddyholly.

You can't possibly expect a poster like Vercetti to have the requisite comprehension or maturity to appreciate the pragmatic and philosophical underpinnings of a peer-jury based judicial system.

He is a more-or-less typical representative of the thoughtless, hedonistic nihilism that has unfortunately come to characterize our generation (mine and Vercetti's).
Seingeist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seingeist View Post
You can't possibly expect a poster like Vercetti to have the requisite comprehension or maturity to appreciate the pragmatic and philosophical underpinnings of a peer-jury based judicial system.
Right. Forgive me for not comprehending the logic behind choosing twelve random people off the street with no legal background (the dumber the better) and forcing them to appear as the judges of a criminal case. These people know that the longer they deliberate, the more their lives are interrupted. It's always the most outgoing and pushy person in any jury that convinces everyone of how to vote because most just want to get it over with and not bother arguing.

It's far more financially prudent, timely and pragmatic than having professional, highly educated and experienced judges decide each case and not let a person's guilt or innocence be decided by how good of a lawyer they have or how good of a prosecutor was assigned to the case.

You're the one who lacks any kind of realistic perception of the world. The jury system and forcing people to serve is a joke.

Last edited by Tommy_Vercetti : 04-04-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Tommy_Vercetti is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #9
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Vercetti View Post
In many cases, yes.

I favor every case being put in front of judges who actually understand the laws, know how to properly examine evidence and are not going to be tricked and manipulated by some big money sleazy scumbag defense lawyer or lock someone up for having an incompetent public defender. Instead of the system now, which is forcing random people to show up with no understanding of the law and then choose the most ignorant to decide if a person is guilty or not.
Well this I agree with.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #10
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a way to get out of it?

Here in Australia, almost everyone can get around doing it by getting their employer to sign that they have to work that day. The percentage of people that go is very low.

I decided to go myself though, because I don't think having to work is a valid excuse at all - and I don't like the idea of so many people not doing it!
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #11

Yes, you can get out of actually having to serve by convincing them that you are unfit or unwilling to sit on a jury.

However, as I have learned, it's virtually impossible to avoid the summons process and wasting a day sitting around waiting to have to explain why you don't want to sit on the jury. It's just a total pain in the ass, especially for someone like myself who hates the jury system.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #12
country flag orangehat

orangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond repute

The end of the world is near.

I agree with Tommy Vercetti over something

Singles: (61/10) Finals: 1-5 ATP, 3-1 Challengers
W: Rotterdam '12 F: Monte Carlo '11, Dubai '11, Nice '11, Stockholm '11, Atlanta '12
Slams:1R,3R,3R,QF

Doubles: (9/5) Finals: 3-4 ATP, 8-7 Challengers
W: US Open '12 (w/Allez-Alejo), Bercy '11 (w/ZackBusner), Winston-Salem '12 (w/Betty) F: Atlanta '12 (w/Betty), Eastbourne '11 (w/*Jean*), Stockholm '11 (w/njnetswill), Casablanca '10 (w/Gavnich77)
Slams:2R,3R,QF,W
orangehat is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #13
country flag jmf07

jmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond repute

You know there is something messed up when they are calling up ACC Superstars to do jury duty.
Baker (USA) - Bedene (SLO) - Bellucci (BRA) - Berta (SWE) - Cuevas (URU) - Domijan (USA) - Ebden (AUS) - Estrella (DOM) - Grigelis (LTU) - Guccione (AUS) - Heliovaara (FIN) - Kavcic (SLO) - King (BAH) - Kontinen (FIN) - Kubler (AUS) - Lajovic (SRB) - Matosevic (AUS) - McGee (IRE) - Millman (AUS) - Mitchell (AUS) - Nielsen (DEN) - Nieminen (FIN) - Paire (FRA) - Udomchoke (THA)
jmf07 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #14
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #15
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I would get called. I want to see the system at work. Maybe they could limit it to just retired people.

Mondays: Bridge
Tuesdays: Jury duty
Wednesday: Doctor visit
Thursday: Bridge
Friday: At leisure