2011 Clay Court Season: Houston, Barcelona, Belgrade, Madrid, Rome - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-09-2011, 02:50 AM   #31
country flag chewy

chewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2011 Clay Court Season: Houston here we come!

SF here we go!!!

bunny, would he surpass his best ranking after this tournament?
Hyeon Chung | Dennis Istomin | Ze Zhang | Go Soeda | Tatsuma Ito | Yuichi Sugita | Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi | Rohan Bopanna | Danai Udomchoke | Tsung-Hua Yang | Hiroki Moriya | Mao-Xin Gong | Hyung-Taik Lee | Paradorn Srichaphan | Takao Suzuki

Fernando Gonzalez | Max Mirnyi | Jo-Wilfried Tsonga | Tommy Haas | Ricardas Berankis | Xavier Malisse | Andreas Seppi | David Ferrer | Juan Martin Del Potro | Tim Smyczek | Olivier Rochus | Victor Troicki | Horatio Zeballos | Lleyton Hewitt | Nick Kyrgios | Mario Ancic | Peter Luczak

ATP Tokyo 2012, ATP Memphis 2013 Champion Kei Nishikori
chewy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2011, 02:52 AM   #32
country flag *bunny*

*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
SF here we go!!!

bunny, would he surpass his best ranking after this tournament?
Yep he will.
His provisinal ranking after R2 was #56, and only Cuevas had a chance to overtake him should he win the tournament. But now Kei's into SF he'll definitely imrpove his highest ranking come Monday.

Also supporting Rafael Nadal, Kei Nishikori, Lleyton Hewitt
David Ferrer, Andy Murray, Juan Martin Del Potro, Nikolay Davydenko, David Nalbandian
Goran Ivanisevic and Marat Safin
#3 Ferrero Tard
*bunny* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:53 AM   #33
country flag DanaKz

DanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond repute

Yes yes yes!!!!
Old 04-09-2011, 03:34 AM   #34
country flag chewy

chewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond reputechewy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bunny* View Post
Yep he will.
His provisinal ranking after R2 was #56, and only Cuevas had a chance to overtake him should he win the tournament. But now Kei's into SF he'll definitely imrpove his highest ranking come Monday.
Thanks bunny!

Like you've said before, he likes clay and he's also pretty good on it!
Hyeon Chung | Dennis Istomin | Ze Zhang | Go Soeda | Tatsuma Ito | Yuichi Sugita | Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi | Rohan Bopanna | Danai Udomchoke | Tsung-Hua Yang | Hiroki Moriya | Mao-Xin Gong | Hyung-Taik Lee | Paradorn Srichaphan | Takao Suzuki

Fernando Gonzalez | Max Mirnyi | Jo-Wilfried Tsonga | Tommy Haas | Ricardas Berankis | Xavier Malisse | Andreas Seppi | David Ferrer | Juan Martin Del Potro | Tim Smyczek | Olivier Rochus | Victor Troicki | Horatio Zeballos | Lleyton Hewitt | Nick Kyrgios | Mario Ancic | Peter Luczak

Old 04-09-2011, 04:13 AM   #35
country flag *bunny*

*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute*bunny* has a reputation beyond repute

"He didn't give me too much and seemed pretty comfortable with his backhand," Fish said. "I struggle at night; sometimes I feel I can't necessarily do some of the things I want to do because I don't have that split second to pick the ball up earlier than I normally do. I love to stay more agressive; standing 15-20 feet behind the baseline trying to stay in the points is not my game. [But tonight] that was strategic as I thought that was the best way to have a good clean hit on the ball... he seemd to enjoy that.

On missing the chance to break into the Top 10, Fish said, "It's disappointing, especially at a place like Houston where I have great memories. It would have been a nice place to do it, especially in the States. And being the No. 1 American is a responsibility each time you step on the court."

Nishikori said: "I don't think [Mardy] played great today," Nishikori said. "He missed a lot. I played good enough to beat him and played good clay court tennis. I was trying to run him around and hit hard to his forehand. I returned well today."

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Ten...-First-SF.aspx

David Ferrer, Andy Murray, Juan Martin Del Potro, Nikolay Davydenko, David Nalbandian
#3 Ferrero Tard
Old 04-09-2011, 06:15 AM   #36
country flag *bunny*

Same quotes as above, but the story starts with Kei's win.

http://www.tennis.com/articles/templ...1383&zoneid=25

Nishikori, Karlovic, Sweeting to semifinals in Houston
Saturday, April 9, 2011

HOUSTON (AP)—Sixth-seeded Kei Nishikori of Japan upset top-seeded Mardy Fish of the United States for a 6-3, 6-2 victory in the quarterfinals of the U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championship on Friday night.

Nishikori did not face a break point in the match and leaped from a 2-2 tie in the first set.

Fish, the top ranked American at No. 11 in the world, won only one more game the rest of the set.

“I don’t think he played great today, he was missing a lot,” Nishikori said. “But I played good enough to beat him and played good clay court tennis.”

Nishikori will face Pablo Cuevas of Uruguay in Saturday’s semifinals. Cuevas beat third-seeded Guillermo Garcia-Lopez 1-6, 7-6 (4), 6-3 earlier Friday.

“I was hitting good returns,” Nishikori said. “That’s one of the things I did great today.”

A title in Houston would have vaulted Fish into the ATP top 10 rankings.

“Being the No. 1 American, it’s a responsibility every time you step on the court, people would say ‘I’m going to go and watch so and so today and have a pretty good experience doing it,”’ Fish said.

“That’s a responsibility hopefully I’ll have for a little bit and do a better job of it than I did tonight.”

Qualifier Ivo Karlovic of Croatia boomed 24 aces and ended a 3-hour, 16-minute match with a close line call for a 7-6 (2), 6-7 (2), 7-6 (9) victory over fourth-seeded John Isner.

The 6-foot-10 (208cm) Karlovic—the tallest player on the ATP Tour—is accustomed to using his height for a good service advantage, but felt he was looking in a mirror against the 6-9 (206cm) Isner, who had 23 aces.

“Now I know what it’s like to play me,” Karlovic said. “It’s really not easy. I was trying to stay confident even if he was acing me left and right. I tried to stay calm and in the end, I don’t know what to say, I was a little luckier. It was a close match.”

Isner, who played a match that lasted more than 11 hours against Nicolas Mahut at Wimbledon last year, played a later doubles match.

Tied at 9-9 in the final tiebreaker, Karlovic slammed home his final ace and ended it with a forehand drive that clipped the line.

Isner looked hopeful that the shot was out but the ruling stood.

“I knew it was in because I saw it skid,” Karlovic said.

The match was that close throughout. There were only two service breaks in the match and those were back to back in the 11th and 12th games of the second set to force the second tiebreaker.

Karlovic, the 2007 champion, missed much of last season following Achilles’ tendon surgery. He has played six matches in seven days, including three qualifying matches and three in the main draw.

Karlovic sympathized with Isner, a one-time doubles partner.

“It’s not easy to lose like this,” Karlovic said. “It’s all about one point here and there but it was a good match and I wish him all the best in the coming weeks.”

Ryan Sweeting of the United States, gained his first career semifinal with a 3-6, 6-3, 6-1 victory over Teymuraz Gabashivili of Russia.

Sweeting, who earlier upset No. 2 seed Sam Querrey, had to overcome a slow start.

“It’s a tremendous goal to get to the semifinals, it’s my first one,” Sweeting said. “I tried not to let the pressure get to me on the court and stayed calm and focused and I think that’s a sign of maturing a little.

“Usually, I would panic a little closing out the match. Now, I also want my first final and my first win."

#3 Ferrero Tard
Old 04-09-2011, 08:39 AM   #37
country flag silverwhite

silverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond repute

A side note but I really dislike Fish. So self-centred. Him being the #1 American is more of Ducky's level dropping than anything else
silverwhite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #38
country flag chewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwhite View Post

A side note but I really dislike Fish. So self-centred. Him being the #1 American is more of Ducky's level dropping than anything else
We all need to vent a little sometimes

Back on topic, Kei's match will be on 5:30am Aust time. @@"

ORDER OF PLAY - SATURDAY, 9 APRIL, 2011
STADIUM start 1:00 pm
[Q] I Karlovic (CRO) vs [WC] R Sweeting (USA)

Not Before 2:20 PM
[6] K Nishikori (JPN) vs [7] P Cuevas (URU)

Not Before 6:00 PM-Doubles Final
[1] B Bryan (USA) / M Bryan (USA) or P Cuevas (URU) / G Garcia-Lopez (ESP) vs J Isner (USA) / S Querrey (USA)

Old 04-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #39
country flag *bunny*

Uh, oh, that'd be 4:30 a.m. my time.

...Maybe I should go to bed now...

#3 Ferrero Tard
Old 04-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #40
country flag chewy

Hope you've set your alarm bunny!

Still on serve, Kei 2-1*

Old 04-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #41
country flag chewy

Kei broke for 3-1 and then lost his own serve 3-2* : (

Old 04-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #42
country flag chewy

back to square one, Kei *3-3

Old 04-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #43
country flag chewy

Kei saves 2 bps to deuce, yada yada yada Kei holds 4-3* phew...

Old 04-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #44
country flag chewy

With help from a few sloppy shots from Cuevas, Kei breaks for *5-3!

Old 04-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #45
country flag chewy

3 set points!

Kei takes the first set 6-3!!