Glenn Weiner cheering thread. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-28-2004, 04:32 PM   #1
country flag TOP100

TOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Glenn Weiner cheering thread.

What the heck,why not.

Glenn's my nephew,so I'll cheer for him on this thread,if anyone else want to join me,please do.
TOP100 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2004, 06:51 PM   #2
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glenn Weiner cheering thread.

Oh, LW, you didn't....

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 08:10 PM   #3
country flag TOP100

TOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond reputeTOP100 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm naughty hey Fee ....it's a safer bet than the "Cheering Ferrero thread" .......is that you in the pic with Nicolas.?
Old 09-28-2004, 08:13 PM   #4
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is. You should use one of the pics I sent you to make an avatar for yourself. And I'll give you some good rep points, you newbie!

I'll go along with you. Glenn can beat everyone in the draw until he plays Jan-Mike. No one is allowed to beat JMG, in my universe anyway!
Old 09-28-2004, 09:02 PM   #5
country flag Fee

Here's the article from the ATP site...

Weiner Stuns Defending Champion Philippoussis

© Getty Images
American Glenn Weiner upset defending champion Mark Philippoussis in the first round of the Heineken Open in Shanghai. Weiner’s 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 victory earned him a place in the second round against Gilles Muller of Luxembourg, while Philippoussis suffered his fifth successive defeat.

There was more success for No. 8 seed Jan-Michael Gambill, who progressed to the second round with a 6-4, 6-3 victory over German qualifier Ivo Klec in the final match of the day. Gambill, who is looking to claim his first title of the year, will now meet Chinese wild card Ben-Qiang Zhu for a place in the quarterfinals. Zhu overcame Czech Tomas Zib 1-6, 6-4, 6-4 to win his first match of the year on the ATP circuit.

Elsewhere in first round action, Denmark’s Kristian Pless set up a clash with No. 3 seed Guillermo Canas with a 4-6, 7-5, 6-0 victory over Christophe Rochus of Belgium, while qualifier Edouard Roger-Vasselin of France defeated lucky loser Nathan Healey in three sets. Roger-Vasselin will now meet German Lars Burgsmuller for a place in the quarterfinals. Healey replaced the injured Juan Carlos Ferrero in the draw.

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID:
Weiner: “I wasn't feeling that good when I went into that much. I wasn't feel that good or positive and missing a lot of balls. Then I could tell that the injury he had in New York didn’t give him as much time to prepare. In the first set he was trying to find his game and I also played horrible. I think he thought he had me figured out after the first set and he was frustrated that he didn’t get chances to break me. I was serving pretty well all match but I was getting a lot of more free points in the second. After I broke, my confidence had to go up and I said to myself let's be positive and I had to try and maintain it. Once I got the break this gave me a reason to stay positive. Luckily I was able to hang in long enough.

“For sure its one of my best wins. I played him in Hong Kong about 10 years ago and he kicked my butt. In my mind he’s always a threat and he’s a big name, so I’m extra happy with that win.”

Philippoussis: “Physically I’m feeling good, the injury is fine. It was pretty much a terrible day out there. I wasn’t hitting the ball well and not serving well and I pretty much beat myself out there. I was not doing anything special. I just hurt myself.

“I am taking each week as it comes and trying to stay healthy. I have a few more events to go. I do wish I can stay strong and positive and start afresh next year.

“I haven’t had the time to think. I was stuck in the house with hurricanes then went to San Diego to get back in shape. I know how things started at the beginning of the year and things got worse and worse.”

Gambill: “It’s always great to win your first match of a tournament. It hasn't been a great year for me. This is my second time in Shanghai. I've been to Hong Kong and Tokyo a few times and the last time I was in Shanghai I lost in the quarterfinals to Chang. I like to play the Asian tour.

“I think this is a very open tournament now and I think that anyone that plays good tennis can win and I like my chances against anyone in the event if I keep playing well. As I get more confidence and more matches under my belt I think I can do well. That's what I am looking for, more matches.”

Burgsmuller: “It feels very good to beat Zeng because he can play good and he beat me in doubles last year so I knew he could play tennis…I couldn't finish it. I think my brain was already in the locker room mentally. Then I got a break and had to serve at 5/4 and then also on a match point I couldn't finish it so I was a little bit lucky in the end.”

Zhu: “t is very important because it is the first time I make a breakthrough in singles. It is the right time also because the Heineken Open has been played for six years and last year we made a big achievement in the doubles when he reached the final.

“I think it was not so much tactics but it was important with the mind. It was a psychological win. Like in Davis Cup in Nanjing, we played better and better. The strong mind helps me.”

(On the fact that Chinese women players have had a lot of success): “I think it was very important, it is perfect and it is great encouragement for us to play more hard. We have tried our best but we have not got to same high level as our women players.”
Old 09-29-2004, 07:43 AM   #6
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

Kristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond repute

Glenn sounds really well spoken. Can you guys tell me anything about him? Is he a nice guy? I only noticed him today, on the news. Before today I just thought he was an American with a funny name... but then I saw that he was South African-born, and that's earned him some brownie points

♥Jonas Björkman Jim Thomas♥
Larsson ~ Legner ~ Scheffers ~ Kruszelnicki ~ Cattaneo ~ Jonsson ~ Andersson
Kristen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 07:03 PM   #7
country flag TOP100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorkman_Girl
Glenn sounds really well spoken. Can you guys tell me anything about him? Is he a nice guy? I only noticed him today, on the news. Before today I just thought he was an American with a funny name... but then I saw that he was South African-born, and that's earned him some brownie points
Hi BG

He's my nephew,so I can tell you a little about him.

Born in SAfrica.
Emigrated to the States when he was 10.
Scholarship to Nick Bolleterri when he was 14.
Ranked No 1 in the USA in the U18s.
Won the Easter Bowl and turned Pro.
Got his Ranking to 175 and then had shoulder surgery.
Didn't play for two years after surgery.
Came back and did really well in Doubles,got his Doubles ranking to 75.
The ATP changed the Doubles Rules,so he started singles again.
In the last year he's got his singles ranking down from the mid 400s to 117.
He's spent a lot of time this year with his best friend Tommy Haas and "Red" who's their coach,I think Tommy has helped Glenn to gain some confidence and "Red" has taught Glenn to enjoy playing Tennis.

That's about it.....hope that helped.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:05 PM   #8
country flag TOP100

Fee

how do I do the Avatar thing.?
Old 09-29-2004, 07:27 PM   #9
country flag Fee

Find a picture and reduce it down to 120 x 120 (I think) and then upload it to your profile. Go to the top of the page and click on User CP, there's more info there I think (signature, profile, whatnot).

If you don't have photo editing software, let me know. I'll find my Glenn disc and make one for you. Maybe I'll give you a picture of me instead, or Tommy's rear end
Old 09-29-2004, 09:04 PM   #10
country flag TOP100

Thanks Fee

I dont have any software to do an edit,so I just used this little pic that my bro sent me...it looks cool.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:31 PM   #11
country flag Fee

I'm so offended that you didn't want to use one of my pictures. I'm not speaking to you anymore.

Just kidding.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:50 AM   #12
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

Kristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks TOP100
Thats quite a nice jump in the rankings : ) I'll have to have a look out for him in Australia next year!
Kristen.

♥Jonas Björkman Jim Thomas♥
Larsson ~ Legner ~ Scheffers ~ Kruszelnicki ~ Cattaneo ~ Jonsson ~ Andersson
Kristen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 04:14 AM   #13
country flag TOP100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fee
I'm so offended that you didn't want to use one of my pictures. I'm not speaking to you anymore.

Just kidding.
There we go. Photographed by Fee Fee at the Mercedes Cup Los Angeles 2004.

Last edited by TOP100 : 09-30-2004 at 04:21 AM.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:36 AM   #14
country flag Fee

OH NO YOU DIDN'T! NO ONE calls me fee fee (and lives to say it a second time).

I can see I'm going to have to do this for you. There has to be a better photo, and it will need some zoom editing. Can't do it tonight because I've been uploading shirtless pics of JMG in Shanghai to my site (hint, hint, go look). I'll find that disc and get you one tomorrow.

Fee fee and other things that show intense displeasure.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Old 09-30-2004, 06:48 AM   #15
country flag Fee

Hey LW
Go back to your other avatar if you like. I looked through my photos and they aren't as good as I remembered. I don't think I can use any of them to make a decent avatar for you and the blue shirt one you had before looked better. Shouldn't have ribbed you so much before I checked into it. My bad.