+ 40-match winning streak, which one the most impressive? - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Whic streak is the most impressive?

Borg 19 40.43%
Federer 13 27.66%
Lendl 2 4.26%
McEnroe 3 6.38%
Vilas 10 21.28%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #61
country flag Auscon

Auscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: + 40-match winning streak, which one the most impressive?

Anyone have player rankings from some of these other streaks?

Incl DC, Djoker's scalps are;

No 1 - x4
Top 5 - x10
Top 10 - x13
Top 20 - x18
Top 50 - x 32

& the rest of the Aussie armada

Rafael Nadal
Guillermo Coria

Taylor Dent

...better to reign in hell than serve in heaven...
Auscon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 12:03 PM   #62
country flag Voo de Mar

Voo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisGrandSlam View Post
Anyway, Djoker's 39-winning streak is more impressive than

- Borg 49 in season 1979-90 (no GS, but w/ 2 walk over) *
Borg won 49 matches in 1978 - he clinched Roland Garros and Wimbledon titles then, lost the streak in the US Open final, so the streak included 20 consecutive wins in majors.
Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces

Chiquita bananas ECC Antwerp
Voo de Mar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #63
country flag BK123

BK123 has a reputation beyond reputeBK123 has a reputation beyond reputeBK123 has a reputation beyond reputeBK123 has a reputation beyond reputeBK123 has a reputation beyond reputeBK123 has a reputation beyond reputeBK123 has a reputation beyond reputeBK123 has a reputation beyond reputeBK123 has a reputation beyond reputeBK123 has a reputation beyond reputeBK123 has a reputation beyond repute

Vilas won 46 on clay? That's the least impressive of the lot.
BK123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:17 PM   #64
country flag Chase Visa

Chase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond repute

I think that Djokovic might actually have a claim for this. Most of his tournaments were far tougher than the other ones faced.
Chase Visa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #65
country flag zlaja777

zlaja777 has a reputation beyond reputezlaja777 has a reputation beyond reputezlaja777 has a reputation beyond reputezlaja777 has a reputation beyond reputezlaja777 has a reputation beyond reputezlaja777 has a reputation beyond reputezlaja777 has a reputation beyond reputezlaja777 has a reputation beyond reputezlaja777 has a reputation beyond reputezlaja777 has a reputation beyond reputezlaja777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voo de Mar View Post
Borg won 49 matches in 1978 - he clinched Roland Garros and Wimbledon titles then, lost the streak in the US Open final, so the streak included 20 consecutive wins in majors.
User Moose Malloy from TW posted this:

I got confirmation from the atp:

"Borg did have a streak of 41 in 1979-80 and he also had a mark in 1978
of 35 matches in a row not 49 because he had two walk overs in successive
tournaments. It was Borg's decision to withdraw in the middle of the
tournament not his opponent. A losing walk over ends a streak while a
winning walk over allows it to continue without counting the victory by
walk over.

This was agreed in consultation with the ITF. Hope that helps!"

So it's Vilas after all.
zlaja777 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #66
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

MAY 16, 2011, Wall Street Journal Sports Blogs
The Dominant Djokovic Streak

If Novak Djokovic wins seven matches in Paris at the French Open, which starts next week, he’ll have tied Guillermo Vilas’s Open-era record for most consecutive wins, with 46 — and he’ll have his first French Open crown. But by some measures, he already has the most impressive men’s tennis winning streak in modern history.

Djokovic extended his streak, which began six months ago with his two wins in Serbia’s triumph in the Davis Cup, by beating Rafael Nadal in the Rome final on Sunday. He has now won all 37 matches he’s played this year, and 39 straight overall. That ranks sixth best all time, and second best in the past 15 years, behind Roger Federer‘s 41 consecutive match wins between fall 2006 and spring 2007. Comparing Djokovic’s run to Federer’s 41 straight — and to his 35 straight in 2005, the next best streak in the past 15 years — makes more sense than comparing Djokovic’s run to Vilas’s, which came when top pros played many more small tournaments. Twice in finals during his run, Vilas beat players ranked outside the Top 25 — and one of them was outside the Top 100. (The most recent streak of 35 or more wins besides Djokovic’s and Federer’s was Thomas Muster‘s in 1995, with all 35 wins coming on clay.)

Federer’s streaks were certainly impressive, and dominant: In each he won two Grand Slam tournaments and one Masters event, the next tier down; the later streak also included a tour final, a once-a-year event somewhere in between a Masters event and a major. Djokovic, though, has won a major and four Masters events during his streak. Winning those may be even harder than winning a major, judging from top players’ records in those events: Though there are nine each season, Federer has just 17 titles compared to 16 at the four-times-a-year majors, while Nadal has the most Masters titles ever — 19, just three more than Federer’s record for most majors. With four Masters events left in the calendar, Djokovic has four chances to break the record for Masters titles in a single season (four), which Federer and Nadal each have accomplished.

Moreover, Djokovic has been more dominant in his streak than Federer was in his, and against tougher competition. He’s won 90% of his sets and 65% of games, while serving up a bagel set every 10 sets. In Federer’s first streak he won 89% of sets and 61% of games, with a bagel every 19 sets. His second, longer streak, was closer to Djokovic’s level, with 93% of sets won and 63% of games, and a bagel every 12 sets. Even more impressively, Djokovic has faced and beaten top competition repeatedly. Just three of his opponents ranked outside the Top 100 (and one of those, James Blake, is a former Top Five player.) Federer faced four players outside the Top 100 in each streak. Djokovic’s opponents’ median ranking has been 21, compared to 25 in Federer’s more recent streak and 35 in his earlier one. And Djokovic particularly has stared down his top competition, beating Top Five players 10 times and fellow Top Three players seven times — Nadal four times and Federer three times. That’s more than Federer’s number of matches against competition that good in his two streaks combined: Just nine matches against Top Five players and just two against players in the top three, including, crucially, just one against Nadal, who has won two-thirds of their career meetings. Djokovic had a losing record against both Federer and Nadal before the streak, and still does, but he’s significantly narrowed the gap against both of them.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic provisional nº2

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #67
country flag Voo de Mar

Voo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlaja777 View Post
User Moose Malloy from TW posted this:

I got confirmation from the atp:

"Borg did have a streak of 41 in 1979-80 and he also had a mark in 1978
of 35 matches in a row not 49 because he had two walk overs in successive
tournaments. It was Borg's decision to withdraw in the middle of the
tournament not his opponent. A losing walk over ends a streak while a
winning walk over allows it to continue without counting the victory by
walk over.

This was agreed in consultation with the ITF. Hope that helps!"

So it's Vilas after all.
I don't know where the "41" comes from.

Borg won:

49 consecutive matches in 1978
48 consecutive matches in 1979-80 (35 if we don't count 3 Invitational tournaments which are dubious)

During the first streak Borg gave two walkovers, during the second streak - one walkover.

Walkover isn't count neither as a win nor loss.

I think to prepare a solid stats you have to deliver all the details.

So for me Vilas holds the longest streak of winning matches whilst Borg the longest streak of matches without a defeat, it's some kind of distinction.

The same thing with McEnroe, you can say that he holds records:

42 - the longest winning streak to open a year
39 - the longest winning streak to open a season

When D'Joke finally loses, I will prepare a solid stats on my blog

I hope he wins at least "50" because I don't like Vilas's 46 circulating everywhere without explanation of Borg's case
Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces

Old 05-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #68
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

From these options I'd pick Fed. Don't like Borg's walkovers and Vilas' 1 surface at all.

i want something else to get me through this life....
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #69
country flag Voo de Mar

Quote:
Ok, "41" comes from the fact that Borg gave a walkover during his streak 1979-80 after first 7 wins so 7+41 = 48.

Anyway, I'm more eager to say Borg won 35 in these years because personally I don't understand why tournament like Pepsi Grand Slam with 4 participants counts whilst solid tournament in Antwerp with 28-draw doesn't
Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces

Old 05-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #70
country flag Garson007

Garson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond repute

Voo de Mar, again as I have stated before, it is eventually the history book writers (The ATP and the ITF) that says who had what streak.
Garson007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #71
country flag Voo de Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson007 View Post
Voo de Mar, again as I have stated before, it is eventually the history book writers (The ATP and the ITF) that says who had what streak.
If you treat them as an undisputed truth, I don't.

How can I do this when I see such a shit like here

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Reliabil...reer-List.aspx

where is written Sampras won 274 tie-breaks whilst he won 328.

If in "Genesis" is written that some Jews lived 500 or 600 years and you're an orthodox believer you have to believe, but for me it's a bullshit, on the assumption that today's knowledge is much more closer than whenever to say you something credible about people lifespan.
Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces

Old 05-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #72
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Djokovic run beats my '84 streak - McEnroe

By Martyn Herman

LONDON | Wed May 18, 2011 12:47am BST

LONDON May 17 (Reuters) - Novak Djokovic's 37-match winning streak since the start of the year is already more impressive than the record 42 consecutive wins posted by John McEnroe in 1984, the American said on Tuesday.

World number two Djokovic has enjoyed complete domination so far this year by winning seven titles, including the Australian Open, four Masters Series events and ending world number one Rafa Nadal's supremacy on clay.

Should the Serbian reach the final of next week's French Open, he will edge ahead of McEnroe's 1984 streak, which was ended in the final at Roland Garros by arch rival Ivan Lendl.

"For me personally it brings back memories of '84," former world number one and seven-times grand slam champion McEnroe told reporters in a conference call on Tuesday.

"I'm quite excited at the timing of this because he could break my record at the French Open. I've followed his progress and to put it mildly it's been quite amazing to see how much confidence he is playing with.

"Records are made to be broken but at the same time now there is more competition, more athleticism, and deeper fields and more depth in the sport so his record is even more impressive than mine.

"Also in '84 the Aussie Open was was played at the end of the year so I hadn't played a major when I put that run together. My first major was the French where the streak was broken.

"It's impressive given he came in number three and to dominate Federer and Nadal the way he has, to see what he has done, it's a little surprising."

Djokovic outclasssed Nadal for the second week in succession to win the Rome Masters on Sunday, having also beaten the Spanish claycourt king in Madrid the week before.

The Serb, whose total streak is 39 when taking into account his two wins in the Davis Cup final at the end of 2010, has also beaten former dominant force Roger Federer three times already this year and stands on the brink of taking over as the world number one from Nadal.

However, McEnroe, who is playing on the Champions Tour which culminates in the Aegon Masters at London's Royal Albert Hall later this year, has a word of warning for Djokovic.

"Rafa is certainly tougher to beat in a best of five match," the American great said. "Going back to '84, I beat Lendl twice on clay going into the French then got up two sets and lost in five. Certainly Novak has to be careful because Nadal fights right to the end."

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic provisional nº2

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #73
country flag xdrewitdajx

xdrewitdajx has a reputation beyond reputexdrewitdajx has a reputation beyond reputexdrewitdajx has a reputation beyond reputexdrewitdajx has a reputation beyond reputexdrewitdajx has a reputation beyond reputexdrewitdajx has a reputation beyond reputexdrewitdajx has a reputation beyond reputexdrewitdajx has a reputation beyond reputexdrewitdajx has a reputation beyond reputexdrewitdajx has a reputation beyond reputexdrewitdajx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Borg won:

49 consecutive matches in 1978
48 consecutive matches in 1979-80 (35 if we don't count 3 Invitational tournaments which are dubious)

During the first streak Borg gave two walkovers, during the second streak - one walkover.

Walkover isn't count neither as a win nor loss.

I think to prepare a solid stats you have to deliver all the details.

So for me Vilas holds the longest streak of winning matches whilst Borg the longest streak of matches without a defeat, it's some kind of distinction.

The same thing with McEnroe, you can say that he holds records:

42 - the longest winning streak to open a year
39 - the longest winning streak to open a season

When D'Joke finally loses, I will prepare a solid stats on my blog

I hope he wins at least "50" because I don't like Vilas's 46 circulating everywhere without explanation of Borg's case
but, from that post you quoted, it appears that a winning walkover doesn't count as a win without ending a streak, but a losing walkover ends a streak. It sounds (from the above post) that this has been agreed upon, by the people in charge. So I don't really get why your version is necessarily the "correct" one, since it's just a difference in how streaks are counted: for you, losing by walkover doesn't end the streak, and for tennis's governing body, it does.

I don't have a problem with losing walkovers ending a streak...it'd be weird if you can lose a tournament but still be on a winning streak...
xdrewitdajx is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #74
country flag DrJules

DrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that there is still some uncertainty about which is the longest streak.

Federer 17 GS, 6 Year End Masters, 21 Master Series.
Nadal 14 GS, 0 Year End Masters, 27 Master Series, 1 Olympic Gold.
Djokovic 6 GS, 3 Year End Masters, 19 Master Series.

DrJules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #75
country flag Voo de Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrewitdajx View Post
So I don't really get why your version is necessarily the "correct" one, since it's just a difference in how streaks are counted: for you, losing by walkover doesn't end the streak, and for tennis's governing body, it does.
I never said in this thread that my version is the correct one. I just delivered more detailed info and everyone can interpret it according to own convictions.

ATP is full of different mistakes so there's no point to treat it as a "Holy Scripture".
Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces